New player maining Elementalist! need few q/a

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jay.3409

Jay.3409

Q:

Im lvl 27, i did like staff as i level but, i heard that d/d is better..

- Rotations for D/D, ex. Earth > Fire > Air > Water.
- Current state of Elemen this patch and future? ( how well they do in pvp,pve,etc)
- Tips and tricks a D/D should know?
- Good youtube videos for d/d.. guides,montages, tips tricks..

- Lastly gearing up.. when should i invest for gears and what type of money is it? karma,gold,etc

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

Title said “need few q/a”
I am confused :/

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

in Elementalist

Jay.3409

? this is a q/a thread … i stated above my question

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zention.1849

Zention.1849

Hey,

Well it depends. I would use the weapon you’re must confident with.

Still, I personally wouldn’t play staff for leveling. The staff requires ’ I’d say ’ to know the rotations. If you’re running around a lot, most of the staff’s skills won’t hit your foe – resulting in an enormous damage loss.
Also most of damage is dealt when attuned to fire (on staff) keep that in mind – switching attunements frequently will also result in a damage loss.
Staff only has (1 or 2 blast finishers I blast a fire field for Might – increase you’re overall damage and condition damage output I)

D/D shines a lot more when roaming. D/D has 3 or 4 blast finishers. Also D/D doesn’t necessarily require to stay in one attunement. You can change attunements as often as you like. Although air will deal most of the damage when using D/D.

Note: There are like tons of other viable options here. Just not willing to write all of them.. hehe >:D

Well the current meta. Ele’s are great. They are fun to play. But not easy to play. Also I would never just use one weapon.
You should at least have a set of all weapons you can use and change as the situation requires.

How well the ele is solely depends on the player sitting behind the keyboard. they can do great or can really suck.

I would recommend watching DEKeyz2Chaos videos. There are some great guides on her page and here in the forum.

I would wait until you hi 80. Then you should invest in better gear. The easiest way is just to “buy” it". Using the trading post.
Just save your gold from now on.

Builds

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto

(edited by Zention.1849)

in Elementalist

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

Hi Jay,

about your questions :
– D/D is a PvP and a roaming spec in WvW. You can use it in open PvE of course, but it is not considered a meta spec in instanced content. Since it is a PvP spec there is no “optimal” rotation. What you should try to do is to make sure you use your blasts skills in your fire fields to stack might.

- The elementalists have been/is/will probably be in a good state in PvE and WvW where they hold a pivotal role, thanks to the multiple combo fields they bring. We have a balance patch coming our way that will nerf some hybrid PvP ele builds. We’ll see how well the ele will do in PvP after this patch.

- YouTube videos ? Visit metabattle.com, there are some video guides here that are well made. Guides in this forum are also very useful, though very “dungeon oriented”.

- Gearing up : Complicated topic:

Rule #1 : don’t blow up you money on gear as long as you are not level 80. It’s not worth it.

Rule #2 : don’t blow up your money on leveling crafting ASAP, crafting is a way to acquire good gear but it’s not the only one.

Rule #3 : Once you are level 80, check your wallet. If you have tons of honor badges/karma/dungeon tokens etc… it might be a good idea to check out what you can purchase with them. Keep in mind that karma and WvW Equipment can neither be recycled nor sold, so be careful with your purchases! Trading post is also a good solution if you have enough gold.

Rule #4 : About ascended equipment : Try to get an amulet and some rings with the laurels quickly. They’re not that expensive and provide substancial benefits. Ascended weapons are useful but very expensive. Ascended armour is a luxury that you don’t really need. Try to get a complete set of exotic armour and accessories, they are largely enough to do 90% of the game’s content.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

1) D/D is for PvP and WvW roaming. You can use it elsewhere but it won’t be the best option.
2) Rotation for D/D in PvP? In gw2 meta battle there is a video at the bottom to show it.
3) Right now Ele are probably the profession in the best state. Its number 1 in PvE dungeons and its view as one of the two best profession in sPvP. Its also part of the meta composition in WvW. With the path on january 29th, Ele will be nerf a bit in sPvP. What will be their state at this points is not clear. Some ppl freak out and think that ele will be bad now, I’m not that dramatic and I think it will bring Ele more in line with other professions.
4) It depend if you think you gonna use it in PvE or PvP
5) Google is your friend, but start with gw2 meta battle. It give you a basic idea of build and some have video in them.
6) You gonna need to specify what you want to gear up to. PvE casual? PvE dungeon running? WvW zerging? WvW roaming?

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Elementalist

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Im lvl 27, i did like staff as i level but, i heard that d/d is better..

- Rotations for D/D, ex. Earth > Fire > Air > Water.
For pve staff works too. Fire gives most dmg. For D/D its air-1 that gives most damage. In pve that is all you need to know. + the blast finisher rotations (fire-fields and blast ’m in earth and water.)

- Current state of Elemen this patch and future? ( how well they do in pvp,pve,etc)
pvp-decent, pve… sometimes really strong but also very squishy in dungeons. WvW. I just like it since its a jack of all trades.

- Tips and tricks a D/D should know?
use blast finishers, time your dodges and know thy enemy. If you know what your enemy can and will do its easier to dodge them.

- Good youtube videos for d/d.. guides,montages, tips tricks..
02066 or 00266 with evasive arcana and such. Though I still switch to staff zerker from time to time. I think most weaponsets for elementalist are quite balanced at the moment.

- Lastly gearing up.. when should i invest for gears and what type of money is it? karma,gold,etc
Only gear up once you reach lvl 80. Only then does it really matter what you do.
I did it in a three step phasing thing.
1st Clerics to learn and get used to all weapon sets and safely complete world completion.
2nd Soldiers for the WvW part of exploration and getting used to dungeonruns.
3rd Zerker for dungeon speed runs.

Then at the end you’ll have 3 full exotic armor sets. Remember that you want to take your time with having fun. No need to rush.

in Elementalist

Jay.3409

thanks guys! lastly what are these terms might, blast finishers? also when should i use blast finishers..

in Elementalist

Jay.3409

btw any good twitch element active ?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

thanks guys! lastly what are these terms might, blast finishers? also when should i use blast finishers..

Oh that’s some basic knowledge about the game.

Might is a boon. It give you 35 power for each might and you can have 25 might on you for a total 875 power (they will nerf it a bit on january 29th to 30 power per might). Its a powerful boon in PvP and PvE.

In the game you have combos. You have finisher and field. Different finisher into different field will give different effect. Check the wiki for a complete list. One of the most popular is a Blast finisher into a fire field that give might. That’s one BIG important tactic for an Elementalist. Entire build are created around that in both PvE and PvP. In PvP D/D elementalist you use a mix of blast finisher and sigil of battle (you can swap element faster than other profession can swap weapons) to keep between 15-20 stack of might constantly while fighting. That big boost in dmg allow you to use celestial stats while still doing good dmg because your low power is compensate by the might.

When to use blast finisher depend on where you play. As a D/D elementalist you have rotation that constantly blast might over time during the fight to keep your might high all the time. In PvE, you want to blast between burst or before fight.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD