SOTG (needed a longer title)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Runamok.9638

Runamok.9638

Give eles some other mother kittening options that don’t suck kitten you piece of kitten kittens. The constant nerf bats taking variety out of the game…welcome to carebear WoW kitten minus the monthly fee.

One Angry Brotha — Stafro Elementalist
Once in a While Mediocre Commander
#ETSummer2014BandWagon

in Elementalist

Posted by: Grove.2835

Grove.2835

The MIST FORM change is horrible. Why not keep it balanced and don’t allow healing or utility skills used while stealthed, under Endure Pain or other invulnerable or escape skills? This will hugely limit the viability of other ele builds besides d/d.
Lowest hp, light armor, less mobility than a warrior(even with d/d and lightning flash), mediocre damage, slow and telegraphed attacks. Unless there are some decent buffs and trait changes this class may just be dead.
The adaptable, versatile “jack of all trades” may be reduced to “jack who cant do jack nearly as well as any other jack”. But the invisible “king of mobility” and “king of burst damage” gets plenty of buffs and creative attention. … … for real?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Adastra.9821

Adastra.9821

Don’t forget they can still bunker. Everyone complains about the bunker being too strong, which is true, but they go ahead and nerf all the non-bunker builds.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Khalic.3561

Khalic.3561

Was it really that OP to be able to cover my heal with a 75s CD? Mist form change is terrible.

Khyla Shadowsong ~ Charr Ele, Engi, Mes, Ranger, Guard, Thief, War, Necro
Northern Shiverpeaks ~ [dO] Drop Otter

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

So now that we are VERY slow, our only option is to bunker. When you have low health and armor, you have 2 choices when combat turns to the other favor (which will happen b/c our damage is so low that it takes forever to kill):
1.) You slowly kit and heal
2.) You run

It sounds like 2 is not an option anymore, as we now have no way to create any gaps. If there is a thief around, you are insta-dead if you try to run. I loved the mobility of the elementalist more than anything. I can deal with the decreased range, but now I have almost 0 ability to create distance from anyone else when tickling them to death fails.

I hope this is the over-reaction that makes eles 100% unplayable, so that they can revert some of the changes again. It seems like they are trying to do too much at one time in nerfing, by saying: a worse gap creator you can use less frequently.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Guns and Giblets.9308

Guns and Giblets.9308

So they nerfed my only viable Elementalist build.

Time to nerf my playing time.

“A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.” -Jewish Proverb

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vanillea.5764

Vanillea.5764

Now RTL just has more counter:

RTL to thief/ mesmer = No Go because they are gonna stealth and you will have 40 s CD.
It is not rare for RTL to not hit, there are so many things you can do so that an ele will whilf RTL. CD nerf + Range nerf together are ridiculous. Not to mention you cannot use it to travel anymore. What is with making thief the most mobile class? It is not like they aren’t not already are.

in Elementalist

Posted by: roostapro.9827

roostapro.9827

Big nerfs, none to very little buffs.

Welcome back arenanet, was starting to get worried that I was able to use other builds, but thanks for the confirmation that you would rather nerf instead of fixing things like viable builds…

Man, ESO is looking better each day

Eredon Terrace – Voladeir Roost (Ele)|Roosta (War)|Error Occurred (Gua)|Àneskâ Necrötiâ (Nec)
RoostaGW2

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

^And more important is what has thiefs mobility to do with bringing eles mobility to the the rock bottom .?
I also dont think people understand yet the impact of 40 sec rtl on wvw roaming .
You chase a warrior with gs/sword then gg
You chase a thief then gg
You chase a ranger with just sword then gg
You chase a mesm with staff+ traited blink then gg
Pair that with the attrition fights ele creates in pretty much any sensible build and its not hard to deduce that you wont kill many if not any semi experienced people there.
I expect people to be really really kitten off when this comes live..
Even the 20 sec nerf was a noticable annoyance that changed somewhat my playstyle.I cant imaging another 20 sec of downtime

in Elementalist

Posted by: Pizz.3698

Pizz.3698

The MIST FORM change is horrible. Why not keep it balanced and don’t allow healing or utility skills used while stealthed, under Endure Pain or other invulnerable or escape skills? This will hugely limit the viability of other ele builds besides d/d.
Lowest hp, light armor, less mobility than a warrior(even with d/d and lightning flash), mediocre damage, slow and telegraphed attacks. Unless there are some decent buffs and trait changes this class may just be dead.
The adaptable, versatile “jack of all trades” may be reduced to “jack who cant do jack nearly as well as any other jack”. But the invisible “king of mobility” and “king of burst damage” gets plenty of buffs and creative attention. … … for real?

