So what's the reasoning behind nerfing us even further underwater?

in Elementalist

Posted by: terrordrone.1875

terrordrone.1875

I think we deserve to know exactly why the only skill that was worth anything underwater is now 33% more worthless than it was before.

How are we supposed to fight underwater now? Play support roles? I thought you guys were trying to do away with the “holy trinity”? Oh wait. Underwater skills don’t even provide any sort of support.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hissatsu.7091

Hissatsu.7091

Doesn’t matter tbh, i don’t fight any1 underwater(and im pre sure thats same for a majority of people :P)
unless its like a zerg vs a few stragglers in that case i’d just auto attack adn pull them for my team.

in Elementalist

terrordrone.1875

The game isn’t just PvP or WvW. There are some events/skill points that are underwater.

Saying “don’t go underwater” isn’t an answer.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

Yes it is. Don’t do those events. It really isn’t worth it. Our terrible class is even further kittened under water and doing those events become a huge chore instead of a nice break from repetitive ground combat.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hissatsu.7091

Hissatsu.7091

reroll engineer, throw bombs and lay down turrets, ANet obviously think its balanced lol

in Elementalist

Posted by: Prince.3682

Prince.3682

I couldn’t care less about underwater nonsense but it bothers me that they’re more focused on nerfs, and water ones at that, than fixing long time bugs and general land combat buffs. I think a few tweaks will go a long way.

I’d even be pretty darn pleased if they hurried up with fixing downed state and ride the lightning…

As far as class balance in general, I think ele is in a pretty decent place in many ways but not compared to something like a mesmer that can rock pure glass with so much built in survival.

Anyway, I do very well with my hybrid but pure dps still isn’t viable as an ele in my opinion.

in Elementalist

DaedalusDragon.3754

You used to be able to say that the elementalist wasn’t toooooooo bad at any one thing. That is to say, the elementalist used to be able to do pve content well enough when you weren’t trying to compare it to any other class, but now…. now we just get wave after wave of nerfs. I’m awestruck by the complete ineptitude of some of these developers. A “restructuring” might be in order.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The one thing I do not understand is WHY it was nerfed. I mean, who complained about it? The npcs? Sure, it was a strong move, but with a cooldown like that, it should be. At least to make up for the fact that it was really just a filler skill…it’s just a sit and wait till it’s over skill.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

DaedalusDragon.3754

The developer in charge of the “Make sure the elementalist sucks” department probably complained… But I must give them credit, they are FANTASTIC at their job.

in Elementalist

Posted by: wertyuio.8630

wertyuio.8630

don’t worry…. the stuff they nerfed was almost useless most of the time anyway.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The developer in charge of the “Make sure the elementalist sucks” department probably complained… But I must give them credit, they are FANTASTIC at their job.

While I do not agree that the Elementalist sucks (though it takes great effort to not make them suck), I still don’t get the why (assuming your reason isn’t the actual truth lol).

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vaerah.4907

Vaerah.4907

ThiBash

The one thing I do not understand is WHY it was nerfed. I mean, who complained about it? The npcs? Sure, it was a strong move, but with a cooldown like that, it should be. At least to make up for the fact that it was really just a filler skill…it’s just a sit and wait till it’s over skill.

It’s a consistent design decision. Before this nerf we could say “all our elite skills are horrible and worthless except our (still buggy ofc) underwater one”.

Now, it’ll be consistent, we can say “all our elite skills are horrible and worthless” without exception. Cleaner, leaner design.

(edited by Vaerah.4907)

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackDevil.9268

BlackDevil.9268

The reason would be that you could easily deal 4k dmg and pull the enemy to you while interupting them at the same time. Beating 1vs1 under water was the easiest 1vs1 I’ve ever faced…

(Once we were with 3 ele’s doing that elite at an enemy trying to escape in WvW. He was down from full health to defeated state in about 4 seconds.)

I also hate the fact that ele is maybe the most useless faction in 1vs1 underwater, however, they are a great support once it comes to 2vs2 or 2vs1. Almost every atunement has its own CC, sometimes even two!
Maybe they need to change that a little bit. Less CC’s, more DPS skills.

in Elementalist

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

reroll engineer, throw bombs and lay down turrets, ANet obviously think its balanced lol

Oh god.
>shoot net
>swim up to target
>overcharge turrets
>nuke crazy burst with harpoon 2 and 4 and double toolbelt insta 1200 range nukes
>get a kill (yes its that easy)
>get bomb kit and drop burn/confusion/stealth/knockbacks all over point
>get many more kills

>use tornado
> kitten people off with knockback
>they focus you
>die

(edited by GankSinatra.2653)

in Elementalist

Posted by: tomlin.8204

tomlin.8204

Let’s not deny it, the skill was OP. I’m not saying there aren’t other classes with OP skills, or that there aren’t more important, positive (for us) changes that should have been dealt with first, but that skill really was too powerful. I do think they should have at least reduced the cooldown at the same time, though.

“meta” this, “meta” that. Please stop saying the word “meta”.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Taikanaru.5746

Taikanaru.5746

Should have changed the mechanic and not just do a plain damage nerf… Fixed broken into broken?

in Elementalist

terrordrone.1875

How is not being able to heal yourself for the entire duration of the skill OP?

The game does NOT revolve around PvP.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neara.4378

Neara.4378

Once we were with 3 ele’s doing that elite at an enemy trying to escape in WvW. He was down from full health to defeated state in about 4 seconds.

Three players using their long-cooldown elite skills one a single opponent.

Yes, the underwater tornado was strong, maybe too strong. Toning it down is completely acceptable. Why this has to happen before more glaring issues and gamebreaking bugs with the class get fixed, however, is entirely beyond me.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gumiku.9760

Gumiku.9760

The skill is obviously OP, FOR ELEMENTIALIST.

As a elementialist, you are not suppose to pop up your elite and sit there and do 3k damage per sec. You are designed to work twice as harder as other class to achieve same outcome. Thats how simple that is.

The skill is the only elite skill underwater. Not saying don’t nerf things, but at least give us another choice.

in Elementalist

Posted by: TheWarKeeper.5374

TheWarKeeper.5374

Because, they want elementalist to be very discontempt with all these nerfs, quite possibly more to come, later then when they are done nerfing the already fully nerfed class they will give us a random crap and pointless buff or a full list of random and crap and pointless buffs so we get deluded into saying “Wow! nice move, finally some buffs!!” when the truth is those buffs will be irrelevant to make any difference in battle.
We already have an example, that is lightning whip, any serious player will laugh at “beying able to hit up to 3” crap buff, its completely useless when u cant survive 2 for more than 3 seconds, and then make some new members go like “Oh yay wth u talkin about datz da thang dude now my ele gonna rock!!!”, you could make lightning whip be able to hit any ammount of players rather than limit it to 3, it would make 0 difference.

This is their plan, in the end giving us the illusion of a buff when in reality weve been far more nerfed to make those buffs even reach the original state of elementalist.

Sorry to see so many ppl reminding me of playing guild wars 1, “Izzy” or Isaiah Cartwright was there too, and i can assure u, the professionalism involved in GW2 is no better than in GW1, in GW1 they nerfed the warrior class because paragon class was using too many warrior skills, paragon main class nerfed to death, monk smiter’s boon skill nerfed to death because he wasnt bothered to think about it, leaving an official comment that they were aware of that horrid nerf and hes probably going to fix it one day, even though we are in 2012 and 4 years have passed and still exactly the same state for that skill.

Every person i questioned in gw1 about whos making these balance changes, every single one of them said Izzy, nobody else but this 1 guy, and since hes the designer of the game, his job is exactly the same in gw2, so as soon as i stop enjoying the game ill move on to my fav games again, i feel this game will be as much of a failure of a sequel like unreal tournament 3 was to unreal tournament 2004, all they had to do was add jump ability and give us better graphics, instead they reduced 1000+ skill choices to no true choices in the effort of making their job easier to balance a crappy and laughable built class that nobody in his right mind would use in guild wars 1 with all the control we had back then.

Elementalist in GW2 is the new Paragon! i guess these guys dont learn from their mistakes.

(edited by TheWarKeeper.5374)

in Elementalist

Posted by: TheWarKeeper.5374

TheWarKeeper.5374

Also i forgot to add, what most people dont realise for staff, is not that the damage is crap excluding the atrocious fire number 5 skill, the damage is quite good, the problem is it is good ONLY in PVE, you will never deal even half the damage in PVP as u deal with it in pve, all the long and horrid casting times makes it a complete waste of time and useless weapon except as others said for healing, mage master of magic, doing far worse at his own weapon than other classes do with it, its quite embarrassing.

Why am i forced in pvp to switch from mage main weapon to something that has absolutely nothing to do with the class in the first place? like the freaking daggers… who comes up with these ideas? elementalist might aswell just get this cool looking glock pistol yo!

