Mainhand Sword for Elementalists

in Elementalist

Posted by: Piratoz.8627

Piratoz.8627

As seen in a thread in the HoT forum, people have been figuring out which weapons will be given for each profession in heart of thorns. Someone pointed out that a light armor class is seen wielding a mainhand sword and offhand dagger in the expansion trailer at 1:14 when the three characters are running away from a rolling mordrem. Additionally we also know that mesmers will be getting shield offhand and necros will be getting greatswords as their profession specialization weapon sets. In an interview by shacknews the journalist asked: “Shacknews: The expansion is set to introduce some new mechanics. Can you explain more about Mastery and Specializations?” with Colin Johanson’s response being: “Each of the professions will be getting one of these Specializations and this also is a framework that we’ll use to grow the professions in the future.” While it is disappointing that there will be only one specialization upon release of HoT, this does mean that we will get swords!

Personally I am pumped about getting swords and becoming a spellsword sort of class. My hope is that this will be a direct damage weapon that scales well with power and NOT a condition focused weapon similar to the warrior sword because we all know about the state of conditions in PvE… Additionally we already have a weapon that applies conditions: the scepter (granted only earth and fire attune apply conditions). What about you guys?

Specialization discussion thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Let-s-Talk-About-Specializations

Interview with Colin: http://www.shacknews.com/article/87848/guild-wars-2-director-discusses-heart-of-thorns-revenants-guild-halls-and-more

HoT Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOUk2y0K2m8

Edit: So I looked more closely at a higher quality version of the trailer and it indeed looks like the light armored human female has no offhand (thanks youtube compression). I’ll leave it as likely but not confirmed as a mesmer is already shown in the next shot.

(edited by Piratoz.8627)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Phantaram.1265

Phantaram.1265

I think you are talking about the human on the right side during 1:14. While I see the sword I’m having a hard time making out a dagger. I see something but I’m pretty sure it’s just a part of the armor.

From other angles it really looks like it is sword only and there is no offhand. If that’s the case it could very well be a mesmer.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

There is nothing in the offhand for either the blue Sylvari in the middle nor the Human Female on the right. Both of these characters are wielding swords, but neither have an offhand equipped. You can see this further in the next sequence when you see a side by side of them and you can see there’s nothing on their hip. The human has a set of armor that has a bit of a skirt with a hole in it that in certain frames can make the back half of that skirt loop look like a dagger.

While this doesn’t debunk the idea that Elementalists are getting Swords it doesn’t confirm it either.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xaielao.8510

Xaielao.8510

If you are going to say confirmed in your title you have to have some developer statement, interview or video on the subject.

Some people seeing a light armored character with a sword in one hand and a blurry bit that could be a dagger but just as likely is part of their armor is NOT a confirmation.

But here’s hoping. I want to make a swordmage so bad!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Smirgel.9460

Smirgel.9460

Eles are probably getting MH sword and spellsword specialization! http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Spellsword_%28Class%29

in Elementalist

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

It’s time to tip the scales!

Attachments:

in Elementalist

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Just please let it not be an arcanist, it seems the most obvious choice, but I HATE the arcane tree, the arcane skills, even the word arcane after these past two years of having 1-2 viable build paths, all in the arcane tree to some degree! Give us something else already!

in Elementalist

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Pretty sure in the picture on the HoT site that the ele has a conjured sword… so I imagine they’ll get the sword.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Elementalist

Posted by: pdboddy.4162

pdboddy.4162

If you’re talking about the Specializations image, the woman holding a conjured sword in her left hand is the Mesmer.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Got darn it will you people post pics so we all can see what you all showing please!!!! Some of us at work and can’t see the video

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

I’m crossing my fingers that we don’t get a sword (would rather a bow) but I have a track record of making the opposite happen when I hope for something (like no Tengus in the update) so that’s almost as good as a confirmation ele will get swords.

in Elementalist

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

Here’s my ideas on sword. Something I posted but no one has commented on, tell me what do you guys think about these ideas?

