Scepter is still bad

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Decent changes and I am happy for them, but still not that good.

Bad Elementalist

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

… what build did you created in such a short period of time? … did you test it? did the buffs and nerfs that other professions got improved our odds as elementalists in PvP or did it do the opposite?

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

They don’t understand that the water autoattack was not the only one that needed help.

Flame Strike is still hilariously bad and the earth auto is still mediocre.

Dragon’s Tooth and Shatterstone are both easily dodged just by walking out.

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

I think we need to come to the conclusion that they don’t want power ele like burst role?!
It seems they don’t want ele to excel at anything but support, but they still want ele to be somewhat viable in other departments…this is my assumption.

Personally I’m ok with scepter dmg now, efficiency it’s not yet 100% but we’re moving in the right direction, right now we need changes to under-used utilities.

..And sorry..cleric ele will still be the only meta worthy build for season 3

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

The dps isnt bad yeah but ele dps <other dps builds

Bad Elementalist

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Supreme.3164

The dps isnt bad yeah but ele dps <other dps builds

Actually ele (with reaper and scrapper finally nerfed) can play now some sort of dps support paladin-air tempest with soldier runes, the dmg now is ok to justify the build, respect to other dps we bring in condi clear and more support, the new base healing of water trident is equal to a meditation skill which is great, with 0 HP it heals for 1.8k at 20s CD. Will give this build some more testing

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: Alekt.5803

Alekt.5803

I had taken a two month break, came back with all the rust, and can claim that (just for the few games I did) the dps ele survives better due to the other stuff getting the righteous shaving.

Alerie Despins

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

I had taken a two month break, came back with all the rust, and can claim that (just for the few games I did) the dps ele survives better due to the other stuff getting the righteous shaving.

I guess im just bad =(

Bad Elementalist

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: GLOR.2489

GLOR.2489

Actually ele (with reaper and scrapper finally nerfed) can play now some sort of dps support paladin-air tempest with soldier runes, the dmg now is ok to justify the build, respect to other dps we bring in condi clear and more support, the new base healing of water trident is equal to a meditation skill which is great, with 0 HP it heals for 1.8k at 20s CD. Will give this build some more testing

Supreme,

I agree with that the fresh air was to be played in tempest (maybe not with paladisn but more with marauder or one of the others new amulets.

I agree also with the fact that the engineer has been nerfed will make the elementalist fresh air a little happier, but I disagree for the necromancer nerf, as I have been playing elementalist fresh air the all season I think that necromancer was one of the easiest target to kill.

I am also as happy as you to see the trident buff ! And now, as you as well, I will be testing all season again !

PS: there still hope for the elementalist power DPS guys !

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

More boon steal/removal had been put in the game. This is usually bad news for ele. Steal protection and kill ele …

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Supreme.3164

More boon steal/removal had been put in the game. This is usually bad news for ele. Steal protection and kill ele …

But thief is no reaper, you can definitely down a thief before he downs you by stripping one too many boons ^^

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Supreme.3164

Supreme,

I agree with that the fresh air was to be played in tempest (maybe not with paladisn but more with marauder or one of the others new amulets.

I agree also with the fact that the engineer has been nerfed will make the elementalist fresh air a little happier, but I disagree for the necromancer nerf, as I have been playing elementalist fresh air the all season I think that necromancer was one of the easiest target to kill.

I am also as happy as you to see the trident buff ! And now, as you as well, I will be testing all season again !

PS: there still hope for the elementalist power DPS guys !

I believe fresh air play a more hit and run style which brings different results against reapers, but I always enjoyed bolt to the heart which requires a more “build up dmg” style where overbearing condi application tends to kill me in the end before I can finish the job…not anymore ^^

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: Alekt.5803

Alekt.5803

The more boon steal here does not matter if you’re referring to Boontiful Theft: it already prioritized Stability and Protection.

If you’re talking about Sigil of Nullification, it’s actually a possibility for the Lightning Rod eles.

