S/F burst roaming in WvW

S/F burst roaming in WvW

in Elementalist

Posted by: TomoHawkx.8139

TomoHawkx.8139

Just a couple of duels I had with a talented thief this morning plus a few other fights, enjoy!
Feel free to leave any feedback since I’m new to s/f (usually play s/d) I make a few mistakes with my combos and panic at times but I’m still getting used to the focus.

[Rain]
Gandara
S/F ele Channel

S/F burst roaming in WvW

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gokil.2543

Gokil.2543

Some feedback:

You’re really quite slow with your combos. There were countless points in the video where your opponent was within oneshot range from an airburst, a flash airburst or an arcane airburst. For some reason you seemed to wait very long until swapping to air for a burst. At first I thought it was to ensure the bursts landed, but after a while it became obvious it wasn’t.

If you rewatch the video, pay attention to what you do when you get initiated upon from stealth. More often than not, it’s double dodging, acquiring target, then counterbursting after a couple seconds. Learn to tab target and counterburst within your first dodge. That plus learning to use way more air bursts overall (abuse that fresh air), and you’ll find yourself winning this matchup consistently. A simple magnetic wave+air swap will hit the thief harder than he will hit you. Throw in arcane and flash and he might be dead if he’s not careful. If you have the time, learning the phoenix flash combo is definitely worthwhile.

Liked the music though.

[Walk] Elemelentalist
Youtube

S/F burst roaming in WvW

in Elementalist

TomoHawkx.8139

Yeah I screw up a few times, I only usually do LF combos when I know I can hit them but with the constant stealth/teleport and blinds I’m cautious to blow my skills with the risk of them missing. I know, it pains me watching back on some of the fights knowing I could of won if I just burst a bit faster and more efficiently (I waste arcane blast quite a few times)
As I said its taking some use getting use to the offhand focus but I think I prefer it more than dagger for its utility and it has better synergy with scepter. I also blew a few dodges that I didn’t need too which didn’t help. I just need to be less cautious and more aware instead of flailing.

Thanks for the feedback its appreciated! and btw the band is “The Asteroids Galaxy Tour”

[Rain]
Gandara
S/F ele Channel

S/F burst roaming in WvW

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gokil.2543

Gokil.2543

You’re welcome, and I totally agree S/F is the superior setup. As long as you have fgs slotted and have good awareness, you can make do without RtL mobility.

I personally run 66002, and find that the increased damage and blindspam are more effective at keeping me alive than a little healing which doesn’t help much on a 2k armor build. Might wanna give it a shot. The burst cleanse from burning fire gives you the upper hand in almost every duel.

One last thing, I noticed you used maintenance oil in your reddit post, I’d strongly advise changing that to sharpening stone, since the overall damage is much better.

[Walk] Elemelentalist
Youtube

S/F burst roaming in WvW

in Elementalist

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

I’m sort of new to S/F ele, so i just have a few questions. Against the thief, it seems like you didn’t use arc lighting very much, but wouldn’t that have cleared the blinds and procced the fire sigil more. Also starting AL then switching attunements pretty much guarantees Fresh Air triggering instantly. How come you use arcane blast rather than wave? It seems like you could have downed the thief inside of SR/while stealthed a couple of times with it which would justify the longer CD.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

S/F burst roaming in WvW

in Elementalist

TomoHawkx.8139

I personally run 66002, and find that the increased damage and blindspam are more effective at keeping me alive than a little healing which doesn’t help much on a 2k armor build. Might wanna give it a shot. The burst cleanse from burning fire gives you the upper hand in almost every duel.

One last thing, I noticed you used maintenance oil in your reddit post, I’d strongly advise changing that to sharpening stone, since the overall damage is much better.

Nice, I’ll try it out! and yeah my prec is high enough so I’ll switch out to stones, thanks.

