Scepter - Dragon's Tooth

Scepter - Dragon's Tooth

in Elementalist

Posted by: Muy.3170

Muy.3170

Does it bother anyone else that the animation of this skill doesn’t sink up with the tooth’s fall to the earth? You literally wave your hand and bring your hand down and the tooth sits in the sky waiting and goes, on what it seems, it’s own will.

I understand the changes would be a slight decrease in the cast time but seriously the skill doesn’t look to be that game changing once cast. Just a quality of life improvement.

Scepter - Dragon's Tooth

in Elementalist

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I don’t really know why they have the skill calibrated the way it is. It should be faster and deal less damage. Any skill that has a long animation time balanced by higher damage is going to be over-tuned for PvE and under-tuned for PvP. They need to fix it.

Scepter - Dragon's Tooth

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Its ok as is but it needs to go back to the non line of sight skill so it can fill that roll of hitting things that most classes cant. I would like it to have a nice knock back to make it a good aoe ground denial effect.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Scepter - Dragon's Tooth

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Dragon’s tooth needs an update for the current level of dps and sustain, as well as something else, maybe unblockable. As it is, its basically unusable b/c it never hits a competent player and not very rewarding when you do hit it. Compare this to something like Rev elemental blast, which does more damage on the first tick alone, takes less time to cast, and has a ton of extras.

Even in PvE this skill isn’t all that great. There isn’t any Dragon-tooth spam build – that would be lava font spam on staff instead. Dragon’s tooth doesn’t even keep up there.

While you are at it, fix shatterstone too. Here is a hint: adding more vuln still does nothing if it doesn’t hit anyone!

Scepter - Dragon's Tooth

in Elementalist

Einlanzer.1627

Dragon’s tooth needs an update for the current level of dps and sustain, as well as something else, maybe unblockable. As it is, its basically unusable b/c it never hits a competent player and not very rewarding when you do hit it. Compare this to something like Rev elemental blast, which does more damage on the first tick alone, takes less time to cast, and has a ton of extras.

Even in PvE this skill isn’t all that great. There isn’t any Dragon-tooth spam build – that would be lava font spam on staff instead. Dragon’s tooth doesn’t even keep up there.

While you are at it, fix shatterstone too. Here is a hint: adding more vuln still does nothing if it doesn’t hit anyone!

Well, of course there’s no DT spam build, because it isn’t a spammable skill. It still adds to Fire’s DPS substantially being an instant cast with high damage. Overall, it contributes to the problem we have where Fire tends to be over-tuned relative to all other attunements, making it the only viable attunement for non-situational usage in most PvE content.

It’s just a badly designed skill.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Scepter - Dragon's Tooth

in Elementalist

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It’s not the animation that bothers me. I gave up on that weapon completely .. even in PVE, you pretty much need a stationary mob to get it to work, which relegates to being useful only as an opening attack. Maybe increase the radius or decrease the cast time; it’s effective radius barely larger than a melee weapon. So much wrong with it.

Scepter - Dragon's Tooth

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

DT is not very good. Too slow cast for too slow drop.
I would lower the CD to 1/4 and maybe the CD to 5s. So its more a fire and forget AE denial.

Scepter - Dragon's Tooth

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It just one of these skills that was “ok” and became “crap” when HoT was released and heavy classes could now do 5-10k spikes in less 1 sec with almost instant skills.

Scepter - Dragon's Tooth

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Well, of course there’s no DT spam build, because it isn’t a spammable skill. It still adds to Fire’s DPS substantially being an instant cast with high damage. Overall, it contributes to the problem we have where Fire tends to be over-tuned relative to all other attunements, making it the only viable attunement for non-situational usage in most PvE content.

It’s just a badly designed skill.

The reason I mentioned lava font, is b/c it has the same cooldown as DT. For the record, DR has a 1 second cast time in addition to ~1s delay on the fall. So its not even “fire and forget” like lava font can be.

Scepter fire is extremely weak, with the exception of phoenix being all that fire does. The auto is hilariously bad, and the extra “fire field” they added still doesn’t make the auto worth casting with its 1s cast time and minimal damage. It literally does 0 extra damage if the target isn’t 100% stationary.

I also think you are confusing fire and air when it comes to scepter. Air is your bread and butter for scepter (and MH dagger too), with fire being your burst (burning speed, phoenix). If you are camping fire on either, you are doing wrong (even condi ele builds get more mileage out of earth auto iirc, but I never play condi ele myself).

Scepter - Dragon's Tooth

in Elementalist

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

DT has one use: PvE ranged burning build

Scepter - Dragon's Tooth

in Elementalist

Wolfric.9380

still to long CT ;-).

Scepter - Dragon's Tooth

in Elementalist

Posted by: dnoble.3647

dnoble.3647

I actually kinda like DT. Im a fresh air S/W which uses air primary and swaps to fire when necessary.

Start with air, use your skills/overload then swap to fire; then with warhorn as the secondary weapon you can use Heatsync -> Wildfire -> DT -> phoenix then swap back to air. Once you swap back to air, you have a bunch of Might stacks assuming you landed DT and Phoenix in the wildfire and got the combo. Granted, its not easy to land those 2 skills in the wildfire and connect with the enemy, but when you do its pretty devastating.

i play pretty much only PvE

Scepter - Dragon's Tooth

in Elementalist

Wolfric.9380

Agree in PvE it works. But in PvP good players are mooving a lot. When i encoutner someone that only facetanks i can get a coffe while he dies ….

Scepter - Dragon's Tooth

in Elementalist

Einlanzer.1627

Agree in PvE it works. But in PvP good players are mooving a lot. When i encoutner someone that only facetanks i can get a coffe while he dies ….

And the problem is that, because of its fickle nature in PvP with regard to players easily moving out of it, Anet has its damage over-tuned. This makes it OP in a lot of PvE content, once again causing Fire to dominate the other attunements in overall usability.

They need to make it much faster and reduce its damage. Or just replace it entirely with something different.

Scepter - Dragon's Tooth

in Elementalist

Wolfric.9380

its a realy good PvP skill to slay svanir or chief …
Give me the 1/4 CT and i am happy :-).