Making Overload worth casting

in Elementalist

Posted by: SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

IMHO there’s 2 changes that need to happen to make overload ever worth doing:

1. Some stacks (2?) of stability upon channeling.
2. The damage/healing/supporting the overcharge does MUST be better than whatever you could with the attunement for the ~20+ seconds you’re locked out of it (overload cast + downtime). So overloading fire needs to do more damage than what you could do with 20ish seconds of fire attunement (so 1 or 2 burning speeds, 3-4 dragon’s breathes).

Unless some changes like these are made, why should we ever even try to overload an attunement? We can already burn and give might in fire, heal and cleanse in water, damage in air and protect in earth WITHOUT overloading, all in the same spec.

So casting an overload needs to be WORTH THE RISK of casting them.

Last of the Red Hot Swamis

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Earth has a brake bar that kind of like stab and most ele run AoE you should be able to get off at least one overload.
Numbers are moved and things are buffed / nerfed you should not put too much into the number they show in the previews.
Your not locked out of the attunement unless you swap out of it after you use the overload.

Though i must say i would not mind seeing a brake bar added to all overload casting though it may make the class way to powerful. You would be going from a class who has 2 many be 3 stabs to a class who has 7 stabs.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

(edited by Jski.6180)

in Elementalist

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Overloading an element causes the desired effect during the channel. Finishing it allows it to linger where you finished it.

Some attunements like fire or air can benefit you even if you interrupt it/are CC’d. You’ll only lose out on a lingering field.

I think earth is the same way + a break bar to help you finish it, but if you don’t finish, you still get lots of damage and cripple.

No AoE immobilize or big finish damage though (think churning earth).

The only one that will probably be crucial to finish is the water overload, for the big bubble pop and heal.

Might still get regen and a few condi cleanse ticks should it be interrupted, like Ether Renewel.

But I do agree with you in general.

Overloads need to be worth that investment. That is a looooong time to be channeling something in battle, where every second is the difference between life and death.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Guilmon.9478

Guilmon.9478

i feel like they should make them bigger/increased range or more damage and add stability, also have the water one heal MORE, at the moment just going back and forth into water heals more than the crappy bubble channel

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mahuyo.3079

Mahuyo.3079

Okay the 1st thing I want to say, YOU ARE NOT LOCKED OUT OF AN ATTUNEMENT, you only get locked out of you swap, and mainly if u do staff you are in Fire most of they time, and u would swap out of battle to give yourself swifrness, or swap 2 water in battle for some healing. As for the overloads I hope that u can combo with them, like a nimbus with Meteor Storm. I really think the main changes that is mainly traiting, they should have a dmg like, and a good support line with nice condie removal, I will say that the shouts could have been a little more supporty, like the guardian, or somewhere in the middle. Like “Feel the Burn” could hit apply burn and strip a boon for each target hit. I think “Eye of the Storm” in nice could give cripple but that might not be Air Attunement like. And “Flash Freeze” could give you X heal for each target chill was applied to with it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

I don’t think overloads should increase the attunement cd at all. It doesn’t add anything more to the strategy of using them and just makes it so that they would need to be absurdly powerful to compete with the benefits of attunement cycling. The wait time and channel time are enough drawbacks.

in Elementalist

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Earth has a brake bar that kind of like stab and most ele run AoE you should be able to get off at least one overload.
Numbers are moved and things are buffed / nerfed you should not put too much into the number they show in the previews.
Your not locked out of the attunement unless you swap out of it after you use the overload.

Though i must say i would not mind seeing a brake bar added to all overload casting though it may make the class way to powerful. You would be going from a class who has 2 many be 3 stabs to a class who has 7 stabs.

If the break bar of the overload only affects you during the channel then it’s not the same as having more stability. You can’t do anything else during the channel, only channel the overload. That doesn’t make the class way too powerful. Instead with the number of CCs available in the game, an overload skill will just be interrupted and you can’t do anything to avoid it.

Numbers are buffed/nerfed but that doesn’t mean we can’t say if the current damage of certain skills is good or bad. See what happened with the Revenant overall DPS, if people didn’t state that Revs do way too low damage, we wouldn’t see a change.

