Icifyr's S/D Tournament Build Guide

in Elementalist

Posted by: IceTenacious.4126

IceTenacious.4126

I am Icifyr, a rank 43 from Anvil Rock, most people know me for my elementalist but I play every class besides guardian because they’re fat and useless. THIS IS A TOURNAMENT BUILD NOT FOR SPVP (but it will work in SPVP) OR WVWVW

My YT: youtube.com/icifyr
I’m not going to upload vids of this build because I’m using a crappy laptop now but there are other videos on there that are good

Why post this now?
Because I think it’s time to move on from this game but I will still hop on the forums and in-game once in a while to post and tourney. If you have any questions please post and make sure you read the whole kittenen guide because there’s good kitten in here and minute details that I didn’t feel like bolding but are important.

PS: This build is not for the faint hearted scrubs who haven’t played other classes and don’t understand tells and have bad game sense in-general

Build:
http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simulator.php#1.1.2.0.13.0.34.0.25.0.3.10.20.21.24.8.2.25.0.0.0.18.0.0.0.0.0.50.52.0.65.61.72.0.15.0.25.30

Explanation of my build:

Why s/d?
d/d is bleh, d/f is bleh (but good 1v1 specs none the less)

Why might sigils on weapons?
Scratch that someone posted a vid of it showing the sigils not stacking maybe run the sigil which gives 3 stacks on attunement swap and force.

Why signet > glyph?
I only have 300 healing in this build but the sustain heal is amazing because in s/d there’s so many skills used that it pays off you can also use the signet if you’re in situations where you need an extra burst of healing. I think s/d weapon set heal is bleh they nerfed it into the ground (more about this later) but the signet heal is OP.

Why soliders/zerker > valk/zerker?
Valk is overated and I think in general on most including d/d builds soldiers is better. (post-healing nerf)

Why rune of the pack?
OP -> power/precision..

Explanation of utilities:[b] [b]READ THIS
I believe lightning flash and blinks in-general are OP also you must have atleast 1 stun break. It can be used in a lot of situations too like teleporting through walls (as shown on my YT), using at the end of churning earth to catch everyone off guard and engaging/disengaging. I use arcane wave and blast mainly because of my Elemental Surge trait which gives me that immobolize/burning/chill/blind. It brings a lot of utility to my build because I can use it to get my fire 2, 3 burst off and even stop stomps against ranger/guardian/engi with the blind (there’s also air 3 for the blind). More about this later.

Traits:
15 in air because I love the extra burst from 15 and I hate getting 30 water. Glyph recharges faster for my elite but I switch it if I’m going for far node and using tornado.

25 in water because vitality OP. Cleansing wave for remove condi is always nice. The minor trait 15 water is also nice. Dodge roll trait is situation but I like to run it because it prevents a reasonable amount of damage against other elementalist and rangers. 25 minor trait is pretty good because you have a lot of boons on you most of the time so it’s very useful.

30 in arcana because you need to be attunement switching quite often. MOST IMPORTANT TRAIT IN THIS BUILD: Minor trait 5 arcana, grant yourself 2 seconds of fury when you switch attunements, this is what makes this build very good and I will explain how to utilise this later in this guide. Elemental attunement is nice for the protection when you go into earth but you could also run renewing stamina because in this build you will basically have perma vigor with that trait. Elemental surge is also nice as I explained before in my utilities it works very well.

So, how do you play this build in tournies?

I play as a roamer.
Random statement:
I hate how I join pugs and there’s people that want to play roamer but they’re really bad. If you’re like this please play side points or bunker and gradually 1v1, learn other classes skills then change classes or begin to play roamer.

(edited by IceTenacious.4126)

in Elementalist

IceTenacious.4126

Target everything: even in 1v1s
CTRL + T OP
Use it

GW2 TPvP is a numbers game.
3 far 2 close — my thought process:
Do they have a mes?
—Did he use his portal before?
Are we winning or losing our fight?
—Winning ok time to leave.
—Losing I’ll stay until we begin to win and can get a few stomps then leave or if it’s a lost cause I will leave and decap mid

I even engage 2v1 because I know I can disrupt them and get out whenever I feel like it (Always have air 4 on c/d and don’t use cantrip for churning earth etc as you will need it to disengage or stun break)

If I have to 1v1 I play to win my combos are like this:

Air 2 see if they will do something stupid and get ready to blind if nothing air 5
Fire 2, 3
Earth (use arcana for immobolise) 4 5 use cantrip tele if needed.

