No more Elemental Attunement + Evasive Arcana

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

And so they day has finally come. When the update comes, no more tons of boons and free spells on dodge. Eles must choose what to put in that GM tier if they go Arcana!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/33qrg0/specialization_ama_livestream_notes/

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

Elemental contingency might become a good replacement, especially considering the many news ways of generating auras and the increased synergy of aura-related traits. I am not too worried

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Elemental contingency might become a good replacement, especially considering the many news ways of generating auras and the increased synergy of aura-related traits. I am not too worried

Oh come on, that trait is just bad. 10 second cooldown on 2 and a half second protection, 3 second vigor…that’s so useless on stuck. So you can’t even time your attuenements, because it depends on other people to proc.

in Elementalist

Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

Isn’t the 10s cd not global but per attunement-boon ?

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

“Those are very core to elementalists and that is why they need to be a choice.”

Methinks Karl does not understand what being “core” means. Its like saying Shatters are very core to Mesmers, or Virtues to Guardians, and then only getting to pick one.

Maybe this is a late April Fool’s joke?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

Yes. That said, my vote is on Elemental Attunement over Evasive Arcana due to its synergy with the rest of the Celestial D/D build and mobility. I won’t miss the extra blast finisher on-dodge from Earth Attunement as much as the extra heal on-dodge from Water Attunement, though.

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

(edited by Velimere.7685)

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

Yes. That said, my vote is on Elemental Attunement over Evasive Arcana due to its synergy with the rest of the Celestial D/D build and mobility. I won’t miss the extra blast finisher on-dodge from Earth Attunement as much as the extra heal on-dodge from Water Attunement, though.

Yeah + the blind on air. The sad part is they did it to nerf dd ele, but touched fresh air, too, which already had a hard time to be viable.

in Elementalist

Velimere.7685

Yeah + the blind on air. The sad part is they did it to nerf dd ele, but touched fresh air, too, which already had a hard time to be viable.

We’re getting trade-offs from 6/6/6, though, via Earth Attunement: Written in Stone will allow us to have our cake and eat it too with our Signet of Restoration. I’m not really a fan of Diamond Skin, but Stone Heart is also pretty strong against Berserker builds if all of our protection spamming isn’t enough for some people.

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

We’re getting trade-offs from 6/6/6, though via Earth Attunement: Written in Stone will allow us to have our cake and eat it too with our Signet of Restoration. I’m not really a fan of Diamond Skin, but Stone Heart is also pretty strong against Berserker builds if all of our protection spamming isn’t enough for some people.

Every class is getting 6/6/6. The difference other classes are getting insanely op traits. It doesn’t sound so bad for dd ele, but compare it to the giant power creep from other classes. It will touch fresh air ele a lot, which is my concern. It already has meh sustained dps and no traits in earth will help that. Also, Arcana line seems really weak now.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

We’re getting trade-offs from 6/6/6, though via Earth Attunement: Written in Stone will allow us to have our cake and eat it too with our Signet of Restoration. I’m not really a fan of Diamond Skin, but Stone Heart is also pretty strong against Berserker builds if all of our protection spamming isn’t enough for some people.

Every class is getting 6/6/6. The difference other classes are getting insanely op traits. It doesn’t sound so bad for dd ele, but compare it to the giant power creep from other classes. It will touch fresh air ele a lot, which is my concern. It already has meh sustained dps and no traits in earth will help that. Also, Arcana line seems really weak now.

Dude…you get a GM minor trait that reduce dmg by 20% received within 600 range, add then protection (-33% dmg), add stone heart, add all healing, regen, vigor…I don’t think we need more sustain on fresh air…

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

Dude…you get a GM minor trait that reduce dmg by 20% received within 600 range, add then protection (-33% dmg), add stone heart, add all healing, regen, vigor…I don’t think we need more sustain on fresh air…

Healing, rege, vigor? So basically fresh air will go earth, arcana and air? Yeah, that sounds like lots of dps you have there.

in Elementalist

Velimere.7685

Frost Aura spam (Soothing Ice) and thus even more Protection spam (Elemental Shielding) on top of extra Fury, Protection, and Vigor (Elemental Contingency) will keep Celestial D/D on par with this upcoming power creep… and will probably still be a top tier 1v1 contender while remaining to be a superior team-fighter.

I’m not really worried. That said, I don’t think Air Attunement will be as viable as Earth Attunement in the new PvP meta at all.