Fire:
A. Fire lash: Lash out with your sword aided by the power of fire. Range: 450 Cast time: .1 second Enemies hit: 5
B. Burning edge: Bring your enhanced sword backdown on your foes. Range: 450 Cast time: .1 second. Enemies hit: 5
C. Impact: Deliver a powerful uppercut with your sword, causing an explosion on impact and blinding nearby enemies. Range: 450. Cast time: .2 seconds. Enemies hit: 5

A. Fire Leash: extend a tendril of fire out towards your foe, teathering them with fire and burning them every second they are teathered. Range: 900 Cast time: .5 seconds. Enemies hit:1. Teather duration: 3 seconds
B. Retrieval: Retireve your flaming leash. Range: 900. Cast time: .5 seconds. Knockdown duration: 1 second

3. Backdraft:
Stab your sword into the ground causing a backdraft that deals heavy damage and locks back your foes.
Damage: 1900. Radius: 240. Cast time: .5 seconds. Knockback range: 100. Knockdown duration: 1.5 seconds

Water:
1. A. Current: slice your blade across your foes driven by the current of the ocean.
Range: 450. Cast time: .1 second. Enemies hit: 3
B. Crash: bring your sword down on your foes with the power of a crashing wave: range: 450. Cast time: .2 seconds. Enemies hit: 3

2. Whirlpool: summon a whirl pool to protect around you, giving out AoE healing and damage.
Radius: 180. Cast time: .2 seconds. Duration: 5 seconds. Healing: 700 health per pulse. Damage: 750 per pulse. 1 pulse per second. Foes hit: 5

3. Torrent: Rush forward in a surge of water, stunning your foe: Range: 900. Cast time: .4 seconds. Stun duration: 1 second

Earth:
1. A. Obsidian Wrath: slice your fle with the extended reach of Obsidian: Range: 450. Cast time: .2 seconds. Does hit: 5
B. Obsidian Revenge: Follow up with a second, more powerful strike that crippled your for: Range: 450. Cast time: .2 seconds. Foes hit: 5
C. Obsidian Destruction: finish your foe with a massive strike that nothing survives:
Range: 500 Cast time: .4 seconds. Foes hit: 1. Damage: 1500

2. Earthen Tendrils: Plunge your sword into the earth, summoning tendrils all around you that immobilize foes: Radius: 260. Cast time: .5 seconds. Immobilize duration: 4.5 seconds. Tendril duration: 5 seconds. Pulse: Every 2.5 seconds. Damage per pulse: 1000

3. Surge: Surge forward with the pulse of an Earthquake, knocking down all foes in your path. Range: 600. Cast time: .3 seconds. Knockdown duration: 2 seconds

Air:
1. A. Aerial strike: Strike as fast as wind, damaging your foes: Range: 450. Cast time: instant. Enemies hit: 5
B. Brilliant slash: slash your foe with a strike so fast it cuts straight through even the strongest materials. Range: 450. Cast time: .1 seconds. Enemies hit: 5. Damage: 1000
C. Electric release: Stab at your foe, electrifying the air around your sword: Range: 450. Cast time: .2 seconds. Damage: 600. Stun duration: .5 seconds

2. Thunderbolt: Summon a thunderbolt to conduct through your sword and into the earth, damaging all foes around you: Radius: 260. Cast time: .5 seconds. Damage: 1200

3. Electric reaction:launch an arc of lightning at your foe which spread to all of the surrounding foes, dazing them all. If there are no surrounding foes, the foe is electrocuted with high voltage and stunned. Range: 900. Daze duration: .5 seconds. Stun duration: 3.5 seconds. Cast time: .5 seconds. Damage when arced: 700. Damage with no arc: 1500

Just something I know I would enjoy, what do you guys think about these ideas?

in Elementalist

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Whatever it is, i’m guessing it’s going to be some kind of melee/medium range caster, as D/D is point-bank/melee range and long range is pretty well covered.

downed state is bad for PVP

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Whatever it is, i’m guessing it’s going to be some kind of melee/medium range caster, as D/D is point-bank/melee range and long range is pretty well covered.

Most D/D skills aren’t REALLY melee, but already fill that medium-range role. If you don’t consider 300-450 range medium range, than scepter definitely is.

A good single-target range option is really what is missing for eles.

Alternatively, a truly condition weapon is also a hole in the ele repertoire, although that would make most sense as pistols or an OH-focus.