PvE casual D/WH build advise needed

in Elementalist

Posted by: Retsuko.2035

Retsuko.2035

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJBIhdywA05A2fJ4gJwhJWaAM3L7m9zKUACAfQijwM4HA-TlCXABku/Asq/8gSQhVGQ7JAg3HAAAKhkTpgo6BMQJTAAEAH9oH9oH9oRKgMHDA-w

Purpose of this build is to create a dagger/warhorn tempest that can cruise through casual open world PvE content. Basically a solid build with enough dps but also enough survivability and sustain so you can simply cruise through the content with ease and even be tanky if I switch to focus if I want to.

Would also like to use this build for fun as midline to front tempest in WvW zerg content.

Here to ask for ideas, advise or tips regarding this build and its purpose. If something doesn’t make sense, I would love to know. And is lack of healing power alright?

edit:
Alternative http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJBIhdywA05A2fJ4gJwhJWaAMhCQA4D6eZ3sfWijwM4HA-TliXABEokZAlCiu/guPAAHUCCsyAYV/BU9AAoES2TAApAycMA-w

Thanks

Retsu ~ Inner Monkey [IM] ~ Piken Square

(edited by Retsuko.2035)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

on the WvW front you don’t nearly have enough toughness nor do you have enough vitality to actually survive in the front line and it would be hard in the middle. In addition to this your damage is a little on the low end. I’d think that most WvW front/mid eles would take focus because of its usefulness in projectile destruction and defense. Also, you went over the boon duration cap. 68.8% is way too high as you will likely get a Rev pulsing naturalistic resonance which is +50%. You don’t need sigil of concentration either.

Open world is pretty easy so in all honesty going full zerk with scholar runes should be easy enough. Fire, air, tempest (elemental bastion is still good). If you need more healing you can always use glyph of elementals. Generally condi clear isn’t needed all that much in PvE as if you learn to dodge you’ll be fine. Even if you don’t learn to dodge you’ll be fine. If things die before you do you are doing your job properly. As for air…take Ferocious winds. The extra damage is most certainly important. Harmonious conduit makes sure you can actually have your overload go off and stacking that buff+fresh air buff (swap to fire after OL Air → wildfire → Burning speed, swap to Air before it hits → You just successfully made burning speed which hits hard do 20% extra damage.). Water is unfortunately very iffy if you want to take it and while it won’t really hurt you one way or the other in PvE at least take aquamancer’s training if you refuse to take fire.

As for your utilities…Taking signet of fire, glyph of storms, and either lightning flash or FtB! should work just fine. Ether renewal is a bit of a long cast for healing and during that time you are most certainly not doing damage. You’re likely to get hit with a stray hit and lose more hp than you just gained.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Retsuko.2035

Retsuko.2035

Thanks for the feedback
The alternative build is the build that really matters. Find it better over the initial one I posted. Anyways, some responses from me.

on the WvW front you don’t nearly have enough toughness nor do you have enough vitality to actually survive in the front line and it would be hard in the middle. In addition to this your damage is a little on the low end. I’d think that most WvW front/mid eles would take focus because of its usefulness in projectile destruction and defense. Also, you went over the boon duration cap. 68.8% is way too high as you will likely get a Rev pulsing naturalistic resonance which is +50%. You don’t need sigil of concentration either.

You’re saying that I have too low survivability and damage on the low side? You do realize it’s nearly impossible to increase both (with runes/sigils disregarded). I’m aware of the boon duration cap and revenant’s usefulness. The alternative build has 55% boon duration, making it 88% with concentration. It takes in mind that I get that in PvE without revenant buffs. The boon duration buffs on my build are from food and traits as well, so it’s easy to replace them for another. For example, the food I’m using in the build is mussels gnashblade, replacing it with mussel soup would give me more vitality and I’ll keep the 10% damage reduction, which is also useful for survivability. In PvE I might be using food that enhances my DPS though.

Open world is pretty easy so in all honesty going full zerk with scholar runes should be easy enough.