Alerie Despins

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

Anyone else getting destroyed by revenant? For some reason they feel even stronger now.

Bad Elementalist

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Supreme.3164

Anyone else getting destroyed by revenant? For some reason they feel even stronger now.

Do you use stone heart? Do you double dodge UA?

The only skill which is hard to avoid is staff 5, that thing hit hard and almost instant but luckily revs will use it out of a precise pattern, you can double dodge precision strike and UA, strife out of legendary blast with timing, do your best to avoid chaotic release with either a dodge (if you had stone heart to counter UA/precision strike) or lightning flash out of it

Luckily they are far more bad revs than good ones, the first will just predictably unload all burst in one go, which will leave them out of juice after few secs, the latter can be stalled..for as long as one of the two opponents does not make a huge mistake

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

The only skill which is hard to avoid is staff 5, that thing hit hard and almost instant but luckily revs will use it out of a precise pattern, you can double dodge precision strike and UA, strife out of legendary blast with timing, do your best to avoid chaotic release with either a dodge (if you had stone heart to counter UA/precision strike) or lightning flash out of it

Luckily they are far more bad revs than good ones, the first will just predictably unload all burst in one go, which will leave them out of juice after few secs, the latter can be stalled..for as long as one of the two opponents does not make a huge mistake

Does not matter. A good rev will eat a FA ele alive. Hell they can even eat druids alive. They are simply overtuned.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Supreme.3164

Does not matter. A good rev will eat a FA ele alive. Hell they can even eat druids alive. They are simply overtuned.

Well you’re talking about good revs which are not common and either way , it’d be bad for ele , extremely bad, if our dps/burst option was strong enough to compete against a class designed from the ground to be a burst/dps class.

Let’s not forget the “OP” support options of the ele, whose use now will allow us to play a “viable” ( fun) dps build thx to the recent buffs to scepter and dagger off hand.

In the end , for a healthy game, we need all professions being able to play any of the 3 MMO archetypes and in any given role, some will give better results than others

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

I see no way that an FA ele can beat rev atm. but is that really that bad? I mean, FA is a teamfight build anyways and I think it might even have quite a few 1v1’s where it does well or at least can hold the point a bit.

I think in teamfights, an FA is much more worth than a rev, the question is, is it worth playing in a 5man comp, when the clearly best ele build still is clerics?

Gonna definitely try scepter on clerics build though, the on-point/downed pressure is way better than on dagger.

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

I see no way that an FA ele can beat rev atm. but is that really that bad? I mean, FA is a teamfight build anyways and I think it might even have quite a few 1v1’s where it does well or at least can hold the point a bit.

I think in teamfights, an FA is much more worth than a rev, the question is, is it worth playing in a 5man comp, when the clearly best ele build still is clerics?

Gonna definitely try scepter on clerics build though, the on-point/downed pressure is way better than on dagger.

Scepter on the clerics build works really well imo. No one agrees with me because of its lack of damage.

On a side note, I wonder if playing sc/d would be better in this current meta to help combat thieves and revs.

Bad Elementalist

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Wolfric.9380

i always play scepter and when you donĀ“t want to do damage its better then dagger ….
You have range, you have blinds, you got 250 extra toughness and your heal is also ranged AE…. And you can cleave downed from range. No mor jumping into the AE spam.

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

Scepter is about burst damage. Outside of that it could not compete with any other weapon dps. The damage increase enables it to not be drastically over shadowed by dagger auto attack damage. The normal scepter builds condition/FA got a boost.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

Scepter is about burst damage. Outside of that it could not compete with any other weapon dps. The damage increase enables it to not be drastically over shadowed by dagger auto attack damage. The normal scepter builds condition/FA got a boost.

Honestly I feel like the damage factor is fine. The main issue for me is we are at a disadvantage in 1v1 vs other dps classes because we are very vulnerable to enemies that can constantly get within a 200 range of us. We are basically out done by revenants, thieves and rampage warriors.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that is why I think scepter fresh air builds will never become meta.