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

Frost Aura spam (Soothing Ice) and thus even more Protection spam (Elemental Shielding) on top of extra Fury, Protection, and Vigor (Elemental Contingency) will keep Celestial D/D on par with this upcoming power creep… and will probably still be a top tier 1v1 contender while remaining to be a superior team-fighter.

I’m not really worried. That said, I don’t think Air Attunement will be as viable as Earth Attunement in the new PvP meta at all.

I don’t think it touches dd ele so much, but again you have to consider the power creep of other classes. It’s hard to say now. But fresh air sounds really weak, especially DPS wise. (Bye Bolt to the heart). It’s just becoming all passive procs and spamming skills, exactly the opposite of the game shouldn’t be trying to achieve.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

Who cares about EA. Assuming these changes go through you can now run lightning rod + tempest defense in one build. Not to mention that ridiculous 20% damage reduction from the earth minor + stone heart at the same time.

What other classes get will prob cancel it out and make it a lot less OP than it sounds, but itl be interesting, and at least the “meta” pvp build will no longer be 0/0/2/6/6.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

in Elementalist

Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

No information on any reduction to attunement swapping cooldown from arcana btw, it is almost as if it slipped out of their mind

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

Who cares about EA. Assuming these changes go through you can now run lightning rod + tempest defense in one build. Not to mention that ridiculous 20% damage reduction from the earth minor + stone heart at the same time.

What other classes get will prob cancel it out and make it a lot less OP than it sounds, but itl be interesting, and at least the “meta” pvp build will no longer be 0/0/2/6/6.

Every ele cares about EA. Yeah, because it will be 0/0/6/6/6. I agree the damage reduction in earth sounds strong, but I doubt dd eles will run Air magic. And I still feel like Fresh air will be better than lightning rod + tempest defense. The cc skill cooldowns are still quite high to be more poweful than FA.

in Elementalist

Velimere.7685

Who cares about EA.

Everyone who understands why Elementalist is a top contender in PvP does, and you will too when you see them using it in the upcoming meta.

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

No information on any reduction to attunement swapping cooldown from arcana btw, it is almost as if it slipped out of their mind

Didn’t they say something about 8 seconds when you have Arcana?

in Elementalist

Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

Attunement swapping cooldown, not attunement cooldown

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

Attunement swapping cooldown, not attunement cooldown

Ah sorry.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

It seems like D/D ele will be getting a huge nerf. Its mainly the extra heal i’ll miss from EA though. Maybe I can throw on a renewal sigil to make up for that and still take elemental attunement, either that or i’ll be forced to take elemental contingency and EA.

The master traits in arcana seem really horrible though. hopefully they’ll change their mind and move elemental attunement down to master. Didn’t they say at one point in the past they considered making it baseline since it was so key to all ele builds? howd they go from that to making it a gm trait? It would have been much better to make elemental attunement baseline but only affect the ele and have the trait make it also affect allies. that’s how I would have changed it anyway.

On the plus side, it seems like staff might become viable for roaming solo with some of the changes. all the traits in earth to make you super survivable against thieves, along with all the air traits and lightning rod. i’ll definitely play around with it a bit.

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

It seems like D/D ele will be getting a huge nerf. Its mainly the extra heal i’ll miss from EA though. Maybe I can throw on a renewal sigil to make up for that and still take elemental attunement, either that or i’ll be forced to take elemental contingency and EA.

The master traits in arcana seem really horrible though. hopefully they’ll change their mind and move elemental attunement down to master. Didn’t they say at one point in the past they considered making it baseline since it was so key to all ele builds? howd they go from that to making it a gm trait? It would have been much better to make elemental attunement baseline but only affect the ele and have the trait make it also affect allies. that’s how I would have changed it anyway.

On the plus side, it seems like staff might become viable for roaming solo with some of the changes. all the traits in earth to make you super survivable against thieves, along with all the air traits and lightning rod. i’ll definitely play around with it a bit.

No, because it’s crucial, you have to choose. If you play ele anyway. Shoutouts to balance team.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Waisenpai.6028

Waisenpai.6028

This is a big deal of you TSPVP or Raom . We forced them to change that error last year when they tried to nerf it and place it as a grandmaster. Why are they trying to trick us again. I spvp and wvw roam 3-4 hours a day. You can’t split those skills you kill META D/D and Staff eles via conquest and wvw roaming. We have nothing, Elemental Attunement is not a Grandmaster trait.

I play my ele alone 2955 hours and across my account 5557 hours. Trust me please retract this decision you either killed the elementalist or you made Sword main hand a golden god.