Stealth doesnt block damage, conditions or CCs, Endure Pain doesnt block conditions and CCs. The only skill that renders someone invulnerable and still allows them to use w/e is Distortion.

Piiz

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sunflowers.1729

Sunflowers.1729

On one hand I don’t think the RTL nerf will be so bad if the 40 second CD is only if a target is not selected (i.e. if you target someone and they dodge, the cooldown will still be 20 seconds), however on the other hand I don’t see the point of the nerf.

It’s really odd – my thief can still disengage whenever she wants in WvW, and there hasn’t been a nerf to that (that we know of). While I admit that it is pretty ridiculous to be able to say “oh I don’t wanna fight you too bad” at any point, the devs somehow decided that only elementalists will get nerfed. Fine by me, I’ll just keep playing a thief.

Like so many people have said, it also hurts bunker D/D – the most complained about build, for good reason – the least because if you are holding a point in PvP why would you try and RTL away? If they wanna nerf the build then that’s okay, but it’s just a weird ineffective way to do it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sepsis.1564

Sepsis.1564

Who is giving these developers game advice?

Most Nerf and balances are references are to sPvP, not WvW …

Who f*^%#$ cares about holding a point in sPvP, now looks like i have to bunker up more in WvW

So much love for thieves (even tho Mug has been nerfed), where is that coming from?

Elementalist Warrior Mesmer
Bush Hog [OINK] Devona’s Rest

(edited by Sepsis.1564)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Chaosky.5276

Chaosky.5276

So much love for thieves (even tho Mug has been nerfed), where is that coming from?

SPvP, where bunkers rule and stealth doesn’t allow you to capture points.

in Elementalist

Vanillea.5764

RTL nerf is bad. The new rules is: You can chase ele because they cannot escape but ele can’t chase you because…oh because they can’t

in Elementalist

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

Something to point out is, Ele’s were never meant to be the masters or one of the best at mobility, survivable etc. They are meant to be kinda good at it all, which they can still be. it just means they can’t be really good at particular things as per Anet’s design philosophy.

@Sunflowers

Its not that weird, they’ve stated before they want Thief to be the most slippery class and thus be able to do such things.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

(edited by PistolWhip.2697)

in Elementalist

Sepsis.1564

I can understand the nerf to rtl in sPvP, but in WvWvW when your kiting zergs, ANET do we really need that hard of a nerf?

in Elementalist

Sepsis.1564

Something to point out is, Ele’s were never meant to be the masters or one of the best at mobility, survivable etc. They are meant to be kinda good at it all, which they can still be. it just means they can’t be really good at particular things as per Anet’s design philosophy.

Thief best mobility, definitively not eleys

in Elementalist

PistolWhip.2697

They were still one of the best no matter your opinion Sepsis, that’s what I meant.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Elementalist

Sepsis.1564

I predict the patch will lead to a number of unintended consequences.

in Elementalist

Vanillea.5764

Kinda good, like not as good as thief, warrior, ranger and engi? Excuse me but RTL is the ONLY mobility skill for S/D, a spec that the only source of swiftness is from switching to air( or blow your glyph of harmony). Now taking away the ability to use RTL out of combat makes a S/D as slow as necro and guardian.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lenivik.3081

Lenivik.3081

^^ dont forget swiftness from updraft.

On a side note; warriors and thiefs are recieving counters to boons (which eles get a lot of) Warriors can trait 3% more damage per boon on the enemy, and theifs can steal boons with S/D 3. Tied in with mobility nerf, elementalists are getting hit hard, real hard.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sunflowers.1729

Sunflowers.1729

@Sunflowers

Its not that weird, they’ve stated before they want Thief to be the most slippery class and thus be able to do such things.

In that case I’ll just be on my thief permanently. I have little interest in sPvP, and if they think that having a class be able to disengage and initiate at will in WvW, with high damage and decent survivability with berserker gear on everything, is okay, then…fine. Honestly the thief class is just filled with people can’t accept that the class is ridiculously good (not that all thieves suck) and has very high potential, and just use it as a crutch. So thieves get more buffs and I get to run around killing more people in WvW.

