Is Cleric Elementalist a thing?

in Elementalist

Posted by: MattytheBeaver.6078

MattytheBeaver.6078

Played GW2 a while back in 2012/13 as a cleric ele with a staff and it seemed to work alright in my group. Thinking of starting to play GW2 again casually and wondering if cleric ele is still a viable way to roll for pve, or do I have to respec?

in Elementalist

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

If it’s for dungeons, then it’s pretty bad ( yeah ok you get a kitten if you write bad followed by as ) as support comes from other things than healing ( offensive support via might, fury and vuln stacking and defensive support via projectile reflection, for instance). For solo pve, you can go whatever, but you’d still have better results with another gear set.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

It’s quite horrible for PvE.

You won’t wanna use anything that isn’t power-based in PvE. That’s the most important attribute. The least important attributes for an elementalist in PvE would be healing power and condition damage.

Toughness and vitality are useful against world bosses since you can’t crit those (the ones that count as structures, i.e. golem mark II and tequatl etc), but the thing is having gearsets just for world bosses… is quite wasteful since it’s always just zerging anyways.

For things like dungeons and fractals you never wanna take something besides berserker on an ele. Everything else is extremely wasteful by comparison.

in Elementalist

MattytheBeaver.6078

If it’s for dungeons, then it’s pretty bad ( yeah ok you get a kitten if you write bad followed by as ) as support comes from other things than healing ( offensive support via might, fury and vuln stacking and defensive support via projectile reflection, for instance). For solo pve, you can go whatever, but you’d still have better results with another gear set.

Cheers for the reply, whats a good ele build for dungeons then? That’s probably what I’m most interested in atm.

in Elementalist

oxtred.7658

There’s a lot of small variations, but the core go-to build is 6/6/2/0/0 or 6/6/0/0/2, berserker armour, trinkets and weapons. For staff, take Internal fire, Pyromancer’s alacricity, Persisting flames, Bolt to the heart, Arcane lightning and Tempest defense, and then Blasting staff in the arcana line. If scepter/ focus, take Burning precision and Conjurer, and swap the last air trait for Air training. Then take Stone splinters in earth. The staff build is higher dps and easier rotations, the scepter build is more might for your party and more utilities.

That’s a quick overview, but if you have any questions I’ll answer them.

in Elementalist

MattytheBeaver.6078

Thanks for the help, I’ll go with that staff core build to start off and help get myself back in the game

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zaphir.7210

Zaphir.7210

As another staff elementalist who came back after a looong hiatus (used to roll pvt 6/6 monk in wvw and event zergs in 2012/2013), I can confirm that it’s berserker or bust. Even when soloing or doing the living story chapters, my success rate and killing speed with my pvt monk’s set was terrible compared to a zerk set I tossed together in 30 mins or so (thanks Purple Miku for the tips, btw!). I use 6/6 Flame Legion runes for now, they’re cheap and seem to be not that much worse than scholar’s.

Survivability isn’t really any worse either. Low toughness means you get less aggro (I think?) and geyser + healing rain blast combos can get me from 0 to full in a few seconds with zero +healing. Sure, I have less hp, but in my experience if something is hitting me in pve, I’m either dodging it, kiting it, using some sort of block/invuln skill, or dying. Not to mention, the faster the enemies die, the less chances they get to land hits…

(edited by Zaphir.7210)

in Elementalist

Purple Miku.7032

Awesome to hear that things are working out well for you Zaphir

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

As others have said, you don’t NEED it in the slightest. That said, it IS rather fun to play a “Healer” Ele in guild dungeon runs where you can drop Water fields and blast them and see everybody’s health go from almost empty to like 75% in under a second. XD

So, go ahead and make a set if you like for those fun runs. (I have one! Clerics plus Sup Runes of the Monk + Aquatic Benevolence.) But yeah, I wouldn’t recommend going pure healer for your typical PUG groups.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Tom.8029

Tom.8029

I, personally, love Cleric’s gear. I use it in every game type along with my Soldier’s and Berserker’s gear.

Cleric’s does lack a little on the damage side, however. So if you’re going to use it, you need to be decent at might stacking and you can also supplement your trinkets, amulet, and accessories with Berserker’s attributes to give you that extra push in damage.

It works extremely well when I’m roaming around in WvW.

Primordial Dragons [Drgn]
Fort Aspenwood Elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Low toughness means you get less aggro (I think?)

That is usually not true. Aggro in gw2 works differently, mostly it’s the closest dealing damage targed, toughness plays either no role or has a smaller importance.

in Elementalist

Posted by: lujate.5432

lujate.5432

Aggro in gw2 works differently,

You can say that again. I can’t count the number of times I’ve attacked a mob and it ran from me and attacked someone else.

“Queen of Cheese Builds”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Celestial everything is the easiest way to not go wrong. However half celestial and half knights/cav makes it more exciting.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in Elementalist

oxtred.7658

Celestial everything is the easiest way to not go wrong. However half celestial and half knights/cav makes it more exciting.

Celestial is a pvp gear. It’s bad in both WwW and pve.

in Elementalist

Purple Miku.7032

How does reducing your output make it more exciting?

oxtred’s post above me is the truth – celestial is terrible for PvE, but good in PvP and WvW.

in Elementalist

oxtred.7658

How does reducing your output make it more exciting?

oxtred’s post above me is the truth – celestial is terrible for PvE, but good in PvP and WvW.

It’s actually pretty crap in WwW as well since the power cap is much, much higher and pure power/ condi specs are far more viable than jack of all trades master of none kind of things. Having a bit of celestial can be beneficial, but full cele specs are less useful than their raw power counterparts.

in Elementalist

Posted by: adozu.6398

adozu.6398

Best option to PvE with is zerker sure, but you need quite some practice and/or a good group to surive with a zerker ele.

If you’re having troubles try getting some valkyrie armor, it’s sub-optimal yes, but it’s better than being dead and it’s close to zerker power levels (just the armor, not the whole gear)