Is Celest still advisable this day for PvE?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ookamikun.6472

Ookamikun.6472

So one of my earliest characters, a five year old Elementalist (now Tempest), runs an all Celestial ascended gear and amulet, though with mixed trinkets and accessories (zerk/rampager mix), and my backpack is zerk. He manages fine and even completed the maps and stories of both Central and HoT. With that said I feel like maybe I’m not using a right build for PvE, or at least that feeling of being outdated.

Before I had a Fire/Earth/Arcane thing going on before switching to Fire/Wind/Arcane, and right now it’s Fire/Wind/Tempest. Hell I just realized Fresh Air exists out of all this time!

Though I must say my runes are most likely outdated. I’ve been wearing Traveler’s runes for quite a long time, I take it that it’s not the go-to PvE runeset nowadays?

in Elementalist

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

i’ve just recently got a full celestial set and it has a nice balance to it, I like the set. Viper is nice if you want to get heavy condition. Outside raiding and spvp any build goes as there was a fair bit of power creep in HOT such that everything is pretty trivial to beat so you have the luxury of using the set you enjoy most.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

in Elementalist

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

Celestial is pretty good. does respectable damage and has a lot of defense. I wouldn’t say it’s outdated at all. But you could get something else if there are parts of it that you don’t want.

in Elementalist

Ookamikun.6472

Should I swap my Traveler’s Runes tho?

in Elementalist

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I run celestial on my elementalist. It isn’t useful for raiding, but I prefer it for solo play because it’s almost impossible to die even using a close-range set like dagger/dagger.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

Most likely. You can get a 25% movement speed boost in Air attunement, and that’s the major feature of the Traveller runes. Seeing that you’re not really a “meta player”, I’d recommend using Strength runes. If you find these too expensive, Flame Legion runes are a decent pick (especially since Celestial gives you some condi damage). Another option are Rage runes.

in Elementalist

Ookamikun.6472

Oh I’ve been saving them up, already have 5 from map bonuses equipped on those exotic gear lol. I actually have been saving them because people might say zerk would have been better, but I guess celes is good enough for non-raid PvE so I should use them eh?

in Elementalist

Feanor.2358

You can use it outside of raids, sure. But don’t throw zerk gear away. It’s preferred for a reason.

in Elementalist

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Most likely. You can get a 25% movement speed boost in Air attunement, and that’s the major feature of the Traveller runes. Seeing that you’re not really a “meta player”, I’d recommend using Strength runes. If you find these too expensive, Flame Legion runes are a decent pick (especially since Celestial gives you some condi damage). Another option are Rage runes.

I agree with strength runes, especially if you’re using a weapon set with access to several blasts – basically, anything other than staff. Again, this is assuming you’re using celestial outside of organized group content. In this scenario, the ability to stack up to 25 might and maintain it is quite useful for mitigating some of the damage loss from using a more defensive stat set like celestial.

in Elementalist

Ookamikun.6472

I don’t have zerk gear yet, what I am planning was tossing the celestial gear into the toilet to turn them into zerk. Though in hindsight I guess zerk gear is easier to come by?

in Elementalist

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

Absolutely. Any build taking one of air, arcane, or tempest trait lines can have permanent swiftness. Staff or warhorn make it easier.

As for what you swap to, it depends on what you like most. Celestial has lots of defense already, so I’d go for more damage.
Flame Legion is probably best for general damage. Pack, Strength, and Balthazar are also good options.

in Elementalist

Ookamikun.6472

oh right, that air trait has a minor that has a permanent 25% movement speed

I guess I should ditch Celestial once I move to D/W

in Elementalist

Feanor.2358

Weapons aren’t really relevant. Celestial is used for a more relaxed gameplay, just goofing around and killing stuff without paying too much attention. Ditch it when you feel you can avoid getting hit most of the time and you want to kill stuff faster. D/W, S/W, even Staff despite the nerf are all pretty solid choices for PvE.