Rollback ride the lightning petition

in Elementalist

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

In various interviews it has been mentioned that you’d like to give more professions abilities somewhat like mesmer portals well, guess what ? we elementalists already had such a great tool it’s Called ride the lightning but you changed it and it is now worthless (I say worthless of course compared to what it used to be able to do compared to know)

My point is, please change ride the lightning back to it’s original state !
why should mesmers be the only ones ?
and even engineers have rocket boots so why did you take away ours in the 1st place ?

If you feel like me vote +1 on this post or leave your thoughts behind in a post, keep this on the 1st page draw attention to it, let’s get ride the lightning’s glory back

EDIT:

Videos added for visual clarification as to what is going on.

These are no old videos these are january 30 2013 videos

small gap with jump before RTL: success
http://youtu.be/Dnu3Qkpz1Hg

medium gap with jump before RTL: failure
http://youtu.be/Cdsh_nRPczM

small gap jump before RTL: success
http://youtu.be/Rm5S87lbWeA

small gap no jump before RTL: failure
http://youtu.be/v24wt1Bi82s

Videos before nerf:
the following are old videos

(edited by Latinkuro.9420)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xialoh.7261

Xialoh.7261

I’m just returning to the game….what changed?

in Elementalist

Latinkuro.9420

I’m just returning to the game….what changed?

Ride the lightning no longer crosses any gaps or anything, it’s just like fast walking on the ground even a stone will stop you from moving forward, the skill has become lame.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kallout.5289

Kallout.5289

Gotta agree with this one. No reason why “ride the LIGHTNING” cannot be used to cross gaps. It was that way for a long time, even in beta, cant give me the “wasn’t intended bs”. Its bad enough that Lightning Flash cant be used to cross either.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xialoh.7261

Xialoh.7261

Ah, wow. I stopped playing because I was waiting for ele to be put in a reasonable place, yet all I’m seeing, forum to forum, is ele nerfs. I loved ride the lightning, and they took functionality away from that too >_>. Suppose I’ll be back in a month or two to see where the profession is then.

in Elementalist

Latinkuro.9420

Ah, wow. I stopped playing because I was waiting for ele to be put in a reasonable place, yet all I’m seeing, forum to forum, is ele nerfs. I loved ride the lightning, and they took functionality away from that too >_>. Suppose I’ll be back in a month or two to see where the profession is then.

Don’t misunderstand ele’s are not exactly in a bad position at all specially D/D ele’s, right now ele’s are pretty tough to beat. It’s just that this change is uncalled for seeing as mesmers have their portals and engineers have their rocket boots.

I’m amazed there aren’t many more posts about this at all.
taking ride the lightning from us and leaving portals and rocket boots is not exactly a good thing.

What next ? warrior savage leap nerf ?
seriously give me back my ride the lightning the way it was

in Elementalist

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nanoha.3892

Nanoha.3892

Am I missing something? I can still cross gaps with this, I don’t get stuck on pebbles and I don’t even need to jump to go off edges.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

still have to try

I accept that can be rooted by skills etc, but if its true that is no more able to leap over things as it used to it should be fixed…..

Another unnecessary unwanted nerf…..

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

It works just like it always did. This thread is a lie.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

This thread is semi right(apart fro stupid :P )
Rtl used to curve a lot less when you had no gound below you.That meant you could make some pretty neat jumps and have crazy mobility in spvp maps.Then it got changed and while it STILL lets you travel through gaps it curves much faster and limits the jumps you can make.
But keep in mind that the new rtl also autotracks and homes to your enemy so just try to use your mind a bit before deciding to make a post in the official forums..

in Elementalist

Latinkuro.9420

Doesn’t work !

here is a video http://youtu.be/RXcYLoLJybQ

All I’m saying is why change only ele’s RTL when portals and rocket boots are still there
revert it back to the way it used to be please !

Someone said it only limits the jumps you can make, well, it limits them to the point I’m better of just doing a normal jump it’s the same distance !
RTL used to have a 1200 range, it could close any gap that falls within that distance it even had vertical axis !
now it’s just a fancy way of doing a normal jump.

And Kosbabis
You should use your brain to before trying to insult people just because you feel threatened or do not agree with what they are saying !

if the skill had unfair advantage issues in sPVP why not split it ?
and for that matter how are portals than not an advantage issue ?

You talk about the new RTL

RTL locks on target if you have a target !
if you do not have a target it goes in the direction you’re facing !
and it has always been meant to work this way, that’s not new it was just bugged before as in sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn’t !
but no it’s nothing new !

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

This thread is semi right(apart fro stupid :P )
Rtl used to curve a lot less when you had no gound below you.That meant you could make some pretty neat jumps and have crazy mobility in spvp maps.Then it got changed and while it STILL lets you travel through gaps it curves much faster and limits the jumps you can make.
But keep in mind that the new rtl also autotracks and homes to your enemy so just try to use your mind a bit before deciding to make a post in the official forums..

Yes the auto-track is much better. With the changes on jumping gaps (that were made sometime ago fyi)

Take note that if you RTL down a cliff that would normally take 80% falling damage will kill you instead.

RTL can be engaged prior to hitting water to give u a water speed boost.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in Elementalist

Posted by: Alilinke.7690

Alilinke.7690

Eh, never used it to cross gaps, I always use Lighting Hammer #2.

[nA] Professional Guild Hall Decorator

in Elementalist

Posted by: teg.1340

teg.1340

Technically RTL is a Charge like the warriors rush skill. Charge is meant to travel fast, not to jump across obstacles. Thats what Leap is for like warriors Savage Leap or Eles Lightning Leap or Magnetic Leap.

Sure, leaping across obstacles is awesome fun, but as a trade-off Leaps are lower range than charges (600 vs 1200).

You cannot have it all. Get used to it.

in Elementalist

Latinkuro.9420

Technically RTL is a Charge like the warriors rush skill. Charge is meant to travel fast, not to jump across obstacles. Thats what Leap is for like warriors Savage Leap or Eles Lightning Leap or Magnetic Leap.

Sure, leaping across obstacles is awesome fun, but as a trade-off Leaps are lower range than charges (600 vs 1200).

You cannot have it all. Get used to it.

I’d be happy if it was even at 600 range right now (for the gap closing potential) which it isn’t ! you say we can’t have it all, who’s asking for everything !
if portals are left the way they are I want my RTL the way it was !

more videos coming in after they finish uploading, like they say a picture is worth a thousand words, in this case pictures are not enough so videos incoming !

(edited by Latinkuro.9420)

in Elementalist

Latinkuro.9420

Here is the undeniable proof videos make up your own minds.
I for one want my RTL back with it’s functionality intact.
Mesmers and engi’s still have their portals and rocket boots intact
so why did they take RTL functionality away !
if it was for sPVP advantage issues than I say split the skill !
but than again than why isn’t mesmer portal seen in the same light !

Here are the videos:

Ride the lightning videos by others before the uncalled nerf !

in Elementalist

LordByron.8369

mind that rtl was already changed some time ago…..

it was a straight line once, changed to be a curve 2 months ago……but i could make jumps longer……

those vids seems old….from when rtl was linear.

Have to test it…

GW2 balance:
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Elementalist

Posted by: skinnyb.5920

skinnyb.5920

This thread is a lie. I am doing jump puzzles right now and having no problems crossing gaps. I was in Lion’s Arch earlier too crossing over the water and onto ledges.

It is the same as before Monday’s patch. These guys are just bad at RTL.

in Elementalist

Latinkuro.9420

This thread is a lie. I am doing jump puzzles right now and having no problems crossing gaps. I was in Lion’s Arch earlier too crossing over the water and onto ledges.

1 You obviously have no idea what is being talked about here.
2 new players wouldn’t notice why should they, they never experienced RTL the way it was implemented originally.

3 yes you can close very small gaps as shown by my videos taken today jan. 30th 2013.
look at what happens when you try a medium gap total failure !

4 the older video is how RTL used to be before all the nerfing !!!

in Elementalist

Latinkuro.9420

mind that rtl was already changed some time ago…..

it was a straight line once, changed to be a curve 2 months ago……but i could make jumps longer……

those vids seems old….from when rtl was linear.

Have to test it…

Yes I know it was changed some time ago, in fact it has been changed twice.
I feel that unless someone raises his voice in protest they will just keep nerfing everything and not think about player impact at all.

I liked my RTL the way it was just fine.
it was changed once, and I was ok with it mind you I wasn’t excited but whatever.
now it has been changed again !

This is where I say the playerbase needs to raise their voice in protest or they will nerf and suck all the fun out of the game at this rate.

To me RTL was a lot more fun than opening a boring portal and popping from one place to the other, at least with RTL it was fun and adventurous, sometimes you’d die because the gap was either to high or to far.

in Elementalist

teg.1340

Im playing ele for 2 month now and never noticed any change in RTL. So what changes are you referring to exactly? Please be more precise. What was RTL before and when does it change?

Your post is extremely confusing because you posted it right after the last patch. Everyone excepts something about RTL has been changed in the LAST patch, but thats not the case.

in Elementalist

Posted by: skinnyb.5920

skinnyb.5920

1 You obviously have no idea what is being talked about here.
2 new players wouldn’t notice why should they, they never experienced RTL the way it was implemented originally.

