Rate this staff build for Dec10 patch

in Elementalist

Posted by: CMstorm.8679

CMstorm.8679

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEAQFAWhImMbyx4gjDAhHEoQCiCWUeEzN1A-jwBB4fAkIAJfFRjtKsIasKGY6TER1eeFRrWKgIWGB-e

30/10/0/0/30 for my fire line, i’ll have Internal Fire(vi) the new Burning Fire trait(ii) and for now I just threw spell slinger as my master trait instead of the current Burning Fire and my GM is Pyromancers puissance.

this staff build will be for Pve and I think that with the buff to Arcane Retribution, it’ll be a decent setup as it offers a lot of might from runes, sigil, and glyph. And I might put blasting staff in for Arcane Mastery when the patch takes effect.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Anierna.6918

Anierna.6918

The current PvE staff meta is 30/20/10/10/0, found here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/The-Ele-Meta-Dungeon-Speed-Runs/first#post3112688

This will remain the meta after the Dec 10th patch; in fact, it will be getting buffed since the minor 25 damage modifier in Fire will be increased from 5% to 10%, and atunement CD’s for zero in Arcana will be lowered from 16 secs to 13 secs.

You mentioned might stacking in the original post. Trying to might stack with staff is ridiculous; it’s like trying to out-condi-dmg a necro as an ele. It’s a fool’s errand. If might stacking is important to you, use a s/x LH build.

EDIT: In PvE, you do not need Blasting Staff. But if you want it for some reason, it is getting moved down to Adept, so you can go 30/10/10/10/10.

(edited by Anierna.6918)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zelyhn.8069

Zelyhn.8069

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEAQFAWhImMbyx4gjDAhHEoQCiCWUeEzN1A-jwBB4fAkIAJfFRjtKsIasKGY6TER1eeFRrWKgIWGB-e

30/10/0/0/30 for my fire line, i’ll have Internal Fire(vi) the new Burning Fire trait(ii) and for now I just threw spell slinger as my master trait instead of the current Burning Fire and my GM is Pyromancers puissance.

this staff build will be for Pve and I think that with the buff to Arcane Retribution, it’ll be a decent setup as it offers a lot of might from runes, sigil, and glyph. And I might put blasting staff in for Arcane Mastery when the patch takes effect.

What kind of PvE do you play and with what kind of team mates?

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

in Elementalist

CMstorm.8679

What kind of PvE do you play and with what kind of team mates?

I haven’t been on in the last few months, but i’ve only been keeping up with living story updates/patches etc and watching Ostrich Eggs/GW2PVPTV, Blackhive, and Coffeerages’ Twitch streams whenever they’re on.

I dont do Wvwvw yet. I left off with my elementalist who i’m still leveling with at like lvl 40 or something. And i’ve just been running with some champ trains/chain events etc, and my guild, Tail Swishers, is really helpful, fast and efficient when they’re lvling ppl.

in Elementalist

Zelyhn.8069

Then Anierna’s statement does not apply to you

Good luck leveling your ele, I am sure you will enjoy it !

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

in Elementalist

CMstorm.8679

Then Anierna’s statement does not apply to you

Good luck leveling your ele, I am sure you will enjoy it !

thanks, but what do you think about it?
Also, what kind of staff build will work for fractals?

in Elementalist

Zelyhn.8069

I can not say. My personal conviction is that staff is not the best choice for fractals. If you want to use it anyway then hopefully an adept of this weapon will advise you

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

in Elementalist

CMstorm.8679

I can not say. My personal conviction is that staff is not the best choice for fractals. If you want to use it anyway then hopefully an adept of this weapon will advise you

“adept” lol. But i was just curious about how effective it would be, though there are some ppl who do well with staff in fractals. but thanks anyway

in Elementalist

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Personally I think you’d struggle in fractals – I run Staff and my traits are 0/0/30/20/20 (which I realise looks really odd to a lot of people).

Your build is glass and fractals will break you >.>

BUT! There is absolutely NO reason for you to not give this build a go. The build I run is unconventional and certainly not meta, but I really really enjoy running it. My point is that meta builds are something for the masses – they don’t automatically make any non-meta build unusable or illogical. So give the build you’re suggesting a try, you will very quickly figure out if it works for you or not and if not then you can tweak it until it’s just right.

in Elementalist

CMstorm.8679

yeah it is a little bit glassy, but once I get at least lvl60, so i can use all my traits, i’ll try it with some of the lower fractals.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

lol i run 30 10 10 10 10 with staff right now in soloq, insane aoe damage.
engis elite got wiped instantly after usage because my aoe was up and won a 1v1 at treb lol…meteor rain does 4.5k on mesmers per fire ball. and my downed stat lava can wipe a team if well positioned. lol but that’s just pvp, my ele is only lv33 pve, but downstat lava saved my kitten so many times

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

(edited by Lighter.5631)

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

You mentioned might stacking in the original post. Trying to might stack with staff is ridiculous; it’s like trying to out-condi-dmg a necro as an ele. It’s a fool’s errand.

It’s not impossible, just a little different. If you’re stacking, chances are high you’ll have more blast finishers from your team anyway, so it’s debatable whether the extra blasts from scepter will do all that much. You’ll probably hit the cap with staff too.

EDIT: In PvE, you do not need Blasting Staff. But if you want it for some reason, it is getting moved down to Adept, so you can go 30/10/10/10/10.

Blasting Staff increases the damage from Meteor Shower because your target will get hit by more meteors. Seeing as how it’s staff’s biggest hitter by far, it can be worth bringing Blasting Staff just for that.

what kind of staff build will work for fractals?

It depends on what the upcoming changes will throw at us. But rest assured, you can do well with a staff in fractals for the simple reason that it can do a little bit of everything. The weapon is very flexible so there’s rarely a situation where you cannot at least make due. Your big trump card will be Meteor Shower, because it can clear out a lot of thrash at once, but also do a lot of damage to bosses (which are mostly stationary). Static Field and Unsteady Ground are good for breaking up thrash spikes (like the warriors all charging at the same target in the Ascalonian fractal). For the most part though, you’ll have to learn the fractals and their mechanics. Builds are of secondary importance. Most staff builds found on these forums can be used in fractals and be effective, if not always optimal.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

(edited by ThiBash.5634)

in Elementalist

Anierna.6918

It’s not impossible, just a little different. If you’re stacking, chances are high you’ll have more blast finishers from your team anyway, so it’s debatable whether the extra blasts from scepter will do all that much. You’ll probably hit the cap with staff too.

I assumed people on this forum knew how to count; obviously, that was an erroneous assumption. So I’ll spell it out for you.

Might stacking via Staff: Earth 2 > Fire Atune > Fire 2 > Arcane Wave = 6 might

Might stacking via S/D LH: Fire 2 > Fire 4 > Fire 3 > Arcane Wave > Earth Atune > Earth 4 > [either Earth 5 or (Summon LH > Water Atune > 1x complete LH chain)] = 15 might

Might stacking via S/F LH: Fire 2 > Fire 4 > Fire 3 > Arcane Wave > Earth Atune > Earth 4 > Water Atune > Water 5 > Summon LH > 1x complete LH chain = 18 might

Might stacking via War w/ LB: f1 > 3 > Summon Banner > FGJ > Banner 5= 12 might

Not only do you stack three times the might with S/F LH ele, compared to Staff ele, a WARRIOR stacks twice as much might all by himself! So if might stacking is important to you, you MUST go s/x LH. Otherwise, why the kitten is there an ele in the group anyway? Your group would be smarter kicking you and getting a war instead.

Blasting Staff increases the damage from Meteor Shower because your target will get hit by more meteors. Seeing as how it’s staff’s biggest hitter by far, it can be worth bringing Blasting Staff just for that.

In a single-target boss fight, when the boss is of normal-human size, you’re doing the vast majority of your damage spamming 1 and 2 in Fire. Even when the boss is of larger-than-human size, you’ll still be doing the majority of your damage with 1 and 2. The DPS loss from losing 100 prec and 10% crit dmg from the extra 10 in Air, plus 10% crit damage when using Arcane Wave and Blast from Air VII, is not nearly compensated for by Blasting Staff.

