So LB gets faster with trait, why not Staff?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nabuko Darayon.9645

Nabuko Darayon.9645

So with the new Grandmaster for Rangers where Long Bows gets faster arrows, I wonder why don’t we have one for Staff aswell? Our projectiles are pretty slow compared to other profession’s source of damage.

By projectiles I mean, Fire 1, Air 1&3, Water 1, Earth 1&5… basically most of our autoattacks…

~ King Arian and Isabella of [EG] ~

in Elementalist

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

So with the new Grandmaster for Rangers where Long Bows gets faster arrows, I wonder why don’t we have one for Staff aswell? Our projectiles are pretty slow compared to other profession’s source of damage.

By projectiles I mean, Fire 1, Air 1&3, Water 1, Earth 1&5… basically most of our autoattacks…

Everyones auto attacks with weapons that can shoot 1200 range sucks not just eles.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Elementalist

Nabuko Darayon.9645

Everyones auto attacks with weapons that can shoot 1200 range sucks not just eles.

The issue ele has it can’t change to a better Weapon in combat. Other professions have option to bring range and main weapon.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The issue ele has it can’t change to a better Weapon in combat. Other professions have option to bring range and main weapon.

Staff gets better near melee range. Just because it has 1200 range doesn’t mean it’s not usable in melee.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: P Fun Daddy.1208

P Fun Daddy.1208

Staff gets better near melee range. Just because it has 1200 range doesn’t mean it’s not usable in melee.

In fact, I personally mostly use staff within 900-300 range. It gives me more buffs from my blasts, lets me roll over people with fire 4, and especially ensures that certain attacks (air 3 and earth 5 mostly, some AoE on melee classes) always get some effect.
I do range on occasion, but that is only if I am supporting someone on a capture point or I can’t be reached, or someone is trying to get me with a projectile weapon and I can just hit earth 3, spam autoattacks, and laugh.

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackDevil.9268

BlackDevil.9268

Mesmer’s #1 GS doesn’t… :>

in Elementalist

Posted by: McFribble.2349

McFribble.2349

Eles get 4 options for melee weapon changes. They’re called conjures, a main class feature Eles have.

in Elementalist

Nabuko Darayon.9645

In fact, I personally mostly use staff within 900-300 range. It gives me more buffs from my blasts, lets me roll over people with fire 4, and especially ensures that certain attacks (air 3 and earth 5 mostly, some AoE on melee classes) always get some effect.
I do range on occasion, but that is only if I am supporting someone on a capture point or I can’t be reached, or someone is trying to get me with a projectile weapon and I can just hit earth 3, spam autoattacks, and laugh.

Issue I have with the Staff projectiles even in melee range is that they don’t respond when when opponent is cycling around you (for example a thief with Heartseeker, but any). It might be my lack of knowledge in how to deal with these type of opponents but even in PvE when the mobs get to close range and start going sideways there’s like an “aftercast effect” where you would turn around and cast, and if the opponent constantly keeps cycling you you’re losing precious seconds and Lava Font just doesn’t do it.
I dunno. Got any advice?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

The staff auto-attacks also have some different characteristics.

For instance, there’s no scaling down in damage when enemies close in, and the ele essentially has 4 different types of attacks due to attunement swaps that allow them to change things up.

Fireball as an AoE by default, traitable to larger radius, and almost having as much power scaling as a full range long range shot.

Chain lightning can bounce to nearby targets normally, possibly hitting the same person twice.

Water blast can heal allies.

Stoning causes weakness and is a guaranteed projectile finisher.

The only real thing that long range shot has going for it is the overall higher damage output at long range (and I think slightly faster overall cast time). Allowing for improved functionality via a trait is a good option I guess, although I don’t feel ele now needs it just because ranger got it due to the way their auto attacks work.

Plus you can’t just evaluate an entire weapon based on the auto attack alone.

Furthermore, have you not seen the ranger posts? There’s plenty of people saying it’s a garbage trait that they will never take in place of something else. Do you just want a trait that you’ll never take? Where would they add it? 30 into fire? Then you have to go into fire, which is very uncommon. 30 into arcane? Then you can’t take evasive arcana.

Although I will grant you that gust (staff air 3) is currently really trashy. That thing is useless unless the person is running directly at you or is point blank. I think the solution is improving the hit box on it though, not making it faster via a trait.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Issue I have with the Staff projectiles even in melee range is that they don’t respond when when opponent is cycling around you (for example a thief with Heartseeker, but any). It might be my lack of knowledge in how to deal with these type of opponents but even in PvE when the mobs get to close range and start going sideways there’s like an “aftercast effect” where you would turn around and cast, and if the opponent constantly keeps cycling you you’re losing precious seconds and Lava Font just doesn’t do it.
I dunno. Got any advice?

This can be caused by camera facing. If the opponent moves to your flank before the cast completes, it can cause the ability to just do nothing.

Best advice I can give is to develop better camera control. If you keep moving instead of standing still and turn your camera to always face them, it should go off.

It can be annoying when they’re blinking all over or just trying to run in tight circles, but it’s just what you have to do.

in Elementalist

P Fun Daddy.1208

I dunno. Got any advice?

Go to fire element (for the AoE which makes this much easier), deselect target, and aim while spamming 1.
I keep my autotarget off for a number of reasons, and left my “nearest target” button unlocked for a while in order to train myself to aim projectiles without targeting (if you guide your screen with your right mouse button you automatically shoot there if you didn’t know). I only let the computer target my autos for me if I’m doing more important things, like switching attunements or aiming other spells, or if the person in question doesn’t realize that zigzags destroy all targeting.
If all else fails and you are in melee range, aim at the ground (or their feet) and spam 1. If you have blasting staff, which I really like for PvP, you shouldn’t have too much trouble hitting.

in Elementalist

Nabuko Darayon.9645

I dunno. Got any advice?

Go to fire element (for the AoE which makes this much easier), deselect target, and aim while spamming 1.
I keep my autotarget off for a number of reasons, and left my “nearest target” button unlocked for a while in order to train myself to aim projectiles without targeting (if you guide your screen with your right mouse button you automatically shoot there if you didn’t know). I only let the computer target my autos for me if I’m doing more important things, like switching attunements or aiming other spells, or if the person in question doesn’t realize that zigzags destroy all targeting.
If all else fails and you are in melee range, aim at the ground (or their feet) and spam 1. If you have blasting staff, which I really like for PvP, you shouldn’t have too much trouble hitting.

Nice idea. I gotta try this out. I always thought autotargeting would save me some “mistakes” just to find it actually caused more.

in Elementalist

P Fun Daddy.1208

I dunno. Got any advice?

Nice idea. I gotta try this out. I always thought autotargeting would save me some “mistakes” just to find it actually caused more.

Fireball just happens to be nice and easy to hit with. The rest are only useful to be untargeted with if you’re in PvE against a stationary target and have forgotten what your target select key is (shut up, it happens).