Lightning Field Sucks

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: SecondtoNone.7549

SecondtoNone.7549

I hate how a blast finisher in a lightning field only gives swiftness which is pretty much useless in battle. Sure, I’ll use it when I run long distances but I want something useful in battle. Imo, since air is about single target damage and precision, the lightning field should give AoE fury. Or it should give elementalists the ability to fly. Or an air ball to ride on (like in Avatar).

Who’s with me?

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Curring.9752

Curring.9752

Fury for 5 seconds maybe, but usually you should be saving your blast finishers for water/fire anyways?

In the greater blob of things, there is only the zerg.
Kittens, Kittens everywhere!

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

SecondtoNone.7549

Yeah, but it’d be nice if lightning field had a nice boon too.

I do find frost armor a little strange too though. The duration is too short. It’s like 2 seconds and it runs out by the time frozen ground run outs which makes it a little pointless. When I cast frozen ground, I’m always dancing around it anyway. It’d be nice if the frost armor lasted a little bit longer even after frozen ground has faded away.

So, mostly, I just combo fire field and stack might.

(edited by SecondtoNone.7549)

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

Think of frozen armor as extension of frozen ground itself, blasting right before it goes off will lend more chills.
And lightning field is still rocking vulnerability.

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

SecondtoNone.7549

Think of frozen armor as extension of frozen ground itself, blasting right before it goes off will lend more chills.
And lightning field is still rocking vulnerability.

You have a point about the extension thing but I guess it just bugs me about how short the boon duration is. I dont think It’d be OP if it lasted a few seconds more.

Ah, I forgot about the vulnerability. I don’t combo projectiles out of frost fields very often. I’ll remember that.

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

You have a point about the extension thing but I guess it just bugs me about how short the boon duration is. I dont think It’d be OP if it lasted a few seconds more.

Ah, I forgot about the vulnerability. I don’t combo projectiles out of frost fields very often. I’ll remember that.

While auramancer’s mass frost armor will be much more efficient, this combo is free for any build with blasts. Well, not so free, most of the time it’s better to either 3blast water field, either 3blast fire field.
Eles don’t have that much reliable projectile finishers, but lightning and frost combo works miracle with something like unload thief, rangers, etc.
I like dropping those near pack of ranged classes while doing champion abomination, almost guaranteed 25stack of vulnerability on it or chill.

With these above in mind, we should always look into possibility of other profession’s combo finishers before dropping our fields.
Blasting your water field, or asking thief or warrior to blast your fire field will lend your party 25 stacks of might or much needed heal.
This will require good coordination, but totally worth it.

(edited by Winds.3087)

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Morelia.6835

Morelia.6835

Eruption+Arcane Wave+Stasis Field is an awesome combo for stacking Swiftness. This is rather important in WvW so I’d really hate to see the effect changed.

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Albane.8367

Albane.8367

Quit complaining about staff combos. IMO, Staff has too many combos in comparison to the other weapon choices.

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

If the blast finisher is the only reason you have for the field to ‘suck’, then you don’t have a reason at all in my opinion.

In fact, I like the fact that it gives swiftness for the exact reason you mention. I’ll use my blast finishers with other fields in combat tyvm.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

While auramancer’s mass frost armor will be much more efficient, this combo is free for any build with blasts. Well, not so free, most of the time it’s better to either 3blast water field, either 3blast fire field.
Eles don’t have that much reliable projectile finishers, but lightning and frost combo works miracle with something like unload thief, rangers, etc.
I like dropping those near pack of ranged classes while doing champion abomination, almost guaranteed 25stack of vulnerability on it or chill.

With these above in mind, we should always look into possibility of other profession’s combo finishers before dropping our fields.
Blasting your water field, or asking thief or warrior to blast your fire field will lend your party 25 stacks of might or much needed heal.
This will require good coordination, but totally worth it.