(edited by TheWarKeeper.5374)

in Elementalist

Posted by: elchulo.3148

elchulo.3148

RIP spvp ele. I’m tired of being a masochist.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Areann.1304

Areann.1304

Whirlpool was good, know I won’t be. And what other choice do we have? Ow, none. And using a Glyph build, including the traits for it, is still my choice. To bad none of the glyphs work under water, except the healing.

in Elementalist

Posted by: STRanger.5120

STRanger.5120

Why am i forced in pvp to switch from mage main weapon to something that has absolutely nothing to do with the class in the first place? like the freaking daggers… who comes up with these ideas? elementalist might aswell just get this cool looking glock pistol yo!

I have the same reason for playing Staff ele, daggers just not “fit” the class for me (It´s a caster, if you read something about casters in any RPG rules such as D&D, you know what I mean), scepter is nice and “fits”, but not my playstyle though. So I´m stuck with staff and getting ***kicked right in the moment I made the slightest mistake that any other class can overcome.
But I love the idea of attunements, so I stick with my Ele until Anet totally destroys him…

#ELEtism 4ever

in Elementalist

Posted by: Selo.1250

Selo.1250

@TheWarKeeper

Correct. Staff is useless in wvw except when you can land metoer shower on walls or people below walls. Other times enemies just stay out of anything staff elementalist throw.
And if the enemy move 1 inch to the side, your spell wont land.
None of the nr1 skills like fireball have any homing and misses 99% of the time.

You can watch a 4 hour movie while fireball cast and travels to the enemy its so kitten slow.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Anlyon.8375

Anlyon.8375

You guys didnt seriously think whirlpools damage WOULDNT get nerfed did you?

I’ve played the ele exclusively since BWE #1, and whirlpool as been OP since we could use it.
4k+ damage per tick? I could solo 4 people and 3 sharks at the ruins. It was stupid.

That said, aside from water 2, 4 and 5 (which will probably get nerfed btw) our underwater skills are terrible.

Dont worry, we’ll get buffs in due time.

You have nothing to fear but Fear itself

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

We really need another underwater weapon. It’s just not fair to only have one choice because it doesn’t mesh with all of our possible builds.

Say I’m an arcane staff elementalist with condition damage/healing and I play by giving buffs and loading the enemy with conditions by laying down combo fields. When I go underwater I would suddenly have only 2 heals and no water combo fields, no fire combo fields, a burn on a 40 second cooldown and a bleed that requires me to be in the face of the enemy (and the 1 second lol bleed from rock blade).

I think the trident and lack of choice with underwater weapons really show the price we pay for attunements isn’t MORE versatility but LESS. If each attunement was really able to stand on it’s own and be comparable to the kit other classes have in ONE weapon then maybe we would be more versatile but we would still be locked into what the developers give us.

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mehuge.9861

Mehuge.9861

> (Once we were with 3 ele’s doing that elite at an enemy trying to escape in WvW. He was down from full health to defeated state in about 4 seconds.)

What, wait, holy moley, 3 players killed 1 player in 4 seconds – GOSH THATS UNHEARDOF

in Elementalist

Posted by: shaolinwind.6932

shaolinwind.6932

Its easy. They are nerfing us in entirety, so that they can just give us a 20% over all damage buff to put us on par with everyone else.

see. all part of the plan. /sarcasm

in Elementalist

Posted by: Voltic.6912

Voltic.6912

I kite like crazy underwater and switch between air and earth. Underwater skill challenges take awhile but eventually they all die to me

in Elementalist

Posted by: veeblight.9736

veeblight.9736

I have the same reason for playing Staff ele, daggers just not “fit” the class for me (It´s a caster, if you read something about casters in any RPG rules such as D&D, you know what I mean), scepter is nice and “fits”, but not my playstyle though. So I´m stuck with staff and getting ***kicked right in the moment I made the slightest mistake that any other class can overcome.
But I love the idea of attunements, so I stick with my Ele until Anet totally destroys him…

Actually… most roleplaying games let ‘mages, wizards, etc’ use any sort of weapon as something to channel their magic power through, daggers being a very popular choice.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rack.4930

Rack.4930

It really WAS overpowered, especially in PVP. I don’t see why they couldn’t apply a severe cooldown reduction on it to compensate though.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DreadShinobi.4751

DreadShinobi.4751

I’d call bringing down the damage of Whirlpool a fix more than a nerf. By fixing it’s damage it opens up opportunities to buff our normal underwater damage (or lack thereof).

Kiiban -lvl 80 Elementalist
Sacaen -lvl 80 Warrior