Small Changes to Tempest

Small Changes to Tempest

in Elementalist

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

Ok so I’d like to have a topic with a group of small changes that the community would like to see implemented on Tempest since it seems we are most likely stuck with this elite.

I’ll start off:
Hardy Conduit
Protection for 3 seconds on overload
Increased effectiveness of Protection by 20% (40% dmg reduction).

Why is this not 4 seconds to match the overload? Isn’t it supposed to be something that is active during overload so you don’t explode while using it? Having it be 3 seconds instead of 4 makes it so that the last second is a second you are way too close to the enemy for and will likely get one shot. And one second is a LOT of time in all game modes.

Small Changes to Tempest

in Elementalist

Posted by: Alekt.5803

Alekt.5803

A question that I have been asking myself too.

Alerie Despins

Small Changes to Tempest

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vinteros Asteano.1209

Vinteros Asteano.1209

If the protection lasts the duration of the overload, that means someone who has traited for protection on aura can get extra protection coverage. Combine that with earth overload giving protection on its channel and the storm afterwards, you hit long durations of protection.

Small Changes to Tempest

in Elementalist

Senario.2038

If the protection lasts the duration of the overload, that means someone who has traited for protection on aura can get extra protection coverage. Combine that with earth overload giving protection on its channel and the storm afterwards, you hit long durations of protection.

Well obviously if you take a WHOLE TRAITLINE for getting more protection (earth) it should be workable. I don’t see how this is unbalanced, you take two whole traitlines in order to get protection up for a longer period of time. Something that is very intrinsic to a spec that is supposed to be close to the enemy even for overloads like Air Overload.

Yes, you get long periods of protection but that is part of the playstyle when you go in as a light class with the lowest base hp in the game. The only way to properly survive is to apply protection. The other way is to heal a ton and while dagger dagger ele has good healing with heal signet it is spread out over time compared to Altruistic Healing on Guardian who is in heavy armor and can still access protection relatively easily as well as Aegis.

Point still stands, why in a spec where you take out the ability to dodge and even switch attunements for four seconds that the boon to help make that possible is only 3 seconds? Not to mention that even if you were to change the overload protection to 4 seconds you would have 4 seconds of protection to cover the overload. 3 seconds after the overload to switch to another element or do more skills if you took the whole earth traitline. It takes 5 seconds to overload. Any other protection you gain is through active usage of your skills and utilities which makes them fine as they are usually on exceedingly long cooldowns and you will not run all shout auras in any gamemode.

Also, how is this any worse than Water+Tempest with invigorating torrents? You cure a condition and have vigor as well as regeneration available most of the time which is part of your defenses as an Ele that has to be in close range combat.

Small Changes to Tempest

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vinteros Asteano.1209

Vinteros Asteano.1209

To be honest, I think invigorating torrents was just a way to throw a bone. I think that trait combination is too strong.

Small Changes to Tempest

in Elementalist

Posted by: grahf.7540

grahf.7540

My 2 cents for basic changes Tempest really needs:

Water Overload needs a huge buff. As it is, it’s a deathtrap. Baseline stability a la Earth Overload would be nice (1 or 2 stacks?). And the bulk of the healing should come DURING the channel, not at the end. Even then, I’m not sure it’s enough to make me use it. I’ve heard of people talk of invulnerability during the channel. That’s probably too much but something serious needs to change with this skill.

Actually, how about chilling enemies during Water Overload? At least that way you aren’t totally helpless offensively during the channel. And it would be a better escape skill.

Secondly, Rebound needs attention. Higher healing numbers can fix this skill, really it isn’t that hard. I think the healing numbers could be 2x-3x more, easily. And you need to get a better payoff if the heal does not proc, maybe 50% healing + the aura?

Small Changes to Tempest

in Elementalist

Senario.2038

My 2 cents for basic changes Tempest really needs:

Water Overload needs a huge buff. As it is, it’s a deathtrap. Baseline stability a la Earth Overload would be nice (1 or 2 stacks?). And the bulk of the healing should come DURING the channel, not at the end. Even then, I’m not sure it’s enough to make me use it. I’ve heard of people talk of invulnerability during the channel. That’s probably too much but something serious needs to change with this skill.

Actually, how about chilling enemies during Water Overload? At least that way you aren’t totally helpless offensively during the channel. And it would be a better escape skill.

Secondly, Rebound needs attention. Higher healing numbers can fix this skill, really it isn’t that hard. I think the healing numbers could be 2x-3x more, easily. And you need to get a better payoff if the heal does not proc, maybe 50% healing + the aura?

I would agree with this in general. Though there are lots of ways to solve water overload’s problems. I agree with the front loading of the healing with the end being more of a bonus. Additionally I’d like it to actually create a water field but that is just me since blasting water is by far one of the most effective ways to heal.

Small Changes to Tempest

in Elementalist

Posted by: Somehow.4769

Somehow.4769

Water overload’s scaling is pretty meh, base healing is okish.

All 3 other overloads gives you nice bonuses on a locked area after you finished casting them. Air overload continues to deal dmg and to give you might, air overload continues to deal its huge damages, earth overload gives you a lot of protection and still cripples enemies. Water’s overload’s only good feature is the heal “burst” and that’s it. Once the 4 cast seconds are over there’s nothing more to get from it. And you have to cast for 4 seconds to get a 3-4k heal. I don’t know. It is underwhelming.