Need a WvW zerg build!

Need a WvW zerg build!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zariuss.2357

Zariuss.2357

I have tried to make builds but I just can decide… Im not even sure if I want DD or staff, but leaning more towards DD. So I would love to get some up to date good WvW builds that has been tested! For both staff and DD please.

Need a WvW zerg build!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

D/D is a frontline type weapon so you should spec tanky something like 0-0-30-30-10, 0-0-20-30-20, or 0-10-0-30-30. Any water/arcane/earth build will work for a D/D frontline. Support staff build were you are stay on the command will use the same builds are a frontline D/D. Back line staff should not be getting hit much so you should spec more for dps than defense something like 0-30-0-20-20 or 30-0-0-20-20.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

Need a WvW zerg build!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Retsuko.2035

Retsuko.2035

As a staff ele, you will never want to ignore your defense. If you think you can always stay in the “back” you have it very wrong. If you’ve ran in wvw with zergs (small or big) before you know it’s important to hug your commander in order to benefit from the water fields he asks for that gets blasted on him (water fields also you should help provide as staff ele). Of course it’s a matter of knowing how to position yourself, and knowing where to be in any situation.

I’m currently comfortable with:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEEQFAWhEmKbyR4QlDAkHvcCLjChUeMzO2A-jkCBoiBh+AgIAJ5rIaslhFRjVVTpWbDTFLQmzDRzgO1SB0vwI-w

d/d is fun, and a good weapon set. But the limit you put on yourself is your range. With staff you can do stuff at any range which is great. Of course both weapon sets have it’s up and downs. Staff is in general more wanted in zerg fights because of it’s supportive type of skills.

Retsu ~ Inner Monkey [IM] ~ Piken Square

(edited by Retsuko.2035)

Need a WvW zerg build!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

As a staff ele, you will never want to ignore your defense. If you think you can always stay in the “back” you have it very wrong. If you’ve ran in wvw with zergs (small or big) before you know it’s important to hug your commander in order to benefit from the water fields he asks for that gets blasted on him (water fields also you should help provide as staff ele). Of course it’s a matter of knowing how to position yourself, and knowing where to be in any situation.

Staff has 1200 rng, while it is important to be close to your commander you do not have to always be stacked on him. Far enough away to avoid the hammer train and most AE field but close enough to stack for water fields. It is hard to use meteor shower when the commander is always moving. A backline staff build should orbit the commander which enables enough time to set-up for meteor showers. Your frontline should be inbetween you and the enemy in open field fights. Support staff builds stack on the command instead of orbiting them like a backline build. That was why support staff builds use the same specs as a frontline buld.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

(edited by Ulion.5476)

Need a WvW zerg build!

in Elementalist

Posted by: XcmGT.3847

XcmGT.3847

Go staff and use 0/10/0/30/30 while in a Zerg and when doing havoc you can swap to d/d. However, as an ele in a Zerg fight never stay on the pin or you will die! Run around the outside stomping and AOEing the enemy blob. Usually a commander will say in TS to drop water fields on them or to focus AOE on them. Just remember to avoid the enemy melee mob or you will die very fast…

Need a WvW zerg build!

in Elementalist

Zariuss.2357

Thanks for all the help! But shouldnt you take “area attacks with staff are larger” when youre running staff? Also is there a cheaper option than traveler/divinity runes? THey are way to expensive imo.

Need a WvW zerg build!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Pwnzor.5682

Pwnzor.5682

Need a WvW zerg build!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Geezer.4180

Geezer.4180

Here is a link to a great staff build with detailed description on how to play it:

http://intothemists.com/guides/1514-staff_bunker_cleric_nuker

Need a WvW zerg build!

in Elementalist

Zariuss.2357

Very nice, I liked that one. Think ill be running that! Although i dont understand how lightening flash is better than earth armor for stab.

(edited by Zariuss.2357)

Need a WvW zerg build!

in Elementalist

Posted by: XcmGT.3847

XcmGT.3847

Thanks for all the help! But shouldnt you take “area attacks with staff are larger” when youre running staff? Also is there a cheaper option than traveler/divinity runes? THey are way to expensive imo.

You can use scholar runes since in large zerg fights you shouldn’t be taking a lot of damage, I usually just get hit by retaliation unless I get focused or the zerg wipes…

Need a WvW zerg build!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bhima.9518

Bhima.9518

Build a balance build that tilts a little towards damage and use a staff (though D/D aura share is VERY good too). 0/0/20/20/30 or 0/0/20/30/20 will be optimal for large group play. 20 in Earth is key for Rock Solid. Gear should be a mix of soldiers, knights, cav and zerker to get over 1600 tough, over 16k hp and decent crit + crit dmg. Run ER for heal, Arcane wave and 2 cantrips of your choice (or 3 cantrips). I like boon duration runes just because it increases the stability on Rock Solid… let alone all the other boons.

Need a WvW zerg build!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

Build a balance build that tilts a little towards damage and use a staff (though D/D aura share is VERY good too). 0/0/20/20/30 or 0/0/20/30/20 will be optimal for large group play. 20 in Earth is key for Rock Solid. Gear should be a mix of soldiers, knights, cav and zerker to get over 1600 tough, over 16k hp and decent crit + crit dmg. Run ER for heal, Arcane wave and 2 cantrips of your choice (or 3 cantrips). I like boon duration runes just because it increases the stability on Rock Solid… let alone all the other boons.

You know…I knew I liked [GLOB], I just couldn’t put my finger on why…

Here is my large group fight Support build. I also use the boon duration runes and I switch sigils to gain endurance on kill when my traits are 0/0/20/20/30.

DH Yak’s Bend – Perfect Dark [PD]
Dr Hoppenheimer – Engi / Meowzir – Guard /
Mulcibur Nox – Ele / Mr Directed – Mes

Need a WvW zerg build!

in Elementalist

Posted by: ImProVocateur.5189

ImProVocateur.5189

Zariuss.2357,
Arcana > Blasting Staff is usually used for combo finishers in WvW. There are a couple downsides. Meteor Shower spreads the same number of meteors over a larger circle without an increase in the splash damage radius for each meteor. Static Field becomes so large that the enemy can avoid the stun effect. Although players within the field are sitting ducks for aoe, they are also in a perfect position to spam their own combos, coming out of the static field buffed and healed. Those two downsides are huge in WvW. The psychological downside to the trait is that it is part of the Buff Bot build. Are you a buff bot?