EDIT: Fixed the crit dmg increase

(edited by Anierna.6918)

in Elementalist

Zelyhn.8069

Anierna arcane lightning gives 10% extra crit damage not 15%.

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

in Elementalist

Anierna.6918

Thank you. I mixed up the 15 sec duration and the 10% increase. I’ll fix the post.

My point still stands though; ThiBash can’t count.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Da Beetus.1275

Da Beetus.1275

My point still stands though; ThiBash can’t count.

I get 9 stacks of might with staff.

Fire4 > Earth2 > Evasive Arcana dodge > Arcane Wave.

I haven’t tried it but I may be able to fit in a LH auto attack chain for 3 more as well (but that would require some very precise timing and placement to pull off).

I’d respectfully ask you to do some research/outside-the-box thinking before making wild accusations in the future.

Why do those that know the least know it the loudest?

in Elementalist

Anierna.6918

I get 9 stacks of might with staff.

Fire4 > Earth2 > Evasive Arcana dodge > Arcane Wave.

I haven’t tried it but I may be able to fit in a LH auto attack chain for 3 more as well (but that would require some very precise timing and placement to pull off).

I’d respectfully ask you to do some research/outside-the-box thinking before making wild accusations in the future.

I assumed people here knew that going 30 into Arcana for PvE would kitten your damage, so blast finisher via EA in Earth was immediately out of the question. Seems I was wrong again. I should really stop making assumptions, and just work from the premise that I will always need to explain every little thing.

An extra 3 might via EA is not worth the loss in DPS. The extra 30% boon duration via EA is not worth the loss in DPS. If you need boon duration, use 2x monks, 2x waters, 2x travelers on zerk gear; 45% is more than enough to upkeep might, even if you’re not using Embers (which you should be using).

You can fit in a single LH chain – but there is no point at all using LH if you’re in a staff spec. With a staff, your damage modifiers are in Fire. LH benefits most from being in water atune via Water IV, which you don’t have in a staff spec. If you’re going to go 20 into water to get both IV and VI, you might as well drop the staff altogether.

Even if you do use LH with staff (and this is just for the sake of argument, since doing so is a bad idea), you’re still stacking less might than a warrior. And you’re not stacking any vuln, which a war is constantly doing on crit and via axe 2 and mace 4. So what’s the point in even bringing a staff ele? … There isn’t one.

As for “research/outside-the-box-thinking”… I’ve done it. Have you any proof that I haven’t? Is there something I got wrong? … I didn’t think so.

in Elementalist

Da Beetus.1275

I assumed…

I think I found the problem. Since I have no way of reading your mind except by what you post, I stand by mine.

Furthermore, I signed on with the ELEtists because I thought that the focus was on helping other players learn “how to Ele”. If you are an example of the rest of that community then I will not allow myself to be associated with it any longer.

in Elementalist

Da Beetus.1275

in Elementalist

Zelyhn.8069

Anierna, pretty much everything you say is right, but your approach to this forum is quite wrong.

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

in Elementalist

Anierna.6918

You don’t actually want me to comment on that build, do you? Haven’t you had enough already? It’s starting to feel like I’m taking candy from a baby.

in Elementalist

Anierna.6918

@ Zelyhn: that quote may indeed be sig-worthy

in Elementalist

Zelyhn.8069

If you are going to quote me then quote me correctly

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

in Elementalist

Zelyhn.8069

Also I am not pleased by your antagonism and your arrogance.

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Dude, you can’t just quote a guy and blatantly leave out parts of the quote like that.

Stop trying to pick a fight. Seriously.

in Elementalist

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Anierna, pretty much everything you say is right, but your approach to this forum is quite wrong.

Indeed, let’s not make guardian subforum out of this one. I can’t even post an amazing build there because everyone jumps on you, accuses you of trolling and gets you banned. Kinda like Tesla, also a revolutionary thinker, was treated.

I felt hurt when that happened.