Min Min core d/d ele Borlis Pass Bunny Thumper

in Elementalist

Nikkinella.8254

maybe we can convince them that this is a stupid idea? We managed to open their eyes last time when they wanted to put renewing stamina and elemental attunement both in master. We have to convince them again it seems that they’ll be hurting the ele a lot by doing this.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Valin.6873

Valin.6873

please.. i agree. let us atleast keep these two together.. needs evasive arcana and elemental attument togeather!

<Dagger/Dagger Elementalist> <Gates of Madness>

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

I think Ele is still going to have quite a bit of survivability. On a standard D/D Build, you could have:

• Geomancer’s Defense – 20% less damage while within 600 range (Earth Minor)
  • Elemental Shielding – Prot on Aura (Earth Major)
  • Soothing Ice – Gain Regen and Frost Aura when you are critically hit (Water Major)
  • Cleansing Wave – Cleanse Condi on Water Attune (Water Major)
  • Cleansing Water- Cleanse Condi when gaining Regen (Water Major)
  • Elemental Contingency – Retal/Fury/Protection/Vigor when hit in Fire/Air/Earth/Water (Arcana Major)
  • Evasive Arcana!

and

• Soothing Mist and Healing Ripple of course

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

I think Ele is still going to have quite a bit of survivability. On a standard D/D Build, you could have:

• Soothing Ice – Gain Regen and Frost Aura when you are critically hit (Water Major)
  • Elemental Contingency – Retal/Fury/Protection/Vigor when hit in Fire/Air/Water/Earth (Arcana Major)
  • Evasive Arcana!

and

The only problem is Arcana major sucks. Elemental Contigency is far worse than EA.

in Elementalist

Nikkinella.8254

^that’s the problem though. This doesn’t open up more build diversity, it limits it. You’ll HAVE TO go earth, water and arcana on d/d ele. I was really hoping i’d be able to spec more into the offensive traitlines like air and fire finally, but without the protection and regen on attunement swap+evasive arcana, youll be way too easy to kill. Elemental attunement needs to be baseline just for the ele only. make the trait have it affect allies. it should have been this way from day 1 anyway, this is their chance to finally make it happen.

(edited by Nikkinella.8254)

in Elementalist

Posted by: The Great Al.2546

The Great Al.2546

I have thought all along that Evasive Arcana should just be an inherent trait of every elementalist. I think it’s too vital to a large percentage of players.

in Elementalist

Posted by: BATMAN.6794

BATMAN.6794

Dont let them make us chose guys. Elemental Contingency will not be anything like elemental attunement. Post as much as u can to get them to change it. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/Elementalists-Specializations-Trait-Changes/first#post5001016

Desert Borderlands suck bring back alpine til new ones are revamped

in Elementalist

Nikkinella.8254

affects on dodge aren’t inherent to any class. would you want Mesmer to have clone on dodge naturally or thief with caltrops on dodge naturally? I for one would much rather have elemental attunement inherent to the class and have to pick the on dodge traits. And BATMAN is right. We get them to change their minds before when they tried to butcher the class by moving renewing stamina and elemental attunement to the same line, we can do it again. Its clear whoever made this decision has never played ele.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

You need to change playstyle when you change traitline, if you earth/water/arcana d/d you can can play tanky role..otherwise you need to watch your steps as cost for the increased dmg.

I totally see a fire/earth/air d/d ele with tank stats as an offensive hybrid…as I can see a normal tank/support earth/water/arcana

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

affects on dodge aren’t inherent to any class. would you want Mesmer to have clone on dodge naturally or thief with caltrops on dodge naturally? I for one would much rather have elemental attunement inherent to the class and have to pick the on dodge traits.

I agree with Elemental Attunement, it’s pretty much the same as Illusionary Persona and that will be a baseline.

in Elementalist

Velimere.7685

• Elemental Contingency – Retal/Fury/Protection/Vigor when hit in Fire/Air/Earth/Water (Arcana Major)
  • Evasive Arcana!

and

Evasive Arcana over Elemental Attunement? No thanks!

in Elementalist

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I think the biggest problem with the changes to elemental attunement, is that whatever remains in the master line is just not very interesting. Elemental Contigency is kind of a weird trait, that treats eles as if they had a high health pool. Why would an ele want to get hit to gain fury?

I’d rather have a nerfed version of elemental attunement on master tier, than having the two EA traits compete against each other. For example, Anet could simply reduce the protection duration from EA to 2 seconds, and it would probably be enough to justify it at master tier. Meanwhile, Elemental Contigency just needs a new
functionality.

