Jack of all Trades; Master of None

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kilandros.2098

Kilandros.2098

I present to you the Warrior: Jack of all Trades; Master of them All.

Unfortunately I think the problem plaguing Elementalist (and Ranger, but wrong forum) is a conceptual one—the Devs can’t figure out where they want the class to be. On the one hand, they want Elementalists to swap Attunements frequently, so they gave us long cooldowns and mediocre skills within Attunements to promote that style of gameplay. This has led to the mandatory 30 in Arcana which has been discussed ad nauseam. But on the other hand, they lament the lack of diversity within the class stemming from 30 Arcana, so they nerf cantrips and move stun breaks to silly skills to try to promote diversity.

What I don’t understand is why can’t they apply the same techniques they used tuning the Warrior to the Elementalist? Want to give Warrior some support options? Buff Warrior support and leave the rest alone! Want to give Elementalist more build variety? Nerf the current meta and don’t improve anything else!

I really dislike ranting like this, and I certainly don’t want to be interpreted as looking for Warrior nerfs because I love my Warrior, but I also want to love some of the other classes.

in Elementalist

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

I agree that with warrior they basically buffed areas of warrior and left the rest alone. Which I feel did open up some build diversity.

Ele was more like it was already in a good place considered Top tier(because players didn’t know how to fight it as well back then) so if they buffed other things instead of nerfing things it would be the same as people see it with warrior or any time necro’s get a buff.

I was in my teamspeak with guild members who many are of the crowd that overreact until they actually test try the changes. They said what! Necro’s I should roll a necro cause they getting more buffs and sustain. “That’s stupid” I have a necro and when I first saw it and read the math that was done on it in the necro forums you realize it does nothing really for the necro himself just party members.

The one with air change as long as people don’t really use it I can see them bumping it up maybe to 2 seconds (make it 3-4 secs). See zerker stance at first nobody used it then they increased it still nobody used it so they bumped it up a bit more.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

I agree. I’ve been thinking about leveling a warrior myself. Most serious PvE’ers seem to have one on stand by atleast. Most of what other classes can do, a warrior can do aswell and usually better.

They are also extremely easy to level. They do massive AoE damage and are the fastest class to run around with. I can barely keep up with a warrior with my mobility specced thief.

The bring way more utility and sustainability to a group than most classes aswell.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fiorrello.8126

Fiorrello.8126

i think the big problem with elementalist is that most of your skills don’t really feel like they make an impact.

its like you run around and throw everything and the kitchen sink and hope something sticks.

the direct damage skills need a buff, quiet a few skills desperately need a cooldown reduction. and the focus needs some serious love.

also a lot of the elementalist traits are extremely boring.

in Elementalist

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

Ele’s are in a great place right now and have a wide range of viable specs depending on your interests and play style (i.e. conjure weapons pve build, pvp fresh air high dps S/D build, traditional d/d cantrip *can be built tank/support/ or dps, and zerg/large group focused staff support or dps builds).

My only recommendation is try saving some of your more important abilities for the right situation as opposed to just going through your rotation and spamming them out. Knowing your cooldowns and what is up, as opposed to just swapping to an attunement and hoping the ability is up, also helps a lot per scenario. I can tell you that ele’s on a high level are anything short of swap and spam (for example on a d/d build, earth stun/aura’s, churning, RTL, knockback, etc all should not just be spammed and should be used at key moments to either bait out the use of stability/defensive uses and/or when you know their CD’s are down).

in Elementalist

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

I agree. I’ve been thinking about leveling a warrior myself. Most serious PvE’ers seem to have one on stand by atleast. Most of what other classes can do, a warrior can do aswell and usually better.

They are also extremely easy to level. They do massive AoE damage and are the fastest class to run around with. I can barely keep up with a warrior with my mobility specced thief.

The bring way more utility and sustainability to a group than most classes aswell.

I don’t even use my warrior. She’s been sitting at the end of the JP in Caledon for the last month or so. I use my necro more than my warrior even.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Stalefish.7615

Stalefish.7615

Elementalist: Jack of no trait, master of nothing

in Elementalist

Posted by: Andross.5183

Andross.5183

Ele should be the top damage dealer, considering all the hoops you have to jump through to do any damage. But even in that area eles suck. Warriors do a lot more damage with their much shorter cooldown AOE skills. I don’t know if there are other classes, which do less damage than eles, but I can’t imagine there being one.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

Elementalist: Jack of no trait, master of nothing

Nah, ele is the Jack of all Trades. The problem is that they can only fill one trade at a time, where “Jack of all Trades” are supposed to be able to do everything at once, but noticeably weaker than the other classes.

