I want to.

I want to.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Apathetic.2904

Apathetic.2904

I’ve honestly played a caster/mage in EVERY MMO, always PvP. Ele, it honestly appealed to me soooo much. I’d have never second guessed rolling it until I read the forums while the game installed, I’ve only been playing like 2 days maybe? Rolling a Thief, just doing sPvP while my friends net is down. I have yet to see an Ele be a threat in sPvP, like at all.. there was one that did decent damage he gave me a few tips on playing Ele but it still wasn’t enough. Is this profession worth my time? It looks amazingly fun but I want to destroy people in PvP, not be a meatshield with aoes thats living on borrowed time basically. I want to 1vs1 and win, 1vs2 is pushing it I understand that (vs good people). I atleast want to be a factor other then a CC hoe/aoe hoe. I was told to run a staff and get my combos down and for gear, Power Vit Toughness. Not to use D/D as you just get exploded asap. I really want to.. I really do but dying asap with literally no chance of killing asap just doesn’t seem fun.

Most mages I’ve played, you kite, cc, but your damage makes up for the lack of defense so to speak.

I enjoy Thief simply because I can burst, even though I’m somewhat easy to kill. Hopping in and out of stealth, burst, combos. I love it.. but it’s not a mage.
So talk to me Eles, give me hope.

I want to.

in Elementalist

Posted by: P Fun Daddy.1208

P Fun Daddy.1208

I zerk staff. If you play your cards right, you can expect about as much life as celestial or even soldiers with other weapons, but don’t expect for this to happen often.
You pretty much annihilate everything that doesn’t focus you, but die almost instantly unless you play perfectly.
You have a huge repertoire of options available to you at any moment, which all have to be managed as a whole because of the necessity of using multiple skills in conjunction with each other, something any other profession has only in limited quantities (and then it’s mostly for using your own combo fields, which is not always the case for staff).
It’s a little like playing chess, in that you always have to be thinking a few moves ahead but also have to be able to completely change plans at a moment’s notice.

I want to.

in Elementalist

Apathetic.2904

Im not familiar with gear, I only have a level 5 Thief. I’ve just been doing sPvP as stated. I love thinking ahead and timing things to perfection, while being able to scrap the entire idea at a moments notice to adapt to a new situation. I know Ele will take a lot of practice due to having to switch between the elements, aslong as it’s worthwhile in PvP to master. I’d gladly do it, just like I said, haven’t encountered a single ele besides one that has done decent damage to me.

I want to.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

You play for 2 days and you already dismiss the ele because you didn’t encounter a powerful one in sPvP? I’m sorry, but I don’t get the issue…do you enjoy playing casters or do you enjoy playing powerful easymode characters? Because if you’re picking ele for power’s sake, you’ll be disappointed.

However, if you enjoy the profession, then you can learn to work with its complexity. With practice, you can become quite a force to be reckoned with. But for the easy way out…pick a warrior.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

I want to.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

It takes months or possibly even over a year to learn how to play with the ele really well. If you are not willing to spend that much time mastering a profession then definitely don’t try, you will only get very frustrated and not be able to cope with it.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

I want to.

in Elementalist

Apathetic.2904

Lol, if I wanted easy mode I’d play easy classes in every MMO. I want reward for my effort, if ele is worthwhile and can actually be a force to be reckoned with thats great. I tried Warrior, it was stupid easy and didnt entertain me. Every game I play nothing is easy mode, but reward for efforts is what I want. If I never see a strong ele, besides one. Obviously I’m going to question if it’s worthwhile, or simply am I just facing inexperienced Eles that are still learning? I thought I explained all this for you ThiBash. Im not asking for opinions on easy mode professions, I’m inquiring about Eles, this is Ele sub area is it not?

I want to.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lemoncurry.2345

Lemoncurry.2345

I want reward for my effort, if ele is worthwhile and can actually be a force to be reckoned with thats great. I tried Warrior, it was stupid easy and didnt entertain me. Every game I play nothing is easy mode, but reward for efforts is what I want. If I never see a strong ele, besides one.

Imho at the moment you are better of playing an engineer if you want ‘reward for effort’ (at least in SPvP). Yes, by trying hard you can be Ok with the Ele, but if you put the same effort into other classes, you will usually fare better.

I also doubt that the proposed balance changes to the Elementalist will drastically change this. The class sadly has some serious design flaws which seem to make it hard to balance for Anet.

Red Illie
Mondsucht [MS] – Kodash

(edited by Lemoncurry.2345)

I want to.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wintel.4873

Wintel.4873

Take it from someone who also loves playing Mage/Sorcerer/etc in every MMO – Elementalist is NOT like the typical MMO mage class. That’s what I was thinking when I walked into GW2 and picked Ele…boy was I wrong.

I would say Engineer is actually more suited towards people who enjoy playing spellcasters. Sure you’re firing bullets instead of spells, but somehow it makes more sense.

Elementalist is…well, it’s not in a good state at the moment. Depending on your playstyle it can be extremely frustrating to play an Ele.