That’s an ideal situation and can change with different classes, skill level of opponent, psychological advantage etc. note: I don’t try to might stack in 1v1s.
Also attunement switch when you use big skills to get the 2 seconds of fury which applies to skills that are currently casted

In team fights I play like this:
SPAM
optimum combo:
fire 4 2 3
switch earth 4 5 teleport
air 2 4 5
fire 4 2 AA or check for burning 5

Again utilize the attunement switch fury it’s OP

Edit:
Learn your skills and when you play play to improve if you make a mistake fine but learn from it like when I play I say this: Oh he owned me what do I do next time? OK I can stun break him or use a knock down dodge roll when I think he might engage or even blind. Then when you get into those situations you’re prepared for the next time it happens

best advice I can give you ^ and it will help you in-general

I think I covered everything.. If you have any questions please post here! This was a quick write up and I tried to spend as little time as possible (Took me 35 minutes to write till here) and I tried to be as in-depth. Forgive my typos! I might add little things as I think about it.

PS: go to my youtube to learn how to use lightning flash properly, I can’t hotlink the vid.

youtube.com/icifyr

[Edited by moderator: Formatting (overuse of capslock)]

(edited by Moderator)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Intigo.1653

Intigo.1653

That’s a terrible Sigil combo. The Strength Sigil does not proc while Sigil of Battle is on cooldown which is very often. It’s also only 10s Might duration. You’re much better off using Bloodlust & swapping for Force.

When Strength is on cooldown it also blocks Battle from granting Might stacks for a brief 1-2s.

80 Asura Elementalist – [Red Guard]
http://www.youtube.com/user/IntigoGW2

in Elementalist

IceTenacious.4126

That’s a terrible Sigil combo. The Strength Sigil does not proc while Sigil of Battle is on cooldown which is very often. It’s also only 10s Might duration. You’re much better off using Bloodlust & swapping for Force.

When Strength is on cooldown it also blocks Battle from granting Might stacks for a brief 1-2s.

Err nope, they both have a seperate cooldown. Also, the might duration isn’t a problem since you have a constant 20 stack in team fights. I don’t like the proc rate on bloodlust and the damage from the force sigil doesn’t scale with additional damage from might.

[Edited by moderator]

(edited by Moderator)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Strodor.6051

Strodor.6051

Why are you wasting a trait on Quick glyphs when you’re not even using it sometimes and only have one glyph on your bar? Wouldn’t Zephyrs focus be a better choice for the extra dodges with S/D?

Smaggle – Asura elementalist [INT]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Highlet.8039

Highlet.8039

OP needs to say OP more in OP.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Strodor.6051

Strodor.6051

OP needs to say OP more in OP.

That actually annoyed me to no end, quoting it seemed like effort though, however.

Smaggle – Asura elementalist [INT]

in Elementalist

Intigo.1653

Err nope, they both have a seperate cooldown. Also, the might duration isn’t a problem since you have a constant 20 stack in team fights. I don’t like the proc rate on bloodlust and the damage from the force sigil doesn’t scale with additional damage from might.

[Edited by moderator]

I wonder what part of this was edited by a Moderator, heh.

And no, I am right. Do you want me to go ingame just to prove how wrong you are?

Actually, I’ll go record it, just for a laugh.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Highlet.8039

Highlet.8039

And no, I am right. Do you want me to go ingame just to prove how wrong you are?

Yep, you’re correct. Chance on crit shares cd with on swap.

in Elementalist

Intigo.1653

Yeah, I already made a video for it once before. My example was Air + Battle, but the principle is the same for Strength + Battle, Strength just has a much lower cooldown.

Old video:

Here’s me proving it’s a bad combination with Strength + Battle:

in Elementalist

Posted by: Panginoon.6239

Panginoon.6239

Come on guys, he’s being sarcastic and is trolling. Nobody thinks this is an OP build.

in Elementalist

IceTenacious.4126

Why are you wasting a trait on Quick glyphs when you’re not even using it sometimes and only have one glyph on your bar? Wouldn’t Zephyrs focus be a better choice for the extra dodges with S/D?

Hmm, I thought it wouldn’t be noticeable since there aren’t long duration channel skills besides air AA and earth 5. Even though there’s only one skill for quick glyphs the elite is very strong and I like to use it in every team fight.

Edit: I just tried it and it procs quite often so it might be worth it you could go 20/20 and use it as a second air trait

(edited by IceTenacious.4126)

in Elementalist

IceTenacious.4126

Come on guys, he’s being sarcastic and is trolling. Nobody thinks this is an OP build.

I was kind of but it’s very strong and I would even match it with a d/d ele but it truly depends on the comp because the might stacking can bring a lot of damage potential in team fights.

in Elementalist

IceTenacious.4126

Yeah, I already made a video for it once before. My example was Air + Battle, but the principle is the same for Strength + Battle, Strength just has a much lower cooldown.

Old video:

I guess I’m wrong so the better option would be the sigil which gives 3 stack per weapon switch + force? but I don’t like how the additional attack damage doesn’t stack with the 5% damage. Oh well, thanks for proving your claim

in Elementalist

IceTenacious.4126

Old video:

I guess I’m wrong so the better option would be the sigil which gives 3 stack per weapon switch + force? but I don’t like how the additional attack damage doesn’t stack with the 5% damage. Oh well, thanks for proving your claim