Mitigating against retaliation

in Elementalist

Posted by: florence.1674

florence.1674

Just would like to throw this question out there.

To all of your staff eles who play in WvW, how do you mitigate against retaliation? In particular, a blob who constantly stacks retaliation.

A simple meteor shower on a retaliation stacked blob is enough to send me running for heals and ice storm from an ice bow will usually down me. It’s boring always having to run the usual water/arcane stacked builds, but are there any other options?

WvW law #1: nobody in WvW can count.

in Elementalist

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

it’s condi damage, so you can’t negate it. either wait for them to be boonstripped or out of retal or pop your ether renewal as counter heal. not much more you can do.

AyaĆ­lla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

it’s condi damage, so you can’t negate it. either wait for them to be boonstripped or out of retal or pop your ether renewal as counter heal. not much more you can do.

You’re correct in saying that it can’t be negated, but it’s not condition damage. It’s Power based. It just doesn’t take armor into account like most power based skills.

To the OP: How about doing something else like throw out some CC (with damage that won’t get you killed) until the retal either wears off or is stripped.

in Elementalist

Posted by: OMGimAnoobLOLOL.4730

OMGimAnoobLOLOL.4730

I’ve also recently been coming across this concern since a certain guild that transfered to NA server runs an 60+ retal blob. Once I almost got 100->0’d from simply throwing out a Static with Lightning Rod trait >_>.

I tried being more careful about the Meteors, when I disrupt the stacks I often had to rotate quickly to water and use Water1 on my feet to sustain the retal. I definitely recommend running 00266 against it for the hp padding and sustain advantages. No Lightning Rod means you don’t get punished for doing your job (controlling) and you can rotate Meteor disruptions into Water3->Water1 spam filler/dodge ->Water5->Earth2+dodge and still having 3,4,5 open to continue doing your job (controlling zergs) without dying.

This is how I’ve had to react to this situation. Good luck out there.

(edited by OMGimAnoobLOLOL.4730)

in Elementalist

Posted by: florence.1674

florence.1674

I’ve been trying a few different tactics to try and prevent the retaliation blob from killing me, but every method seems to be more about cutting down your efficiency.

However, how do other professions seem to not really bother about retaliation? I tried a guardian with a 1-to-the-death staff and I never even seem bothered by retaliation.

WvW law #1: nobody in WvW can count.

in Elementalist

Posted by: OMGimAnoobLOLOL.4730

OMGimAnoobLOLOL.4730

Things that have a lot of multi hits get beat up by it = Meteor, Lightning Storm, Icebow, Grenade, Flamethrower, Pistol Whip/Blurred/Flurry and probably Well bombs. The AoE caps on most stuff (like Guard Staff1 spam) prevents Retal from blowing everyone up.

in Elementalist

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

sigil of restoration will help alot.

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I’ve been trying a few different tactics to try and prevent the retaliation blob from killing me, but every method seems to be more about cutting down your efficiency.

However, how do other professions seem to not really bother about retaliation? I tried a guardian with a 1-to-the-death staff and I never even seem bothered by retaliation.

Try a grenade engi, you almost get instagibbed when so much retal is up.