To sum it up quickly:

> Lowest base health and armor out of all classes
> No built-in survivability mechanics comparable to Thieves or Mesmers (the other squishy classes)
> Highly telegraphed (or slow-casting) abilities with very long cooldowns
> Mediocre mobility, far less than what Warriors / Thieves / Mesmers have.
> Very steep learning curve. Attunement mechanic = tracking double-layered cooldowns, juggling 15+ abilities, etc.
> There is no reward for playing well, you will only “keep up” with average players of other classes/builds.
> No role in PvP that can’t be performed better by another class/build
> Locked into Water + Arcana + Cantrips to have any kind of survivaiblity, but then damage absolutely sucks. Build versatility is lacking.

That is a brief list of the issues Ele’s are facing in PvP right now.

(edited by Wintel.4873)

I want to.

in Elementalist

Apathetic.2904

I mostly do sPvp to learn classes and how I’d like them, that way I dont have to level them + get gear simply to say I dislike it at 80. Thanks Wintel, that honestly answered basically everything I was curious about. I watched a few videos before work today on a few Eles, I noticed a lot of your points. Engi is the only one I have yet to try in sPvP. Yeah my playstyle is a very aggressive playstyle, I like to plan ahead of course and not just rush in and smash my face into the keyboard. Thief so far is fitting my playstyle, nice burst, nice mobility, if I mess up I can quickly leave the situation and re-think it.

Thanks again, that basically summed it all up for me. I’ll try Engi next.

I want to.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

Then again if you are looking far at the future..which i guess you are since you said you want to actualy become good at the class ,balance is changing and you cant seriously except ele to be the underdog forever

I want to.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mbelch.9028

Mbelch.9028

I mostly do sPvp to learn classes and how I’d like them, that way I dont have to level them + get gear simply to say I dislike it at 80. Thanks Wintel, that honestly answered basically everything I was curious about. I watched a few videos before work today on a few Eles, I noticed a lot of your points. Engi is the only one I have yet to try in sPvP. Yeah my playstyle is a very aggressive playstyle, I like to plan ahead of course and not just rush in and smash my face into the keyboard. Thief so far is fitting my playstyle, nice burst, nice mobility, if I mess up I can quickly leave the situation and re-think it.

Thanks again, that basically summed it all up for me. I’ll try Engi next.

No, you got told what you wanted to hear. Wintel is the biggest downer of elementalists on this forum right now. He and I don’t agree I the place which elementalists are in right now.

He has zero confidence in them. They have been nerfed hard in spvp, but they’re the number two of roamers in WvW in my opinion, and a well played ele can be the crux of any roaming group.

(This disparity between WvW and PvP is because not only are you able to cover your stat deficits in WvW, but damage isn’t so badly nerfed there.)

A well played ele can defeat any class in 1v1 in WvW. I frequently do 1v2, 1v3, 1v4 and win. I die on average once per day in WvW, as I have great mobility and can escape.

There is one spec in spvp which a good ele can’t tackle right now, and that’s terrormancer necro.

So, it comes down to this — do you like the idea of the class that has the highest skill floor in the game, and the highest skill ceiling. People who don’t play well don’t like ele. People who play well do.

If you want to see good elementalists in action, try this. For staff, try Thibash. Scepter, try Heidia, D/D, you can call myself or Serane.

Three different play styles, one class.

-Nex, [FEAR] Elementalist
https://www.youtube.com/user/GW2FearGaming

I want to.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Graendall.4765

Graendall.4765

In sPvP..Classic D/D build is very good for tournaments,you can keep points like a boss and with a little help from your fire elemental elite you can penetrate ANY bunker class.Elementalist builds his damage,you start out slow and then when those might stacks pile up you release the burst and they don’t know where it came from.In a month Dagger main hand is getting a nice boost so try it out.But yes as someone else said,i am playing D/D ele for more than a year now and i am still learning and adapting.I used to be a Gua but i went ele and never looked back.I play most of the classes but the elementalist has the most rewarding gameplay.I love the class.

Zancrow The Red-Elementalist of [ObV]Oblivion-Hardcore WvW guild
http://oblivion-guild.shivtr.com/
Server-Piken Square

I want to.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Elementalists probably have the highest burst/DPS potential out of all classes, but at the same time are the squishiest.

If you want to play a glasscannon (I guarantee you’ll be dealing more DPS than a thief), you should either use Staff or Scepter (in PvP).
Also, please don’t expect that you know everything about playing a class so soon. It takes time and practice to get better.

If you prefer something more survivable, I suggest D/D with 0/10/0/30/30.

I want to.

in Elementalist

Apathetic.2904

Appreciate other peoples insight, Im hella new, I know practically nothing thats why I’m asking. I’ve seen a few videos, only one person stood out and that was Bitcloud. Most videos I’ve seen, are simply people rushing in aoeing and kiting and waiting for their teammates to do the rest in WvW. Havent seen a true 1vsx roam, I’ll look further later on.