Obviously a class that is meant to use stealth as their defense, but can’t cap points in stealth, isn’t amazing at sPvP. But for some reason the devs just say “oh thieves suck let’s buff them more” instead of changing the way thief defenses work.

The balancing is just wonky all around.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

GW2 Guru posted it to Youtube now.
I`d say enjoy, but….

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Salsalol.6185

Salsalol.6185

They mentioned sigil of battle (which most d/d ele’s tend to use) and energy without giving any details.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

Its sad. For a while out of the gate, Eles were meh. Then D/D becomes popular, lots of people put the time in to get good at it, and the whinefest commences from players too lazy to bring the obvious counters.

I’ve seen people complain MIGHTILY that Eles are OP when these same players refuse or are too inept to interrupt a 3.5 second Churning Earth.

The nerfbat hitting Eles is the result of a lazy playerbase putting all their energy into trying to make a fun class a free kill again. The idea that Eles should be a jack of all trades, good at a lot but not the best is great, IF they’re actually good at everything. But these constant nerfs are relegating the Ele to a bottom tier character.

To be good as an Ele already requires a higher skill ceiling than most, requiring the player to master skill rotations, timing, spatial awareness, etc., etc. An Ele can’t sit still for a moment or be killed. The players that say Eles are OP are apparently just really terrible. And now ANet destroys Eles’ abilities in regards to mobility, healing and protection skills, and soon boon dropping via other class abilities.

So what exactly does ANet envision for the Ele? Are they supposed to be semi-mobile arrow carts in WvWvW, with an extra ridiculous helping of a 5 target AoE limit? The way things seem to be going, Eles will soon have no ability to even duel 1v1, much less the spectacular fights you see on YouTube from guys like daphoenix.

I’ve mained an Ele since I bought the game. Its, up to this point, been the only profession i can really get into, and especially the kinetic and frenetic combat style of D/D was a huge part of that. I am (was) moderately effective with it. But over the last few months, the constant whining from bads about how OP the Ele is (hint: it never was, an Ele had to use every tool available to approach auto-attack effectiveness of other professions), the constant nerfs handed down by ANet, and worst of all the nerfs from ANet apparently being motivated by a whiny and lazy playerbase has left me deeply questioning whether or not I will continue to play.

There ARE many games out there ANet. Consider that before you alienate a portion of your playerbase.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raptured.9307

Raptured.9307

I’m fine with them nerfing d/d if they give compensation in the form of other viable builds. But that is not to be the case.

Rank 37 spvp, dungeon master
[HL] Deadly Protection @ Sanctum of Culling

in Elementalist

Posted by: Diy.5296

Diy.5296

If they consider D/D too strong, they need to nerf MH dagger abilities and stop nerfing offhand dagger abilities, because offhand also affects S/D users, and S/D is by no means overpowered.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kirbyprime.2645

Kirbyprime.2645

I just rewatched the SOTG and they really need other classes as guests… they spent like 15 minutes talking about each thief change in detail.

in Elementalist

PistolWhip.2697

Its sad. For a while out of the gate, Eles were meh. Then D/D becomes popular, lots of people put the time in to get good at it, and the whinefest commences from players too lazy to bring the obvious counters.

I’ve seen people complain MIGHTILY that Eles are OP when these same players refuse or are too inept to interrupt a 3.5 second Churning Earth.

The nerfbat hitting Eles is the result of a lazy playerbase putting all their energy into trying to make a fun class a free kill again. The idea that Eles should be a jack of all trades, good at a lot but not the best is great, IF they’re actually good at everything. But these constant nerfs are relegating the Ele to a bottom tier character.

To be good as an Ele already requires a higher skill ceiling than most, requiring the player to master skill rotations, timing, spatial awareness, etc., etc. An Ele can’t sit still for a moment or be killed. The players that say Eles are OP are apparently just really terrible. And now ANet destroys Eles’ abilities in regards to mobility, healing and protection skills, and soon boon dropping via other class abilities.

So what exactly does ANet envision for the Ele? Are they supposed to be semi-mobile arrow carts in WvWvW, with an extra ridiculous helping of a 5 target AoE limit? The way things seem to be going, Eles will soon have no ability to even duel 1v1, much less the spectacular fights you see on YouTube from guys like daphoenix.

I’ve mained an Ele since I bought the game. Its, up to this point, been the only profession i can really get into, and especially the kinetic and frenetic combat style of D/D was a huge part of that. I am (was) moderately effective with it. But over the last few months, the constant whining from bads about how OP the Ele is (hint: it never was, an Ele had to use every tool available to approach auto-attack effectiveness of other professions), the constant nerfs handed down by ANet, and worst of all the nerfs from ANet apparently being motivated by a whiny and lazy playerbase has left me deeply questioning whether or not I will continue to play.

There ARE many games out there ANet. Consider that before you alienate a portion of your playerbase.

Then what do you propose people who main or play Ele for a substantial amount of time who think they should be nerfed, well the D/D spec in particular are? Just amazingly good players?

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Just when I was planning on buying a bunch of gems, I am glad I saved my money! I was really enjoying how fun it was to be mobile, even if we don’t dish out the best damage. It really helped as I am not the best, and needed to run often. Now running is worthless as I can be out-chased by most other classes. I will see if I can find another class that can be fun, but ele is destroyed for me.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

Then what do you propose people who main or play Ele for a substantial amount of time who think they should be nerfed, well the D/D spec in particular are? Just amazingly good players?

Not sure I understand the question, but I’ll attempt an answer. Those people are usually Thief players trolling as Eles trying to make their pet class even stronger.

I’ve played every class. In PvE, WvWvW, sPvP. Admittedly, most of my gametime has been split between PvE and WvWvW. And I can say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that out of all the 8 professions, I have to do the most work, pay the most attention, and be extra careful on my Elementalist. And I’m fine with that. I like the class concept. However, its painfully obvious that even with 20 weapon skills, it STILL takes an Ele twice as long, sometimes longer to kill targets compared to any other profession, requiring the use of very long weapon CDs and rotation of utility skills. Comparatively, a Warrior, Thief, heck even Necros can usually blitz any PvE mob without a single weapon switch in half the time or less.

So while I’m no expert, I can say the Ele even in the supposed OP D/D bunker setup is not in fact, OP. Bunkers by definition do little damage, build to survive, and IF they win its via attrition. In that case, even daphoenix’s videos show an Ele “working as intended.” But because a few Thieves, Warriors and Mesmers ganging up on Excala are too incompetent to interrupt CE or even approach daphoenix’s play level (none of them for example can figure out his usage of LoS) they instead decide to complain about it, vociferously, and get the class nerfed so they can get their free badges again.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

Engis will keep one of their tears for you Eles.

no tears from me, I am all smile

Neither tears from me either and I play an Elementalist

Pineapples

in Elementalist

PistolWhip.2697

@Kaleban

I appreciate your experience but I’ve had the exact opposite. The easiest I’ve ever had to play was Ele. I found thief to be the hardest and also quit my thief long ago so I’m not on some alternate agenda here. After a while switching attunes+rotations just becomes second nature and as easy as anything else in the game imo.

PvE is a poor representation of classes, as its to do with pve mechanic and not class balance. As in, why are warriors and guardians so meta in pve? PvE is about dealing the most damage (high hp bosses) while taking the least damage (high damage bosses). There seems to be no platform for any other kind of mechanic of other classes to excel at. So we can agree there but, I take a different view on whats to blame.

As for D/D ele’s I won’t speak on their damage as I’ve had many debates with the people on these forums as to my opinions on them. Simply put, Ele could rival the best on mobility, rival the best in sustain/survive. Still deal very noticeable damage, whether some would call it burst or not. The fundamental problem with that from an objective view was, they were meant to be the jack of all trades, not rivaling the best in 2 areas.

In turn, bringing down the sustain (Water Trait Nerf, though could of been a more substantial nerf imo, but maybe they know something I don’t.)

and mobility (RTL nerf)

Solidifies their ideas on Ele. To be a jack of all trades. To be MODERATELY good at everything, but not very good at anything.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Elementalist

Posted by: KieronWolf.5108

KieronWolf.5108

I can agree with nerfing mist form so I can’t ether renewal while in said form but the RTL nerf is just too much. It’s pretty ridiculous they even considered such a thing.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

Engis will keep one of their tears for you Eles.

no tears from me, I am all smile

Neither tears from me either and I play an Elementalist

You do?

anyone still playing warrior??

Yes I only play warrior

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

in Elementalist

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

I can agree with nerfing mist form so I can’t ether renewal while in said form but the RTL nerf is just too much. It’s pretty ridiculous they even considered such a thing.

And we know this is the truth. Look healing and cantrips caused condition removal were too strong and we know this is the truth. Fact is pushing mobility this far back either pushes more into bunker or quitting the class altogether. I get what the devs are tying to do but sometimes I swear they don’t play their own game. What does really does is punish us for running /D which effects S/D also. Focus isn’t even close to viable for roaming.

I really don’t know if there is going to be a point in playing ele anywhere and as usual these nerfs were brought on spvp and while I love it there this bullkitten sometimes needs to end.

People say its whining but anyone not running bunker is getting screwed once again so kitten it whats the point of playing this class?

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

It seems to me that the only way for someone to feel there is no reason to continue playing the Ele or continue playing at all is for someone to need to be the single most overly powerful class there is in order to have fun.

The Elementalist for me has become incredibly boring both in PvE and PvP because of how overly forgiving and easy it is. You can make countless mistakes and still faceroll everything once you understand your rotation.

As for D/D ele’s I won’t speak on their damage as I’ve had many debates with the people on these forums as to my opinions on them. Simply put, Ele could rival the best on mobility, rival the best in sustain/survive. Still deal very noticeable damage, whether some would call it burst or not. The fundamental problem with that from an objective view was, they were meant to be the jack of all trades, not rivaling the best in 2 areas.

In turn, bringing down the sustain (Water Trait Nerf, though could of been a more substantial nerf imo, but maybe they know something I don’t.)

and mobility (RTL nerf)

Solidifies their ideas on Ele. To be a jack of all trades. To be MODERATELY good at everything, but not very good at anything.

And this I really agree with. The Ele isn’t what it was supposed to be to begin with.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Beyondthelol.9504

Beyondthelol.9504

They need to change the way ele trait combos work.

Because as i see it, there is Cantrips and auras, and who the kitten wants to run auras.
asides from that theres nothing

Aramir Hellforge
Terror [TG]
Dragonbrand

in Elementalist

PistolWhip.2697

RtL I wager, as hinted in the skill description is only to be used to get to a foe to begin with. Not for extra mobility or escape means.

“To a foe” Maybe Anet didn’t expect this kind of usage and felt strongly against it?

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Elementalist

Posted by: CuRtoKy.8576

CuRtoKy.8576

@PistolWhip

I disagree with mobility. The thing is Eles are really great at healing (water, EA, two heal abilities on D/D or S/D on top of their healing ability). They are great at condition removals and LoS + PbAoE. These factors are to counter their low base armor and hp values (worst out of every profession in the game) and lack of on demand protection (aegis, blocks, etc) outside of Armor of Earth which has a long CD. In most areas they are average compared to other professions. Out of combat mobility I would say an Elementalist’s mobility is slightly less than a warrior, much less than a thief and could be comparable to a few other professions in closing the gap like Mesmers with staff 2 + blink + sword MH. The strong mobility aspect of an Ele just comes from the fact that RTL isn’t affected by chill or cripple which ArenaNet could fix versus just straight up nerfing RTL distance (bug fix) along with doubling the CD in one patch. I don’t mind balance but it would be better if they see how the new distance affect mobility before a 100% CD increase on RTL. Mobility, LoS + PbAoE, along with heals and condition removals, and cantrips are the way that Eles survive defensively in the light of having the worst base armor and hp stat in the game. Now with some of these things being nerfed and nothing else given to Eles people would have to spec even more in certain ways (more bunker? Excala’s new 20 earth build?) or stop playing in certain ways (1vX, roamer are some examples where the Ele will possibly take a hit in WvW). Focus is still not improved, traits aren’t improved to open other options, conjures aren’t good, and other things. So this nerf doesn’t open up Ele builds or make something else great. A possible outcome is that this makes the current build bad and makes other subpar build better because the best build atm isn’t great post patch.

All in all I find that the jack of trades should be that a profession can be good or even great at certain things to counter a significant weakness they might have. In this case, it is low base hp and armor and this can be lessen with the use of like say some heal (but overheal is bad and a waste), some mobility (since they don’t have stealth, juke mechanics [stealth/mesmer portal]), some condition removals due to low hp pool to counter conditions that don’t take toughness/armor into account, PbAoE/LoS to increase the Ele’s defenses by using the environment to its fullest. At the same time, they are average in other areas like damage, range, mobility (both in combat, under conditions [chill/cripple], and out of combat).

