Make conjured weapons fun (for me)

in Elementalist

Posted by: ravenclaw.3017

ravenclaw.3017

As an explorer and casual roleplayer, I am permitted more fun with conjured weapons since the 8 August 2017 patch. The change hopefully represents a shift in the intended role of conjured weapons: They are not (or not only) burst tools for a few seconds of I-AM-DEATH-INCARNATE every minute but rather meant to be high-availability sustained damage and utility. I’d like to offer some remaining pain points between me and unreserved enjoyment of conjured weapons, and propose a change to remove the pain points with negligible impact on the power level of conjured weapons.

Pain points

1. The second conjured weapon is stationary and gets left behind when traversing terrain. For each conjured weapon, I don’t have access to it 30 seconds out of every 60 while moving.

2. When roleplaying with conjured weapons, they disappear in my hands while I’m busy formulating the next audacious airs of ample affectation. Picking another one from the ground or casting a second pair strains suspension of disbelief.

3. To use scepter/focus effectively, I rely on lightning hammber being available twice every minute. People like to steal my lightning hammer because it gives me a vague sense of dissatisfaction. Also they don’t take my proffered ice bow.

4. The second conjured weapon gets lost in the chaos of combat. My ice bow melted into a muddy puddle.

The proposed change

Instead of reducing recharge time of conjured weapon skills, the trait “Conjurer” does the following.

- Conjured weapon skills do not create a second copy on the ground.

- Conjured weapon skills hold 2 charges.

- Conjured weapon skills gain 1 charge every 50% of their original recharge time. That is, flame axe, ice bow, lightning hammer and magnetic shield gain 1 charge every 30 seconds, and fiery great sword gains 1 charge every 90 seconds.

- Conjured flame axe, ice bow, lightning hammer and magnetic shield last forever.

Why the proposed change is good

Conjuring weapons for exploration feels great. Conjured weapons become another implement in the toolbox of the dramatically inclined. It enables builds to rely on conjured weapons for damage and equipped weapons for utility.

Why the proposed change is not problematic

After the 8 August update, conjured flame axe, ice bow, lightning hammer and magnetic shield have 100% up-time unless left behind or picked up by someone else. Each conjured weapon is available twice per minute. The new bullet system adds nothing to the up-time or the number of weapon switches per minute.

It is true one could switch to the same conjured weapon 3 times in quick succession, but it is not a problem because cooldowns are shared between copies of a conjured weapon.

I don’t know what to do about fiery great sword. It’s the only conjured weapon with less than 100% up-time after the 8 August update. While it feels bad to wait for a 90 second cooldown after blazing through a snowstorm, adjusting the duration of fiery great sword will change its power level.

(edited by ravenclaw.3017)

in Elementalist

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

The proposed change

Instead of reducing recharge time of conjured weapon skills, the trait “Conjurer” does the following.

- Conjured weapon skills do not create a second copy on the ground.

- Conjured weapon skills hold 2 charges.

- Conjured weapon skills gain 1 charge every 50% of their original recharge time. That is, flame axe, ice bow, lightning hammer and magnetic shield gain 1 charge every 30 seconds, and fiery great sword gains 1 charge every 90 seconds.

- Conjured flame axe, ice bow, lightning hammer and magnetic shield last forever.

With this you remove a key point in the conjure use, that is providing the weapon to allies.

I think conjures with 2 charges, each summoning a single conjure weapon and the option to drop it on the ground or on your hands (with targeting) is overall better and achieves the option to keep one 100% of the time (with the downtime of recasting it) or providing to allies (conjuring a shield to someone being focused for example).

in Elementalist

Posted by: Luindu.2418

Luindu.2418

Agree with use of ammo mechanic, but (imho) for balance and enjoy:

• As said, no time to disappear (like Engi), but recharge 30/60 sec once you drop it
  • Count Recharge: 5 sec, starting charges: 2 and Max.Count: 6
  • first skill must have 0 cost
  • Other skills have a cost based on their potential, by example Ice Storm (frostbow) cost 4.
  • Only 1 conjured weapon (on your hands) but Conjurer (trait) changed to: “Gain fire aura when an ally picks up a conjured weapon. You drop a second weapon on the mark”

With something like this, we can’t nuke with Ice Storm with a recently conjured frostbow but can enjoy more time of fighting with any weapon, and in addition Devs have better control of the balance with some skills, adjusting his ammo cost, without break all the conjured weapons.

P.D.: Obviously, the elite must have other numbers.

in Elementalist

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Agree with use of ammo mechanic, but (imho) for balance and enjoy:

• As said, no time to disappear (like Engi), but recharge 30/60 sec once you drop it
  • Count Recharge: 5 sec, starting charges: 2 and Max.Count: 6
  • first skill must have 0 cost
  • Other skills have a cost based on their potential, by example Ice Storm (frostbow) cost 4.
  • Only 1 conjured weapon (on your hands) but Conjurer (trait) changed to: “Gain fire aura when an ally picks up a conjured weapon. You drop a second weapon on the mark”

With something like this, we can’t nuke with Ice Storm with a recently conjured frostbow but can enjoy more time of fighting with any weapon, and in addition Devs have better control of the balance with some skills, adjusting his ammo cost, without break all the conjured weapons.

P.D.: Obviously, the elite must have other numbers.

I think you misunderstand the charge use on my proposal and the OP’s.
The charge is only to conjure the weapon, there are no charges on weapon skills.
So you can summon 2 in quickly succession (0.5 sec) and have the next one ready in 30s. Or you can summon them when their CD is over (30s) and have a constant supply…

The main problem with having conjures up permanently is that you cant do that and still give them away, or you would be able to arm a whole zerg with FGS…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Luindu.2418

Luindu.2418

The main problem with having conjures up permanently is that you cant do that and still give them away, or you would be able to arm a whole zerg with FGS…

I understood you, only thinking about a different way, but you’re right that use of conjured weapons would be a problem…