Meteor shower now affected by retal?

in Elementalist

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

Just noticed while in WvW that meteor shower triggers retaliation now. meaning we cannot use this spell anymore. Died within seconds each time i used it, from retal. Went to EoTM after, and just casting in on the bosses killed me in seconds, as each boss has retal (shrine, bell, all the towers, etc). And since many of the HoT mobs have retal, relatively useless there too.

Did I miss the announcement on this change? Never did this before.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Koviko.3248

Koviko.3248

This has ALWAYS been an issue with Meteor Shower. It’s the main reason why running the extra-damage-over-90%-HP water trait is not typically recommended.

With Tempest, you now have a bit more access to Protection, so you can mitigate the damage a bit more now than you used to.

(edited by Koviko.3248)

in Elementalist

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

I’m not sure about that Koviko. I played WvW extensively (and EoTM) since launch, and I never had an issue like today. Every time i casted meteor shower, I imploded immediately. Tried it in a few zergs, tried it on some tower bosses, same result. Instant implosion with ‘retal’ in the dmg log. Tried it on my 80 ele and my low-level ele (in eotm for that one). Same results.

But I digress, its doing it now, which makes staff ele kinda pointless there now.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

They buffed retal, again without thinking about the squishiest class.

A single meteor shower can drain half your health.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

did they stealth buff reta again for real?

Frenk – EU
All is vain

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

It has always been affected by Retal. I’m not sure if they buffed Retal recently.

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Oh, quit whining. At least your meteors still nuke people for 4k+.

Try being a ranger with laughable 1-1.4k Barrage ticks that trigger even MORE retaliation so you take off maybe 20% of the melee train’s health in exchange for 60-70% of your health.

It’s so obvious you haven’t played greatsword mesmer or ranger if you think retal unfairly targets ele, at least you actually do damage while mesmer in WvW remains a portal/veil bot and rangers are stuck with single target DPS in a zerg format all about AoE.

Retal is the least of ele’s problem. Lack of build diversity and being pigeonholed into celestial because of terrible baseline survivability are far larger problems.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Koviko.3248

Koviko.3248

Try being a ranger with laughable 1-1.4k Barrage ticks that trigger even MORE retaliation so you take off maybe 20% of the melee train’s health in exchange for 60-70% of your health.

It’s so obvious you haven’t played greatsword mesmer or ranger if you think retal unfairly targets ele, at least you actually do damage while mesmer in WvW remains a portal/veil bot and rangers are stuck with single target DPS in a zerg format all about AoE.

Retal is the least of ele’s problem. Lack of build diversity and being pigeonholed into celestial because of terrible baseline survivability are far larger problems.

I don’t think this thread warranted any of this salt.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I think it was with HoT or the trait system update. I get hit for almost 500 dmg retal ticks now.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

I think it was with HoT or the trait system update. I get hit for almost 500 dmg retal ticks now.

Oh, I vaguely remember they make retal scale with power/condi or something like that. Too lazy to verify the source though :P

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

in Elementalist

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

Retal has always proc’d for individual strikes from multi-striking attacks such as Meteors. Retal scales with Power (or Condi if you’re a Guard) so if you throw down a nuke in the middle of a zerg stacked with Retal you’ll end up wrecking yourself in the process.

The only thing I can think of that cause a noticeable change in retal damage (at least at the WvW level) is more builds incorporating Power specifically Condition/Hybrid builds. In other words there’s been more Power in gear as the game has advanced. So something like a Carrion/Sinister player picking up Viper gear would cause retaliation damage to go up.

in Elementalist

Posted by: mist.9807

mist.9807

As a staff-zerk ele who has played WvW extensively pre and post-HoT… retal is not an issue. I’ve personally seen little difference, and yes I’ve used it on massive zergs recently. Yeah, it can take away a good chunk of your health if you’re not careful, but unless you don’t react at all you’re not going to die from it (and even this would only happen if you’re super glassy, which isn’t always the best idea to begin with.)

If you’re having trouble with this try, I don’t know, healing? Positioning yourself in a place where you can still live with 50% HP? I can usually upkeep a good amount of health just by using ether renewal.

Quite frankly if you think that staff ele is pointless due to retal, you probably don’t know the class well enough, let alone how to use it in zerg fights.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jasper Defthand.3018

Jasper Defthand.3018

I main ranger. On longbow you should have plenty of aoe if you have lead the wind equiped, learn to ger proper enfilade on your targets, basicly you just need to get good dude.