Pet elite to be permanent?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Eviscera.9703

Eviscera.9703

This could be a cool ele nich. Water elemental for support, earth for solo/tanky situations, fire for dmg, air for CC and dmg. Reminds me of the Mage in WoW.

(edited by Eviscera.9703)

in Elementalist

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

it would be pointless in most cases, Most of the elementals SUCK. They would all need adjusting. What would happen when they die? I would prefer an Elite that would turn the player into an Elemental. We already have the model for players wit the Charged Potion and such it would just need skills adjusted and such.

in Elementalist

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

it would be pointless in most cases, Most of the elementals SUCK. They would all need adjusting. What would happen when they die? I would prefer an Elite that would turn the player into an Elemental. We already have the model for players wit the Charged Potion and such it would just need skills adjusted and such.

Yes, we need another elite that locks us out of our skills ;p

More seriously, I’m in favour of the permanent elemental but that’d probably get complained about for being too like Flesh Golem – would be nice to be able to have that lovely earth tank up indefinitely in PvE though.

I think a more reasonable change that we actually can hope for is manual activation of the summons’ special abilities – it’s generally agreed that in PvP the summons are unimpressive at best, being just a little extra damage output, since their utility is so very unreliable. Allowing players to choose when to stun an opponent with Air-GoE would potentially make Tempest Defence (or even the new air trait) much more useful.

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Yes, we need another elite that locks us out of our skills ;p

More seriously, I’m in favour of the permanent elemental but that’d probably get complained about for being too like Flesh Golem – would be nice to be able to have that lovely earth tank up indefinitely in PvE though.

I think a more reasonable change that we actually can hope for is manual activation of the summons’ special abilities – it’s generally agreed that in PvP the summons are unimpressive at best, being just a little extra damage output, since their utility is so very unreliable. Allowing players to choose when to stun an opponent with Air-GoE would potentially make Tempest Defence (or even the new air trait) much more useful.

Well to be fair, they would be similar to what the attunements are. So using it in Fire would turn you into a Fire Elemental. With Burning and such kind of damage. Water would be about Chills, AoE heals and such. Earth would be about Bleeding and Defense.

While using a attunement element would increase your stats in specific areas.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gearbox.2748

Gearbox.2748

The elite pets we have are actually quite good in pve. They have many hidden mechanics that you learn over time to use to your advantage.
Sure I would love to have them stay longer- infinite, But Devs do not like eles so I doubt we would get that.
As it is now for much content the FGS sadly outshines the elementals. in almost any situation. The sad part being that it makes us less of a special class and just a short time dps warrior with a long cooldown.. that can’t handle the aoe damage that we get while not having our base weapons skills.

I would really dislike more – transformation skills.. the ones we have are already highly annoying and less usefull – loosing base weapon skills and adaptability.

in Elementalist

Posted by: FLiP.7680

FLiP.7680

It doesn’t need to be infinite. 120s duration and 60s cooldown after they die would be enough. As Cheese said, while they are up the elite skill turns into a special skill.
And there is nothing wrong with the elemental elite be like Flash Golem. Engineers have the Ele/Warrior/Necro elite skill.

in Elementalist

Posted by: JETWING.2759

JETWING.2759

It doesn’t need to be infinite. 120s duration and 60s cooldown after they die would be enough. As Cheese said, while they are up the elite skill turns into a special skill.
And there is nothing wrong with the elemental elite be like Flash Golem. Engineers have the Ele/Warrior/Necro elite skill.

Agree

While up, elite skill could turn some active pet skill like flash golen.
Elementals AI could be improved to cast highest ranked (or most powerful) skill whenever these skills become up.

in Elementalist

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Isn’t the cooldown still bugged? It’s better if it dies then if the cooldown just expires IIRC.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Elementalist

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

Isn’t the cooldown still bugged? It’s better if it dies then if the cooldown just expires IIRC.

It’s not bugged, just misrepresented – the cooldown is 120 seconds, but only starts once the summon dies (either naturally or at its time limit). You get it back sooner if it dies… but there’ll be a 2-minute downtime either way.
Ranger Spirits and Necro Minions all function in the same way, with cooldowns beginning when the summon expires so that they can’t be resummoned instantly.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kyon.9735

Kyon.9735

I’d prefer if we can control when they use their skills. I’d sure love the on-demand heal and chill AoE field from Water elemental, protection and stun from Earth, swiftness and stun on Air, might and cripple from Fire.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

it would be pointless in most cases, Most of the elementals SUCK.

Like I’ve said many times before, you’re just using them wrong.

They’re pretty good at their respective roles, and while I can understand that you’d like a bit more control over their special abilities, they have in fact, more than 1 special ability.

Also, their strength (and uniqueness) lies in the fact that you have acces to 4 different summons in 1 skills. You can use a tank in 1 fight and a ranged stunbot in another.

