Need some advice from you experienced eles!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

I’ve made a fresh ele for playing wvw/pve. But I’m juggling about what I should do about builds since I’m trying to keep at least two exotic sets I can switch between.

Currently I’m building towards a wvw/pve staff ele with a life on kill sigil for added support.

The other three are a bit harder to figure out…
I have two dagger builds:
fire/air+might/fury dual dagger
air/earth dual dagger

The first DD has more damage factoring crit/100%critdmg but pretty sunk in survivability. The second DD bans conditions and has a little backing from conditdmg. It also gains a little bit more in healing but I could also switch bloodlust sigl for life.

The last build is a scepter/dagger ele. Tbh, I don’t know the state of conditions for ele atm and I don’t even really know if I should use dagger or focus in the offhand.

TL:DR
The first three are for doing so much insane damage that enemies will melt or run away. The last is cause I wanted to try something with “bursty conditions.”

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Devona’s Rest

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

My first advice would be to consider Sigil of Battle for your weapons. Attunement swap counts as a weapon swap too, and you’ll be swapping a lot. This means that you’ll get at least 6 stacks of might from just your sigil, which is a lot of damage.

I would lose the ‘burning on crits’ trait. You’ve got a few good sources of burning already, and if you’re playing in a group, just your fire field will cause perma burning on most mobs. Otherwise it looks solid to me.

air/earth dual dagger
It feels a bit like you’re unsure which skills you want to use. I’d recommend either picking signets or arcane skills, instead of a mix of both. Geomancer’s Freedom feels a bit redundant if you also have Diamond Skin. You could either get Stone Splinters, Rock Solid or Elemental Shield. Also, instead of Soothing Winds, consider Zephyr’s Boon. It would greatly increase your mobility and damage.

wvw/pve staff ele
Signet of Air is unneccesary. You have Windvorne Speed and Glyph of Elemental Harmony to get perma swiftness, and they don’t stack with the signet. Given that it’s a WvW/PvE build, I’m assuming you’re not gonna be on the front lines. This means you can swap Renewing Stamina for Elemental Attunement for even more swiftness, and a protection boon. If cast Meteor Shower, swap to earth during the cast to get fury (from Arcane Fury for extra damage) and protection (useful against retaliation damage you’ll likely get in WvW). The signet reduction trait is also a bit overkill in this build, as is Soothing Winds. Healing power becomes useful when you have multiple heals, but you have neither water magic traits nor Evasive Arcana, so it won’t do as much for you.

These are just a few things to consider. I hope you find them helpful. As for your condition build, I’m not quite sure what to make of it. It seems a bit…randomly thrown together. Maybe if you explained it a bit more, I could help you with whatever you’re trying to achieve with it.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

(edited by ThiBash.5634)

in Elementalist

blakdoxa.7520

My first advice would be to consider Sigil of Battle for your weapons. Attunement swap counts as a weapon swap too, and you’ll be swapping a lot. This means that you’ll get at least 6 stacks of might from just your sigil, which is a lot of damage.

I would lose the ‘burning on crits’ trait. You’ve got a few good sources of burning already, and if you’re playing in a group, just your fire field will cause perma burning on most mobs. Otherwise it looks solid to me.

air/earth dual dagger
It feels a bit like you’re unsure which skills you want to use. I’d recommend either picking signets or arcane skills, instead of a mix of both. Geomancer’s Freedom feels a bit redundant if you also have Diamond Skin. You could either get Stone Splinters, Rock Solid or Elemental Shield. Also, instead of Soothing Winds, consider Zephyr’s Boon. It would greatly increase your mobility and damage.

wvw/pve staff ele
Signet of Air is unneccesary. You have Windvorne Speed and Glyph of Elemental Harmony to get perma swiftness, and they don’t stack with the signet. Given that it’s a WvW/PvE build, I’m assuming you’re not gonna be on the front lines. This means you can swap Renewing Stamina for Elemental Attunement for even more swiftness, and a protection boon. If cast Meteor Shower, swap to earth during the cast to get fury (from Arcane Fury for extra damage) and protection (useful against retaliation damage you’ll likely get in WvW). The signet reduction trait is also a bit overkill in this build, as is Soothing Winds. Healing power becomes useful when you have multiple heals, but you have neither water magic traits nor Evasive Arcana, so it won’t do as much for you.

These are just a few things to consider. I hope you find them helpful. As for your condition build, I’m not quite sure what to make of it. It seems a bit…randomly thrown together. Maybe if you explained it a bit more, I could help you with whatever you’re trying to achieve with it.

Thanks for your advice man!
On the fire/air+might/fury dual dagger I changed Burning Precision to Spellslinger.

I revised air/earth DD and switched to signets and lightning flash to land Churning Earth. I kept Soothing Winds cause I just feel I need the healing for that build to keep above 90% health.

For the wvw staff build I dumped the healing stat, changed some of the traits, took up glyphs and sigl of battle.

I can’t wait to try these out! Seems like they’ll deal lots of damage and have somewhat decent survivability.

Devona’s Rest

in Elementalist

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Ok, here is one very important thing you should know about Tempest Defense (Air Magic XI):

It does not – I repeat, DOES NOT – apply to launch. It only applies to knockdown and stun.

What this means is that abilities like updraft and tornado will not result in an extra 20% damage against the enemy while they are CC’ed. The only two abilities that will proc the extra damage on this build are shocking aura and earthquake (as well as the extra shocking aura from tempest defense itself).

As such, if your plan was to use a combo such as updraft -> burning speed -> fire grab, the extra 20% damage from tempest defense DOES NOT apply. This is because the enemy was launched and not knocked down.

Additionally, I believe the same will apply to tornado, although I haven’t tested it specifically. That is, you won’t inflict 20% extra damage from tempest defense on any enemy that is launched by the tornado.

This seemed like a weird thing to me, but I tested and retested it against some moas in a WvW borderland. The updraft combo listed above always did roughly the same amount of damage with or without tempest defense, but a combo using earthquake (i.e. earthquake -> fire grab, even though this is suboptimal) had significant changes in damage depending on tempest defense being selected or not.

The stun from shocking aura is quite short and relies on your enemy hitting you, so I’m never really sure what to follow with, unless maybe you get the extra shocking aura from tempest defense to proc while you’re not in air attunement and swap to air to get the lightning strike. I guess you could always just follow up with arcane wave to boost it’s damage by 20%.

As for your actual build, I’m not really an ele expert so I don’t have many suggestions. However, I feel that the zealot’s gear might not be worth it. 400ish healing power won’t make a ton of difference, and you could instead be spending that on additional crit damage for even greater burst output and sustained DPS (an extra 14% to be precise).

in Elementalist

blakdoxa.7520

Ok, here is one very important thing you should know about Tempest Defense (Air Magic XI):

It does not – I repeat, DOES NOT – apply to launch. It only applies to knockdown and stun.

What this means is that abilities like updraft and tornado will not result in an extra 20% damage against the enemy while they are CC’ed. The only two abilities that will proc the extra damage on this build are shocking aura and earthquake (as well as the extra shocking aura from tempest defense itself).

As such, if your plan was to use a combo such as updraft -> burning speed -> fire grab, the extra 20% damage from tempest defense DOES NOT apply. This is because the enemy was launched and not knocked down.

Additionally, I believe the same will apply to tornado, although I haven’t tested it specifically. That is, you won’t inflict 20% extra damage from tempest defense on any enemy that is launched by the tornado.

This seemed like a weird thing to me, but I tested and retested it against some moas in a WvW borderland. The updraft combo listed above always did roughly the same amount of damage with or without tempest defense, but a combo using earthquake (i.e. earthquake -> fire grab, even though this is suboptimal) had significant changes in damage depending on tempest defense being selected or not.

The stun from shocking aura is quite short and relies on your enemy hitting you, so I’m never really sure what to follow with, unless maybe you get the extra shocking aura from tempest defense to proc while you’re not in air attunement and swap to air to get the lightning strike. I guess you could always just follow up with arcane wave to boost it’s damage by 20%.

As for your actual build, I’m not really an ele expert so I don’t have many suggestions. However, I feel that the zealot’s gear might not be worth it. 400ish healing power won’t make a ton of difference, and you could instead be spending that on additional crit damage for even greater burst output and sustained DPS (an extra 14% to be precise).

Yeah I get what you’re saying about the healing being all or nothing. Kinda sucks how the stat works and scales. In fact I could change all the zealots to knights at the lost of 81 power and switch Soothing Winds with Zephyr’s Boon. I put healing power in the first place cause I wasn’t confident I’d keep about 90% health with no healing power.

Devona’s Rest

in Elementalist

Posted by: Duran.3196

Duran.3196

I have to say I dont like Fresh Air, tried it out, but the attunement recharge solely on air is not justifying for a 30 point trait in my eyes.

#ELEtism

in Elementalist

blakdoxa.7520

I have to say I dont like Fresh Air, tried it out, but the attunement recharge solely on air is not justifying for a 30 point trait in my eyes.

I think Fresh Air could work well with One with Air and Aeromancer’s Alacrity. In fact I might switch out Bolt to the Heart for AA. But on DD I personally don’t see it making much a difference.

Devona’s Rest

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

I think Fresh Air could work well with One with Air and Aeromancer’s Alacrity. In fact I might switch out Bolt to the Heart for AA. But on DD I personally don’t see it making much a difference.

The main thing would be the free extra lightning bolts every 5 seconds instead of 10. Which are 900 range, something D/D might be able to use. It works better on scepter though, because that has low recharge skills to combine it with.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

Putting 20 into arcana gives you some nice boon play with it though, plus constant fury once a fight is on without having to worry about landing blast finishers on fire fields.
It’s more about rolling through various attunements back and forth constantly for the handful of ~15sec or less attacks and stringing them together with Air’s strong AA and lightning strike.

The main thing would be the free extra lightning bolts every 5 seconds instead of 10. Which are 900 range, something D/D might be able to use. It works better on scepter though, because that has low recharge skills to combine it with.

I would consider switching to scepter for it but I like lightning whips cleave too much.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

in Elementalist

blakdoxa.7520

Thanks for all your guys help!
I made further tweaks to the builds and they should come out alright.

Devona’s Rest