I want to.

in Elementalist

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Appreciate other peoples insight, Im hella new, I know practically nothing thats why I’m asking. I’ve seen a few videos, only one person stood out and that was Bitcloud. Most videos I’ve seen, are simply people rushing in aoeing and kiting and waiting for their teammates to do the rest in WvW. Havent seen a true 1vsx roam, I’ll look further later on.

It just takes time that you would be willing to invest. Elementalist is like that class that your always learning a little something. I would think engineer is similar also but I don’t have one of those.

I have 6 of the 8 classes to 80 and Elementalist is my favorite class it was my first class but wasn’t my first 80. That was mesmer after playing all of them I get bored faster because they are easier to play more straight forward. I am not saying I mastered all my classes because I haven’t. You just get to a point where you see that the other don’t feel as deep.

A Elementalist might have to press 8 buttons to put out the damage that a thief can put out in 2 but if simplicity was all I cared about I would main my thief or warrior. Warrior holds my attention second to my Ele because of it’s available weapon choices which are greater then any other class. Thief is fun it’s trolly it serves it’s purpose I get bored with it because I find it easy but I still play it occasionally.

Maybe there is just a fake barrier to elementalist where Anet programmed it be harder warrior for the same result and I like it. The end result is usually to kill the other player how you want to get there depends on you.

Mesmer is probably the class I am best with next to my Elementalist but it’s my 4th favorite of my 6. It’s keep away AI driven unless you play shatter if I where to give you the dumb down version Mesmer plays like:

Summon AI to do your damage
Evade
Stealth
Stealth
blurred frenzy
Summon AI
Evade
stealth
stealth
blurred frenzy.

Unless you play shatter that is pretty much how every mesmer fight looks like if we break it down. You can throw in a random daze mantra if you like but thats about it and of course Greatsword auto attack keep away.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

I want to.

in Elementalist

Apathetic.2904

Yeah I see what you’re saying, thats why it initially pulled my attention, flipping through fire water etc and using a variety of abilities. Though, does it fit my playstyle is my concern. I may just grab one and play around till my friend gets his new net, no harm in fooling around in sPvP. I looked up a few more videos before I head to work.

Seen this staff one, seemed ok, nice damage and able to survive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXcRknfEzfY

Im a noob and clearly never played Ele besides for like 5mins, so maybe someone will know more about that video and what was going on.

Looked up a scepter I believe, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5d81c_9S9E

seemed pretty nice actually. Pulled my attention more, of course what I do with an ele and what an experienced player does are two different things but working towards that point and it being rewarding is awesome.

I want to.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

No, you got told what you wanted to hear. Wintel is the biggest downer of elementalists on this forum right now. He and I don’t agree I the place which elementalists are in right now.

He has zero confidence in them. They have been nerfed hard in spvp, but they’re the number two of roamers in WvW in my opinion, and a well played ele can be the crux of any roaming group.

(This disparity between WvW and PvP is because not only are you able to cover your stat deficits in WvW, but damage isn’t so badly nerfed there.)

A well played ele can defeat any class in 1v1 in WvW. I frequently do 1v2, 1v3, 1v4 and win. I die on average once per day in WvW, as I have great mobility and can escape.

There is one spec in spvp which a good ele can’t tackle right now, and that’s terrormancer necro.

So, it comes down to this — do you like the idea of the class that has the highest skill floor in the game, and the highest skill ceiling. People who don’t play well don’t like ele. People who play well do.

If you want to see good elementalists in action, try this. For staff, try Thibash. Scepter, try Heidia, D/D, you can call myself or Serane.

I have seen more D/D and S/D Eles in WvW lately. Some of them are tanky as hell. A friend and I(Guardian and Warrior) chase one from Bay all the way to the south east camp before we managed to lock him down and kill him. We were in combat the entire way, it was the longest funnest fight I have ever had. I only alt a staff Ele but I love what I can do with her. It is by far the class with the most potential, but you almost have to be a god to unlock it.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

I want to.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mbelch.9028

Mbelch.9028

I have seen more D/D and S/D Eles in WvW lately. Some of them are tanky as hell. A friend and I(Guardian and Warrior) chase one from Bay all the way to the south east camp before we managed to lock him down and kill him. We were in combat the entire way, it was the longest funnest fight I have ever had. I only alt a staff Ele but I love what I can do with her. It is by far the class with the most potential, but you almost have to be a god to unlock it.

And ding ding ding we have a winner. I am not going to go so far as call myself that, but I have unlocked the highest potential of ele and I have more fun on it than many people have on their classes.

Just today I was chased by a group of 5. I could not break combat, even with FGS thanks to a pesky warrior who has GS/S/Sh. They chased me halfway across the side of a map. I turned and fought all five for a few seconds, busted one to half health, and then kept running. I rallied to a point where I could get another two of my guild to my location and we turned on them and killed them.

That’s just something I don’t see done much on another class. People give up when warriors run away, and if there’s 5 people stun locking a warrior, they die quicker than an ele when played right.

-Nex, [FEAR] Elementalist
https://www.youtube.com/user/GW2FearGaming