Ele can be the 3rd-4th best bunker against power damage, but it dies to conditions, can’t kill anyone or run away from most classes.
Ele can be the 3rd-4th best bunker against condi damage, but it folds against power, can’t kill anyone or run away from most classes.

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

in Elementalist

Posted by: zitounae.4803

zitounae.4803

the problem is if you get in the best position possible to kill anyone, You are set to die to condi or dmg once the 2 survivability skills you manage to keep. If you good at dodging maybe you ll be able to run away.

And that dmg you could be able to deal using about half your skills, will be hardly equal to the dmg other will deal with a bunker or semi bunker build with eyes closed.

I ran into a VERY strong staff Elem earlier on live and was excited to see it -time4nerf-

in Elementalist

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Ele should be the top damage dealer, considering all the hoops you have to jump through to do any damage. But even in that area eles suck. Warriors do a lot more damage with their much shorter cooldown AOE skills. I don’t know if there are other classes, which do less damage than eles, but I can’t imagine there being one.

Which warrior AOE skill has better cooldown and better damage than Lava Font?

in Elementalist

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Which warrior AOE skill has better cooldown and better damage than Lava Font?

Lava Font is really strong against immobile mobs.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fasyx.9347

Fasyx.9347

I don’t even use my warrior. She’s been sitting at the end of the JP in Caledon for the last month or so. I use my necro more than my warrior even.

Same for me. I have 2 warriors on 80(one on full zerk) and I don´t use them that often.

What I´ve learned in the last weeks – DON´T COMPARE ANYTHING to a warrior in this game. Warriors are massively overpowered in this game. Awesome DPS, 20.000 HP on full zerk + heavy armor, probably the best mobility in this game(btw. mobility got buffed with the last patch) + low skill cap(PvE = spam h. Blades, WvW = 30.000HP + more dmg with auto attacks(hammer) than other classes on full zerk – spam F1 and your auto attack), Healing…well I´ll stop here. Looks like ANet is only playing warrior.

However I´ll stop crying about my elementalist. I love the flashy skills and I like to use combos instead of bashing my autoattacks 24/7. Let´s see how this will end…I already saw things like this on the lfg tool “LF3M, only 80, no ranger/ele”…it makes me sad

in Elementalist

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Warriors have bad endurance regen which matters more than any amount of health or armor. Necromancers can at least get away with lack of endurance since they have a very large, rapidly-refilling health pool but warriors lack ways to refill their health pool once they lose it.

The tankiest PvE classes are probably mesmer, then engineer, then guardian. Warrior is, as always, pretty average at literally everything.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malcastus.6240

Malcastus.6240

We have build diversity in PvE, as you can kill most things given enough time. People will likely not want to bring you along for speed runs, unless you have a pure damage build though.

In PvP matters are much worse..

in Elementalist

Posted by: ImProVocateur.5189

ImProVocateur.5189

When Ultima had rampant God-Mode PKers I chose not to subscribe passed trial.

When DAoC pushed crowd-control I hated it. When DAoC pushed standard soldier classes through the roof I quit.

When Warhammer Online pushed standard soldier classes to AFK-mode-wins I quit.

Do you see the pattern? It might have something to do with product life cycle and the type of support and players an older game gets.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Andross.5183

Andross.5183

Do you see the pattern? It might have something to do with product life cycle and the type of support and players an older game gets.

The problem with eles being pretty much broken to almost uselessness has been in GW2 since beta. During beta eles were much stronger. I think the issue is that Anet doesn’t really know how to properly design a class like eles, because they all play warriors.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Phi Is Sly.1857

Phi Is Sly.1857

The problem with eles being pretty much broken to almost uselessness has been in GW2 since beta. During beta eles were much stronger. I think the issue is that Anet doesn’t really know how to properly design a class like eles, because they all play warriors.

Seen them in game, can confirm.

in Elementalist

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Warriors have bad endurance regen which matters more than any amount of health or armor. Necromancers can at least get away with lack of endurance since they have a very large, rapidly-refilling health pool but warriors lack ways to refill their health pool once they lose it.

The tankiest PvE classes are probably mesmer, then engineer, then guardian. Warrior is, as always, pretty average at literally everything.

They might have vigour access not as easy as mesmer but they have other tools.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hanako.1827

Hanako.1827

I like how the OP clearly stole the title from another thread because it sounds clever.

Good points, but I hate people that steal things like this…