I don't usually do this but...

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dese.1382

Dese.1382

This isn’t me just something I came across awhile back.

In all honesty the Fire combo with a similar build does more damage, assuming you can land it, the Air combo is just easier.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Myst.5783

Myst.5783

Hehe, I love the S/D burst build.

I run a slightly more bunker oriented version of this build. So funny running up to someone and blowing half their health bar off instantly.

This build is hilarious against GC builds if you happen to find one. I -can- go up against balanced leaning bunker builds and put up a good fight, but it takes a lot of skill, luck and relies on using tactics that don’t work more than a couple times on the same person. It basically boils down to surviving and landing your fire burst.

This build won’t win you many duels, but its pretty good when the numbers start increasing a little. Like someone else has said, you’re a opportunistic killer.

Its great at gimping distracted players.

Currently playing: Mesmer/Ele/Theif
JQ

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dese.1382

Dese.1382

This one is me against at gc thief and im in full PTV Armor/Accessories and Valk Scepter/Dagger

Thats with 1800Tou/2700 Armor with Earth #2. Its a fun build for small man WvW.

Attachments:

in Elementalist

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

I watched a video on youtube showing something similar. He kinda insta killed anything that he had targetted.
First you RTL in and air-no.5 him down. (traits+sigil that give you 30% more dmg on knocked-down foes) air-2, arcane blast, arcane wave (prob sigil that does lightning thing on crit) but I forgot what he did afterward. All I remember is that nothing survived.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Asomal.6453

Asomal.6453

I guess I don’t see why it’s such a big deal. It’s high burst and it happens very quickly, sure, but a decent roaming thief could do pretty much the same thing, except you wouldn’t even be able to see them coming at all and they would have an even easier time escaping afterwards..

Yes, it’s the same burst as the thief. However, it’s ranged! Plus, the ele still have acess to all the CC’s, healing, boons aaand he doesn’t need to run full zerg to hit hard.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sunflowers.1729

Sunflowers.1729

I guess I don’t see why it’s such a big deal. It’s high burst and it happens very quickly, sure, but a decent roaming thief could do pretty much the same thing, except you wouldn’t even be able to see them coming at all and they would have an even easier time escaping afterwards..

Yes, it’s the same burst as the thief. However, it’s ranged! Plus, the ele still have acess to all the CC’s, healing, boons aaand he doesn’t need to run full zerg to hit hard.

Thief burst can also be done from the same range (steal’s range is 900), and Thieves are not useless after their burst either (e.g. stealth)

In addition, I went to the mists and tried both combos on the target heavy golem (The Ele combo, and Steal+CnD+Backstab) with a berserker amulet.

The Thief combo, using Assassin’s Signet, a 25/30/0/0/15 build, and Steal+CnD+Backstab+Sigil of Fire, kills the golem instantly

The Ele combo, using Earthquake+Lightning Flash (for the bonus damage to knocked-down targets) + Arcane Power + Air Attunement + Lightning Strike + Arcane Blast + Sigil of Fire, took the golem to about 30% hp. The build is 0/30/0/20/20.

Now I did this test before mug was nerfed to be unable to crit, but the Thief combo will still do significantly more damage. However, I might have remembered incorrectly, so someone else should test it too.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

You don’t need to use arcane power. You don’t use the knoced down trait because roaming builds will have stun breakers or stability ready for updraft.

You use phantaram’s build of 2 arcane utilities, and do an attunement switch from earth after hurl into air2>lightning flash>fireattunement>flame circle>phoenix>fire grab. You use the arcane utilities after the fire circle for the stack of might and the projectile finisher.

The thief combo does more damage in a short time window but for damage total the ele combo does more, including conditions, and the thief combo is negated by any evasive stunbreaker.

You’ll also note that Phantaram runs 1500ish toughness while most gib spec thieves run full zerker (granted because stealth and teleports by themselves are really potent defenses that allow thieves to not have to spec as much into toughness).

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sunflowers.1729

Sunflowers.1729

You don’t use the knoced down trait because roaming builds will have stun breakers or stability ready for updraft.

the thief combo is negated by any evasive stunbreaker.

Dat double standard.

I used Earthquake to try and maximize the burst damage, not because it is effective against actual players (although if you press buttons fast enough, it may be).

Edit: And the combo that you mentioned is even easier to break out of than the one I used, or the Thief combo.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

You don’t use the knoced down trait because roaming builds will have stun breakers or stability ready for updraft.

the thief combo is negated by any evasive stunbreaker.

Dat double standard.

