Lighting Flash No Longer a Stun-Breaker...?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

Assuming such is true, how does that even make sense? I thought all teleporting utility-skills (Blink, Judge’s Intervention, etc) were supposed to be stun-breakers, the fact that all cantrips are supposed to as well aside. What do people think about this double-negative in GW2-logic?

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Allelya.6830

Allelya.6830

Assuming such is true, how does that even make sense? I thought all teleporting utility-skills (Blink, Judge’s Intervention, etc) were supposed to be stun-breakers, the fact that all cantrips are supposed to as well aside. What do people think about this double-negative in GW2-logic?

Wait until the official patch notes before you float down the river.

Delvien – d/d Elementalist – Gates of Madness

in Elementalist

Velimere.7685

Wait until the official patch notes before you float down the river.

Read the initial clause of my first sentence. My query for feedback acknowledges the state of assumption.

(edited by Velimere.7685)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

Eh, if it happens, so be it. I learned long ago in MMOs to roll with the punches.

I’ve been using Flash offensively more often than defensively anyway. And i still have a lot of stun-breakers without Flash.

I also don’t sPvP but i can see how it would be a big change there.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aether McLoud.1975

Aether McLoud.1975

I like how every post that’s like “heh, it’s not a huge nerf, I won’t even notice it” ends with “I don’t sPVP”.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Razor.6392

Razor.6392

It’s terrible lol, it’s not consistent with every other utility blink in the game.

Level 60 pvp
Ele & thief main (full ascended)
Down with the braindead faceroll classes.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

I like how every post that’s like “heh, it’s not a huge nerf, I won’t even notice it” ends with “I don’t sPVP”.

I said that because in sPvP you’re more likely to 1v1, 2v2, etc, where having that one extra stun breaker can make a big difference.

In WvW, one extra stun breaker isn’t going to save you from 30 people trying to cc you at the same time.

OP makes no mention of sPvP, i just mentioned it to give a better idea of where my opinions are coming from.

edit; and i said i could see how it was a big change for sPvP, but whatever

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Not all Teleport skills break stun. Look at this list: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Teleport

in Elementalist

Posted by: Frostedblaze.9017

Frostedblaze.9017

It’ll still be a great skill to use offensively.

Aiden Frost
Check out my S/D Ele tPvP guide: http://intothemists.com/guides/202-aiden_frosts_sd_sustain_burst

in Elementalist

Posted by: Razor.6392

Razor.6392

Not all Teleport skills break stun. Look at this list: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Teleport

Utility skills do IIRC.

(as in, those at the right of your healing ability)

Except it was never used offensively for anything other than churning earth -_-

Level 60 pvp
Ele & thief main (full ascended)
Down with the braindead faceroll classes.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Utility skills do IIRC.

Burning Speed, Fire Grab, Earthquake say hi.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

in Elementalist

Posted by: ANGRYShavedWhale.7563

ANGRYShavedWhale.7563

The question I now have, are you able to use lighten flash while under stun(port to another location but still stunned)? If this is true, then water 3, cantraps grant regen will still work with Bowl of Saffron-scented Poultry Soup. Meaning you could still remove 1 condition.

in Elementalist

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

what is wrong with the new light flash? anet lower the cd and it still an instant which means you can use it when stunned but of course you stay stunned

most stuns only last one second

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

Oh god ..Its not big of a deal at all. With a bit of a skill this change will be unnoticable.
Port right before you get hit so you keep the time the enemy will start chasing you while you remain in stun as low as possible.Cc from ranged classes dont last long enough.
Well if you get updrafted and port immediately close enogh you ll probably get hit by a super fast phoenix but..whatever..nerf ele. :P Though even then you can still save the port for the very last moment to avoid everything

in Elementalist

Posted by: Benji.9203

Benji.9203

Utility skills do IIRC.

Burning Speed, Fire Grab, Earthquake say hi.

don’t forget that updraft, FGS #4 and FGS #3

in Elementalist

loseridoit.2756

Oh god ..Its not big of a deal at all. With a bit of a skill this change will be unnoticable.
Port right before you get hit so you keep the time the enemy will start chasing you while you remain in stun as low as possible.Cc from ranged classes dont last long enough.
Well if you get updrafted and port immediately close enogh you ll probably get hit by a super fast phoenix but..whatever..nerf ele. :P Though even then you can still save the port for the very last moment to avoid everything

i thnk with a bit of skill, this change is a buff. lower cd means more mobility

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

^ Yeah!Only things that really hurts imo is cleansing fire ..Wtih invulns and ports ,doesnt matter.They dont rely as much in stunbreaking to protect you. Most of the time i used them to avoid burst when immobilised anyway.. but I just think that cleansing fire should get even lower cd like 30 sec The 3 sec burn is a very poor trade for the 40 sec cd.

