RTL freezing. How to fix?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Desperate, have no idea how to fix it.

I use RTL and it just freezes my character and I can’t keep moving forward. Never used to happen before but it just disables movement so that I can’t keep moving in a continuous motion. If I cast it with autorun enabled it disables it, and if I cast it w/o autorun I just can’t move unless I spam space or something.

It’s driving me mad because I spent literally over 30 minutes repeatedly doing the exact same things as I did in this video not too long ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n0Rcr78EvE

As you can see my character doesn’t stop moving after I cast the RTL. Tonight ingame I wasn’t able to repeat the same standard behavior that I’m used to.

Anyone know why/what causes this to happen?

The only thing differently that I’ve done with my setup lately is that I purchased a new router today and lag much less, but I have no idea why that would cause a skill ingame to not work properly.

Any help is appreciated.

P.S. this isn’t possible to do if you can’t move forward continuously from start to finish with my method, and as it is right now I need to waste ~0.5-1 seconds spamming space to unfreeze my character before it lets me move forward…

Spamming strafe keys works too but for some reason it’s not letting me move forward immediately after casting.

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bluefox.9580

Bluefox.9580

I frequently run into a bug where I don’t move at all when pressing forward. I don’t know how to replicate it, but it won’t go away until you stop and move again. This glitch is also responsible for many leap fails where you don’t go anywhere. It could be a latency related issue, then again it could just be some crappy coding somewhere. AFAIK it’s simply another movement related thing we have to suffer with.

Bluefox Matari – Elementalist – Maguuma

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It does this bug since they nerfed the skill recharge and range over a year ago.

That what was an amazing skill once to move around with.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I frequently run into a bug where I don’t move at all when pressing forward. I don’t know how to replicate it, but it won’t go away until you stop and move again. This glitch is also responsible for many leap fails where you don’t go anywhere. It could be a latency related issue, then again it could just be some crappy coding somewhere. AFAIK it’s simply another movement related thing we have to suffer with.

YES this is what I’m talking about.

So I presume based off of your response that there’s nothing I can do to avoid it happening… sigh.

The weird thing is this wasn’t happening 100% of the time for me at all prior to changing to this new router I got yesterday. I lag less than before so I don’t understand how it could be related.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bluefox.9580

Bluefox.9580

Some information you see is 100% client side while some information is sent from your client to the server. Sometimes the client and server have different information based on the time it takes for your signal to reach it (ping) and update the server to what you see on your client, or vise versa. A larger ping might result in your client running more smoothly and the server catching up behind the scenes properly, allowing some room for errors and corrections on the part of the server. For example, with 200 ping you might run smoothly for 5 seconds on your screen, but on the server you’re running all sorts of weird directions and bouncing around as it constantly catches up to what your client sees. You can see this with other players when they’re laging badly. With, say, 20 ping, the communication is much more rapid and the server can keep up easier. This can result in glitches not being corrected for by your client before the server reacts and messes with your client, thus a bug is noticed on your end. Some times the server forces your client to back up as well, causing the blink “go back to start” bug thanks to bad ping.

At least that’s my theory. I’m not educated in these matters, but I’ve observed these things for quite a few years now.

Bluefox Matari – Elementalist – Maguuma

in Elementalist

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

The only consistent way I manage to avoid this with RTL is to not hold any of the mouse buttons until the skills animation is done.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

I used to hate this bug too, but now in addition to pressing the forward key I press both mouse buttons during the RtL animation (which is a move forward command) and this solves the problem most of the time.

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter