So i hear all this talk of nerfing ele's

in Elementalist

Posted by: Reckless.6325

Reckless.6325

Why? Just because there are a few very very good players out there that are exceptional, doesn’t mean we all are.

Just started playing it 2 weeks ago (am already 80) and I’ve been loving it! D/D is by far the funnest weapon set in any class for me (believe me I’ve played over 1400 games in sPvP hotjoin, using every class and build to try and find a play style I liked). I recently found out about dapheonix’s build and realised that the reason I never liked ele before was that I was always too glass cannon and never really delved into the class mechanics.

So please, please keep it the way it is.

in Elementalist

Posted by: teg.1340

teg.1340

People just see how hard it is to kill a bunker dd ele due to RTL + healing and cry for nerfs. What they dont want to realize is that those bunker builds deal mediocre damage.

in Elementalist

Posted by: horaxx.9728

horaxx.9728

True, but not gonna happen.
You see? Anet has been paying attention to ppl qqs since day 1. Youtube some ele vids on bwe1 (same for ranger, thief, necro, etc) and you ll see the amount of nerfing involved since then.
It is unfortunate that balancing means nerfing some classes (while others are doing Arah exp solo … ehm…. warriors).

What would actually be interesting is to see a big kitten buff on pve and leave things as they are on pvp (while fixing bugs which have been there since day 1). Doesnt really seem fair to have a d/d ele in front of a mob hitting for 5 or 7k w firegrab and see a warrior hitting for 18k, considering the massive amount of armor they have and the paper made armor eles have.

Just a thought.

“How do you kill that which has no life?”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Akbaroth.2861

Akbaroth.2861

heh… i was watching the guild wars 2 twitch.tv channel where they talking about ‘nerfs to bunkers and changes to aoe’ which most players assumed mean they would nerf the crap out of eles.

from what i can tell most people talking about the incoming nerfs did not watch the live feed and are jumping to conclusions based some people who did watch it overreacting.

when the guys doing the live feed said they wanted to nerf bunkers they made it very, VERY clear that they want bunkering to still be an effective build, but that certain bunkers (ele and guardian in particular) are a hair too strong (yes we know bunkers don’t do much damage, that’s the point of a bunker).

they have every intention of keeping bunkers in the meta.

as the the dreaded aoe nerf they were very explicit in saying they won’t outright nerf aoe skills (i except a few may get nerfed, but it won’t be a blanket nerf to all aoes), but want to provide more incentive to use single target skills. they also said that this would have to be a careful and gradual change overtime.

i expect things along the lines of changing dungeons so that there are more points where single target damage would be useful, such as reducing the number of enemies in certain encounters, while there will be many encounters where aoe damage will be important some of the fights would be changed to fight fewer but stronger foes.

or perhaps weaken most of them slightly but also add priority targets, foes that are only one in a group of many but should be taken down first for whatever reason.

i’ll admit that with guild wars 1 anet doesn’t have a good track record for balancing, but those of us who have been paying attention to the news of gw2 for the past 5 years know that they designed the new skills/traits system from the ground up with ‘ease-of-balancing’ in mind.

and one last thing, they keep assuring us that they want to do more slow careful changes, so even if i’m wrong and a mass aoe nerf is on the way i don’t expect it will be all in one update and they will have plenty of time to see how bad the nerf is.

in Elementalist

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

You guys sound like some american news channels.

You complain about things not yet set or implemented.
Predict doom and destruction without any real information
Base your (bad)theories on “talks” and “says” without any official information or data
Blame people and call them “stupid”, “idiots”, “incompetents” and all that without any idea of the real problem or how it works (if its actually a real problem)

Its almost funny…

in Elementalist

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

from what i can tell most people talking about the incoming nerfs did not watch the live feed and are jumping to conclusions based some people who did watch it overreacting.

Last time i heard the word overreacting was 15 november 2012…..
It then proved to be not overreacting….

as the the dreaded aoe nerf they were very explicit in saying they won’t outright nerf aoe skills (i except a few may get nerfed, but it won’t be a blanket nerf to all aoes), but want to provide more incentive to use single target skills. they also said that this would have to be a careful and gradual change overtime.

They said AOE are an issue in dungeons.

Actually AoE are extremely WEAK in dungeons while a couple professions most single target are extremely overpowered in pve…..

It’s just normal of being afraid considering they are talking of nerfs to things nobody complained, while ignoring strong issues in the eyes of every player (see LF heavy…)

Also having 5 max targets was already a huge nerf.

ELe has skill rotation as a drawback system and a necessity….nerfing even few of his aoe would result as a hit in the department where they are already lacking…

I.E. damage.

If they also nerfs survivability you get how comes people are worried as hell.