in Elementalist

loseridoit.2756

^ Yeah!Only things that really hurts imo is cleansing fire ..Wtih invulns and ports ,doesnt matter.They dont rely as much in stunbreaking to protect you. Most of the time i used them to avoid burst when immobilised anyway.. but I just think that cleansing fire should get even lower cd like 30 sec The 3 sec burn is a very poor trade for the 40 sec cd.

well, killing bad elemental will be easier but i will more afraid of skilled eles

in Elementalist

Posted by: ARM.3912

ARM.3912

When are you guys going to get the message? ANET DOESNT WANT YOU TO PLAY AN ELEMENTALIST. That’s the beginning middle and end of the patch notes.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

i thnk with a bit of skill, this change is a buff. lower cd means more mobility

The cooldown reduction (or projected cooldown reduction I should say till this whole thing is confirmed) is only 5 seconds. Thats not a whole lot for losing such a key part to the utility. It goes from the current 45 to 40 seconds. That is not a good tradeoff. Id rather the 45 seconds and the stunbreak over the 5 second reduction and 50% damage. If the cooldown was lowered to 35 or 30, then we could talk.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ptolomy.6984

Ptolomy.6984

Why is a stunbreak worth only 5 sec? Signet of air gets a 10 sec cd increase for adding a stunbreak. They could’ve least been a bit consistent and shave 10 sec off the cd of lightning flash

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

They probably (laughably) think the damage buff is worth 5 seconds. Ironically our blink is also way more noticeable than others due to the massive lightning bolt, making it even worse as an escape mechanism.

The only upside is travelling in pve will now be very slightly faster. But our mobility is still nothing compared to what it was before the ridiculous rtl cooldown nerf (in pve).

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

(edited by Jabberwock.9014)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

I think the point is, they don’t want it to be an escape mechanism anymore. It’s supposed to be an aggresive blink to get you into melee(?) combat. I’m not really sure I like it, but it does help differentiate it from Blink.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

in Elementalist

loseridoit.2756

I think the point is, they don’t want it to be an escape mechanism anymore. It’s supposed to be an aggresive blink to get you into melee(?) combat. I’m not really sure I like it, but it does help differentiate it from Blink.

i will argue it a better escape mechanism because its on a lower cd.

As long as the teleport is still an instant, anet actually buffed the skill a bit

in Elementalist

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

How about waiting until tomorrow to find out if it’s true and then trying out the changes in depth to see how it works in practice instead of just on paper?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

Even if it isn’t a stun breaker, you can still teleport while stunned.

in Elementalist

Posted by: solarisnox.8521

solarisnox.8521

When are you guys going to get the message? ANET DOESNT WANT YOU TO PLAY AN ELEMENTALIST. That’s the beginning middle and end of the patch notes.

LoL…sure seems that way…why I wasted 1200 hours playing one, and hundreds of in game gold and rw cash money on stuff for my ele I will never understand when they treat us like this.

in Elementalist

solarisnox.8521

this kind of utility skill is intended to be used as both a means of getting into combat and a means of escaping combat, as the situation dictates.

now that I’ve watched the “state of the game” from March, I realize that the developers, at least the “balancing” person, Karl M has an obsessive fascination with the thief profession and a clearly obvious dislike for the elementalist profession, since he doesn’t want the ele to be able to do any of the things a thief can do, (i.e. have mobility), but he wants the thief to have all the ability to move, stealth, attack, kill instantly, stealth away when losing, and never ever ever die in combat.

The ele, on the other hand, should be killed instantly on sight. I think if he had his way all other classes or at least the thief, would have a signet of rooting that immobilizes the ele permanently until dead.

this ‘jack of all trades master of none’ nonsense is a bunch of bullkitten.

in a game that has deconstructed the “holy trinity” all classes become jacks of all trades, or else each class should have it’s own defined role. So far, only the thief seems to have a fully defined role: that of unstopable invisible killing machine.