The first two arcane magic tiers are very restricting. If you have no precision, and if you decide to not focus on arcane skills, there’s nothing for you to choose in the adept tier. The revive and fall damage traits are greatly restricting the trait line. And Arcane Energy and Renewing Stamina synergy very well with each other, so it’s a shame that they exist in the same tier.

I suggest the following to Anet: swap final shielding with arcane energy.

• Adept:
  1. Final Shielding (<- good on every build)
  2. Renewing Stamina
  • Master
  1. Arcane Energy (<- synergy with both traits above)
  2. Nerfed version of EA or Elemental Contigency reworked to not be tank-exclusive

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Yoda.2839

Yoda.2839

I feel like they have sapped the final straw of fun from classic dd ele. What was fun for me two years ago was RTL, dodging offensively and attunament dancing.

RTL was taken from us a while ago(there could be other nerfs to it, like damging you and then heal if strike a foe). And now they are making us choose between being reward for attunemnt dancing and using dodge as a skill cast? I would definitely not call that keeping the “spirit” of the build.

What I would propose, if having EA as a master is so offensive, is to have a new master trait that restores RTL to its former glory. Possibly with some restrictions as to running away.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

As they said the main way to look as this is you’re also gaining effectively gaining 4 more traits to spend.

Assuming a xxx66 build currently, you’re losing either Elemental Attunement or Evasive Arcana. These are pretty big changes. However you also have to consider the fact that instead of 2 fire, 2 air or 2 earth (usually air or earth) you’re now getting 6 in these lines. 6 Earth is pretty kitten ed powerful in terms of survivability and getting full Air not only still potentially gives you Bolt to the Heart still but many other benefits as well now that we lacked before (such as Tempest Defense Major!)

I think the real question is going to be how they handle stats. Sure everyone is getting 1000 base stats from 926 but 00266 D/D Cele Ele relied a bit on 300 extra Healing/Vit and that 30% boon up time. Even with a flat bump to stats on Cele amulet there’s really no way to mix-match stats to get the same results since amulets simply are. We’ll have to wait and see what they do with stats on equipment (such as Amulets) to really see what’s going to go down there.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

As they said the main way to look as this is you’re also gaining effectively gaining 4 more traits to spend.

Assuming a xxx66 build currently, you’re losing either Elemental Attunement or Evasive Arcana. These are pretty big changes. However you also have to consider the fact that instead of 2 fire, 2 air or 2 earth (usually air or earth) you’re now getting 6 in these lines. 6 Earth is pretty kitten ed powerful in terms of survivability and getting full Air not only still potentially gives you Bolt to the Heart still but many other benefits as well now that we lacked before (such as Tempest Defense Major!)

I think the real question is going to be how they handle stats. Sure everyone is getting 1000 base stats from 926 but 00266 D/D Cele Ele relied a bit on 300 extra Healing/Vit and that 30% boon up time. Even with a flat bump to stats on Cele amulet there’s really no way to mix-match stats to get the same results since amulets simply are. We’ll have to wait and see what they do with stats on equipment (such as Amulets) to really see what’s going to go down there.

Saying ele is getting another full tree is invalid as all other classes are getting that + they got major buffs.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

Saying ele is getting another full tree is invalid as all other classes are getting that + they got major buffs.

I don’t compare other classes because I have no criteria to measure it. Personally if I thought another class was really all that much more OP I’d just go play it since I have each class at 80 already. Only other class that I even saw that interested me was the Mortar on Engineer (since it does similar to the Ele’s ranged AOE/Fields which we still get).

Even then really looking forward to a Air/Earth/Water build for WvW!

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Elementalist

Nikkinella.8254

Maybe they purposely made arcana line suck now to make the new specialization line more appealing? Maybe as sword eles we’ll get something similar to elemental attunement and evasive arcana. either way, I still think elemental attunement (affecting the ele only and not allies) should be baseline. Just look at what mes is getting as baseline now. Its more than fair for us to get a self only elemental attunement as baseline. and if they insist on having a version as a gm trait, make the gm trait more powerful and affect allies. id rather have a weaker self only version than not have it at all. I’m a solo player anyway so I could care less about buffing party members.

in Elementalist

Velimere.7685

Thinking about it some more, Geomancer’s Defense more so than Elemental Shielding is what will keep Celestial D/D from touching Air Attunement. A little more damage is nothing in comparison to a lot more (permanent) defense.

in Elementalist

Nikkinella.8254

That’s depressing. I really wanted to spec into air, fire, and arcane as d/d ele. wont be able to if I cant take elemental attunement and evasive arcana together. i’d never survive anything without the protection, regen, and dodge heal.