I used Earthquake to try and maximize the burst damage, not because it is effective against actual players (although if you press buttons fast enough, it may be).

Edit: And the combo that you mentioned is even easier to break out of than the one I used, or the Thief combo.

The thief combo relies on cnd to land. Your combo is piecemeal burst. It’s not that hard to understand why one is hurt more by an evade/stunbreak than the other.

You can dodge air 2 but you may not dodge the arcane utilities, or you may dodge the phoenix but no the firegrab.

The combo I mentioned you don’t break out from. You dodge the hurl, or you preemptively dodge through air burst, or you dodge the fire circle or the phoenix.

The difference between my combo and yours is that my build doesn’t have a wasted trait for 40 secs that something is on cooldown. My build doesn’t have a wasted trait when I come across a BM bunker ranger that opened with RaO for over 20 seconds of stability, or whenever there is a guardian around or if I come across one of those derpy d/d bunker eles that love to pop their armor of earth at the beginning of a fight.

I’d much rather take extra damage when a target is low or 10% extra damage on air any day. That is pretty guaranteed damage regardless of what your opponent brings.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

@Asomal, Sunflowers answered your question pretty much as I would’ve.

The Thief is going to potentially pop out of nowhere to deliver his full burst in less than a second, but here’s the thing: even if that burst fails to kill you, he can just stealth and reset the fight. And even if some of his burst does miss, he can Heartseeker Heartseeker Heartseeker to finish you off (I don’t hold with these newfangled S/D or P/D thieves, it’s D/D all the way for me!).

The S/D Ele certainly has a lot of damage options, but most of them are easily missed (too easily missed IMO, but that’s neither here nor there). And if he misses his big burst, he can’t just reset the fight without running away.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

in Elementalist

Posted by: PinCushion.7390

PinCushion.7390

@Asomal, Sunflowers answered your question pretty much as I would’ve.

The Thief is going to potentially pop out of nowhere to deliver his full burst in less than a second, but here’s the thing: even if that burst fails to kill you, he can just stealth and reset the fight. And even if some of his burst does miss, he can Heartseeker Heartseeker Heartseeker to finish you off (I don’t hold with these newfangled S/D or P/D thieves, it’s D/D all the way for me!).

The S/D Ele certainly has a lot of damage options, but most of them are easily missed (too easily missed IMO, but that’s neither here nor there). And if he misses his big burst, he can’t just reset the fight without running away.

That’s a problem with WvW Thieves, not a problem with Ele.

And I would argue that Thief being imba is specific only to WvW roaming, due to how resetting a fight doesn’t cost anything.

In PvE it usually resets the mob’s health too. In sPvP it costs you the opportunity to capture a node. In WvW it might cost you a supply camp or sentry point, but usually it costs nothing.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

You misunderstand me.

My point is, Anet is perfectly ok with the Thief doing stuff like that. Roaming in WvW is supposed to be one of their niches. Having a class that can apply high burst with little warning is an intentional design decision. They’ve been trying to get the tuning on the thief’s burst just right but the paradigm is fundamentally purposeful.

Consequently, it isn’t out of line for specific Ele builds to do essentially the same thing except not as well.

EDIT: Also, stealth no longer resets mob aggro, specifically so thieves can use it in PvE without screwing themselves.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

(edited by Blaine Tog.8304)

in Elementalist

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Hi there LightningBlaze, I fought you quite a few times this weekend. Really insane burst you got. About 13-15k instant dmg on my 2500 armor…

For those that don’t know, its not a GC or “zerker” build…
I didnt see his armor, but I’d say its mostly valk/cavalier… maybe some knights. He still have good hp/armor, and above that, mobility.

What it happens is the stacking hits when going from earth to air.
Keeps distance, earth 2-1-3, blinding flash into melee distance, air att, air 1-2-3, arcane blast.
If things go bad, RTL away, FGS, run…

Not only the burst is mostly instant but any option to “see the animations” is made quite difficult for being asura.

The trait set-up I’d guess its a 0/20/0/30/20 or some variant.

Nice burst man… I’ve been out of the ele a long time, but it made me want to step-up my game.

Send me a msg in-game, would like to hear more about the build with the “possible changes”.

Cheers!

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

Hi there LightningBlaze, I fought you quite a few times this weekend. Really insane burst you got. About 13-15k instant dmg on my 2500 armor…

For those that don’t know, its not a GC or “zerker” build…
I didnt see his armor, but I’d say its mostly valk/cavalier… maybe some knights. He still have good hp/armor, and above that, mobility.

