Scepter build?

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: sonicwylde.2906

sonicwylde.2906

I have been looking around for a good Scepter build for elementalist, but my searchfu is lacking.

I mainly do PvE/WvW with some dungeons (I don’t get to fractal a lot thought).

Any good suggestions for a build, gear, runes/sigls etc?

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ptolomy.6984

Ptolomy.6984

What do you mean with a good build? What do you prefer in builds. I don’t want to be rude but without that information it will be hard for the buildcraft people here to give you something what you can use and have fun usiing while still be functional.

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Theres a guide somewhere in the ele forums for pve, and basically the writter (Neko.9021 I think) says that scepter/dagger builds are very very viable for mightstacking and lightining hammer DPS, so I would look for his guide, since he explains a lot there.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

The guide in my sig is what you’re looking for. I have both Scepter and Dagger builds there that I find to be acceptable for dungeoning.

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

sonicwylde.2906

I am trying out one of the S/D neko builds you have, but I was somewhat interested in a signet build that uses the S/D … could I adapt the build to be more signet friendly? (not a huge fan of the conjured weapons, mainly because I cant use them to their fullest)

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Da Beetus.1275

Da Beetus.1275

You might try this one.

WoodenPotatoes knows his stuff and is really thorough with explanations (READ: long-winded), but I always get useful tidbits out of his videos ; )

Why do those that know the least know it the loudest?

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

sonicwylde.2906

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

I am trying out one of the S/D neko builds you have, but I was somewhat interested in a signet build that uses the S/D … could I adapt the build to be more signet friendly? (not a huge fan of the conjured weapons, mainly because I cant use them to their fullest)

Unfortunately, other than Signet of Fire and Signet of Restoration, Signets are not strong enough to have a build centered around them at the moment that I would feel comfortable including in a guide, that would fulfill the base minimum Utility or DPS to a dungeon team.

I’m not a fan of conjures myself (other than Fiery GS). I think they’re poorly implemented. However, the truth is Lightning Hammer’s sustained DPS combos really well with Scepter’s burst. That’s why I always pair them together for dungeon builds.

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

Unfortunately, other than Signet of Fire and Signet of Restoration, Signets are not strong enough to have a build centered around them at the moment that I would feel comfortable including in a guide, that would fulfill the base minimum Utility or DPS to a dungeon team.

I’m not a fan of conjures myself (other than Fiery GS). I think they’re poorly implemented. However, the truth is Lightning Hammer’s sustained DPS combos really well with Scepter’s burst. That’s why I always pair them together for dungeon builds.

Well there is a build that uses Signets but we can’t discuss it without people raging.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

No point in doing signet/auras if you don’t proc fury/swiftness and/or protection on aura use.

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ezeriel.9574

Ezeriel.9574

Scepters were amazing in beta and early after launch. The fire #1 skill didn’t require you to face your target, so when a thief got on you, you could run away while spamming it.

It wasn’t massive damage (mostly condition), but it was enough to get people to stop chasing you.

In Anets infinite wisdom they nerfed it into the ground, and since then, there hasn’t really been a reason to use the scepter, and I honestly cannot remember seeing a level 80 elementalist using it. (unless they were bored in the mists)

The only way to play the engineer is to exploit it.
Playing the engineer “as intended” is simply not viable.

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: BoxaPitador.4075

BoxaPitador.4075

Scepters were amazing in beta and early after launch. The fire #1 skill didn’t require you to face your target, so when a thief got on you, you could run away while spamming it.

It wasn’t massive damage (mostly condition), but it was enough to get people to stop chasing you.

In Anets infinite wisdom they nerfed it into the ground, and since then, there hasn’t really been a reason to use the scepter, and I honestly cannot remember seeing a level 80 elementalist using it. (unless they were bored in the mists)

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: BoxaPitador.4075

BoxaPitador.4075

S/D is used less often in sPvP and WvW (5-10 player roaming) but I have seen it enough and used it myself that I think it has a lot of viability if used properly in the right situations. Here is a link to a very skilled S/D Ele and another link to a decent build for S/D (WvW).
S/D Ele PvP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVE9efVFCwA&feature=c4-overview&list=UU7SoRvXpG7QKN9ZNFgIJ1zw

S/D Ele Build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEQQJArYlMGaOmcw3A2NBApgJjCZIUYRDlHzkjNA-jUyAYsASQAIQgUIkkfR0YraFRjVZjpcXUt6FAA-w

Cheers,

Zing

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: DoomMagick.5963

DoomMagick.5963

Here’s two S/F builds I’ve been using for the past 8 months…WvW and PvE
30/30/10/0/0
20/30/10/0/10 ( for 100% endurance regen or that silly on attunment thingy)
Enjoy or don’t.

