So what is the role of the elementalist?

in Elementalist

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Before this most recent nerfs my vision of the elementalist was that is was either a ranged AOE damage dealer (staff) or a highly mobile but lightly armored melee (d/d).

In the SOTG talk, the developers said that they wanted thieves to be the most mobile class (which interestingly enough is not done by making thieves more mobile but by reducing the mobility of the ele).

Personally, I had always though of thieves as a deception based character (along with mesmers).

So what is the role of the ele? Is it a boon factory, like the guardian?

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Swizzle.7982

Swizzle.7982

Weren’t they supposed to be ‘masters of versitility’? You know, exactly like engineers were supposed to be, before they were turned into some useless mid range master of nothing class.

I don’t think Anet know what they want half the classes to actually do.

in Elementalist

Posted by: autoduck.2837

autoduck.2837

The role of the elementalist is to be nerfed.

Kaineng 11/2012-04/2013
Sanctum of Rall 04/2013-

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

Same as everybody else:

DPS

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

D/D is still powerful, So is staff for zerg busting. Honestly bunker ele’s are still going to be strong in WvW when played well, even with the nerfs. There are still options available to Ele’s but they have screwed them quite a bit lately.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Tumbero.3945

Tumbero.3945

Is like the bad players they will always rerol to a thief , ele or a mesmer.

SBI Firstborn.
(LX) Legion

in Elementalist

Posted by: Khalic.3561

Khalic.3561

Problem is that anything non-bunker is getting hit harder. There are other viable builds out there (I enjoy my glassy D/D), but they’re becoming harder to play with each patch. And they still aren’t adding anything to really compensate and encourage build variety.

I would really, really like to know what they devs intend for the class. Because as is, I’m pretty kitten confused.

Khyla Shadowsong ~ Charr Ele, Engi, Mes, Ranger, Guard, Thief, War, Necro
Northern Shiverpeaks ~ [dO] Drop Otter

in Elementalist

Posted by: autoduck.2837

autoduck.2837

Problem is that anything non-bunker is getting hit harder. There are other viable builds out there (I enjoy my glassy D/D), but they’re becoming harder to play with each patch. And they still aren’t adding anything to really compensate and encourage build variety.

Exactly.

Kaineng 11/2012-04/2013
Sanctum of Rall 04/2013-

in Elementalist

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

The role of my Scepter elementalist, currently, is to have my teammates say “Hey, you want to bring your Mesmer or Guardian instead?”

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

in Elementalist

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I would really, really like to know what they devs intend for the class. Because as is, I’m pretty kitten confused.

That’s basically why I asked. The most recent nerfs have affected my vision of the class. I’m not saying the class doesn’t have effective builds (or won’t) just that I don’t really see what it’s suppose to be.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Elementalist

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

In the SOTG talk, the developers said that they wanted thieves to be the most mobile class (which interestingly enough is not done by making thieves more mobile but by reducing the mobility of the ele).

Personally, I had always though of thieves as a deception based character (along with mesmers).

For what it’s worth, I’ve felt they should have just kept "assassin" instead of calling the class "thief", since it more comes out of the GW1 assassin class than resembles other MMO’s/RPG’s thief classes. The ’sin had "deceptive" skills, but they were more based on mobility than trickery, if that’s a fair adjective to get my meaning across.

in Elementalist

Posted by: nikkistar.1409

nikkistar.1409

Honestly, as an ele, and talking to a few guild members. They believe that Anet is reverting back to the “holy trinity” and, thus pigeon-holing elementalist into a tank role with engineers and guardians. I already respec between PvE and WvW, because having a tanker build helps me survive fights while we are roaming.

[Yak’s Bend] [BV] Blackwater ‘Buttwater’ Vanguard – Leader
Ele/Nanumee – Mez/Boba Bunny – Thief/Star Shadowfang

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Its every thing ElE is the jack of all trades and master at non of them.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Posted by: Chimaster.8165

Chimaster.8165

Just like the kittening druid in world of kittening warcraft kittening bullkitten nerfs.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raptured.9307

Raptured.9307

auras, ice bows, and occasional heals.

Rank 37 spvp, dungeon master
[HL] Deadly Protection @ Sanctum of Culling

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

Ele is king of two things, jack and kitten, and jack left town. The Ele as it is now isn’t even mediocre at any role. The only thing it can do is lay down more combo fields than anyone else, but in Staff doesn’t have enough long range blast finishers to make a difference.

To be a “jack of all trades” the combined abilities of your various trades needs to amount to at least the baseline of other class’s abilities. The Ele has poor damage (AND ANet has said it wants to nerf AoE further), poor CC, poor mobility both in and out of combat, etc.

The Jack of All Trades is public relations doublespeak for “we have no idea what this class should do, so to make sure our Warriors and Thieves don’t lose any self-esteem, we’re going to make Eles into near stationary badge pinatas.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Is like the bad players they will always rerol to a thief , ele or a mesmer.

Ah yes, thief ele and mes. They require, like, no skill at all. Yeah. Uh-huh.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

Thief requires a lot of skill in spvp..no seriously
I played s/d that got buffed and its like awsomely fun and engaging with a huge amount of teleports and mobility.
You see a target?You are there in no time AND you get the joy to steal that poor elementalists prot and stability with one hit if you are lucky :P
Poor guy he has the rocks around him making him look ugly while i get the benefits
Killing eles never been so easy..downside is zero cond removal though
But seriously THATS mobility..

in Elementalist

Posted by: zalcs.9701

zalcs.9701

remove the whole class and make a new one. what you have now is a very, VERY hot mess that’s not fun to play.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Our role is, has been and always will be being the class with the flashiest moves.

in Elementalist

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

The way I see it, the only things elementalists do better than other classes is area of effect damage (as in, their aoes are larger, not necessarily harder hitting) and combo fields. Other than that, I don’t see much an elementalist can do another profession couldn’t do better.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Benji.9203

Benji.9203

Thieves honestly do not get enough credit imo. The class is based on critical reactions/timing/decisions. Heavy emphasis on decisions. Initiative gives thieves freedom to do what they want but at a cost and only for so long. Too much investment in said freedom can lead to a dead thief.

Almost poetic when you think about
(Looks to sky feeling like an artist)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Thieves honestly do not get enough credit imo. The class is based on critical reactions/timing/decisions. Heavy emphasis on decisions. Initiative gives thieves freedom to do what they want but at a cost and only for so long. Too much investment in said freedom can lead to a dead thief.

Almost poetic when you think about
(Looks to sky feeling like an artist)

Essentially; good description of the class in general.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Elementalist

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

Ele’s new roll is to play glass cannon staff carry in Kaypud’s new 10v10 beach brawl.

So much fun.

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet