No 50% reduced fall damage trait?

in Elementalist

Posted by: D Zid.2179

D Zid.2179

Did a few searches though i wasn’t getting any reults on this topic, hence this thread :p

Started playing an elementalist recently (loving the class so far!) though i couldn’t help but notice they seem to lack a trait that all other classes seem to have (unless i’m mistaken).
What appears to be missing is a 50% reduced fall damage trait, i was curious, why is this? do ele’s have something else that we can use to survive long falls, for example in jumping puzzles etc, that make up for it?

in Elementalist

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

Nope, and dmg-reduction or invulnerability skills don’t work with falling damage, aka Armor of Earth, Mist Form or Obsidian Flesh won’t save you from falling.

in Elementalist

Posted by: D Zid.2179

D Zid.2179

Nope, and dmg-reduction or invulnerability skills don’t work with falling damage, aka Armor of Earth, Mist Form or Obsidian Flesh won’t save you from falling.

Just noticed Mist Form and figured that would do the job if timed right, though if that doesnt stop fall damage despite stating the word ‘invulnerable’ then thats not just misleading, but also means we dont have anything at all to make up for the lack of the trait..

Well that kinda sucks!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Drake Brimstone.3706

Drake Brimstone.3706

Untill recently, I didn’t even know any classes got a reduce falling damge ability, then I found out everyone except elementalists get one.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Qori.9671

Qori.9671

LOL so much for being masters of air

in Elementalist

Posted by: Poplik.8697

Poplik.8697

at least you get to be master of earth when you splat down >.<

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

Gives that Sylvari shout “I am rock and soil” a whole new meaning, eh?

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rain King.5914

Rain King.5914

I’ve been trying to bring attention to this since beta.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

Seen plenty comment on this problem in other threads, yet to see any official reply.
Major pain in MK this was.
Did my first dungeon (CoF 1&2). One of those saw someone fall from what looked like a small height, carried on running with barely any hp missing.
I plummeted & died.

:$

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Antiriad.7160

Antiriad.7160

Welcome to excellent game design party~ wheee

Colin ‘The Liar’ Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on equal power base.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: boozer.7815

boozer.7815

OP, you have got to be trolling with this post.

Who gives a crap about fall damage reduction? If you fall too far, you die! That’s life in the big bad world of GW2 for the Ele!!!1111!!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zorik.2150

Zorik.2150

I actually had to argue with a guardian the other day who insisted we had a fall damage trait. Its not a huge deal, but I’m pretty sure we are the only class without one, which is a bit odd.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leashe.6472

Leashe.6472

Fall damage and I are inseparable. I will admit, I don’t think I am in a healthy relationship.

Though it would be cool as a Charr if you took less fall damage (could be called 9 lives, or lands on their feet) but then all the other classes would need perks like that as well.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raap.9065

Raap.9065

The fall damage traits are such big must-haves for a large part of the game they are essentially considered mandatory traits. Try traveling PvE or WvW zones without it, it is a pain in the behind (as any Elementalist should know too well).

I too, did not know all other proffesions had a trait for this besides Elementalists, until I rolled a Thief and found out. Surprised by the lack of balance at first, I became too used to having a fall damage trait, to the point where I’m having a hard time playing without it. Many others would agree.

I actually think this is the only real must-have trait that 7 out of 8 proffesions have, effectively taking up a major trait slot, and if your build doesn’t involve putting points into the line that offers the fall damage trait, you’re kind of forced to change your build so it does, or, like the Elementalist, are forced to take the long way around for just about every location in the game.

So, rather than giving the Elementalist a trait for this aswell, I believe the best solution is to instead make the 50% reduction a base for all proffesions, while still leaving the traits for their secondary fall damage effects. This will make them optional, like all other traits are, and ofcourse Elementalists will feel less forgotten.