3 yes you can close very small gaps as shown by my videos taken today jan. 30th 2013.
look at what happens when you try a medium gap total failure !

4 the older video is how RTL used to be before all the nerfing !!!

I don’t know what’s being talked about? Then enlighten me.
I’m under the impression it’s about the elementalist dagger/dagger air skill Ride the Lightning being used to cover gaps of space between solid ground, which it still does.

I can see from your videos that you’re very bad at using the skill to cover gaps. It hasn’t covered gaps without jumping for months. I specifically went to the spot in your second video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdsh_nRPczM&feature=youtu.be) and replicated it several times with success. Sorry I don’t have FRAPs to prove it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Doesn’t work !

Um, you made tat jump. Easily.

What you visually saw though was just a graphical glitch. Lots of times when I load into LA, I’ll enter that section and there is no visible floor and the mystic forge is invisible but it’s still there. Another issue was with the camera. Even on some dungeons, when you use screen-shake skills, the camera will occasionally sink into the ground for a second before returning back to normal.

In that video, a glitch made it look like you fell but in actuality, you ended up right next (probably running into) the mystic forge.

in Elementalist

LordByron.8369

@teg

Once upon a time (maybe more than 2 months ago) RTL traveled in a line toward your target.

At that time ele were considered the WORST class, but the skill was too strong for jumping puzzles etc. thus nerfed.

was nerfed again some time later reducing the curve distance but few people noticed…..

dunno if this is the 3rd nerf or not but from what i read its not.
Posting old vids just makes it more confusing (BWE in the title).

P.S. i want to point out how RTL at that time freezed on the spot for 3 seconds each time he got over any sort of floor bump……making the skill a suicidal attempt in pvp/www

GW2 balance:

in Elementalist

teg.1340

OK. From my observations when using RTL to go over a floor bump you will move in a certain curve down to the floor. So its not possible to use RTL for jumping on the other side if both sides are on the same height level.

I havent tested RTL this way since last patch, if anything has been changed. My main is a warrior and Rush has always (since headstart) been like this whereas Leap can be used to actually jump in a horizontal direction.

in Elementalist

Latinkuro.9420

Doesn’t work !

What you visually saw though was just a graphical glitch. Lots of times when I load into LA, I’ll enter that section and there is no visible floor and the mystic forge is invisible but it’s still there. Another issue was with the camera. Even on some dungeons, when you use screen-shake skills, the camera will occasionally sink into the ground for a second before returning back to normal.

In that video, a glitch made it look like you fell but in actuality, you ended up right next (probably running into) the mystic forge.

That was merely a glitch mate did you notice it had the underwater weapon still equipped next to the forge ?

Look at the other videos in which I take jumps with and without jump to both small and medium gaps.

sadly even these little jumps are nothing compared to what RTL used to be able to do before all the nerfing !

all they needed to do was fix the landing freeze after RTL and the targetting eveything else about the skill was fine, including vertical axis which it also no longer does.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Moddo.7105

Moddo.7105

Don’t misunderstand ele’s are not exactly in a bad position at all specially D/D ele’s, right now ele’s are pretty tough to beat. It’s just that this change is uncalled for seeing as mesmers have their portals and engineers have their rocket boots.

taking ride the lightning from us and leaving portals and rocket boots is not exactly a good thing.

Um how in hell are you comparing Rocket Boots at all in this thread? Do you even know what Rocket Boots does?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Doesn’t work !

That was merely a glitch mate did you notice it had the underwater weapon still equipped next to the forge ?

Look at the other videos in which I take jumps with and without jump to both small and medium gaps.

sadly even these little jumps are nothing compared to what RTL used to be able to do before all the nerfing !

all they needed to do was fix the landing freeze after RTL and the targetting eveything else about the skill was fine, including vertical axis which it also no longer does.

I just logged in and tried it. Made it just fine. All you have to do is jump before you use the skill.

I won’t dismiss the point that the skill was nerfed and at one point could do longer, straighter leaps, but that is in the past (a couple of months in the past, and considering the live lifetime of the game, that’s a large leap in the game’s history).

Comparing it to other long distance skills doesn’t work either. Portal’s cooldown is what, again?

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

It’s working perfectly fine (aside the landing control freeze), this thread is misleading.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Elementalist

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

Um how in hell are you comparing Rocket Boots at all in this thread? Do you even know what Rocket Boots does?