Patch history is a further reason to that.
They more than once destroyed professions and builds with nerfs without compensations.

i expect things along the lines of changing dungeons so that there are more points where single target damage would be useful, such as reducing the number of enemies in certain encounters, while there will be many encounters where aoe damage will be important some of the fights would be changed to fight fewer but stronger foes.

so you will use your water 2 skill while warrior will lol and just kill everything in few hits.

i’ll admit that with guild wars 1 anet doesn’t have a good track record for balancing, but those of us who have been paying attention to the news of gw2 for the past 5 years know that they designed the new skills/traits system from the ground up with ‘ease-of-balancing’ in mind.

actually they have a bad track even in gw2…..

What makes me worry more is that they actually don t provide real infos on wich AoE are problematic….

If they discussed aoe with players it would’ve been better at least….
being vague makes me expect the worse…and expect the usual nerf to the ground to many random aoe.

You don t nerf something that needs a buff usually >__>

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Elementalist

Posted by: kismet.5347

kismet.5347

Nothing has happened yet…
But D/D ele needs some “looking into it”. Anet has said many times that offence should beat defense. I see these FOTMrolling eles in sPvP all the time who flash in bob and weave and dodge and scoot around and accomplish nothing. Honestly try standing still and most of the guys still go around like they got hellhounds chasing them AND miss their attacks. And after that RTL away and GG themselves.
But even they are too hard to kill. They can win 1v1 by attrition if there is like 5mins to spare and dance around.
So be prepared to be “nerfed” and maybe, just maybe, they buff scepter and staff a bit to make them equally desirable as D/D has become.

in Elementalist

LordByron.8369

i dont actually care of PvP or www they are already a mess….
what they should look at is PvE and even D/D there needs a strong buff not a nerf.

GW2 balance:
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xplosiv.1503

Xplosiv.1503

People just see how hard it is to kill a bunker dd ele due to RTL + healing and cry for nerfs. What they dont want to realize is that those bunker builds deal mediocre damage.

I just love people like you, who play ele and defend their class ^ without any proper input in actual improovement.

Ele bunkers need a nerf because:

1. They can witstand 2vs1 easily, 3vs 1 with problems, meaning in pvp based on conquest enemies will need half of their resource team to take down 1 elementalist ( who thanks to knockbacks can easily take the points, and hold it)
2. At the current state, 2 ele bunkers are a part of 80-90% of the premade teams, meaning 2 safe kiting points and lots of time to switch for the rest
3. bunker ele does medium damage, but it’s not the damage here, it’s the part that he can fight 2vs1 so easily( and even manage to kill 1 in the process) for so long, it makes playing pvp in conquest mode no fun at all.

Thats why they need the nerfs. But, as always, ele players will cry, that ele doesnt need nerfs ( because they play 1, and they don’t want any skill involved in their gameplay, solely balancing advantage).

The facts are, that Instagib thieves and ele bunkers are the most gameruining unbalances atm, and they need to be dealt with in order to make pvp viable.

in Elementalist

LordByron.8369

I just love people like you, who play ele and defend their class ^ without any proper input in actual improovement.

cool and your proper inputs would be?
Not a single skill nor trait nor number was mantioned in your post….
Also being able to survive 2VS1 is common to many classes….and could be also due to a thing called “SKILL” that should be involved in battle outcome.

Do you find eles standing still invulnerable? or you just see them evading skills and positioning carefully?

And then people complain about skills like churning earth… ._. that is easier to evade than kohler in AC.

GW2 balance:

in Elementalist

Posted by: skinnyb.5920

skinnyb.5920

And then people complain about skills like churning earth… ._. that is easier to evade than kohler in AC.

B-but Kholer is too hard! Skip plz!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Benjamim.9120

Benjamim.9120

@Xplosiv

well if I follow your logic almost all classes need a nerf…..specially mesmer shatter build ……..bunker are supposed to supress damage (just like bunker guardian)………

Take a look at this video:

in Elementalist

LordByron.8369

@Xplosiv

well if I follow your logic almost all classes need a nerf…..specially mesmer shatter build ……..bunker are supposed to supress damage (just like bunker guardian)………

when people post vids do they ever consider potential skill of players and opponents?

It seems quite skilled to me and earning their points legit.
He does things like using 1 sec distortion skills efficiently for example….

What did his opponents do?

GW2 balance:

in Elementalist

Benjamim.9120

@Xplosiv

when people post vids do they ever consider potential skill of players and opponents?

It seems quite skilled to me and earning their points legit.
He does things like using 1 sec distortion skills efficiently for example….

What did his opponents do?

thats what im saying (it was sarcasm =p)….. A skilled player can 1vs2…. you cant say “nerf that class because a skilled player can outplay me”….that’s what i was trying to say =)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Smooth Marc.8743

Smooth Marc.8743

1. They can witstand 2vs1 easily, 3vs 1 with problems, meaning in pvp based on conquest enemies will need half of their resource team to take down 1 elementalist ( who thanks to knockbacks can easily take the points, and hold it)
2. At the current state, 2 ele bunkers are a part of 80-90% of the premade teams, meaning 2 safe kiting points and lots of time to switch for the rest
3. bunker ele does medium damage, but it’s not the damage here, it’s the part that he can fight 2vs1 so easily( and even manage to kill 1 in the process) for so long, it makes playing pvp in conquest mode no fun at all.