What it happens is the stacking hits when going from earth to air.
Keeps distance, earth 2-1-3, blinding flash into melee distance, air att, air 1-2-3, arcane blast.
If things go bad, RTL away, FGS, run…

Not only the burst is mostly instant but any option to “see the animations” is made quite difficult for being asura.

The trait set-up I’d guess its a 0/20/0/30/20 or some variant.

Nice burst man… I’ve been out of the ele a long time, but it made me want to step-up my game.

Send me a msg in-game, would like to hear more about the build with the “possible changes”.

Cheers!

Hi Llobo, I’m glad you enjoy our duels! I always have a blast whenever I roam with my ele in wvw and encounter great players! You guess not being glassy and difficult to see asura animation right but the rest is wrong bud. I posted my armor and stats on another thread so that part is not unknown. That combo rotation you stated I only use it if you were getting away to get closer to you but not necessarily to get to melee distance.

If you were playing an ele and we are 1v1 for the first time, I like to start off with water/earth 1 skill to see how bunker your ele is . If it hits and based on the numbers I see, I follow up with switching to earth or fire. (excluding all thieves….. with them I use the same 2 starting rotations, [earth 1 or 2, air, air 2, blast] or [earth 4+lightning flash, air, air 2,] = down because they are all too squishy).

RTL, FGS + Lightning Flash to get away from zerg or when I am outnumbered is correct too. For the past 3 weeks I have been using FGS within combat too. specially against a very bunker players (armor 3000+) or 1v2 bunkers/2v4 or something similar. The results are quite amazing. I love this elite. I’ll tell you more about it ingame! we’ll keep in touch, Later!

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Razor.6392

Razor.6392

0/30/10/20/10 (or maybe even 0 in arcana, if that was the case then the points would be in water… maybe in fire)

ether renewal, arcane blast, lightning flash, ? (I could swear that you use the auto armor of earth from traits)

sigil of crit chance stacking into flat crit chance
sigil of air (or sigil of energy)

scholar runes

ascended valkyrie trinkets (those with some hp on them while keeping the crit dmg)
cavalier / valk armors

how close? I still can’t believe the 5000 damage hits on air #2. That thing has 1k base damage at best with no might stacks… how can it crit to 5000?

Level 60 pvp
Ele & thief main (full ascended)
Down with the braindead faceroll classes.

(edited by Razor.6392)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

I’ve been trying to figure out a burst build myself. I know pumping up air is a must for the burst. And i’m really loving that lightning strike thing when you attune to air. I don’t want My hp to be too low so I like to keep some points in water, which is also helpful for cleansing conditions and helps when i’m with other people too when they get nailed with something. 10 points in arcane seems fine, you really don’t need to swap that much if you’re bursting. Just unsure where to put the remaining points. Is it even worth investing in fire at this point? It still seems kinda blah even with the buff to the 30 trait. earth seems like it would be nice though for the stability thing we’ll be getting in the patch. So far i’m using a 0/30/0/30/10 build with knights accessories and armor, berserker scepter, and soldiers dagger. I’m definitely going to be playing around with some stuff after the patch though. Unsure of what runes to use though. Runes of air are very tempting. 6 of them and you have a 20% chance to do a lightning strike. Is that like our skill or like the lighting strike from the sigil? it just sounds really good on paper, but im not so sure. I could always just go with all divinity I guess for the crit and + to all stats. Eagle and scholar are possible candidates too.

(edited by Nikkinella.8254)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Hi Llobo, I’m glad you enjoy our duels! I always have a blast whenever I roam with my ele in wvw and encounter great players! You guess not being glassy and difficult to see asura animation right but the rest is wrong bud. I posted my armor and stats on another thread so that part is not unknown. That combo rotation you stated I only use it if you were getting away to get closer to you but not necessarily to get to melee distance.

If you were playing an ele and we are 1v1 for the first time, I like to start off with water/earth 1 skill to see how bunker your ele is . If it hits and based on the numbers I see, I follow up with switching to earth or fire. (excluding all thieves….. with them I use the same 2 starting rotations, [earth 1 or 2, air, air 2, blast] or [earth 4+lightning flash, air, air 2,] = down because they are all too squishy).

RTL, FGS + Lightning Flash to get away from zerg or when I am outnumbered is correct too. For the past 3 weeks I have been using FGS within combat too. specially against a very bunker players (armor 3000+) or 1v2 bunkers/2v4 or something similar. The results are quite amazing. I love this elite. I’ll tell you more about it ingame! we’ll keep in touch, Later!

