Mist Form used to do dmg?

in Elementalist

Posted by: MyGWAccount.7325

MyGWAccount.7325

What happened to the trait, did it disappear or get nerfed?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

It was changed, it now gives you regen on being crit….. Wooohooo…. So much more fun than chilling and applying vuln while mist…. Oh boy thanks Anet…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Oh gosh, so there is where it went!
Another huge mistake to add to the list.

They’ve nerfed mist form so much already.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Colt.9051

Colt.9051

Personally I like the alternative better. I can’t really see having a 75s (60s traited) defensive skill used to inflict a chill and vuln (which can be inflicted rather easily) all that beneficial compared to gaining regen on getting critted every 10s, which helps quite a bit if you have traited with Cleansing Water in regards to condi removals.

Daeaera ~ Leader of Grape Justice! [FGJ]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Columbo.5924

Columbo.5924

I agree with Colt. I never used the old trait because it was simply way too bad and way too situational to be effective. As he pointed out the new trait gives 3 seconds of regeneration (5 seconds with 60% boon duration) when you get a crit and also synergizes with cleansing water. There are also a lot of better traits to be had, even at adept level.

Abaddon’s Mouth (DE)

in Elementalist

Posted by: ghettogenius.9174

ghettogenius.9174

This has been discussed at length, but my opinion is that any trait which is contingent upon being hit (crit no less) is counter productive. The regen over time in no way makes up for the damage taken during a crit.

Which leaves us with the main reason people took Soothing Wave before: coupled with cleansing water and slotting Sig of Water and Mist Form you had 2 extra on demand condition cleanses. It’s arguable that you may get more cleanses with the new trait (in pvp/wvw at least) … but oooh dat damage lol.

in Elementalist

Posted by: P Fun Daddy.1208

P Fun Daddy.1208

^this, sort of. It is sort of silly to have a skill that not only requires you to take hits, which you can take about 5 of normally, but actually requires you to take crits in a game where you are commonly taken down in 2-3 of them.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gokil.2543

Gokil.2543

I find it a good counter to the on-crit condition application traits. Mainly engi burning, since it will cleanse that faster than you ever could, without even having to go into water.

Honestly, the old trait was completely and utterly useless, outclassed by so many others in its tier. It even messed you up often, breaking your stealth from a refuge when in downed state and vapor forming to get out of the aoe.

On the topic of being able to not take any crits ever, why would you even be in the water tree if you could have 100 more power z0mg. This trait was never meant for you to go and stand in a warrior’s hundred blades to get some measly regen, but rather to help you fight mainly condition classes.

[Walk] Elemelentalist
Youtube

(edited by Gokil.2543)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

^Just look at it this way: You’ll eat some crits no matter if you have the trait or not. If you do have it, you’ll also get some regeneration and cleanse a condition (with the grandmaster trait).

This also makes Rabid condition builds much less fearsome, as they’ll help you cleansing the conditions they throw at you.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

This trait is undeniably worthless, and the one it replaced was amazing and potentially the crux of several PvE builds.

Way to go ANet, we started with no defensive stats, you took away our defensive utilities, nerfed our healing to half that of the the most tanky classes in the game, and now we don’t even get to have any traits.

What on earth do you want with this class?

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Elementalist

Gokil.2543

This traits is undeniably worthless, and the one it replaced was amazing and potentially the crux of a dozen PvE builds. Way to go ANet.

Show me this magnificent pve build of yours…

[Walk] Elemelentalist
Youtube

(edited by Gokil.2543)

in Elementalist

Conncept.7638

This traits is undeniably worthless, and the one it replaced was amazing and potentially the crux of a dozen PvE builds. Way to go ANet.

Show me this magnificent pve build of yours…

I said nothing about a magnificent build, quit sarcastically putting words in peoples mouths and act like a decent human being instead of an elitist. I said ‘a’ build and nothing more, but still better than yet another appendage to the existing bunker build that replaced it.

The old burning fire and cleansing wave, combined with conjurer. You could slot double daggers or a scepter. Slot lava axe and frost bow, signet of restoration and either signet of fire or water. Elite didn’t matter too much so you could take FGS (for the extra damage and burning) or Greater Elemental (for the extra water field and frost). From there you could go a little more in to fire for better damage and fires embrace, water for better healing (and any number of the excellent water traits), or arcane for better boon duration. The build allowed for a lot of variation, but the one constant was those two fire and water traits.

This build against a single target or a group was one-hunded percent uptime on 12 stack of vulnerability (without condition duration), 21 stacks of might (without boon duration), and near constant chill. It did solid damage, which amped significantly with vulnerability and might. It had good healing and movement as well, no problems kiting or avoiding damage. I took this thing through nearly every dungeon, solo’d a ton open world content and it was a good build; we need more traits like the old burning fire and cleansing wave, not less.

in Elementalist

Gokil.2543

I’m sorry if you expected me to give you a genuinely interested reply on a rage-filled post.

Would you deny the current trait is being used at least ten times more than the old one? Are you just looking for a place to flame about the state of the game, or do you genuinely believe the new trait is worse than the old one.

Where in the build you described does http://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Soothing_Wave&oldid=466306 act as the crux of that build?

[Walk] Elemelentalist
Youtube

(edited by Gokil.2543)

in Elementalist

Conncept.7638

I’m sorry if you expected me to give you a genuinely interested reply on a rage-filled post.

Would you deny the current trait is being used at least ten times more than the old one? Are you just looking for a place to flame about the state of the game, or do you genuinely believe the new trait is worse than the old one.

Where in the build you described does http://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Soothing_Wave&oldid=466306 act as the crux of that build?

Rage-filled post? Laughable. The first paragraph addresses your poor conduct, at least have the guts to live up to it if you won’t correct it. Cynicism adds nothing to any conversation and that is all your post was.

And not only are you obviously incapable of addressing what I stated, you didn’t even have what it takes to read it sufficiently. The remainder of the post describes the build, in which I state that I use Frost Bow and Signet of Water, and depend greatly on boons and conditions for both damage and defense, like the ones that frost bow and signet of water would then grant. And yes, you could choose to swap out lava axe for mist form, which pardon me I did fail to mention, but that was because I switched that out after lava axe was buffed because the vulnerability it gave was less useful than the might the lava axe gave.

And frankly with amount of variation this trait allowed for, I was going to miss something, which is the bloody point!

You could also use this trait for a strait conjure build, a signet build, a cantrip build, or a build having nothing to do with any single group of skills, as an addendum to one single ability on your bar. And it would have a useful tactile affect on your play. This trait allowed for build diversity and added to active play, things the elementalist has had little to none of since launch. There need to be more traits like this, not less. And yes, I would say without a doubt that the less people are using this new trait than the old skill, or at the very least the same measly amount between all the fresh-air and arcane/water bunkers.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kamui.3150

Kamui.3150

One thing people seem to be forgetting with the new Soothing Wave, is that in PvE you will NEVER get hit by a critical hit. Monsters don’t have that ability, so that is a trait which flat out worthless in PvE content, and only mildly viable in PvP and WvW. And frankly, having yourself get 3 secs of Regen when you get critted, which likely means “You’re about to die horribly” doesn’t help. Not to mention the ten sec CD means that you’ll likely get it once or twice per encounter, whoop de do. If it were to provide you with Vigor and/or Protection as well (3 secs of each) on the same CD timer, then MAYBE it would be worthwhile. But as it is, it’s a silly trait, only moderately useful if you combo it with the GM Water trait. Except that all traits should be viable on their own, not require a GM trait to be usable.