[Rain]
Gandara
S/F ele Channel

S/F burst roaming in WvW

in Elementalist

TomoHawkx.8139

I’m sort of new to S/F ele, so i just have a few questions. Against the thief, it seems like you didn’t use arc lighting very much, but wouldn’t that have cleared the blinds and procced the fire sigil more. Also starting AL then switching attunements pretty much guarantees Fresh Air triggering instantly. How come you use arcane blast rather than wave? It seems like you could have downed the thief inside of SR/while stealthed a couple of times with it which would justify the longer CD.

IMO arc lightning is useless, the damage is way too low and its awkward to cast. It is useful for proccing sigils, but its not effective to clear blinds (since the thief only blinds me when he’s up close and AL is hard to cast against a constantly moving/dodging enemy)
You’re right about arcane wave instead of blast in that fight though, I just didn’t seem to think of it at the time :P

[Rain]
Gandara
S/F ele Channel

S/F burst roaming in WvW

in Elementalist

Posted by: agroovywalrus.3821

agroovywalrus.3821

Arc Lightning is not useless, it stays casted when you swap attunements, so you can use it to proc fresh air and get right back into an air burst.

Groovywalrus
FA [BLNT]

S/F burst roaming in WvW

in Elementalist

TomoHawkx.8139

Another video showing off some of the fun fights/duels I had during this weeks matchup, build in description and any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks and enjoy.

[Rain]
Gandara
S/F ele Channel

S/F burst roaming in WvW

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

Only things that stick out to me were -

Rock Barrier: You are almost always using your hurl as soon as you put up rock barrier. You will gain a considerable amount of toughness by keeping it up. Some of the longer fights you had, it would have been beneficial to keep the rock barrier up.

Fire shield: I will need to watch again, but i only saw you using Fire shield once or twice during the video. while you’re questing about looking for where to lay down your burst with the phoenix, and you’re still getting pew pewed (like in your fight with the Pistol teef, rangers or engineers) you can punish them and might yourself by using your fire shield more.

S/F burst roaming in WvW

in Elementalist

TomoHawkx.8139

Only things that stick out to me were -

Rock Barrier: You are almost always using your hurl as soon as you put up rock barrier. You will gain a considerable amount of toughness by keeping it up. Some of the longer fights you had, it would have been beneficial to keep the rock barrier up.

Fire shield: I will need to watch again, but i only saw you using Fire shield once or twice during the video. while you’re questing about looking for where to lay down your burst with the phoenix, and you’re still getting pew pewed (like in your fight with the Pistol teef, rangers or engineers) you can punish them and might yourself by using your fire shield more.

Yeah the rock barrier thing is just a bad habbit that I need to stop doing so often and take advantage of the passive, I sometimes use it to bait out dodges at the start of a fight so that my burst has more chance to land.
Also not using fire shield is another bad habbit that I need to quit.

[Rain]
Gandara
S/F ele Channel

S/F burst roaming in WvW

in Elementalist

Posted by: Korimor.2406

Korimor.2406

IMO arc lightning is useless, the damage is way too low and its awkward to cast. It is useful for proccing sigils, but its not effective to clear blinds (since the thief only blinds me when he’s up close and AL is hard to cast against a constantly moving/dodging enemy)
You’re right about arcane wave instead of blast in that fight though, I just didn’t seem to think of it at the time :P

arc lightning is one of your best skills lol. you can cast it while hitting 2 and 3 then swap at the same time and it will still be casting with a good opportunity of critting and proccing sigils as well as proccing air back up…. but if it’s useless I guess its useless…

Maguuma – “The Legendary Guy”
Jedi – Revenant, Tylox – Thief, Roeina – Ele, Korimor – Warrior
youtube.com/user/KorimorSWG

S/F burst roaming in WvW

in Elementalist

TomoHawkx.8139

arc lightning is one of your best skills lol. you can cast it while hitting 2 and 3 then swap at the same time and it will still be casting with a good opportunity of critting and proccing sigils as well as proccing air back up…. but if it’s useless I guess its useless…

I failed to mention that I was talking about AL vs a thief(my bad). I think that against other ranged classes or ones that don’t teleport constantly it can be very useful. In my latest video I use it a lot but as I said it can be situational.

[Rain]
Gandara
S/F ele Channel