You say your’e an asura on BG right? A few days ago I was commanding a small group hitting one of BG’s towers and there was this little ele S/D asura hitting me pretty kitten hard while I was on a ram and ive got about 2.8k armor. Do you happen to have a legendary or some shiny scepter? I couldn’t get a close look at the guy as he kept hitting me, then hopping into the tower, but it hurt a bit. If that was you, then kudos. your build does hurt, would take some 8-10k off me easy since I was on a ram and couldn’t dodge.

I’m on SoR and would LOVE to duel you so I can see what you’re rocking. I’ve been trying to figure out a build of my own for S/D that has a great burst and good survivability and would like a comparison.

Edit – I think I’ve figured out your build from the stats you’ve shown in another thread, save what gear you are using. That’s eluding me a bit, as your health and armor shouldn’t ( according to the build calculator I’m using) be possible with that much crit chance and crit damage. I’m 1k health short and 400 armor short as well as 8% crit chance short too. I’l still fool around, but I think I’ve got most of it, and no I haven’t used a single piece of valkyrie like you said. It doesn’t seem like the stat allocation should be possible, though I can see that it is. Do you use ascended gear? or non-ascended? I’ll PM you a build that I’ve been working on, do you mind giving some comments on it?

Though I would still love a duel.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

(edited by Raif.9507)

in Elementalist

LightningBlaze.4913

You say your’e an asura on BG right? A few days ago I was commanding a small group hitting one of BG’s towers and there was this little ele S/D asura hitting me pretty kitten hard while I was on a ram and ive got about 2.8k armor. Do you happen to have a legendary or some shiny scepter? I couldn’t get a close look at the guy as he kept hitting me, then hopping into the tower, but it hurt a bit. If that was you, then kudos. your build does hurt, would take some 8-10k off me easy since I was on a ram and couldn’t dodge.

I’m on SoR and would LOVE to duel you so I can see what you’re rocking. I’ve been trying to figure out a build of my own for S/D that has a great burst and good survivability and would like a comparison.

Edit – I think I’ve figured out your build from the stats you’ve shown in another thread, save what gear you are using. That’s eluding me a bit, as your health and armor shouldn’t ( according to the build calculator I’m using) be possible with that much crit chance and crit damage. I’m 1k health short and 400 armor short as well as 8% crit chance short too. I’l still fool around, but I think I’ve got most of it, and no I haven’t used a single piece of valkyrie like you said. It doesn’t seem like the stat allocation should be possible, though I can see that it is. Do you use ascended gear? or non-ascended? I’ll PM you a build that I’ve been working on, do you mind giving some comments on it?

Hi Raif, I saw your pm and replied to you. Yesss it is one of my horrible habits….. going straight for the commander in a enemy zerg, even if the commander is all the way at the back i try to go around most of the zerg and get him… that’s how I get myself kill most of the time and texting while i am in battle lol. Even thought I am a solo and small group roamer, I tend to help my server as much as I can with constantly taking/defending camps, stalling enemies, telling our commander where the enemy zerg is heading and in your case trying to destroy rams to reduce the dmg towards our gate or killing enemy commanders xD. I have the legendary scepter. I was working on getting the legendary dagger since I obtained its precursors but it is just too much work to do over again that I won’t do for now.. I do have full ascended trinkets and pm you back the mix I run. Absolutely lets have fun duels, I roam at night after 9pm est most of the time, if you find me pm me in game and we’ll coordinate a time for the duels.

in Elementalist

Razor.6392

Hi Raif, I saw your pm and replied to you. Yesss it is one of my horrible habits….. going straight for the commander in a enemy zerg, even if the commander is all the way at the back i try to go around most of the zerg and get him… that’s how I get myself kill most of the time and texting while i am in battle lol. Even thought I am a solo and small group roamer, I tend to help my server as much as I can with constantly taking/defending camps, stalling enemies, telling our commander where the enemy zerg is heading and in your case trying to destroy rams to reduce the dmg towards our gate or killing enemy commanders xD. I have the legendary scepter. I was working on getting the legendary dagger since I obtained its precursors but it is just too much work to do over again that I won’t do for now.. I do have full ascended trinkets and pm you back the mix I run. Absolutely lets have fun duels, I roam at night after 9pm est most of the time, if you find me pm me in game and we’ll coordinate a time for the duels.

Why won’t you reply to my post? perhaps I’m really close to guessing your build?

Level 60 pvp

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Why won’t you reply to my post? perhaps I’m really close to guessing your build?

Just PM him, he’ll send it to you there. The build took me some 3 seconds to figure out from looking at his stats that he posted in a previous thread he made. I PM’ed him with a guess, he answered back very politely and with some of his own builds. Just do it that way and you’ll get your answer.

And after working on my own version of his build with my current gear for a S/D Burst build:

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/elementalist/?1.0|b.1g.h1h.8.1c.h4|0.0.0.0.0.0|1c.71g.1g.a7.1c.71h.1g.a7.1c.71j.1g.a7|2s.0.2s.d1e.3s.d1e.2v.0.3v.0.2v.d1e|0.p16.0.p56.k56|40.7|1l.1o.1u.1v.28|e

(That S/D burst build isn’t done yet, since I don’t have the runes I want in the armor just yet)

That hits people with Lightning Strike from 3.5k to about 4.3k on average with a few might stacks and such and no vulnerability. I’m sure if i added some more crit damage and crit and some power maybe, I could get the 5k with lightning strike easy as when I had full stacks of bloodlust and vulnerability on my target (5 stacks) I hit the 5k a few times. People melted with that setup right there. It was crazy. I do have to learn how to use it as I’m certainly more squishy (ive got like 300 less armor) and less condi clearing than I’m used to and no EA. That and I’ve got to learn to use those heals better (Trident and Cleansing Wave) with the timing since I lose health faster and am at range a bit. It’s all learning the playstyle. I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it soon enough. But that damage is there, anyone who gets hit with the full combo or even just the 3 hits of Pheonix is going to get hurt.

@Lightningblaze – Then yea that was you hitting me. I had to drop off that ram a few times to heal up because I was low on health. I know what you look like now! I’ll find you! hehe I love challenging fights against a good elementalist. You do have some great burst though and now I know how!

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

(edited by Raif.9507)

in Elementalist

LightningBlaze.4913

Perphaps….. you got most of the things down right. I logged in and been playing for the past 10 mins in wvw and trying the fresh air, arcane lightning and obsidian focus and omg my burst and survivability is a lot more. S/d burst build eles will surely be a major complain from the other professions more than ever now. The insane increase speed of fire phoenix is ridiculous as well, just love it.The nerf will definitely come but until then I will enjoy this op build lol.

(edited by LightningBlaze.4913)

in Elementalist

Posted by: snizzle.6143

snizzle.6143

I havent read the whole so maybe someone postet it before.

If you want to insta kill someone you better start in earth:

Earthquate Teleport Combo
airattunement + air2 + arcanes
cleansingfire
firegrab + phoenix.

Imagine 20% damage boost for knockdowned enemys
10% for 90%+ hp
10% for beeing in air
5% on weaoon

Triggering an lightningstrike or flame aoe

and so on....

you can also use arcane mastery to deliver an immobilise or burning.. on arcane skills

Or better use the air attunement at the end of the combo to land firegrab and phoenix with the 10% dps from beeing in air.

Hixi Pixi – The Elementalist -Asura – Riverside (ger) – (Zornig)

in Elementalist

LightningBlaze.4913

I havent read the whole so maybe someone postet it before.

If you want to insta kill someone you better start in earth:

Earthquate Teleport Combo
airattunement + air2 + arcanes
cleansingfire
firegrab + phoenix.

Imagine 20% damage boost for knockdowned enemys
10% for 90%+ hp
10% for beeing in air
5% on weaoon

Triggering an lightningstrike or flame aoe

and so on….

you can also use arcane mastery to deliver an immobilise or burning.. on arcane skills

Or better use the air attunement at the end of the combo to land firegrab and phoenix with the 10% dps from beeing in air.

That’s one rotation, s/d ele have a few various bursts rotations.

in Elementalist

Razor.6392

I tried S/D again. I just can’t get used to it.

Such a clunky, unresponsive and slow weapon set…

The sad part is that I knew how to do it, but just became too accustomed to dagger main hand.

Level 60 pvp

in Elementalist

LightningBlaze.4913

I tried S/D again. I just can’t get used to it.

Such a clunky, unresponsive and slow weapon set…

The sad part is that I knew how to do it, but just became too accustomed to dagger main hand.

Yea it is not easy at first when you are so accustomed to dagger as main hand. It has its learning curve.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avatara.1042

Sceptre auto-attacks really needed smoother and faster animations.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

Have you guys noticed arcane shield now breaks stun? I usually use arcane blast when i’m running my burst build, because of the low cooldown and it hits pretty decently, but this makes arcane shield kind of tempting. Will give burst eles who use arcane lightning trait a bit more defense. But it has a much longer cooldown so we wont be able to take advantage of arcane lightning as often. Anyone have any opinions on this?