Thats why they need the nerfs. But, as always, ele players will cry, that ele doesnt need nerfs ( because they play 1, and they don’t want any skill involved in their gameplay, solely balancing advantage).

The facts are, that Instagib thieves and ele bunkers are the most gameruining unbalances atm, and they need to be dealt with in order to make pvp viable.

If you can’t 2v1 a bunker ele it’s a player problem.

I agree the whole bunker concept needs to go away.The real problem is the Cleric Amulet it needs to be removed from the game.If eles get nerfed everyone is just going to put a clerics amulet on whatever class can sustain themselves the best and have them bunker.

Go make an 0/0/10/30/30 ele and try bunker without a cleric then try bunker with it and you’ll understand.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

I think it’s you who understand at all, the healing power coefficient of our minor trait has already been nerfed by 50%, not every ele use a cleric amulet anyway.
Furthermore what you and the majority of the community don’t ( or want to) understand is the fatc that eles lack any kind of survivability outside water trait investment

in Elementalist

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

What are you going to nerf though?

RTL has the same cooldown as other abilities. Same as swoop, shorter than Charge.

Can’t pretend the class has too many escapes as the Warrior of all classes has about the same number of skills to escape/engage.

Can’t be the damage because the bunker builds in question don’t do any damage and when not in PVT gear you tend to be killed in the duration of a knockdown from Warriors, Thieves, and Guardians (classes that have some of the strongest AE in the game and are probably more likely to be nerfed than Elementalists btw).

There’s really not much you can change.

Perhaps changing icy breath to only heal if it does damage and increasing RTL to a 20 second cooldown, but that’s not going to change much. If D/D is even an issue to begin with.

The real issue is how Scepter and Staff are an afterthought to D/D. Perhaps if they were more viable weapons fewer people would be D/D and the problem would fix itself.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

It seems they just want to make sure all the kiddies playing the game have an easy life, killing people left and right with 2-3 button press at maximum ( warrior-guardian-thief), maybe they will stop nerfing the game when..there will be nobody left to nerf outside the few kiddies still playing their 100b warrior.

I wasn’t expecting a downgraded version of the GW1 ele, this profession is not even half of what I was waiting for..and after BWE2 I almost gave up completely the idea of playing an ele and started to look at the guardian, luckily I stumbled upon the 30 arcane elemental surge build and from there I decided to stick with the ele, but now every month I need to worry about nerfs, because kiddies playing warrior/thief can’t kill me, because you know? I can time my mist form, shocking aura, frozen burst and so on, I mean I can play my profession….

in Elementalist

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

I think it’s you who understand at all, the healing power coefficient of our minor trait has already been nerfed by 50%, not every ele use a cleric amulet anyway.
Furthermore what you and the majority of the community don’t ( or want to) understand is the fatc that eles lack any kind of survivability outside water trait investment

This is quoted for absolute truth.

They need to add survival (true evasions, blocks, and distortion) to weapon skills, particularly D/D, then strip a significant amount of passive regens from water.

I’m sure a LOT of D/D eles would love to move from bunker to offensive, but can’t because 10k hp + light armor + zero evasive maneuvers on daggers = dead ele.

in Elementalist

Benjamim.9120

This is quoted for absolute truth.

They need to add survival (true evasions, blocks, and distortion) to weapon skills, particularly D/D, then strip a significant amount of passive regens from water.

I’m sure a LOT of D/D eles would love to move from bunker to offensive, but can’t because 10k hp + light armor + zero evasive maneuvers on daggers = dead ele.

i would love to change to offensive….tried many times but got one shotted by everything….

in Elementalist

Posted by: hharry.1967

hharry.1967

Where did the old school rpg go? Where light armor classes (see assassins, mages, and such) would be very squishy but deliver a lot of damage to compensate, while fighters would wear heavy armor, being slow, and not doing as much damage as a mage. But lately theres NO advantage on using light armor, every heavy armor class can do more damage than you and have more survivability at the same time.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

i would love to change to offensive….tried many times but got one shotted by everything….

I’ve found a happy place in the middle ground. Too many people think that you have to be either one extreme or the other to be effective, but the 0 10 0 30 30 and 0 10 10 30 20 build with berserker gear has enough survivability to avoid instant death and enough punch to drop targets in a reasonable amount of time.

I win the same 1v2/3 fights that you see the youtube bunkers do, but the fight only last 1 minute instead of 5. It’s amazing how much easier it is to tank 3 people when one of them is dead after the first 6 seconds. ^.^

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet