Out of combat weapon switching

in Elementalist

Posted by: serpentu.4591

serpentu.4591

Let me begin by saying that i fully understand why Elems aren’t allowed to switch weapons during combat, that is not what this post is all about.

What this post is all about is that we do need a secondary weapon slot anyway
that can only be swapped out of combat to add some flexibility to elementalist gameplay.

Most elems to my knowledge end up either playing the whole game with a staff, or dual dagger, never changing because quite frankly going into inventory to change weapons quickly becomes a mess.

Giving us the convenience of having a secondary weapon slot for out-of-combat swapping won’t give anyone any advantage, but it will make the game more fun by making the class -seem- more flexible to whoever plays it.

edit:
Or alternatively let us actually switch it in combat but with a significant cooldown.

(edited by serpentu.4591)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fuzion.7613

Fuzion.7613

Or you can just carry a weapon in your bag and swap it out of combat.

/thread

Fuzion
Necro – Team U S A [USA]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

I wish you could favorite weapons like you could dyes. They also might launch a “loadout” feature where you can save gear set ups and switch between them, so that would help instead of ooc weapon switching, which they probably won’t do because it would be confusing for new players.

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

in Elementalist

Posted by: Chewie.7389

Chewie.7389

I don’t think it should be allowed during combat in any sense, I’d hate to keep track of 40 spells during an important fight haha. But I would LOVE for the weapon switch icon to simply go invisible when combat starts. It’s very clunky to always have to hit H when I wanna switch weapons to keep combat from getting boring.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

Agreed TC, all we need is the same little box in the hero menu and the same side button on the ingame bar – it just needs to be greyed out in combat,

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

in Elementalist

serpentu.4591

/thread

I don’t suppose you know a way to disallow loot from being dropped into a specific bag so that my precious lvl80 exotics won’t be mixed with the stuff i want to salvage, vendor or sell? >.> (don’t even say invisible bags, loot auto-drops into them like any other bag)

Or there could just be a slot for a secondary loadout.
Convenience is not a bad thing.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Haaggis.8507

Haaggis.8507

I agree.

There is absolutely no harm what so ever in allowing us to have a second weapon slot which can be switched easily (without going into bags) whilst out of combat.

I know it’s one of the finer points in the game that needs to be looked at but it’s worth mentioning.

One ideal situation would be using the staff in WvW from a post. You are ranged and decide stuff it, i want to get out into the battle NOW! You are now out of combat, hit the button, rush outside of the post to your death. (but hey, it was fun and you didn’t have to go into your bags)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fuzion.7613

Fuzion.7613

/thread

I don’t suppose you know a way to disallow loot from being dropped into a specific bag so that my precious lvl80 exotics won’t be mixed with the stuff i want to salvage, vendor or sell? >.> (don’t even say invisible bags, loot auto-drops into them like any other bag)

Put the things you want to keep in the top bag. Organization skills are amazing.

Fuzion
Necro – Team U S A [USA]

in Elementalist

serpentu.4591

/thread

Put the things you want to keep in the top bag. Organization skills are amazing.

So whenever i want to switch loadout i’m supposed to reorganize my inventory, brilliant.

in Elementalist

Posted by: TeamRaveGreen.6917

TeamRaveGreen.6917

Fuzion is just a troll – don’t feed it.

I like this idea.

It’s just a quality of life thing and shouldn’t be a big deal to add to the class. I was surprised it wasn’t an option already.

Inzaghi – 80 Norn Guardian – 400 Jeweler/400 Weaponsmith
Zakuani – 80 Human Elementalist – 400 Tailoring/400 Cooking
South Lake Union Trolley [RTS], Jade Quarry

in Elementalist

Posted by: slimjim.8415

slimjim.8415

This has been suggested many many times during the beta. I think we may have to open our character sheet/inventory every time to switch weapons out of combat for a long long long time. The out of combat swap button is too practical for anyone to implement.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lokai.7850

Lokai.7850

/thread

yes because stopping, opening my bag, spending the 5 or so mins searching for the gear i need in all the junk, and equipping it seems like a good alternative… i agree at level 7 we need to get a second weapon set slot like everyone else, we just simply cant do it in combat, and should probably have a 5 or 10 min cooldown so we arent running out of combat to swap and abusing it. i have every weapon in my ele’s bag but really annoying to swap all the time.

Edit: probably a way to use a macro system to do it though.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Georc.2958

Georc.2958

I agree. They should do this for engineers too. Opening the hero tab every time I want to switch weapons is a pain.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aaarrrggg.7415

Aaarrrggg.7415

Totally agree!

I enjoy PVEing with daggers but as soon as I spot a champion on the horizon I have to run over with a face full of windows.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LadyFearghus.3406

LadyFearghus.3406

I was about to open the same thread.

I already switch from Dagger/Dagger to Staff. D/D is good for general PvE, but I always use staff in dungeons. I’m ALREADY doing it. Adding it won’t make me overpowered. Just as convenience. I really wouldn’t mind if they added a longer cooldown. Always having to keep 1 or 2 slots of my inventory open is just a pain.

Maybe something like you have to have been out of combat for a minute or two to switch?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Michy.2957

Michy.2957

i would love it if that idea was implemented

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mandrax.7342

Mandrax.7342

I approve of this suggestion. I don’t care about switching in combat, I’ve already got enough skills to use, but we should be able to switch out of combat with just the press of a key, much like everybody else can.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vaerah.4907

Vaerah.4907

Very simple concept: add the same button for weapon set swapping all the other classes have, just disable it in combat. Pronto, a fix that does not require any additional developers effort except an “if in combat” check in the code.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

I absolutely agree with this because it would save so much time. Going into the menu can be quite irritating, especially after I’ve killed monsters and I’ve gained several new additions to the hero’s inventory.

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

in Elementalist

Posted by: msoltyspl.4135

msoltyspl.4135

Very simple concept: add the same button for weapon set swapping all the other classes have, just disable it in combat. Pronto, a fix that does not require any additional developers effort except an “if in combat” check in the code.

Going easy way, that would work. But we have quite a few more (and other classes as well) combinations. I’d rather see them spend a tiny bit more effort and allow weapon+ h/u/e skills presets, which then can be bound to some keys (by default unbound).

This would be beneficial for everyone, not only elementalist.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Relentless.5678

Relentless.5678

While I agree that this would be a nice ‘quality of life’ addition; I’m not sure how it would be fair.
If they do this for elementalists, why can’t other classes have extra weapon sets to switch out between combat. I know a few rangers and guardians that would love to have a third set queued up after combat.
Just playing devil’s advocate here; but I don’t have a problem with the way it’s set up currently. If eles were to suddenly be able to use more weapon types I might have serious issue.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

you know there are bags that"try" hold specific things. That being said I have never had the problem of searching for 5 minutes to locate a secondary weapon when I wanted to switch. maybe its because I have played games which had none- absolute trash inventory management thus I can make it work.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

in Elementalist

Posted by: LadyFearghus.3406

LadyFearghus.3406

It’s not impossible to press ‘H’ and switch weapons. I do it all the time. It’s just a little unfair that other races can do this just by pressing ‘`’

Relentless, we aren’t asking for a third set! Just a second set that all the professions already have! Our second set will simply have more rules applied to it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Relentless.5678

Relentless.5678

It’s a slippery slope. Could you imagine the other classes cry for fairness if elementalists were allowed to do this out-of-combat. And warriors with their thousand weapon combinations had no out-of-combat sets to switch between.

Just trying to see it from a different perspective. I’d guess that in time we will have something like this for an option, but I’d much rather they gave underwater dps some love first!

in Elementalist

Posted by: TeamRaveGreen.6917

TeamRaveGreen.6917

It’s a slippery slope. Could you imagine the other classes cry for fairness if elementalists were allowed to do this out-of-combat. And warriors with their thousand weapon combinations had no out-of-combat sets to switch between.

Just trying to see it from a different perspective. I’d guess that in time we will have something like this for an option, but I’d much rather they gave underwater dps some love first!

Huh…?

We want the same setup as every other class (just two weapon sets/combos) that can only be switched between OUT OF COMBAT…

Inzaghi – 80 Norn Guardian – 400 Jeweler/400 Weaponsmith
Zakuani – 80 Human Elementalist – 400 Tailoring/400 Cooking
South Lake Union Trolley [RTS], Jade Quarry

in Elementalist

Posted by: rucser.5140

rucser.5140

i definitely agree. it would be very nice to not have to dig through my inventory every time i wanted to switch to an alternate weapon set while out of combat.