Is tempest only viable as support?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

is there a way to actually use it offensively in a D/D build or anything, the WH seems too slow to Really see any effect.. and its proven to not be a great stand alone build, i solo queue in SPVP alot, therefore holding Such a teamplay requiring build isnt the Best for the situation.

this would mean i prolly would maybe want a few Cantrips and Not running Full shout as i’ll Want to build something with 1v1 potiental and Something more capable of supporting itself.

Would this rule tempest out completely? i see alot of players saying without Support Auramancer its not worth using, is this true or is there a way to make some sorta DPSy bruiser type build for it?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I found it works best as support. You can try and get some damage builds going with it, but I think celestial tempest will always rule other amulets. I think the damage of a support tempest can be quite high, or you can spec more support even still.

I did find that maurauder tempest was only good in low mmr games. I could be wrong though. Otherwise, if you want a damage build, I’m actually playing a zerker staff build for giggles. That is damage, but a slight breeze can kill you. And you don’t have the same problem of tempest that your highest damage is melee range.

I have a suggestion for overloads, but it generally goes like this:
-Grant each overload 2 stacks of stability instead of one.
-Make stability baseline
-Make overload fire remove chill and bleeding.
-Make overload water remove burning and immobilize.
-Make overload air remove torment and chill.
-Make overload earth remove poison and bleeding.
-This removal occurs at each tick, so you are semi immune to these conditions when overloading each respective attunement.

This gives the tempest some added defense, which would help damage tempest (however, celestial will still probably triumph, since its so awesome)

I enjoy using celestial and playing all roles in my build. I’’m really not sure how else they can make damage tempest viable.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Griever.7480

Griever.7480

It’s not even viable as a support.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Its a good dps class just not spike dmg like ele is. Air overloade is one of the strongest dps ele has as a class type when combined with fresh air.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Posted by: Asherah.7651

Asherah.7651

Its a good dps class just not spike dmg like ele is. Air overloade is one of the strongest dps ele has as a class type when combined with fresh air.

This! For sure…I’m running fresh air air/earth/tempest with D/F….air overload gives great aoe DPS, you just can’t burst people down. But you are way tankier than a normal ele, so it works pretty well! You still get some decent team support as well

in Elementalist

Posted by: grahf.7540

grahf.7540

IMO cele bruiser (which is a ‘hybrid’ build) is the best approach to Tempest. D/F. I find it good at 1v1s and in teamfights. In 1v1 it is a stalemate against ‘bunker’ classes, which is usually ok. But against any squishy class, DH, Thief, Ranger, you totally destroy 1v1. You have huge self-sustain. If you run Diamond skin, you will obliterate Reapers/Necros 1v1 too. I’ve had so much salt from Reapers lately… ("Anti-condi ele, soooo cheap… etc)

Maurader fresh air is playable but I don’t think it’s near optimal.

Loboling, I like your condi removal ideas for Overloads. I really doubt they will ever make 2 stacks of stability baseline though. Maybe 1 stack baseline, and trait for 2-3?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

IMO cele bruiser (which is a ‘hybrid’ build) is the best approach to Tempest. D/F. I find it good at 1v1s and in teamfights. In 1v1 it is a stalemate against ‘bunker’ classes, which is usually ok. But against any squishy class, DH, Thief, Ranger, you totally destroy 1v1. You have huge self-sustain. If you run Diamond skin, you will obliterate Reapers/Necros 1v1 too. I’ve had so much salt from Reapers lately… ("Anti-condi ele, soooo cheap… etc)

Loboling, I like your condi removal ideas for Overloads. I really doubt they will ever make 2 stacks of stability baseline though. Maybe 1 stack baseline, and trait for 2-3?

what build to use to make it hybrid may i ask? :O hehe

in Elementalist

Posted by: grahf.7540

grahf.7540

I will post my full build soon, I haven’t perfected it. In the meantime a good starting point is the metabattle D/F build.
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Tempest_-_Celestial_Auramancer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Asherah.7651

Asherah.7651

what build to use to make it hybrid may i ask? :O hehe

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJAodn0XCNYiVYCGOAcYilHAz9xeZ/sDngMQHUIAcA2gA-TJBBAByXGAgTAQV7PAxDAAA
I use a build pretty much just like this as well, I haven’t perfected it either. But i’ll share it with you for a good starting point!
I’m running marauder right now, but celestial is amazing…I just like the massive crit with marauders and sigil of air!