[PvP] Shouts vs. Cantrips

in Elementalist

Posted by: Koviko.3248

Koviko.3248

Are any Tempests running builds without Cantrips? If so, how are you dealing with Dragonhunter traps and Chronomancer wells?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

on minstrel you facetank them and dont give a kitty at all.

on other builds: no other builds are viable.

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

in Elementalist

Koviko.3248

I considered running those when I was first testing out Tempest, but figured it’d be too weak to be useful.

How is it feeling for you? Do you run D/F with it?

in Elementalist

Jekkt.6045

scepter/focus with soldier runes lightning flash and 2 low cd shouts and rebound.. just because it also cleanses a condi..

right now there is nothing more useful for ele than minstrel tempest.
celestial tempest is bad because you literally can’t kill anything on it.
marauder tempest is even worse because you don’t have any sustain.

minstrel has good survivability, is basically unkillable in a 1v1 if you’re forced to take one, has very good aoe group heal and cleanse (i get like 400k ally healing in a match when i’m in teamfights the whole time).

scepter because water trident is better and the ranged air blinds are really good. you do lose shocking aura on dagger but it’s worth it imo.

the downside of it is that if you have stupid team mates the matches usually end with you losing.

(edited by Jekkt.6045)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

I use 2 of each

Lightning flash
“Aftershock”
Armor of earth
“Rebound”

in Elementalist

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

I run celestial tempest (fresh air) with full shouts with soldier runes and it works great.

And no Jekkt my damage is quite good, I’ll typically have over 400K physical damage at the end of most matches, which is way more than I ever got on Mesmer builds or necromancer builds to put things in perspective.

Minstrels is viable, but it gives your team a rotational disadvantage because you’ll be useless at pushing points since you do no damage.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Elementalist

Jekkt.6045

I run celestial tempest (fresh air) with full shouts with soldier runes and it works great.

And no Jekkt my damage is quite good, I’ll typically have over 400K physical damage at the end of most matches, which is way more than I ever got on Mesmer builds or necromancer builds to put things in perspective.

Minstrels is viable, but it gives your team a rotational disadvantage because you’ll be useless at pushing points since you do no damage.

you have 400k damage because it’s aoe from the air overload. don’t let the numbers fool you. if you break it down to actual damage it’s not that much anymore. i usually also have 100-150k damage on minstrel.

while your build is totally selfish (assuming you’re playing earth air tempest) apart from water overload and wash the pain away, something like a celestial druid is 2x more useful and will deal a similar amount of damage. there is also nothing tanky you can kill on celestial fresh air tempest.

(edited by Jekkt.6045)

in Elementalist

nearlight.3064

you have 400k damage because it’s aoe from the air overload. don’t let the numbers fool you. if you break it down to actual damage it’s not that much anymore. i usually also have 100-150k damage on minstrel.

while your build is totally selfish (assuming you’re playing earth air tempest) apart from water overload and wash the pain away, something like a celestial druid is 2x more useful and will deal a similar amount of damage. there is also nothing tanky you can kill on celestial fresh air tempest.

Nah I do like twice as much damage on tempest as I do with cele Druid, but Druid does more healing as you can imagine. Damage is damage, and the ApE from overload air spam is enough AoE pressure to really turn fights while I have high sustain, so I can do more than just holding a nose until I get focused and killed.

Don’t forget that each shout heals allies and removes a condition, that support is pretty decent.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

in Elementalist

Jekkt.6045

each shout heals allies if you play with aurashare. if you don’t then it doesn’t heal anybody but yourself iirc.

and while damage might be damage it doesn’t mean that you will drop somebody with it, especially now when half of the people you meet in queue are druid or dragonhunter.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

You does more total damage than a Mesmer because the fight last longer, and people can easily heal the Tempest damage. Vs Mesmer, people die much faster because of the burst, and thus you spend a lot more time traveling from fight to fight instead of dps.

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kholdstare.9608

Kholdstare.9608

I’ve had success with zerker, 3 shout utility build with perma fury and auras everywhere.

Weakness from shouts really helps survivability. Air adept for fury on auras. Healing on auras from tempest gm.

in Elementalist

nearlight.3064

each shout heals allies if you play with aurashare. if you don’t then it doesn’t heal anybody but yourself iirc.

and while damage might be damage it doesn’t mean that you will drop somebody with it, especially now when half of the people you meet in queue are druid or dragonhunter.

Are we playing the same game? You don’t need powerful auras for shouts to apply auras to allies, 3 shouts do that as a baseline function of the skill and with elemental bastion it heals them.

I don’t know about you but I’ve had death breakdowns that show taking 10K damage from 12 hits of overload air from fighting cele tempests. It hits so hard because of the HC damage mod, and because it stacks a ton of vuln quickly, so it doesn’t need might stacks to be effective.

Try playing a build before you discount it. I was skeptical of this trait spread too at first.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

in Elementalist

Jekkt.6045

Are we playing the same game? You don’t need powerful auras for shouts to apply auras to allies, 3 shouts do that as a baseline function of the skill and with elemental bastion it heals them.

I don’t know about you but I’ve had death breakdowns that show taking 10K damage from 12 hits of overload air from fighting cele tempests. It hits so hard because of the HC damage mod, and because it stacks a ton of vuln quickly, so it doesn’t need might stacks to be effective.

Try playing a build before you discount it. I was skeptical of this trait spread too at first.

that’s my bad for forgetting that shouts have base auras, comes from playing too much full support with water. even then, the heal is not that much from only shouts with the celestial amulet and the damage that air overload deals is less than just auto attacks on other classes. many specs that see a lot of play right now have ways to mitigate that sustained damage and while it might work against matchups without supports it won’t work anymore as soon as there is an enemy support.

if you have a support that is able to stand on node you can have your other players off-node so that they don’t eat the aoe damage. or they can simply interrupt you.

i’m not skeptical at all, i tried it today in a handful of matches and it wasn’t that overwhelming, sadly.

sunshine is totally right about what he’s saying. as i said before, don’t let the numbers fool you. as much as i want tempest to be good i won’t try to make it look better than what it is.

(edited by Jekkt.6045)

in Elementalist

Koviko.3248

Minstrel is gone now, so there’s that…

in Elementalist

Jekkt.6045

back to celestial. #builddiversity