I’m not exactly a beginner… I know PvE is easy, but that’s also why I come up with this build. In open world PvE you don’t have to maximize your damage for best results. It’s not like raids. Already have the gear and build for stuff like that. Like I’ve mentioned in my first post, the purpose of the build is to have an ele to casually cruise through open world content with ease. From experience I know that this build should do more then enough damage to contribute to the masses (with the right rotations). I agree that with all the old content it would be easy to just go all out on damage with fire and air because mobs from the older content hasn’t been made very well or challanging by ANet. The newer content however, act a little less predictable, where even unpredictable condition is dealt that can’t be anticipated. So if you have no or very little means to cleanse conditions, you’ll simply die a lot.

As for your utilities…Taking signet of fire, glyph of storms, and either lightning flash or FtB! should work just fine. Ether renewal is a bit of a long cast for healing and during that time you are most certainly not doing damage. You’re likely to get hit with a stray hit and lose more hp than you just gained.

Signet of fire is a damage enhancer, it’s useful in a DPS build, but this is obviously not a build made for max DPS I like glyph of storms, much used by myself, certainly something I’d still use often depending on the situation. I’m addicted to lightning flash and FtB is pretty good because of it’s somewhat lowish cooldown.

I have been using WTPA for quite some time, but the nerf to the heal is somewhat of a deal breaker now. Before tempest I always been using ether renewal. I know it has a cast time, but never really found much difficulty in using it. Be it WvW or PvE, always found the time to cast it. The great thing about it is that the amount it heals in total is decent while cleaning condi at a low cooldown.

You do have a point when it comes to the water traitline and whether I need it or not. I should get enough condi cleanse from my ether heal (every 18 seconds). But I guess it’s also a matter of what would I need for certain situations.

You must be wondering, why give counter arguments? it’s my way to discuss and think of my build and see if there are flaws in my ideas. So thanks

Retsu ~ Inner Monkey [IM] ~ Piken Square

in Elementalist

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

Thanks for the feedback
The alternative build is the build that really matters. Find it better over the initial one I posted. Anyways, some responses from me.

You’re saying that I have too low survivability and damage on the low side? You do realize it’s nearly impossible to increase both (with runes/sigils disregarded). I’m aware of the boon duration cap and revenant’s usefulness. The alternative build has 55% boon duration, making it 88% with concentration. It takes in mind that I get that in PvE without revenant buffs. The boon duration buffs on my build are from food and traits as well, so it’s easy to replace them for another. For example, the food I’m using in the build is mussels gnashblade, replacing it with mussel soup would give me more vitality and I’ll keep the 10% damage reduction, which is also useful for survivability. In PvE I might be using food that enhances my DPS though.

Open world is pretty easy so in all honesty going full zerk with scholar runes should be easy enough.

I’m not exactly a beginner… I know PvE is easy, but that’s also why I come up with this build. In open world PvE you don’t have to maximize your damage for best results. It’s not like raids. Already have the gear and build for stuff like that. Like I’ve mentioned in my first post, the purpose of the build is to have an ele to casually cruise through open world content with ease. From experience I know that this build should do more then enough damage to contribute to the masses (with the right rotations). I agree that with all the old content it would be easy to just go all out on damage with fire and air because mobs from the older content hasn’t been made very well or challanging by ANet. The newer content however, act a little less predictable, where even unpredictable condition is dealt that can’t be anticipated. So if you have no or very little means to cleanse conditions, you’ll simply die a lot.

Signet of fire is a damage enhancer, it’s useful in a DPS build, but this is obviously not a build made for max DPS I like glyph of storms, much used by myself, certainly something I’d still use often depending on the situation. I’m addicted to lightning flash and FtB is pretty good because of it’s somewhat lowish cooldown.

I have been using WTPA for quite some time, but the nerf to the heal is somewhat of a deal breaker now. Before tempest I always been using ether renewal. I know it has a cast time, but never really found much difficulty in using it. Be it WvW or PvE, always found the time to cast it. The great thing about it is that the amount it heals in total is decent while cleaning condi at a low cooldown.

You do have a point when it comes to the water traitline and whether I need it or not. I should get enough condi cleanse from my ether heal (every 18 seconds). But I guess it’s also a matter of what would I need for certain situations.

You must be wondering, why give counter arguments? it’s my way to discuss and think of my build and see if there are flaws in my ideas. So thanks

By going for a halfway point you succeed at doing neither job well. You don’t NEED boon duration. I hardly can see where exactly you would get the boons that you output to make that boon duration worth it, you have zero healing power to make regen heal a ton and you simply apply a lot of boons through auras. Problem is that no amount of rotations are going to make up for the stats that you’re missing. The extra regen won’t help you, it doesn’t heal enough. The extra vigor would be worth it, except you’re giving up a straight 10% damage boost and insurance your overloads actually go off. Extra fury is alright but without crit damage what will 20% crit do for you? Ferocious winds would equal a 12% damage boost on your current gear and more if you had something with more crit chance.

Truth is you can run anything in open world but if you choose to run a tanky build don’t expect to actually be useful in anything that isn’t faceroll(which in that case you could run without any gear and still win). Your crit chance is 50% ish which I guess is alright but at the same time you don’t really get all that much crit damage. With your build you end up at sub 190 which is about 30-40% less dps for a little extra health and toughness that in the end won’t really matter.

Again – Frontliners in WvW have at the bare minimum 3k Armor. Getting that with decent health on an Ele is a very difficult task. Even more so bc you actually try to put some damage in it. I would not be able to suggest either of your builds in good conscience for either of those game modes and you’re better off making dedicated sets for each mode.

As for healing…Don’t run Ether Renewal in PvE. You don’t need the condi clear, the time you spend channeling it is enough to get hit once (thus nullifying any heal you did get) and just take the healing glyph. In WvW at least it is somewhat legitimate but I’d rather take a burst heal and re-trait air to Earth for condi clear in addition to what water provides.

If you are fully willing to ignore my suggestions go ahead and make the build. I mean why ask for advice if you won’t take it?

in Elementalist

Posted by: HiggsBoson.1976

HiggsBoson.1976

Looks good, as I ran something similar for solo PvE content e.g. Bloodstone Fen. Gear choices could be simpler though.

My default Utility loadout for solo PvE and WvW is the same as yours (Aftershock, Feel the Burn, and Lightning Flash). There’s no reason not to run Wash the Pain Away though, it’s too good.

You seem too concentrated on Boon Duration, but it really doesn’t matter enough to go out of your way for it. You’ll generate infinite Fury/Swiftness/Vigor/Regen if you want it already.

And if the concern is to faceroll, you HAVE to take Elemental Bastion over Imbued Melodies. Here’s how it works: you have TWO auto-procs of Frost Aura. When they happen, Elemental Bastion kicks in to top you off back over the threshold. It’s really, really good, and no amount of boon duration will make up for how good it is.

And finally, don’t forget the last trait on Water can be swapped based on your situation, all 3 are useful.

Gear: Having a Marauder set with Durability runes is a good base for multi-mode use. Round it out with 5 Celestial trinkets, which is more than enough to make Fresh Air work and very safe for facerolling PvE content. Swap to Cleric trinkets for even more Healing support, you’ll be more than fine running Fresh Air, or swap to Zerk trinkets for a near-classic DPS build. For Weapons, just go with Zerk Force + Accuracy unless you need them for a specific meta or situation. If you get Zealots weapons, I recommend Water + Renewal.

Also, Rebound is boring, run FGS because it is awesome (and will save your life far more times than Rebound will).

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJBIhdSfJ05A2fJ4gJwHBWaAMijwMYQKUACAfQ3L7md0C-T1BBQBKU9nA8AAOjSQAcCAMjyv8oHgf7PIAIG-w

(edited by HiggsBoson.1976)