Making the Overloads do as much damage (or healing, or provide movement impairing conditions like cripple etc) as you would do without using an overload is what is needed to make overloads usable. Otherwise, combined with the serious drawback of being very long channels, I don’t see them used in any situation

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Making the Overloads do as much damage (or healing, or provide movement impairing conditions like cripple etc) as you would do without using an overload is what is needed to make overloads usable. Otherwise, combined with the serious drawback of being very long channels, I don’t see them used in any situation

They should be more effective than what you can normally do, not just equal otherwise there is still no point to using the overload due to the risk of the channel. These abilities should be way more powerful than anything we can do in 5 seconds to justify the 20 second lockout & 5 second wait time & danger of channeling a skill.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

in Elementalist

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Ask friends for stability? Guardian shout, rev IR and so on ? No class should have everything at all times. There is cost to everything cost for being powerful is having no stability for this effect. Because of that the effect is stronger. If they gave it stability they would also make it weaker because of less interplay and less counters.

in Elementalist

maddoctor.2738

Ask friends for stability? Guardian shout, rev IR and so on ? No class should have everything at all times. There is cost to everything cost for being powerful is having no stability for this effect. Because of that the effect is stronger. If they gave it stability they would also make it weaker because of less interplay and less counters.

Is it stronger? From the livestream it’s possible that you can do more damage with your regular skills in 5 sec than channeling fire or air overload. You can heal for more using traits and cleansing wave (or even warhorn water skills) than using the Water Overload.

So the question is: is it stronger?

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

I actually agree with you, if the Overload was stronger than just using your normal abilities.

in Elementalist

Mahuyo.3079

I don’t think overloads should increase the attunement cd at all. It doesn’t add anything more to the strategy of using them and just makes it so that they would need to be absurdly powerful to compete with the benefits of attunement cycling. The wait time and channel time are enough drawbacks.

You realize, that even when you use an overload, you don’t get booted out of your attunement, and even if you do swap it is 5 to 7 secs in each attunement.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Basically now you have to camp an attunement to get the overload. I think this has to be rethought. It limits so much defensive abilities.

For example: you cannot use magnetic aura, swap to water and overload. By the time overload is ready your aura will be gone.

All of this would function if it was an F5 skill (general overload, on cooldown) and there were no delay on the overload skills. But at the present time the overload function against the elementalist play style, which is it’s biggest problem.

Why do we have 4 keys to overload anyway? Shouldn’t overload be one key that just overload the attunement you are in?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

You realize, that even when you use an overload, you don’t get booted out of your attunement, and even if you do swap it is 5 to 7 secs in each attunement.

If you use an Overload and then swap, you can’t switch back for 20s.
No one is saying it kicks you out, but what else are you gonna do after an Overload other than swap? You already sat in it for 5s so you probably already used skills 1-5.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

If the break bar of the overload only affects you during the channel then it’s not the same as having more stability. You can’t do anything else during the channel, only channel the overload. That doesn’t make the class way too powerful. Instead with the number of CCs available in the game, an overload skill will just be interrupted and you can’t do anything to avoid it.

Numbers are buffed/nerfed but that doesn’t mean we can’t say if the current damage of certain skills is good or bad. See what happened with the Revenant overall DPS, if people didn’t state that Revs do way too low damage, we wouldn’t see a change.

You can move when overloading if you give tempest to much stab brake bars etc.. your going to bring back the old d/d unstoppable ele becuse overloading would be more of an “you cant stop me from running away” type of effect.

in Elementalist

maddoctor.2738

You can move when overloading if you give tempest to much stab brake bars etc.. your going to bring back the old d/d unstoppable ele becuse overloading would be more of an “you cant stop me from running away” type of effect.

Wait so we get an unusable mechanic because otherwise eles can get away?

in Elementalist

Posted by: tuck.2719

tuck.2719

do we have 4 keys to overload anyway? Shouldn’t overload be one key that just overload the attunement you are in?

I personally would hate that. I’ve already got key binds set up for everything I need. Adding another key means I have to find a place to put it, and train myself to start using it. By keeping it on F1-F4, I don’t need a new key bind and new muscle memory.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

Wait so we get an unusable mechanic because otherwise eles can get away?

Well if your not using something at the time is it ok for some one to take something from you? Its better to have it then not its as simple as that.

in Elementalist

Mahuyo.3079

No one is saying it kicks you out, but what else are you gonna do after an Overload other than swap? You already sat in it for 5s so you probably already used skills 1-5.

Okay that is fine, but even so, 20s cd is not that long and it would take u that long 2 swap though ur attunements.