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

sonicwylde.2906

well I fine tuned a build that has been working pretty well, and I think will work even better when I finish getting some of the gear

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fEAQJArYhMmebux2QlEAkCtEUIACjHgMCJiCPA-jwyAYrASQAJRAZPl1EogY9sIas6FMV5iq1mAejI7OGyKA-e

so far its done well in groups and solo.

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Kodiak.3281

well I fine tuned a build that has been working pretty well, and I think will work even better when I finish getting some of the gear

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fEAQJArYhMmebux2QlEAkCtEUIACjHgMCJiCPA-jwyAYrASQAJRAZPl1EogY9sIas6FMV5iq1mAejI7OGyKA-e

Seems like it’d be countered hard by conditions. Otherwise seems like it’s your standard signet Aura build. If you’re having success with it though more power to ya

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Scepter is not a pve weapon.

It is a pvp weapon. Don’t use it in PvE — speed groups will kick you because your sustained damage with scepter is terrible. Scepter is a burst weapon with very little sustained.

For PvE either go staff or lightning hammer for damage. DD is almost decent and packs good aoe burst that can be useful in places like grawl shaman elementals, but that’s about it and a proper fire staff spec outdamages, and lightning hammer puts MUCH, MUCH higher DPS than any of the ele mainhand weapons.

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Kodiak.3281

It is a pvp weapon. Don’t use it in PvE — speed groups will kick you because your sustained damage with scepter is terrible. Scepter is a burst weapon with very little sustained.

For PvE either go staff or lightning hammer for damage. DD is almost decent and packs good aoe burst that can be useful in places like grawl shaman elementals, but that’s about it and a proper fire staff spec outdamages, and lightning hammer puts MUCH, MUCH higher DPS than any of the ele mainhand weapons.

Never been kicked in a group for using Scepter even in speed COF farm groups.

Long as I stack might they usually don’t care what I use.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Zenith.7301

Never been kicked in a group for using Scepter even in speed COF farm groups.

Long as I stack might they usually don’t care what I use.

If you’re running scepter in cof it’s not a speed group.

They don’t need you to stack might. It’s called signet of inspiration, battle standards, and for great justice.

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Kodiak.3281

They don’t need you to stack might. It’s called signet of inspiration, battle standards, and for great justice.

And yet somehow we’re still able to kick through COF runs super fast.

It boggles the mind.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: ghettogenius.9174

ghettogenius.9174

Neko and Mamartia have shown some awesome ele builds, I’ve learned much from reading those. Here’s another twist on a heavy signet build with S/D that throws auras out via the Powerful Aura trait from water – I run this in PvE and dungeons currently:

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=Vl;4B2-U0C5gNkY0;9;4T;0T958A;441B4;04N;1J;0PetTvtdbn-knF6;1Fb;0L-Q0VXP2V3a43k-Pc3a;5NV15NV1B;9;9;9;9;0k0;4A-6j

I disagree that without Zephys Boon auras are wasted. Switfness has to be the most common boon out there, plus this build still passes it out through attunement swap to air. I do wish it could squeeze in protection from Elemental Shielding but again it has access through attunement swap into earth. This is a very fun build to run and supplement any group with might/fury stacking, plus the auras are icing on the cake. Works well with D/D or even focus too as you get additional auras to share.

So many different ways to run an ele, I find myself changing builds every few weeks or so.

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

sonicwylde.2906

Seems like it’d be countered hard by conditions. Otherwise seems like it’s your standard signet Aura build. If you’re having success with it though more power to ya

So far its not to bad with counter conditions, although the signet of water is only every 10 seconds, but I do try to keep water attunement free, so when I get a few conditions I swap to that and it cleanses a bit. I will know more when I get into WvW (taken it in there but I think it was a quiet time for it). I am still tuning it a bit, and changing stuff around etc.

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Zenith.7301

And yet somehow we’re still able to kick through COF runs super fast.

It boggles the mind.

Define “super fast”.

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Kodiak.3281

So far its not to bad with counter conditions, although the signet of water is only every 10 seconds, but I do try to keep water attunement free, so when I get a few conditions I swap to that and it cleanses a bit. I will know more when I get into WvW (taken it in there but I think it was a quiet time for it). I am still tuning it a bit, and changing stuff around etc.

Well PvE conditions are nothing compared to the conditionfest that is WvW. My first Zerg Dive I knew that Signet of Restoration was just not going to cut it because you just get literally slammed with conditions. Sure a decent number end up falling off due to AOE removal from others but I found without going for Ether Renewal it just wasn’t going to work.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Kodiak.3281

Define “super fast”.