The problem is that if you are melee you need mobility to actually do something and at the same time some defenses (jukes, stealth, mobility, heals, blocks, boons, vigor for more dodges). This is like warriors having high damage but lacking ways to even do a small percentage of their damage. Other than that you have to do dps at range where you will take less damage or you will need less mobility because you can use your range to dps someone. Eles need something because their range options aren’t great (not as bad as guardians) outside of group v group or zerg v zerg.

Honestly, I understand that may be your experience on Ele but it is completely different for me. To play at Excala’s level (popular d/d guide author) or even higher it requires a lot of skill. I find thief and guardian to be much easier in WvW PvP than Ele at accomplishing something. A profession that feels slightly harder than an Ele would be a Mesmer to play at Osicat’s level or higher.

in Elementalist

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The Elementalist for me has become incredibly boring both in PvE and PvP because of how overly forgiving and easy it is. You can make countless mistakes and still faceroll everything once you understand your rotation.

So you are saying the Elementalist is more forgiving than any other profession in Arah and 30+ Fotm, you can faceroll there with your D/D bunker build and make everything easy. Really?

in Elementalist

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

Wow, the class that is the strongest in the game, and has been the strongest for 5 months in a row and DOMINATES most of the top positions on the leaderboards, is getting a nerf.

What a surprise, shock and awe.

in Elementalist

PistolWhip.2697

@PistolWhip

I disagree with mobility. The thing is Eles are really great at healing (water, EA, two heal abilities on D/D or S/D on top of their healing ability). They are great at condition removals and LoS + PbAoE. These factors are to counter their low base armor and hp values (worst out of every profession in the game) and lack of on demand protection (aegis, blocks, etc) outside of Armor of Earth which has a long CD. In most areas they are average compared to other professions. Out of combat mobility I would say an Elementalist’s mobility is slightly less than a warrior, much less than a thief and could be comparable to a few other professions in closing the gap like Mesmers with staff 2 + blink + sword MH. The strong mobility aspect of an Ele just comes from the fact that RTL isn’t affected by chill or cripple which ArenaNet could fix versus just straight up nerfing RTL distance (bug fix) along with doubling the CD in one patch. I don’t mind balance but it would be better if they see how the new distance affect mobility before a 100% CD increase on RTL. Mobility, LoS + PbAoE, along with heals and condition removals, and cantrips are the way that Eles survive defensively in the light of having the worst base armor and hp stat in the game. Now with some of these things being nerfed and nothing else given to Eles people would have to spec even more in certain ways (more bunker? Excala’s new 20 earth build?) or stop playing in certain ways (1vX, roamer are some examples where the Ele will possibly take a hit in WvW). Focus is still not improved, traits aren’t improved to open other options, conjures aren’t good, and other things. So this nerf doesn’t open up Ele builds or make something else great. A possible outcome is that this makes the current build bad and makes other subpar build better because the best build atm isn’t great post patch.

All in all I find that the jack of trades should be that a profession can be good or even great at certain things to counter a significant weakness they might have. In this case, it is low base hp and armor and this can be lessen with the use of like say some heal (but overheal is bad and a waste), some mobility (since they don’t have stealth, juke mechanics [stealth/mesmer portal]), some condition removals due to low hp pool to counter conditions that don’t take toughness/armor into account, PbAoE/LoS to increase the Ele’s defenses by using the environment to its fullest. At the same time, they are average in other areas like damage, range, mobility (both in combat, under conditions [chill/cripple], and out of combat).

The problem is that if you are melee you need mobility to actually do something and at the same time some defenses (jukes, stealth, mobility, heals, blocks, boons, vigor for more dodges). This is like warriors having high damage but lacking ways to even do a small percentage of their damage. Other than that you have to do dps at range where you will take less damage or you will need less mobility because you can use your range to dps someone. Eles need something because their range options aren’t great (not as bad as guardians) outside of group v group or zerg v zerg.

Honestly, I understand that may be your experience on Ele but it is completely different for me. To play at Excala’s level (popular d/d guide author) or even higher it requires a lot of skill. I find thief and guardian to be much easier in WvW PvP than Ele at accomplishing something. A profession that feels slightly harder than an Ele would be a Mesmer to play at Osicat’s level or higher.

To be fair, though it makes sense in theory. Higher Health+Higher armor doesn’t seem like an equal trade off for all those assets. Ask warriors. They have both, and they are the lowest tier in spvp, have a hard time solo roaming in WvW, and only excel in pve due to people standing in their DPS. If AI moved, and dodged their easily telegraphed attacks they’d be pretty useless their too I’d imagine.

Though I guess we disagree what skill cap an Ele has, and thief does etc. You are in fact right they may revert if they feel the changes are too severe. The thing is they did the same thing on thief. They fixed culling and nerfed Thief survivability by 25%. They now have seen Culling was enough to stop all the ridiculousness of WvW thief, and so they are retracting it to 3 seconds revealed again.

Our definitions of Jack of all trades varies significantly. As I view a jack of all trades as someone OK at everything, not amazing at anything, rather than amazing at some things, not too bad at others.

If this becomes an issues making Ele a kitten class like say (Warrior in Spvp currently) I’m sure they will revert some of the changes back. Time and patience will tell I guess.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raptured.9307

Raptured.9307

I am fairly certain that this would be the “low” for the class. If anything it means that there’s nowhere to go but up from here.

Rank 37 spvp, dungeon master
[HL] Deadly Protection @ Sanctum of Culling

in Elementalist

maddoctor.2738

Wow, the class that is the strongest in the game, and has been the strongest for 5 months in a row and DOMINATES most of the top positions on the leaderboards, is getting a nerf.

What a surprise, shock and awe.

Wow really? Have you done a 30+ fotm with an Ele before? The strongest in PVP only, last I checked this game has a lot more than sPVP, which only a handful of players enjoy. Yet they are basing their crap balancing on sPVP, while there is already a split between skills but they are still not utilitizing it correctly.

Hint: Warrior has been DOMINATING PVE for 5 months in a row in PVE, what about that? Still no nerfs there.

in Elementalist

PistolWhip.2697

@maddoctor
I’d argue Guardian dominates PvE as its the only class you essentially need for hard PvE Content like high level fractals, but I digress. They balance around pvp yes, and I can see why, its more competitive. Meaning it requires stricter and more prompt balancing. Or at least, that’s probably how they feel.

I’m sure the PvE and PvP splits which they’ve stated they want more and more of now as it’s the only way to balance it seems, will help obscene amounts. It did in GW1. Sad thing is, who knows when they will implement?

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Elementalist

maddoctor.2738

@maddoctor
I’d argue Guardian dominates PvE as its the only class you essentially need for hard PvE Content like high level fractals, but I digress. They balance around pvp yes, and I can see why, its more competitive. Meaning it requires stricter and more prompt balancing. Or at least, that’s probably how they feel.

I’m sure the PvE and PvP splits which they’ve stated they want more and more of now as it’s the only way to balance it seems, will help obscene amounts. It did in GW1. Sad thing is, who knows when they will implement?

Oh yes you are right, Guardian is higher than Warrior on high level fractals. Balancing around PVP is fine, but why are those changes going into PVE too? That’s the big question.

It took them 6 years to “fix” the Ele in GW1, so I guess I can wait… or not.

in Elementalist

PistolWhip.2697

Well that’s what I mean. They should split it, and they will, but its taking far too long. This is essentially hampering a lot of other classes. Including warrior, on the Spvp side., they are afraid to buff it as it will get buffed in PvE too, its a silly system. I’d assume most people are smart enough to know what skills do in PvP and PvE out of habit more than anything if split.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Elementalist

Posted by: Delius.1968

Delius.1968

I dislike all the philosophical (non)aguments / fallacies. But let me give it a try.

As I view a jack of all trades as someone OK at everything, not amazing at anything, rather than amazing at some things, not too bad at others.

Tell me, who would play a class that is good at nothing and mediocre at everything? Where’s the fun in such a class for a game?

By definition, if a player is to have fun, he/she needs to find a way to be best at at least one thing – in order to get some satisfaction for all time put into mastering the game play.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

So you are saying the Elementalist is more forgiving than any other profession in Arah and 30+ Fotm, you can faceroll there with your D/D bunker build and make everything easy. Really?

Yes and no. I use S/D in PvE.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”