The best thing anet can do for a fresh air build IMO would be to reduce arcane shield to 50s and have it explode after 3 seconds instead of 3 hits (its pretty much worthless since revenant and thief can hit you 3 times in less than a second now).

I’d also change arcane power to something like "You are healed for 30% of the damage of your next 5 attacks. Your next 5 attacks count as arcane skills.

Change the arcane traitline to promote gaining boons or improving arcane abilities.

Elemental surge will also cause arcane skills to remove 1 boon upon impact (good synergy with arcane power and would make taking it worthwhile).

Remove arcane abatement and replace it with “cast arcane wave in an area around yourself when you suffer from knockdown, daze or stun 30s cd”

Bad Elementalist

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

snip

I understand the issue with scepter and melee enemies but overloads help with that issue. When I use to play s/f a lot, I would lose to melee enemies most of the time. With FA overload I never worry about that because they have to evade out of my field or die. Thieves use to be a big issue for me before tempest.

When it comes to finishing people scepter is the best but in the longer fights, were the more I noticed its issues. I just stopped using scepter years ago, but start to test it out again. I do not think about meta builds when play and go with something that’s fun.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

snip

I understand the issue with scepter and melee enemies but overloads help with that issue. When I use to play s/f a lot, I would lose to melee enemies most of the time. With FA overload I never worry about that because they have to evade out of my field or die. Thieves use to be a big issue for me before tempest.

When it comes to finishing people scepter is the best but in the longer fights, were the more I noticed its issues. I just stopped using scepter years ago, but start to test it out again. I do not think about meta builds when play and go with something that’s fun.

Yes tempest has helped with some of those issues. There is a big 5s window when you switch to air before you can overload with nothing to really avoid being focused except for a blind

Bad Elementalist

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Supreme.3164

snip

Yes tempest has helped with some of those issues. There is a big 5s window when you switch to air before you can overload with nothing to really avoid being focused except for a blind

The only thing you have there is shatterstone, dragon’s tooth and phoenix

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

GW2 will die, and they’ll never understand that Flamestrike must be replaced by a mechanically different skill.

Oh well…

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: mysticsicness.7598

mysticsicness.7598

Scepter is fun to play around with, but to be honest, ele should never run scepter in serious pvp scenarios. Support is just too good right now. They did not nerf ele support build for a reason, it is meta, and they want to keep it that way.

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Supreme.3164

Scepter is fun to play around with, but to be honest, ele should never run scepter in serious pvp scenarios. Support is just too good right now. They did not nerf ele support build for a reason, it is meta, and they want to keep it that way.

They did not nerf ele support build because the entire ele profession rely on that basic sustain to be played, I know this has already been said hundred times but it’s the truth.
The ele sustain is 80% passive you either change it from passive to active or..destroy it with nerfs, in which case any resemblance of dps build from pve to wvw will fall flat on the ground as a consequence….

We should talk about nerfs when ele won’t need healing power to be viable in which case a nerf won’t bring the profession to its knees

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

Well, once the meta starts getting molded in a few weeks expect sw/d thieves to swoop in and counter healbot eles a bit.

Bad Elementalist

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: Grimreaper.5370

Grimreaper.5370

Would rather the heals get nerfed and active defensive mechanics be implemented.

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

I think one of the biggest issues holding back eles from performing any kind of bruiser role, which scepter kind of could at one point, is the lack of a viable pvp amulet.

A bruiser ele NEEDS toughness and healing power. While a little bit of vitality is welcome, it can get by with just loading up on cleanses. As far as offense goes, you can make a build that focuses on power with precision (fresh air needs some precision to trait, but can get some ferocity from triats) or condition damage. Ferocity would be decent, allowing you to rely on fury, but even with fury 24% precision is very little to proc fresh air.