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

That’s depressing. I really wanted to spec into air, fire, and arcane as d/d ele. wont be able to if I cant take elemental attunement and evasive arcana together. i’d never survive anything without the protection, regen, and dodge heal.

Pretty sure dd ele will have to go earth, water and arcana just to survive. It would be cool if we got more build diversity but instead we got one build removed.

in Elementalist

Velimere.7685

I really wanted to spec into air, fire, and arcane as d/d ele. wont be able to if I cant take elemental attunement and evasive arcana together. i’d never survive anything without the protection, regen, and dodge heal.

That’s spreading your defense way too thin to begin with. Any Elementalist spec that isn’t Earth/Water/Arcane will lose to any Celestial D/D spec that is. Forgoing not one but two of those defensive trait lines is just not competitive.

in Elementalist

Nikkinella.8254

I really wanted to spec into air, fire, and arcane as d/d ele. wont be able to if I cant take elemental attunement and evasive arcana together. i’d never survive anything without the protection, regen, and dodge heal.

That’s spreading your defense way too thin to begin with. Any Elementalist spec that isn’t Earth/Water/Arcane will lose to any Celestial D/D spec that is. Forgoing not one but two of those defensive trait lines is just not competitive.

isn’t that the point of them changing traits to begin with? Ya know, build diversity? I shouldn’t be forced to take certain traitlines. Atleast if they left evasive arcana and elemental attunement as is, we would have options. That’s all I want, options. With these changes we’re just going to be pidgeonholed even more than we are now. yay for diversity in builds for every class……unless you’re an elementalist. Sorry! you aren’t allowed to have build diversity as an ele. use the same spec you’ve been using since launch or be ineffective. so instead of 0/0/2/6/6 we now get to use 0/0/6/6/6! wow, so revolutionary! such an amazing change, so much diversity!

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

isn’t that the point of them changing traits to begin with? Ya know, build diversity? I shouldn’t be forced to take certain traitlines. Atleast if they left evasive arcana and elemental attunement as is, we would have options. That’s all I want, options. With these changes we’re just going to be pidgeonholed even more than we are now. yay for diversity in builds for every class……unless you’re an elementalist. Sorry! you aren’t allowed to have build diversity as an ele. use the same spec you’ve been using since launch or be ineffective. so instead of 0/0/2/6/6 we now get to use 0/0/6/6/6! wow, so revolutionary! such an amazing change, so much diversity!

And don’t forget now you shouldn’t even use fresh air because apparently it was too unviable, so they nerfed it more.

in Elementalist

Velimere.7685

Honestly, I only play Celestial D/D in PvP (it’s the only thing I actually enjoy playing there), and losing Evasive Arcana while gaining Geomancer’s Defense is hands-down a massive buff. That said, with Blasting Staff becoming baseline, I might touch my Elementalist in PvE again… then again, maybe not. Pre-stacking might in dungeons always feels like one big chore for me whereas pulling it off in PvP just comes from proper positioning during skill rotations.

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

Honestly, I only play Celestial D/D in PvP (it’s the only thing I actually enjoy playing there), and losing Evasive Arcana while gaining Geomancer’s Defense is hands-down a massive buff. That said, with Blasting Staff becoming baseline, I might touch my Elementalist in PvE again… then again, maybe not. Pre-stacking might in dungeons always feels like one big chore for me whereas pulling it off in PvP just comes from proper positioning during skill rotations.

Yea, you only lose defense AND offense and gain completely useless major traits in arcana. Such a buff.

in Elementalist

Nikkinella.8254

Playing ele in spvp and playing it in wvw are 2 completely different things. Go roam solo for a bit in wvw and you’ll see why the rest of us are so upset about this horrible change. See how long you last without having both evasive arcana and elemental attunement.

in Elementalist

Velimere.7685

Yea, you only lose defense AND offense and gain completely useless major traits in arcana. Such a buff.

What? Evasive Arcana is good and all, but a permanent 20% decrease in received damage is a trade I’ll make any given day. Landing any other on-dodge spell other than to heal myself or blast Might just happens because I need to dodge something crucial and just so happen to be positioned to dodge into a foe. I’m not someone who swaps into Earth Attunement and Water Attunement and normally has to wait for endurance regeneration to dodge.

Playing ele in spvp and playing it in wvw are 2 completely different things. Go roam solo for a bit in wvw and you’ll see why the rest of us are so upset about this horrible change. See how long you last without having both evasive arcana and elemental attunement.

It’s a good thing I absolutely despise WvW and never touch it, then.