Swift Mending – Guardian
Thorny Scrub – Thief
Desolation

(edited by Raap.9065)

in Elementalist

Rain King.5914

I’m going to try to keep this thread alive this time: there is no way that Anet hasn’t realized this by now but we haven’t even gotten an acknowledgement that they will address the issue at some point in the future. My elementalist in GW1, Rain King, was my main character, but in GW2 he’s going to sit on the backburner until we get a serious pass at our traits.

Fall damage reduction is incredibly useful for jumping puzzles and WvW. I even use it for general PvE. It’s usually not very useful in dungeons, but during the MK halloween dungeon I played with some people that told me they felt they never needed a fall damage reduction trait. I felt it was ironic that they had just fallen to their death while I survived thanks to “death from above.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ocard.8039

Ocard.8039

Elementalist has the best passive speed buff trait, what helps getting around those cliffs one would die from jumping down as well as not falling at all in jumping puzzles.

Into the dark side of our nature to look we all need. The energy, the passion there is.
Afraid of that people are. Pieces of us it holds busy denying we are.

in Elementalist

Rain King.5914

Elementalist has the best passive speed buff trait, what helps getting around those cliffs one would die from jumping down as well as not falling at all in jumping puzzles.

I’ll take the troll bait just to keep this thread alive.

So you are saying that the other classes are the ones that are kittened? So shouldn’t the other classes be asking for better passive speed buffs -I know the most mobile class, the thief, is really hurting to be more mobile. But you don’t really see anyone crying about that because there is always a way somehow using other game mechanics such as skills or runes to get more speed buffs (the thief has passive speed buff on one of their signets).

There is no other way to get fall damage reduction other than a trait -which all professions have except for one -the elementalist.

Also telling someone not to fall in a jumping puzzle is as useful advice as telling someone not to die in battle -you are surely trolling if you think you were making a well thought argument.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

It’d be funny if they added it but put it at like 20 in fire so people still can’t get it.

in Elementalist

Rain King.5914

It’d be funny if they added it but put it at like 20 in fire so people still can’t get it.

Don’t jinks it. With our luck this is what will happen now.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Simplicity.7208

Simplicity.7208

Lol’d at the 20 fire comment. ArenaNet can create a trait that turns us into godzilla. If they just put it as 20 or 30 fire/air/earth then nobody would use it. Jolly good when three trait lines are useless beyond the 15 point.

In all honesty, I never had too much trouble without the falling trait. You have permanent, passive swiftness. Lightning flash, ride the lightning, mist form….You go around mountains faster than most classes fall down them.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avatara.1042

That the Mad King’s Descent extra fun, watching my less informed Elementalist brethren falling to their deaths, after mimmicking the other classes.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Homitu.7216

Homitu.7216

I’ve always thought it was silly that eles didn’t have this trait when every other class did as well. I can’t come up with a reason why this would be an actual design decision. This trait doesn’t really factor into the balancing conversation at all. It’s more of a situational quality of life option.

in Elementalist

Posted by: frostflare.6390

frostflare.6390

Yea…Passive Speed buffs are not really an “answer” either. Considering our passive Speeds do not stack. Equiping the 10% Signet, and the 10% air line does not stack. So technicly we only have a 10% speed bonus. Then if you get the one that increase your speed up to 25% it does not stack until the last 15%. So we have to stay in Air attunement pretty long to get its benifits.

Of all the classes who should have a falling damage trait we should. I mean, we already have no health(and that is fine). But it’s very dissapointing that I can walk into a pot hole on the road(I have done this before) and lost like 60% of my health….It truely was like walking into a mud puddle that took that much health. I have also died from fallign damage when i was Sliding because I jumped toward an incline..and it killed me. I actualy only slipped for about 1 second, and rested in the same position I began. Tried the same on my guardian, with the triat. She survived.

Something is funky about this! lol

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Lol.

Does anyone know wheter Protection helps you survive falling damage?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Tenebram.8975

Tenebram.8975

Still waiting to hear an update about this.. it really is needed.. sure it’s not something you cant live without but it definitely saves time and frustration, not to mention it does make a huge difference in certain situations as mentioned before.. when one class can fall down and keep on running the elementalist will do a face plant and have to stand back up before continuing…

in Elementalist

Rain King.5914

Lol.