Finally, the way their cooldown works is actually a boon: instead of always having a 180 sec cooldown, you get 120sec + how long your elemental lives. If it stays up for the full 60 seconds, the cooldown is 180 (120+60) sec. However, it it goes down prematurely, the total cooldown gets reduced by how many seconds it had left. And don’t forget you can also trait it quite cheaply to have 20% reduction. Not every elite gets a trait like that.

Reminds me of the Mage in WoW.

The elementalist is soo much better than the mage in WoW.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

it would be pointless in most cases, Most of the elementals SUCK.

Like I’ve said many times before, you’re just using them wrong.

Yeah because them dying in seconds (unless Earth ele) is really the fault of the player. As i have previously stated when this came up. I have had MANY duels with eles and the summons have been NO threat – Why? Because they either die in seconds or they do no damage so they can be ignored.

The WHOLE Elite would have to be redesigned for this to even be effective. I mean at Current stats. The Fire Ele could be ONE shot. They all need the damage buffed. The Air ele would need its “best” attack – best being defined as the one the lesser version doesn’t get to actually DEAL damage. The Earth Ele would need a better “best” skill as well. 5 second cripple and 3 second protection is rather poor for a “best” skill.

They should also each have specific stats from the Ele themselves. Like Fire Ele could gain 50% of the summoning ele Power, while the Air Ele could get 50% of the new Ferocity stat for increased Crit Damage, Water Ele could get an increase of Healing Power while the Earth Ele gains Condition damage based off the summoning ele.

I would of course tweak some of the skills they have as well. Earth Ele should really inflict Bleeding (though i would prefer Torment) on its “auto attacks” with Weakness and Torment on its 2nd attack. Air Ele rather than granting Swiftness i would prefer it granted Fury instead.

Except The WoW Mage had better attacks, did more damage, better mobility, Invisibility, Better CC, clones, better arcane skills. I can’t see in Any way where the Ele is better than the WoW mage – Maybe at healing and thats about it. But you have to consider the different game types as well for that.

(edited by ArmageddonAsh.6430)

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Yeah because them dying in seconds (unless Earth ele) is really the fault of the player.

Yes it is.

As i have previously stated when this came up. I have had MANY duels with eles and the summons have been NO threat – Why? Because they either die in seconds or they do no damage so they can be ignored.

Duels. It’s always about duels with you. There’s more to the game than duelling, and everywhere in PvE, elementals have their place, purpose and tricks. Having said that…

Go ahead and ignore my Air Elemental when I’m duelling you. Please do. In the meantime, it adds damage close to my auto attack and stuns you every 10 seconds.

Except The WoW Mage had better attacks, did more damage, better mobility, Invisibility, Better CC, clones, better arcane skills. I can’t see in Any way where the Ele is better than the WoW mage – Maybe at healing and thats about it. But you have to consider the different game types as well for that.

The mage in WoW is a boring dps bot. It has nothing like attunement swapping, skills that can have different effects based on said attunements, or combo fields. Mages are passive and dull, because WoW is passive and dull. GW’s combat is much more active, and that goes double for the elementalist. The elementalist is much more fun, and therefore much better. Balance will come later. Remember that it took WoW years just to get where they are now, balancewise.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: GoodWithGravy.8019

GoodWithGravy.8019

If I wanted a pet class I would have mained Ranger.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

It would be nice to have a way to keep ele pets out for longer if not all the time but i think it should be something you need to build for though at least going 30 points into something for this type of effect. Say at least 30 Ar so you need to make a chose between a realty good roll effect or a way to keep your pets out all the time. Or 30 water so you need to chose between support or pet etc.. A way to make your ele into a pet master or a summoner.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rudy.6184

Rudy.6184

I’d prefer if we can control when they use their skills. I’d sure love the on-demand heal and chill AoE field from Water elemental, protection and stun from Earth, swiftness and stun on Air, might and cripple from Fire.

This. I would appriciate if they rework this skill to work like necros flesh golem. Activation of stun, aoe dmg, heal etc. even if nerfed. As it is now this skill is totally random (but it is still underrated in my opinion – stun on air elemental is op).

in Elementalist

Posted by: HallusH.3987

HallusH.3987

“Balance will come later” 593days so far and counting.
beside that if compare balance and what to come or not, but you don’t take 1vs1 into account, isn’t this why it looks as it’s now.
that some classes have the better pets, the better survive ability in its core and etc.
that these “elemental pets” are useless in comparison.

also how do you stun someone that has stealth every 2secs, spawns more than 1 targets, or just immune to conditions in the time before you’re dead on the ground.

i feel like this is on paper sounds amazing. but in actual game play i see that air elemental maybe stuns 1 time in the whole period of time.
not sure how aware are you about the AI of these but they are just horrible.
it won’t keep attacking if you’re to use defensive abilities in like aoe or area target.
range from the target, attack speed,
most of the time it will stop as soon as you stop auto attack, i really hope that you’re not gonna say that you auto attack 90% of the fight in a 1vs1.

TL’DR when you can’t relay on something in a 1vs1 its useless.
plus at least in wow when you want to play a curtain play style you play that style and not a class that tries to mimic every class but does it very badly in comparison.