in Elementalist

solarisnox.8521

and sadly, there is no place in a game like this for a “jack of all trades”. if the elementalist cannot be the master of something, it is a useless and pointless aspect of the game, and should either be removed from the game entirely, or allowed to be what it is and was clearly intended to be from the game’s inception, as evidenced during beta: a master of all trades.
it’s bad enough ele’s don’t get weapon swapping, so they are forced to choose between melee and ranged, in essence, the ability to live or die in a fight, since a staff ele almost always dies in any wvw fight…(note I said almost always…there are a tiny tiny handful of exceptionally skilled players who manage to make the staff ele look easy, and i envy them)…or to fight and sometimes hope to win, or at least have the ability to get away if they are losing…oh wait, they nerfed that ability…so really the options are fight and die from range or fight and die from up close, or try to run away and fail and die.

wow, thanks anet for ‘balancing’ the class so thoroughly.

in Elementalist

Posted by: vizups.3824

vizups.3824

The most annoying thing is the nerf on bountiful power.
Personally i dont care about that they remove stun break from lightning flash , i like the dmg buff on it :P. Flash into enemies and fak them up.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Swim.6830

Swim.6830

I wish to be able to teleport vertically as well now to balance out the change pls (like other classes can do)

Zwim Elementalist
Consigliere
The Dragoon Brotherhood

in Elementalist

Velimere.7685

Not all Teleport skills break stun.

I guess it’s a good thing I specifically noted teleporting UTILITY-skills, then, right?

in Elementalist

Posted by: MaineDutch.1674

MaineDutch.1674

I play a dagger/dagger cantrip elementalist build and this skill was literally my life line. I am made to go in, burst, give might stacks, and stay as long as i can and when i need to gtfo this is my baby. now it doesnt break stuns? like wth. this will make dagger/dagger worse now, and its the only fun elementalist play style.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Not all Teleport skills break stun.

I guess it’s a good thing I specifically noted teleporting UTILITY-skills, then, right?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Merciful_Intervention

in Elementalist

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Lightning Flash doesn’t need to break stun. You can cast it while stunned to avoid damage. The whole point of stunning someone is to deal damage to them while they’re stunned. Lighting Flash will keep you stunned after the port but it helped you to avoid the damage.

Lightning Flash was buffed, not nerfed.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Swim.6830

Swim.6830

Lightning Flash doesn’t need to break stun. You can cast it while stunned to avoid damage. The whole point of stunning someone is to deal damage to them while they’re stunned. Lighting Flash will keep you stunned after the port but it helped you to avoid the damage.

Lightning Flash was buffed, not nerfed.

Yup, totally helped avoid that damage for 1 extra second and then being charged by a warrior after the teleport to be smashed again… In a normal scenario I would have been able to dodge.

Zwim Elementalist
Consigliere
The Dragoon Brotherhood

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

The biggest hit I took was not being able to bait CC and stuns out of more skilled players who were extremely careful about wasting them. Waiting for a stun and then immediately flashing out of it to chain into something like Updraft or Earthquake for nice combo damage is something I will miss. I would have been less upset about this if they had moved the stunbreaks to skills with more immediate defensive utility.

I don’t quite understand the point of having a stunbreak on Glyph of Elemental Power, since the skill’s effect is pretty much asking you to use the spell on recharge, which any ele that was actually using this skill probably did in an extended fight. What this means is that you either get an alright constant effect offensively or you wait to use the stunbreak and get no added defensive utility for doing so. The function could have been reworked a tad imo.

On a similar note, the Signet of Air change is also confusing. The blind is a nice defensive utility, but it’s essentially in the same boat since it will provide not much more than that; the damage is (like a lot of ele utilities that just happen to have any damage) pretty negligible. Please also keep in mind that this requires a target in order to apply its secondary effect.

TL;DR – I appreciate their efforts to spread stun breakers around a little more, but I’m having trouble pin-pointing the thought processes that led to the changes we are seeing.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Melkiah.2496

Melkiah.2496

i don’t see a big deal with the stun breaker removing, lightning flash still does its job pretty well

Melkiah Soulreaper
VII Guild
Elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: Chimaster.8165

Chimaster.8165

LoL…sure seems that way…why I wasted 1200 hours playing one, and hundreds of in game gold and rw cash money on stuff for my ele I will never understand when they treat us like this.

Same… time to re roll a golden child?

in Elementalist

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

i don’t see a big deal with the stun breaker removing, lightning flash still does its job pretty well

^This

While i don’t think 5s is worth losing a stunbreaker for a bit more damage it was probably the cantrip with the least to lose from losing its stunbreaker, by design it acts as a pseudo-stunbreaker anyway by porting you out of the way. CF got hit far harder because of it, so much so in fact i don’t see much point in taking it anymore. I can cleanse my conditions through other means.

(edited by sinzer.4018)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

I am definitely noticing the impact of the change in WvW. People saying it doesn’t make much difference are just kidding themselves.