I’ll let ya know the next time I go farming.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

Define “super fast”.

I’ll let ya know the next time I go farming.

The exact reason I don’t trust “conventional wisdom”. I have a hard time figuring out if it’s right or if it’s concealing ego and arrogance behind it.

Let me know, as I run a S/D Earth/Air build, and I’m very curious how it performs at the higher levels.

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

@Kodiak, its a shame that everyone hated your Conditionmenalist.
I run something simlar 20 10 30 0 0 and 10 spare (usually arcane or air). But more for burst then conditions. I also use the Focus, that will incite the rage.

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: ghettogenius.9174

ghettogenius.9174

Well PvE conditions are nothing compared to the conditionfest that is WvW. My first Zerg Dive I knew that Signet of Restoration was just not going to cut it because you just get literally slammed with conditions. Sure a decent number end up falling off due to AOE removal from others but I found without going for Ether Renewal it just wasn’t going to work.

Totally agree here. Signet builds are hit hard by conditions, and if you dont run with Cleansing Fire or Ether Renewal you’re in for a world of hurt – but then this hurts the whole synergy derived from additional signet bonuses in some builds.

Hell even in PvE it can cause problems. Got downed several times last night in dungeon explorer runs due to running out of condi removal. Any form of PvP is much worse.

Sadly Signet of Water doesn’t really appeal to me in its current state. They should increase the damage a bit and give it a passive healing bonus like the others. That might make it more worthwhile.

I’ve used Bowls of Saffron-scented Poultry Soup on my thief for additional condi removal to great effect. Not so much an option in sPvP though. Perhaps Bowls of Lemongrass Poultry Soup with Runes of Hoelbrak are also an option (-60% condition duration).

Scepter build?

in Elementalist

Kodiak.3281

@Kodiak, its a shame that everyone hated your Conditionmenalist.
I run something simlar 20 10 30 0 0 and 10 spare (usually arcane or air). But more for burst then conditions. I also use the Focus, that will incite the rage.

Totally agree here. Signet builds are hit hard by conditions, and if you dont run with Cleansing Fire or Ether Renewal you’re in for a world of hurt – but then this hurts the whole synergy derived from additional signet bonuses in some builds.

Hell even in PvE it can cause problems. Got downed several times last night in dungeon explorer runs due to running out of condi removal. Any form of PvP is much worse.

Sadly Signet of Water doesn’t really appeal to me in its current state. They should increase the damage a bit and give it a passive healing bonus like the others. That might make it more worthwhile.

I’ve used Bowls of Saffron-scented Poultry Soup on my thief for additional condi removal to great effect. Not so much an option in sPvP though. Perhaps Bowls of Lemongrass Poultry Soup with Runes of Hoelbrak are also an option (-60% condition duration).

Not everyone hated my Conditimentalist build. It was more an issue with people hating me because I like to call people on their nonsense and get into with them as a result.

Even then most of it was regarding two videos one I posted to show you can survive zerg diving in WvW with the build and the other was to show you don’t instantly die if you’re 30 Fire in SPvP. If you really look at what people were going on about it was more ridiculous things like me auto attacking doors (because anything other than a Superior Ram matters on a Reinforced door amirite?). I guess this is why everyone takes weeks of footage and cuts it down into a 10 minute highlight video.

Personally I’m all about functionality and enjoyability. I also play 0/30/0/20/20 in addition to 0/0/10/30/30 and of course my 30/0/30/10/0 builds. If you’re having fun, you’re not dying and the people/mobs you’re going after are dying that’s all that really matters.

That said I am not a fan of the Power based Signet builds. Signets to me are a shakey proposition from the get go. Cantrips provide a whole slew of options (Mobility, Condition Management, Stability/Protection, Immunity) that even after all the nerfs are really tough to beat. However through focusing on enough Condition Duration (which we can achieve +94% to counteract the -98% mentioned by ghettogenius) it really juices up the conditions they do to the point they are now a tempting alternative. A 6 second immobilize is a death sentence in most cases. An 8 second Chill can be the same. Unfortunately Condition Duration often times takes up the same slots we use for +Crit Damage (Runes and Food) which makes focusing on Crit (which is useless without Crit Dmg) pointless instead of focusing on Power. Based on that, it leads me to either being a Power/Condi/Condition Duration build or a Power/Crit/Crit Dmg build. If I’m on the later (Power/Crit/Crit Dmg) then I will likely end up going with Cantrips over Signets which leads me back into the Water and Arcana lines instead (because there’s huge Synergy down there for all that).

By going this route I have found I solved a lot of the common headaches I initially ran into and mentioned by ghettogenius.

Kodiak X – Blackgate