Chill is kinda useful, butthe vulnerability is completely useless because it stacks intensity.
It´s so short that what vulnerability is gained fades before next shot lands, or in case of rapid fire things, it´s gone second after the last projectile hits.

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aether McLoud.1975

Aether McLoud.1975

AOE swiftness is the best thing about lightning field.

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

SecondtoNone.7549

I just feel like Staff Eles rely a lot on combos and I just wish they were a little better and more pivotal rather than just a small freebie for placing your spells in the right way.

Swiftness is good in WvWvW. I just wish it was better in battle.

And yeah, I use frost armor a lot, I like it. The only thing that bugs me is the small duration that ends when frozen ground does.

I just wish all the fields were equally as good as a fire field. 30 seconds of might stacks just seem much better than swiftness or frozen armor.

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: SwickHobo.5096

SwickHobo.5096

Lightning Field+Devourer Venom+Heartseaker Spam=Win……..so much win….

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xolo.3580

Xolo.3580

The OP’s logic is sound. Since it is called “Air” attunement, we should consequently be allowed to fly while in it

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Crunchy Gremlin.5798

Crunchy Gremlin.5798

lightning field gives a stun on leap attacks.
ele has at least 3 leaps.

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

lightning field gives a stun on leap attacks.
ele has at least 3 leaps.

And two of them are linked to conjures. The third, earth 3, is unreliable at best because of its slow projectile requiring a hit to even get the leap finish.

On another note, I love casting earth 2 into air 5 with air 4 and getting mass aoe swiftness at the beginning of a pvp match; it really helps my team get to points quickly and often lasts into their first fights.

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Crunchy Gremlin.5798

Crunchy Gremlin.5798

it is true that giving everyone 30+ seconds of swiftness is powerfull.
yes conjures

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Scribbles.7493

Scribbles.7493

AoE Swiftness is quite important in WvW, and Elementalists can stack a lot of it due to (AFAIK) being the only ones with a lightning field.

Also, Lightning Field + Tornado = vulnerability bolts. Again, an excellent combo in WvW against buffed NPC lords.

Blacktide – [CIR]
Crimson Imperium Reborn

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

SecondtoNone.7549

The OP’s logic is sound. Since it is called “Air” attunement, we should consequently be allowed to fly while in it

This person understands what I mean. Flying would totally fix all the problems Eles have. Eles have low hp? Low DPS? Low Burst? It’s ok! Eles can kittening fly.

But to be realistic…

I understand the AoE swiftness helps with traveling, but I’d just rather have a buff that’s useful in combat (like fury which totally makes sense for an air attunement combo). So, no, AoE swiftness isnt useless in general, but I find it very underwhelming compared to might stacks (or even frost armor).

Also, as a staff ele, leap isnt available to me unless I pick up conjures and that’s a NO CAN DO in PVP. I need at least 2 stunbreaking cantrips to survive. Of course, I also carry arcane wave because I like comboing and that’s why I made this thread.

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Scribbles.7493

Scribbles.7493

Ohh, so everyone else should be forced to adapt to your preferences, because you think swiftness is underwhelming for your playstyle, eventhough many other elementalists disagree?

If you want combat buffs so badly, use fire fields.

Fire field + blast = combat (might)
Water field + blast = healing (AoE heal)
Ice field + blast = defense (frost armor)
Lightning field + blast = support (AoE swiftness)

Seeing as the staff is our weapon of versatility, I don’t really see any problem here.

Blacktide – [CIR]
Crimson Imperium Reborn

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I think the lightning field is great, situational like all the others, sometimes you gotta go fast. And vulnerability/stun combos with other classes is rather nice.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dams.6951

Dams.6951

Don’t forget that Lighting Field+Leap is a Daze, which is incredibly awesome! Both of them conveniently located on the Conjure Lightning Hammer bar, too

Lightning Field Sucks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Haette.2701

Haette.2701

Fury seems like something that would come from an Arcane Field.