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

Okay that is fine, but even so, 20s cd is not that long and it would take u that long 2 swap though ur attunements.

Not that long? Elementalists were FORCED into Arcana a long time ago because we had like 15s base attunement swap and Arcana lowered it to like 13s or so. That was back then when there weren’t Instant-Nuke Mesmers and Thieves blowing people up. You think 20s in this burst meta is fine?

Also, if it takes you 20s to cycle through three of your attunements, you probably need to practice more and/or your pressure and sustain are going to be abysmal.

in Elementalist

Mahuyo.3079

It take what 8s per swap on attunement, if u swap every 8s u have a + of 4s. And you don’t have to take Tempest line, and that is how you get overload anyway. And don’t forget if trait into tempest u can reduce it to 15s, so even if you use an overload u have to 2 swaps instead of at least 3.

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

It take what 8s per swap on attunement, if u swap every 8s u have a + of 4s. And you don’t have to take Tempest line, and that is how you get overload anyway. And don’t forget if trait into tempest u can reduce it to 15s, so even if you use an overload u have to 2 swaps instead of at least 3.

If I take 4s in an attunement before swapping AND I take that trait to reduce Overload to 15s(which sucks because Overloads also suck right now) then lets assume we start in Fire and we use the Overload. We swap to Water, spend 4s, swap to Air, spend 4s, swap to Earth spend 4s….then we have to spend another 3s auto-attacking before we can swap back to Fire. We could do a more proper rotation that ends with us in Air, but the fact is that we’ll be stuck for 3s minimum, just auto-attacking with our lack luster options.
Without the Overload CD reduction trait, we’re looking at a whopping 8s of Auto-attacks.

Note that Overloading is pretty much never worth the loss of healing, cleansing, or damage with the amount of risk it currently has. In fact, Overloading in Water is less healing than just doing our standard rotation which also a lot less risky and I can guarantee you that I can kill the Heavy Golem faster than Karl could when he used the Overloads even with D/D.

in Elementalist

Mahuyo.3079

If I take 4s in an attunement before swapping AND I take that trait to reduce Overload to 15s(which sucks because Overloads also suck right now) then lets assume we start in Fire and we use the Overload. We swap to Water, spend 4s, swap to Air, spend 4s, swap to Earth spend 4s….then we have to spend another 3s auto-attacking before we can swap back to Fire. We could do a more proper rotation that ends with us in Air, but the fact is that we’ll be stuck for 3s minimum, just auto-attacking with our lack luster options.
Without the Overload CD reduction trait, we’re looking at a whopping 8s of Auto-attacks.

Note that Overloading is pretty much never worth the loss of healing, cleansing, or damage with the amount of risk it currently has. In fact, Overloading in Water is less healing than just doing our standard rotation which also a lot less risky and I can guarantee you that I can kill the Heavy Golem faster than Karl could when he used the Overloads even with D/D.

I’m not saying that there isn’t a point to what you are saying now yes thing like bubble need to be buffed, and even as d/d ele I spend more time in each attunement then 4s, and u usually do. What i’m basically saying is give the overload a chance, it seems that staff is most viable anyway. The real thing they need to do is work on the traits.

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

I’m not saying that there isn’t a point to what you are saying now yes thing like bubble need to be buffed, and even as d/d ele I spend more time in each attunement then 4s, and u usually do. What i’m basically saying is give the overload a chance, it seems that staff is most viable anyway. The real thing they need to do is work on the traits.

I can’t give it a chance, because all of them are worse than not using them except the Earth one that gives you a Break bar and can allow for an escape, but they seem to cause a loss of damage and healing with a much higher risk and a lack of synergy with our current traits and weapon design.

in Elementalist

Mahuyo.3079

I can’t give it a chance, because all of them are worse than not using them except the Earth one that gives you a Break bar and can allow for an escape, but they seem to cause a loss of damage and healing with a much higher risk and a lack of synergy with our current traits and weapon design.

So basically you want a break bar on all of them

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

I don’t think you understand what makes Overloading bad.

in Elementalist

Mahuyo.3079

I’m not saying it is good, and not saying it is bad. The overloads have good combo protential I think. But I guess people don’t a 20s cd on attunements. I specifically don’t like the traits. I mostlikely would have done the same.

Here is an idea tell me what you would have done? Now be specific, and say what would you have done with the attunements, what kinda traits, everything that you would have done with the Tempest. O bur 1 thing the weapon has to be a warhorn to go with lore.

