Is this the class to play to be a Wizard?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Perram.6871

Perram.6871

I really enjoy playing Wizards / Mages in games. The magic nuking from ranged, being squishy but hard to pin down. Tricky little guy.

I’m trying to find my spot in the game… is this it?

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

I really enjoy playing Wizards / Mages in games. The magic nuking from ranged, being squishy but hard to pin down. Tricky little guy.

I’m trying to find my spot in the game… is this it?

GW2 is a very different kind of game, and its kind of hard to fill that EXACT archetype. If you want to have good area-nuking capability, you can play staff ele, who also has some jukes and good supportive capability. If you want to be able to blow-up a single target in a couple seconds, scepter/x ele can do that. If you want to be a melee battle-mage, that would be dagger/dagger ele. All of these are done with elemental forces (so yes, you get to throw fireballs and lightning whips).

If you want to have really strong single-target damage, use a lot of misdirection, and kite like a king, you want a mesmer. As a mesmer, the moves are all done with clones that look similar to you, and has some butterfly theme associated with it too.

If you want heavy area damage, you can also achieve this with necromancer builds (power-based well-necro), and also has some jukes but is generally slower than ele. Necros have a kind of “dark arts” type theme.

Don’t be afraid to try out every class!

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Mesmer is more like a dnd wizard, though staff ele is like a wizard if you learnt wizarding from Magicka.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Elementalist

Posted by: cursE.1794

cursE.1794

The magic nuking from ranged, being squishy but hard to pin down. Tricky little guy.

That’s actually quite accurate. Welcome to the elementalist forum, you’ve come to the right place.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

I think the Mesmer, Necromancer, and Elementalist all embody the spellcaster archetype in their own unique way. Try them all.

in Elementalist

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

i wouldn’t compare the gw2 elementalist to a DnD Mage tho. DPS is way too low, plus there’s no friendly fire and the AE cap pretty much ruins the comparison.

as for hard to catch,... staff ele has burning retreat, earth armor or maybe mist form and the obligatory blink. not much of an escaper, if you don’t count FGS movement skills.

sneaky? pleeeease, sneaky is for teefs and memsmurz.

AyaĆ­lla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

A D&D Wizard is far beyond the scope of GW2, capable of creating or destroying an entire town at max level. A D&D Wizard could simply become permanently invisible, summon a horde of minions, fly away, and charm the local military into dedicating themselves to killing you. No way you can compare any class in GW2 to the D&D Wizard at its full power. And if for some reason he had to fight you himself, he could put you to sleep for a minute, kill you in one hit with an illusion, or point his finger and kill you instantly.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

That’s because a DnD Arcane caster (Wizard, Sorc, and/or Warlock) is, by Tyrian standards, a veritable God. They’ve all got too many tricks up their sleeves to compare to any (at least PC) GW caster. Worst part, is that (arguably) Psionicists are even more broken.

Although, for “nuke” caster, I’d have to vote staff Ele in a heartbeat. Mesmer’s closer to Illusionist or Psionicist, with a side order of time-manipulation.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Elementalist

Posted by: Matisse.9356

Matisse.9356

Go guardian.
Boom.
Full metal wizard.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Creld.8702

Creld.8702

If you’re looking for that archetype, yeah, elementalist is going to suite you fairly well. Mesmer and necro fit the illusionist and, well, necromantic themes if that is your preference, but for the “classic” Fire and Lightning glass cannon nuclear device, elementalist. It does require a bit of learning, mostly getting a feel for cooldowns you can’t see and such.

As for full metal wizard, staff/sword+torch guardian would make a lovely battle mage.

Asura Engineer- Aelara Fole