Post patch - Traiting for Berserker Staff?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

It’s a bit embarrassing but I never actually changed my traits for about 6 months until this recent patch, not the traits are all reset and I can’t figure out what I had in what trait lines.

I’m usually a PvE’er with heavy fire dmg and good crit ability (I think it was something like 34% crit chance and 81% crit damage) but I wanted to keep that kind of functionality with this new build.

So I’m looking for ideas, primarily for PvE (events, meta’s, etc) what traits would you run (or do you run) given a similar spec ele and similar instances (meta’s/PvE)?

Thanks in advance.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Biomanz.9302

Biomanz.9302

I’ve been doing 30/30/0/0/10 for some pve plus spvp for giggles and can certainly dish out heavy heavy + single dps. Arcane wave being ground targeted is a huge boon for staff, too. You can guess the downside – you die from a slight breeze, and maybe sitting in fire for pve can get boring.

Taera Locke – staff ele
Red circles heal you. Just relax.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Scizzor.8137

Scizzor.8137

I think the highest dps build is something like 30/10/10/10/10. That’s going for persisting flames and all the traits that boost dmg by a % and getting blasting staff.

I rarely go for just that though because I like some utility. I usually have at least 30 in fire.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Yeah scizzor, I opted for the 30/x/x/10/10 build, the x’s I’m not sure what to use as I don’t opt for much air besides movement speed, and earth is strictly to enhance bleeds. Bearing this in mind I was thinking of going /5/15 but I’m not sure.

Also blasting staff is tasty, but it’s in the same trait tier as renewing stamina, which i kind of rely on for dodges as I’m still a fairly soft target. :P

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

Earth also has a 10% when within 600 range of a mob, if LoS’ing the mobs, this will increase all your damage including burning retreat.

in Elementalist

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

LoS? what does that mean? “Line of sight” comes to mind, but that doesn’t really make sense here

in Elementalist

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

10/10/0/30/20 cantrip based build.

20 is needed in arcane for elemental attunement, 10 in fire for spell slinger gives 3 stacks of might for each cantrip. 10 in air for bolt to the heart. 30 in water for obvious regen/cleanse effects.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Redball.7236

Redball.7236

LoS? what does that mean? “Line of sight” comes to mind, but that doesn’t really make sense here

It does mean Line of Sight.

It’s a commonly used tactic involving PvE mobs usually, you break their line of sight by hiding around an obstacle or in a corner, making mobs (including ranged mobs, which would normally stay away) walk to you to attack you.

Players use to this to easily stack bosses or trash packs into a corner, which lets you easily aoe or cleave them down.

Cassius Snowstorm – Engineer
Tycho Snowpaw – Guardian
Gandara – [WvW]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wrunt.4892

Wrunt.4892

I’ve been running 30/20/10/0/10 on my ele, but that’s because I’m not skilled enough yet to stay above 90% health that often. I also usually don’t have blasting staff loaded in arcana, though…I quite like my vigor on crit.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

By doing the line of sight, you can burning retreat into a wall, doing a good amount of damage.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Flux Qemist.6712

Flux Qemist.6712

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEAQFAWhEmIbnR5QlEAkCoEeIABMIUYBElCxA-jUCBYfAkIAJPFRjt4qIas6aYKXER1GxYWzDp2gGSKArWAA-w

Couple of options for Arcana 10: reduced cool down (20%) – final shielding (to trigger air 20 point trait) or blasting staff if you need range/aoe coverage.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jeydra.4386

Jeydra.4386

With Staff you should definitely run 30 Fire, because Persisting Flames greatly boosts one of your main damage skills (Lava Font).

The rest of the traits are largely up to you. Personally I would not give up Healing Ripple since it’s so strong defensively, and since I’m going 15 into Water I spend the extra five points to get Cleansing Wave as well. That leaves 20 points to go into whatever blows your hair. If you’re interested in dealing as much damage as possible, Earth 10 would be good, and the rest can go into Air for the extra Precision / Crit Damage as well as Bolt to the Heart. Otherwise you can go 20 Arcana for Elemental Attunement, as well as Blasting Staff, or mix and manage whichever traits you most desire.

Personally I use 30/10/10/20/0, which has the extra advantage of working nicely with S/D (my other weaponset of choice).

in Elementalist

Posted by: Anierna.6918

Anierna.6918

The PvE staff meta is 30/20/10/10/0. In my guide, I called it Build A, at the following link:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/The-Ele-Meta-Dungeon-Speed-Runs-2-0/first#post3112677

30/20/10/10/0 with Arcane Lightning is better than 30/10/10/10/10 with Blasting Staff. For PvE, since the boss is a single target and standing still, Blasting Staff does not effect your Fireballs and Lava Fonts in any meaningful way, in regard to DPS. The only thing it does it make Meteor hit higher. So what you need to do is weigh that increase in Meteor damage against: perma 10% crit dmg from Arcane Lightning, perma 10% crit dmg from extra 10 in Air, 100 prec from extra 10 in Air. Since the majority of your damage will be done by Fireballs and Lava Fonts, even against targets with large hitboxes, the choice is obvious. The extra 10 in Air is FAR superior to 10 in Arcana.