Does anyone know wheter Protection helps you survive falling damage?

Protection does not mitigate fall damage.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avatara.1042

Hopefully the upcoming patch gives us one.

in Elementalist

Rain King.5914

Hopefully the upcoming patch gives us one.

I have my fingers crossed & hopefully it will be a 10 point trait. If not I will be disappointed.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

My solution is to bring along another class with the trait to rez me at the bottom…..

(Well, that’s not a solution…….)

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wesley.4590

Wesley.4590

Let’s give this one a bump. I don’t get why every single profession except Elementalist has a 50% reduced falling damage trait. Elementalists now clearly have a disadvantage when it comes to vertical maps and it looks like Anet wants to create more of these (which is nice by itself). E.g. the new PvP map, but also some jumping puzzles like Griffonrook Run. This puzzle actually requires you to let yourself fall down a number of times while not getting hit by any of the Griffon mobs flying around at the drop points within 3 minutes. So please give us our 50% reduced falling damage trait to even things out. Having 4 elements can be an advantage, but when it comes down to falling damage it doesn’t help you at all. Plus it’s weird since we use both Air and Earth, but somehow we suck at it that much that we can’t use it at our advantage when we fall off of a cliff…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

maybe they could give us a conjure using up 3 utility skills which gives us tiny wings reducing the fall damage by 1% if we click it really fast.. would be in line with the rest of the class balance..

seriously though, either an air trait with an aoe blind at the end of the fall or one in arcana (hey, we have a grandmaster slot available, since EA is unusable now!) giving different effects for each attunement would be plausible and fit well into the class..

in Elementalist

Posted by: MagicWalker.1408

MagicWalker.1408

No, it should be in the Earth line because every other profession has it in their Toughness stat line.

in Elementalist

Wesley.4590

Would be nice to get an Anet response to this, because I can’t imagine they forgot to give Ele’s one so it has to be intentional. But I don’t see any reason for this. Either give all professions the trait, or none and make it a consumable or something like that.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ATMAvatar.5749

ATMAvatar.5749

maybe they could give us a conjure using up 3 utility skills which gives us tiny wings reducing the fall damage by 1% if we click it really fast.. would be in line with the rest of the class balance..

seriously though, either an air trait with an aoe blind at the end of the fall or one in arcana (hey, we have a grandmaster slot available, since EA is unusable now!) giving different effects for each attunement would be plausible and fit well into the class..

Conjure parachute.

Of course, it would inevitably be nerfed in a later patch to instead conjure an anvil or tire or something.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zaviel.1245

Zaviel.1245

Conjure parachute.

Of course, it would inevitably be nerfed in a later patch to instead conjure an anvil or tire or something.

I couldn’t help but think of old Bugs Bunny cartoons when you said that.

in Elementalist

Wesley.4590

I believe it shouldn’t use up a Grandmaster slot but an Adept slot like it does in every other profession. The Earth trait would indeed be the most logical place for it considering other professions.

It doesn’t matter if we have a passive speed buff and RtL, because you can’t always avoid falling down. I like that Anet seems to focus more on vertical terrains aswell, but my Elementalist doesn’t like eating grass and mud everytime she wants to follow another profession down. Sure it’s probably a great gold sink because we either need to bring someone else along to revive us or we have to wp our way out. Atm Elementalists can’t enjoy the vertical terrains as much as others because of this and your profession choice shouldn’t be an impairment in certain areas.

