Q: Why isn't there a healing class in GW2?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nori.8136

Nori.8136

Q:

Sorry I just came back after a 8 month break, still I am wondering why there is no healer class, please help me understand. Thank you.

- nori

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

A:

Powerful healing ruins games, look at WoW and other MMOs, you’re crippled without a good healer no matter how good anyone else is. Not to mention some people like playing healers and some don’t. Can’t tell you how many times people would rage having to respec to heal or be forced to heal because some bosses were just easier to kill with rolling heals.

in Elementalist

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

because powerful healing does bad things to gameplay

in Elementalist

Posted by: Flamfloz.6732

Flamfloz.6732

Apologies accepted.

Aside from that, eles do not know the answer to your question.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

The Monks decided other classes were incompetent so they picked up some weapons and started killing things themselves and thus guardians were born.

in Elementalist

Posted by: UnknownRH.4592

UnknownRH.4592

Why do you need them is the question? PVE everyone has heal enough to kill that Daym AI. PVP some of the trait lines do some good justice to classes that do not have that many direct heal skills. WVW there is a skill combo mechanism in place where certain classes like elementalist has water fields and they place them nicely on the ground and other classes huddle up nicely in those fields and use blast skills to get them AOE healed. Again why do you want them to be there? just for the sake of it…..PUNK!! :-p
jk

Centurion in Balkan legion (SFRJ)
Warrior and Elementalist
Far ShiverPeaks

in Elementalist

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

By design.

/15

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Probably for the same reasons there isn’t GvG or Guild halls. Because WvW is a free for all on a huge map and a healer running around by himself would be just as defenceless as a staff ele.

in Elementalist

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Probably for the same reasons there isn’t GvG or Guild halls. Because WvW is a free for all on a huge map and a healer running around by himself would be just as defenceless as a staff ele.

That is not true, the healer would propably be able to out healed the damage. And by the off chance that the healer encounters the staff ele, probably killed its kitten .

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wryog.5073

Wryog.5073

IMO a full healing class is absolutely terrible.
Having healing builds for multiple classes isn’t that bad.
Making a healing build available for every class is good. I haven’t seen any MMO (or single player game) that has actually done that.

Wryog [WBC] – elementalist
Gunnar’s Hold

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nori.8136

Nori.8136

Okay you guys, I truly enjoyed reading your answers thank you for replying :p, really appreciated. And the story about the monks becoming guardians, lol man I haven’t “lol’d” that hard in quite a while, thank you!

;)

- nori

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Join a dedicated WvW raid guild and play a Satff Ele. The Staff Ele’s ability to lay down water fields makes it akin to a healer, and organized WvW groups heavily realy on Staff Eles to sustain and heal up their health through their Water Fields and everyone else’s blast finishesr. Basically, a Staff Ele is more or less the “Healer” for a WvW raid, and any high-tier WvW guild will be able to tell you how important Staff Eles with Water Fields are.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

GW1 had one of the best-executed healers that I’ve seen, and it didn’t even come close to ruining the game. The only real advantage for not having one that I’ve seen is less picky players in dungeon runs.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

GW1 had one of the best-executed healers that I’ve seen, and it didn’t even come close to ruining the game.

In Random Arena, pug groups often got one of two things: a group without any Monks, in which case players would often quit before a match could even get underway; or a group with 3 Monks, in which case players would often quit before a match could even get underway.

Monks were also a necessity in Fort Aspenwood, dungeons, and end-level PvE content. Even if this Monk was a Hero or a henchman, you had to have one to avoid a complete party wipe. In many cases, you had to have multiple Monks.

The class was well-executed, but it was still a crutch in the gameplay. The success of a group revolved often around whether or not you had a competent Monk.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Elementalist

Leuca.5732

In Random Arena, pug groups often got one of two things: a group without any Monks, in which case players would often quit before a match could even get underway; or a group with 3 Monks, in which case players would often quit before a match could even get underway.

Monks were also a necessity in Fort Aspenwood, dungeons, and end-level PvE content. Even if this Monk was a Hero or a henchman, you had to have one to avoid a complete party wipe. In many cases, you had to have multiple Monks.

The class was well-executed, but it was still a crutch in the gameplay. The success of a group revolved often around whether or not you had a competent Monk.

In RA, you also sometimes got a team with enough damage that opposing monks didn’t make a difference unless the entire enemy team had them, in which case they would often resign.

The same situation was frequent in FA, JQ, etc.

The funny thing is that monks kept the same level of importance pretty much throughout all parts of the game, but in high-level pvp your team relied more on proper execution from your front/mid-line to win games.

I’m not sure what your point is though; we have that kind of situation where specific specs are called for in most areas of the game; it’s just not at the same level of requirement. Breaking the trinity was a give/take situation, not a win/win choice.

in Elementalist

Imagi.4561

I’m not sure what your point is though

My point is that, as Sunshine stated earlier, in Guild Wars your team was often crippled without a good healer. You’re quite right in saying that this was not true across all areas of Guild Wars, or under all circumstances. But, generally, it was true. Objectively, that means Monks “ruined” Guild wars as much as healing classes have “ruined” any other game.

#ELEtism

in Elementalist

Leuca.5732

My point is that, as Sunshine stated earlier, in Guild Wars your team was often crippled without a good healer. You’re quite right in saying that this was not true across all areas of Guild Wars, or under all circumstances. But, generally, it was true. Objectively, that means Monks “ruined” Guild wars as much as healing classes have “ruined” any other game.

But you need the other parts of the trinity just as much, if not more so. A team composed entirely of defending monks in FA would often lose simply because they had no means to kill the opposing team.

PvP in this game is much the same; you absolutely must have a certain amount of all parts of the new “trinity” Anet has come up with or you will fail, and certain professions are much more adept at these roles than others.

Removing the old trinity does nothing but create a game that is harder to balance from a PvP perspective. You only really gain something when you achieve a perfect level of balance, which is nigh impossible.

What you are saying is that role-requirements ruin games, but this was not exclusive to the gw1 monk, and it’s not even close to be fixed in gw2.

(edited by Leuca.5732)

in Elementalist

Imagi.4561

But you need the other parts of the trinity just as much, if not more so. A team composed entirely of defending monks in FA would often lose simply because they had no means to kill the opposing team.

PvP in this game is much the same; you absolutely must have a certain amount of all parts of the new “trinity” Anet has come up with or you will fail, and certain professions are much more adept at these roles than others.

Removing the old trinity does nothing but create a game that is harder to balance from a PvP perspective. You only really gain something when you achieve a perfect level of balance, which is nigh impossible.

What you are saying is that role-requirements ruin games, but this was not exclusive to the gw1 monk, and it’s not even close to be fixed in gw2.

I never said that role requirements ruin games. I said that Monks are a crutch in gameplay, which is true. And you’re right that other roles are just as necessary; I said as much when I mentioned the 3-Monk group in RA. However, a DPS role can be filled by a variety of classes, including smiting Monks. A healing role is much more difficult to fill.

Removing the trinity can make balance more difficult, but to me that only means the gaming industry is more used to balancing around the trinity dynamic. It’s possible that, with time and the release of more games that lack the trinity, balancing will be equally smooth for both types of games. I am looking forward to that era of games.

#ELEtism