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

I’m not saying it is good, and not saying it is bad. The overloads have good combo protential I think. But I guess people don’t a 20s cd on attunements. I specifically don’t like the traits. I mostlikely would have done the same.

Here is an idea tell me what you would have done? Now be specific, and say what would you have done with the attunements, what kinda traits, everything that you would have done with the Tempest. O bur 1 thing the weapon has to be a warhorn to go with lore.

By their very nature, they don’t have a lot of combo potential. You have to wait 5s, Updraft, and then start casting Air Overload; you might get a few free hits, but since it hits like a wet noodle, it doesn’t matter.

It’s not just the 20s CD, it’s the waiting period AND on top of that the HUGE cast times. They’re ridiculously overbalanced for what they currently do. They HAVE to either make them obscenely more powerful or remove a lot of these drawbacks, because as is, there’s no reason to use a Tempest over an Elementalist.
The traits don’t help very much either. They’re all over the place(a lot of them seem to belong better in Water), no way to increase damage or lower Shout Cooldowns, and some of them incredibly boring and/or useless.

These are just ideas I had to not only make it more viable, but also more interesting and separate a bit more from base Elementalist; not necessarily what’s best for Tempest:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/Tempest-Warhorn-confirmed-Feedback-merged/page/32#post5321233

in Elementalist

Mahuyo.3079

By their very nature, they don’t have a lot of combo potential. You have to wait 5s, Updraft, and then start casting Air Overload; you might get a few free hits, but since it hits like a wet noodle, it doesn’t matter.

It’s not just the 20s CD, it’s the waiting period AND on top of that the HUGE cast times. They’re ridiculously overbalanced for what they currently do. They HAVE to either make them obscenely more powerful or remove a lot of these drawbacks, because as is, there’s no reason to use a Tempest over an Elementalist.
The traits don’t help very much either. They’re all over the place(a lot of them seem to belong better in Water), no way to increase damage or lower Shout Cooldowns, and some of them incredibly boring and/or useless.

These are just ideas I had to not only make it more viable, but also more interesting and separate a bit more from base Elementalist; not necessarily what’s best for Tempest:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/Tempest-Warhorn-confirmed-Feedback-merged/page/32#post5321233

So u think they finished with the Tempest, when they repeatedly say they were working on it and they said we would get to see it for rework and blance working. That is why you should take the whole Tempest abilities and traits. I would say yea the abilities and skills need to be rework, I was never saying anything otherwise.

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

So u think they finished with the Tempest, when they repeatedly say they were working on it and they said we would get to see it for rework and blance working. That is why you should take the whole Tempest abilities and traits. I would say yea the abilities and skills need to be rework, I was never saying anything otherwise.

Then consider this the feedback. It needs to be fixed. Everyone is going to continue to complain and offer suggestions until we actually see change. I think most people would be happy if Karl at least stopped by to say “Yeah, we’re gonna do some changes on the Tempest” so we know they’re actually reading the forums, even just a little.

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

You have 3 options to make Overloads worth casting:

1. Get rid of the requirement to camp an attunement for 5s to unlock it. If this is the case, then overloads are something that you have to weigh the risk of being interrupted, getting bursted during the long channel, and being locked out of that attunement for a very long time with the benefit of completing the cast to get its affect (damage, healing, CC) RIGHT NOW.

2. Get rid of the penalty for using your overload. If they do this, they could even make the up-front charging more interesting than just a flat 5 seconds, or leave it at 5s.

3. Make overloads mega-OP so that the high risk is balanced out by the reward. If you have to pay a penalty up-front to cast, suffer through a penalty after-casting, all while risking an insanely long channel, you need an effect that is going to basically 1-shot people. Overloading needs to provide you with more damage, healing, boons, and support than at least 1 whole rotation through all attunements – that is an INCREDIBLY high bar to set.

Of the 3 options, 1 and 2 at least have interesting play. Option 3 (with the current double penalty and long cast time) ends up in a power level that allows you to either 1-shot people or is so weak nobody ever uses it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Netko.9271

Netko.9271

Even that wouldn’t help, break bar is weak too. Look here, only one cc from NPC was enough to remove break bar and stun you for 1 sec:
https://youtu.be/HAbrXuZGIts?t=2628

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Some ideas aimed at Overloads:

Traits-
Elemental Bastion = Auras you apply also applies Stability (1 stack for 6sec) plus have additional effects on self only (Frost Aura = take no damage from Burning for its duration; Fire Aura = no effect from Chill and you cannot be blinded; Shocking Aura = move at superspeed while under the effects of swiftness; Magnetic Aura = stability applied to you is increased by +1).