All the “bruiser” amulets (paladin, menders, mercenary, sage) lack either toughness or healing power. Without toughness, ele is so incredibly squishy it just dies in sustained fights (or you trait for 100% prot uptime, meaning you can take no damage traits and might as well play full bunker). Without healing power, ele lacks the sustain and just slowly runs out of steam as classes that have higher base healing and lower healing-power scaling rely on superior stats/damage.

This really hurts scepter, in my opinion. There is too much passive defense nowadays so that scepter burst just isn’t that hard, meaning it is meant for a medium-burst bruiser. However, eles don’t have viable bruiser amulets to compete with druids, mesmers, necros, and even post-nerf scrappers. Cleric is the only truly viable amulet, which means water/tempest/X, where X is either earth or arcana (need prot, and only way to get it).

(edited by BlackBeard.2873)

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

I think one of the biggest issues holding back eles from performing any kind of bruiser role, which scepter kind of could at one point, is the lack of a viable pvp amulet.

A bruiser ele NEEDS toughness and healing power. While a little bit of vitality is welcome, it can get by with just loading up on cleanses. As far as offense goes, you can make a build that focuses on power with precision (fresh air needs some precision to trait, but can get some ferocity from triats) or condition damage. Ferocity would be decent, allowing you to rely on fury, but even with fury 24% precision is very little to proc fresh air.

All the “bruiser” amulets (paladin, menders, mercenary, sage) lack either toughness or healing power. Without toughness, ele is so incredibly squishy it just dies in sustained fights (or you trait for 100% prot uptime, meaning you can take no damage traits and might as well play full bunker). Without healing power, ele lacks the sustain and just slowly runs out of steam as classes that have higher base healing and lower healing-power scaling rely on superior stats/damage.

This really hurts scepter, in my opinion. There is too much passive defense nowadays so that scepter burst just isn’t that hard, meaning it is meant for a medium-burst bruiser. However, eles don’t have viable bruiser amulets to compete with druids, mesmers, necros, and even post-nerf scrappers. Cleric is the only truly viable amulet, which means water/tempest/X, where X is either earth or arcana (need prot, and only way to get it).

They really need an amulet like this : 1050 power, 1050 toughness, 560 concentration 560 vitality. That would give us the old fire water arcane builds back. Lots of protection and might but minus the healing power of a celestial amulet.

Bad Elementalist

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Posted by: posthumecaver.6473

posthumecaver.6473

Honestly I feel like the damage factor is fine. The main issue for me is we are at a disadvantage in 1v1 vs other dps classes because we are very vulnerable to enemies that can constantly get within a 200 range of us. We are basically out done by revenants, thieves and rampage warriors.

This is the reason I asked in the other thread for dps specs, so in fire or air specialisations, a minor trait that will take aura on overload at the start of the Overload casts.

If you play D/X, if somebody open on you first thing you will do pop shocking aura, that will enable the stop the opener of the enemy and start from there.

Scepter lacks that you have nothing to prevent full burst opener on you and then it is always a down hill fight, you can’t kite Revenants, Thiefs, they will just teleport to you.

In current form Aura’s from Overloads are useless for DPS specs, Auramancer needs those for team support but dps specs needs them for it own survival, not for measy healing but real aura effects to survive.

A Shocking Aura to slow them down, Fire Aura to turn defense to offense, Frost Aura for mitigation and Magnetic Aura when Guaardian casting me True Shot not 5s later.

When I play S/X and not D/X most thing I miss is always the shocking aura, no Rev/Thief will let me complete 5s channel to get Shocking Aura.

Scepter is still bad

in Elementalist

Wolfric.9380

They really need an amulet like this : 1050 power, 1050 toughness, 560 concentration 560 vitality. That would give us the old fire water arcane builds back. Lots of protection and might but minus the healing power of a celestial amulet.

This would be a bunker amulet. A good one for an ele power build would be

1050 power, 1050 precision, 560 toughness 560 healing.

And this would also be great fo a condi build:

1050 condition, 1050 healing, 560 precision 560 toughness.

Not shure if another class would get to much out of this. Maybe druid as a conditrapper + staff.