Btw I really suggest you all try the Griffonrook Run Jumping Puzzle and try to get to the chest with the bomb. Keep count of how often you die because you had to jump down before you could regen enough just to avoid being hit by a Griffon. Great way to bump your death count up.
Eventually I gave up and just tried to finish it without that bomb and that was still pretty difficult.

in Elementalist

ATMAvatar.5749

Air makes the most sense, and I doubt many would be particularly heart-broken if they replaced our One with Air trait with something useful.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Miziki.8326

Miziki.8326

Inb4 Slow Fall spell.
..okay maybe not, but I can dream, can’t I? ._.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

I dont miss it. Only time it came in handy was on a thief exploring the bottom of Rata Sum.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

Cant get hurt if you dont fall. Was doing that jumping puzzle a mile in the sky in the Asuran area where you have to attune to the assuran gates. Wouldnt have saved me the one time I some how fell all the way to the ground onto an inaccessable area… 500,000 damage instead of a million.

in Elementalist

ATMAvatar.5749

One With Air is my favourite trait…

The problem is that it doesn’t stack with swiftness, and we can get near permanent swiftness already. If we had out of combat weapon swap (or if you can stand to leave your bags open and click away), it would be permanent swiftness, because you can swap */D and staff to juggle switfness buffs and RTL.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Tenebram.8975

Tenebram.8975

Well another reason for needing this to be added is the new buff given to scorpion tail/wire.. now that thieves can pull people off cliffs it is yet another instance of where every other class has suitable defense

(edited by Tenebram.8975)

in Elementalist

Rain King.5914

So we have another opportunity in about two weeks. Lets hope I can start playing my Elementalist again.

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

To be fair i use my permanent swiftness more than i jump off cliffs, and switching to water regens my health to full pretty fast after a non-fatal drop, meh.

Would be nice to have something flashy like a fire or water burst on falling though when I play my mesmer I would much rather have the swiftness than the falling reduction.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Elementalist

ATMAvatar.5749

It depends on what you do. If you take the time to experience a broad swath of the game, there are several extremely frustrating moments you’ll run into that just burn into your brain because ele is the only class which lacks fall damage reduction. I’ll share several of mine:

WvW: it is not uncommon to be in a zerg which decides to jump off a cliff to speed up travel. Jumping with them and being the only person who dies is incredibly demeaning, especially when added to the overall fragility of the class when not playing a full bunker spec. Additionally, if you’re playing a full glass cannon spec, the waterfall entrance to the Emerald/Garnet/Sapphire sanctum jumping puzzles will occasionally kill you.

Mad King event: The mad king fight had a jump at the very end that an ele had to land perfectly to survive. The first time or two I did it, I simply followed the group on the way down to the chest, only to watch my party mates running away nearly unscathed as my blood fertilized the local flora.

Jumping puzzles: Several different jumping puzzles in the game have jumps that will kill an ele or punish them for not having fall damage reduction. Griffinrook Run is a good example – it is a timed jumping puzzle, and eles are forced to take more time to recover health in a few sections of the puzzle that would not be an issue if we had fall damage reduction.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MilConDoin.3420

MilConDoin.3420

Dear Arenanet. Please switch Earth I to:
Activate Eruption when taking falling damage. Take 50% less falling damage.

in Elementalist

Rain King.5914

Dear Arenanet. Please switch Earth I to:
Activate Eruption when taking falling damage. Take 50% less falling damage.

I don’t care what line the trait goes in as long as it is a 10 point trait, but I would think it would make more sense if the spell was dependent on which attunement you are currently in.

in Elementalist

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

so I was thinking:
Fire: Ring of Fire
Air: Static Field
Water: Geyser
Earth: Earthquake

Then I was like “meh… Just take some random spells which don’t have that much in common”

Then it struck me. How about:
-Gain an aura based on your current attunement upon falling. Take 50% reduced falling damage.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

so I was thinking:
Fire: Ring of Fire
Air: Static Field
Water: Geyser
Earth: Earthquake

Then I was like “meh… Just take some random spells which don’t have that much in common”

Then it struck me. How about:
-Gain an aura based on your current attunement upon falling. Take 50% reduced falling damage.

That could work if the aura traits didn’t exist.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

that’s what cooldowns are there for.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.