Imbued Melodies = you can cast Warhorn skills while you channel Overload skills.

Singularity Break (replaces Lucid Singularity) = While channeling Overload skills, you are 100% resistant to Chill, Immobilize and Cripple. You have access to Break skills which prematurely end Overload casts.

• Smoke Break: Chokes off Fire Overload, removing all boons from self and Launch nearby foes 380 distance.
  • Ice Break: Shatter Water Overload, applying 10 stacks of vulnerability to self for 15sec and Freeze nearby foes in blocks of ice.
  • Wind Break: Dissipate Air Overload, exhausting all Endurance and Endurance recovery for 8seconds while pulling then knocking down nearby foes.
  • Magnet Break: Interrupts Earth Overload, dazing yourself for 2 seconds while pulling yourself to a target location.

Breaking an Overload puts the overload on 1/2 it’s normal cooldown.

(edited by Leo G.4501)

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

I like the breaks, but the negative effects can go bye. The overload already has enough drawbacks.

in Elementalist

Leo G.4501

I like the breaks, but the negative effects can go bye. The overload already has enough drawbacks.

But you don’t need to worry about the drawbacks of overload since breaks pretty much start instantly (so no charging (just double tap), no interrupt target (unless you get interrupted before you can break it)) and part of the big price for Overloads is cut in half.

I was actually thinking some of the effects for break weren’t severe enough. 10 stacks of vuln is so easily cleansed, if you can get stability then you get a cheap leap on a quick timer, if you simply have very few boons you get a cheap blowout and even if you did have lots of boons you’re an elementalist…the only one that’s not so easily countered is the Wind Break.

Actually thinking the Ice Break should apply 10 stacks of vuln for 10sec then periodically apply 5 more stacks every 3 sec for 15sec. Magnet Break might have to remove all stability before applying the daze. Smoke Break might have to decrease boon duration some for 15sec….

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

You realize very very little skills in the game have severe drawbacks like this yes? There is no need at all for them. Even corruption skills don’t get this severe. You’re overcompensating for how powerful you believe the effect to be and you’re overdoing it.

in Elementalist

Leo G.4501

You realize very very little skills in the game have severe drawbacks like this yes? There is no need at all for them. Even corruption skills don’t get this severe. You’re overcompensating for how powerful you believe the effect to be and you’re overdoing it.

Sure, I’m not discounting you opinion, but I think being able to chain AoE CC skills without needing a specific weapon or utility skill set-up as pretty powerful. And if you combine that CC with your weapon skills’ CC, you could be pretty broken. The idea of the drawbacks is to inhibit or dissuade you from breaking your Overloads all the time.

I also still have faith the devs are looking into the numbers of Overloads. I just hope they don’t buckle down and cheapen the cost of them but instead increase the payoff. Same with these breaks, I don’t want the effects to be too mild but if they are at all decent, they’d be abused.

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

I agree on the chain CC, it’s never fun to be chain CC’d and 1 character shouldn’t be able to completely shut down another with “cheap” mechanics that enforce the “fail” plastyle. I think the some good ideas are:

• Make it so there is no channel. Leave everything as it is now but make it so all the effects the overload currently does is just around the elementalist. This allows you to use all your weapon skills and such as it’s just an effect around you. I’d still tweak some of the numbers and radius here though. Don’t make it instant activation, but give it a 3/4 or 1 second activation time followed by the effect (giving a window for interrupting).
  • Include a pulsing stack of stability on Lucid Singularity (1 every 2 seconds) and up the numbers by a lot to make them worth casting and massively increase the range.
  • Use your break idea, but not have any of those drawbacks. Reduce all the good effects though because you shouldn’t be rewarded for ending them early, but rather for actually completing them. Reduce the attunement lockout so that it’s base 16 seconds without the trait.
  • Give a new buff after a successful Overload- Attuned – All skills used in this attunement for the next 6 seconds are supercharged and are 15% more effective (heals increased, damage increased, CC increased) and have a 15% reduced cooldown . Up all the numbers on Overload, increase the range. Still reduce attunement lockout.

I personally like the first and the last ideas (my favorite solutions) for the overloads.