Well, he compared rtl with portal, which gave all mesmer players reading that message a good laugh.

in Elementalist

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

To the OP: You had your camera turned wrong…. aim higher and you will manage that jump, I just did it

in Elementalist

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

So you are complaining about a change that happened months ago?
Ok then i want my DT/Pheonix combo from BWE2 and signets that give you 2,5k prec and toughness in WvW.

in Elementalist

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Beside all pathfinding, RTL wasnt removing neither you utiliy skills nor weapon skills. Now it removes all

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

in Elementalist

Posted by: Brinson.7289

Brinson.7289

I thought this was a valid concern until he said “Engineers still have rocket boots”.
If you were talking about real life; then yes, a pair of rocket boots would be OP for mobility.

\-\ Poquito (Engineer) /-/ Tarnished Coast
Not Sure If Serious [BZNZ] ||| Cynical [CYN]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

Here’s a fun one.
Go to the EBG jump puzzle. When you climb out of the well, follow the path. But stop before you jump on the pillars with the spikes in them. Look around the side of the cliff and you’ll see some boulders on the floor. Jump to that and then look into the middle of the big room.

The plateau in the middle there? You used to be able to reach that with ride the lightning. You’d use it and end up right on top of it. I used it as a shortcut every day. Try it now and see where you end up.

There are also a variety of jumps in lions arch that RTL doesnt work on anymore. Go up the staircase by the… bar? I think it’s a bar. The place in front of the order of whispers hideout. From that wooden staircase you used to be able to Ride the lightning onto the bank roof. Try it now.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gugus.1462

Gugus.1462

While RTL still can be used to close gaps, I noticed that they changed the travel-distance that you can cover with it! Also, it seems like RTL is slower since the patch but that could be just my subjective perception.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nanoha.3892

Nanoha.3892

Why is this being comapared to mesmer portal? Portal in no way allows you to cross gaps unless you have already crossed them, rtl in that sense is superior.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Why is this being comapared to mesmer portal? Portal in no way allows you to cross gaps unless you have already crossed them, rtl in that sense is superior.

Should be compared to Mesmer Blink which also doesn’t allow Mesmers to cross most gaps.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kirbyprime.2645

Kirbyprime.2645

Haven’t noticed if it’s slower, but the curve has definitely been nerfed. It’s actually quite easy to see if you use it a lot since you take less damage from fake ( say stairs or hills ) fall damage.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

In various interviews it has been mentioned that you’d like to give more professions abilities somewhat like mesmer portals well, guess what ? we elementalists already had such a great tool it’s Called ride the lightning but you changed it and it is now worthless (I say worthless of course compared to what it used to be able to do compared to know)

My point is, please change ride the lightning back to it’s original state !
why should mesmers be the only ones ?
and even engineers have rocket boots so why did you take away ours in the 1st place ?

If you feel like me vote +1 on this post or leave your thoughts behind in a post, keep this on the 1st page draw attention to it, let’s get ride the lightning’s glory back

EDIT:

Videos added for visual clarification as to what is going on.

These are no old videos these are january 30 2013 videos

Videos before nerf:
the following are old videos

Oh wow, it can do that? Thats so cool!!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Usagi.4835

Usagi.4835

The OP seems quite… angry… or fervent, with all those exclamation marks.

Commander Chocolate Teapot | Prettier than you | Forum damsel in distress

in Elementalist

Posted by: sanestar.8731

sanestar.8731

The OP has videos that are terrible. In the “small gap jump before RTL” videos he jumps first in the success one then doesn’t in the failure one. Well no crap it wont work if you don’t jump. Really, if you’re going to make a video make it constant. Bad videos are bad.

in Elementalist

Posted by: firebreathz.7692

firebreathz.7692

Have you ever thought they need to change it to stop exploits?
it could be used to get out of the map and under it..

and if u say that useless think of the impact on pvp

Im not saying it has, but it might have been reported for an exploit that none knew about..

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zaviel.1245

Zaviel.1245

*fixed, not nerfed. I’ve been an ele since day 1 and have never had a kittenfit over a silly off-hand dagger skill. The only reason you would be upset is if it prevented exploits. OP is just angry/misguided, in no way at all is the skill useless.

(edited by Zaviel.1245)

in Elementalist

Posted by: soulartistrb.7509

soulartistrb.7509

apparently he/she doesn’t, rocket boots aren’t even for gap closing, jump shot works on many things but it still has lots of limitations. don’t get me wrong, they did adjust rtl, but it in no way renders it useless.

Lots of toons and so little time :D

in Elementalist

Posted by: soulartistrb.7509

soulartistrb.7509

fyi thats coming from someone who has an 80 engi, ele, and necro.

Lots of toons and so little time :D