Soooo.. Medi Guards pwn my face all day

in Elementalist

Posted by: Chesire.9043

Chesire.9043

How are you guys beating them? I have only done it a couple times myself but it’s usually a faceroll in their favor. I know I’m not dodging enough of their GS attacks, especially the big huge jumping leap that can be seen from across the map. But aside from that, what strategies do you guys employ?

Also, which builds are you all using with notable success?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lettuce.2945

Lettuce.2945

Um, the standard d/d ele meta is a direct counter to medi guards. Especially if you run doom sigil. Not sure why you are struggling :/. Just basically pay attention to their rotations based on weapon sets. Honestly, not really complicated.

in Elementalist

Chesire.9043

Um, the standard d/d ele meta is a direct counter to medi guards. Especially if you run doom sigil. Not sure why you are struggling :/. Just basically pay attention to their rotations based on weapon sets. Honestly, not really complicated.

Was actually hoping it wouldn’t come to rolling with the meta build but I suppose that’s why it’s meta.

Thanks for the input as always Lettuce. ._.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gokil.2543

Gokil.2543

Was actually hoping it wouldn’t come to rolling with the meta build but I suppose that’s why it’s meta.

Thanks for the input as always Lettuce. ._.

In that case, what do you play?

But yeah, medi guard is the apex predator among glassy builds. D/D dominates it.

[Walk] Elemelentalist
Youtube

in Elementalist

Chesire.9043

In that case, what do you play?

But yeah, medi guard is the apex predator among glassy builds. D/D dominates it.

I was playing around with an Aura build. I actually really enjoy the build, I just can’t seem to beat s/d Thieves, Medi Guards, or certain hammer warrior builds with it. It does seem pretty glassy though. I thought the protection added from the aura’s would mitigate a lot of damage but those classes seem to drop my health to zero in basically one rotation.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fFAQJAodhMMKb23wxBd0ACASwANG2Lo4NpCB-TJRGwAAOBAMLDQ4BAga/BA

That’s currently what I’m playing with. I can say it rolls the floor with the new power ranger LB crap you see and that’s definitely satisfying.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

medi guard counters 90% of every glassy build/proffession

its like thief vs mesmer

u can still beat them if u dodge their main atks tho, and burst em down , most guards open with focus 5, switch to gs, (if gs / x /f ) , use gs2, teleport to u w their utility, and instakill u if u dont dodge that, focus 5 does pretty much dmg, so make sure u dodge that (it explodes in 2-4 s, u can check their effects to see coutdown)

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Elementalist

Chesire.9043

medi guard counters 90% of every glassy build/proffession

its like thief vs mesmer

u can still beat them if u dodge their main atks tho, and burst em down , most guards open with focus 5, switch to gs, (if gs / x /f ) , use gs2, teleport to u w their utility, and instakill u if u dont dodge that, focus 5 does pretty much dmg, so make sure u dodge that (it explodes in 2-4 s, u can check their effects to see coutdown)

I think that is a lot of my problem. Not dodging those key abilities.

I’ll have to practice some more I think. Thank you.

in Elementalist

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

well, you have your answer then

if you don’t dodge, you will die even with a d/d spec.

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in Elementalist

Chesire.9043

It isn’t really that I don’t dodge. I am just not sure WHAT to dodge other than Whirling Blade.

It seems like I just bash my face against them most of the time only to watch their health refill instantly and mine drop to 10% or so; it’s a bit frustrating. I’m also trying to fix my build to where I can dodge a bit more.

But yes, sound advice nonetheless! :P

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

A build with 4 fire AND 6 Air AND 4 earth. That’s your problem.

You’ll need a lot more in defensive trees (Arcana+Water) to be viable in PvP.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Elementalist_-_Dagger/Dagger

in Elementalist

Lettuce.2945

I run the exact same build as neko but instead of battle, I run energy. Energy + Doom sigil. The extra dodges are worth it. And Wyrden, the focus 5 skill on guardian doesn’t explode if you hit him 3 times. It explodes only if no one hits him 3 times.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ResJudicator.7916

ResJudicator.7916

Focus 5 (the skill that puts a bunch of blue shield-looking graphics up) is a large source of burst. It basically works like an arcane shield in reverse: it explodes after a set time for a very large burst, but does 0 damage if it breaks from absorbing hits. So is whirling wrath (which is pretty easy to spot), and GS2 and Smite conditions are strong hits, too.

I find that it’s pretty hard to dodge the initial teleport-burst (judge’s intervention), which can take out like 1/3 of my hp in a fresh air build. Smite condition is also hard to dodge b/c it’s a PBAOE instacast that hits kitten

a scepter build, what works for me is to maintain range as much as possible. DO NOT AUTOATTACK WHEN HE’S STANDING ON HIS GREATSWORD MARK, you’ll eat way more damage in retaliation than you can do with the scepter autoattacks. Keep kiting and laying down dps until he’s popped his meditations (his heals), then go in for the burst. Also, phoenix can hit him through his shelter.

With DD, you should be able to heal him. Kite and heal up after his initial teleport burst. Once you re-engage, try to find the sweet spot where he’s in range of your attacks but can’t reach you with his. Most of your attacks have slightly longer range, so you can get some free damage in this way. Weakness on Air2 helps a lot, as does maintaining cripple/chill/immobilize. If he makes the mistake of popping shelter while standing on one of his greatsword marks, you can interrupt the heal by casting schocking aura and running onto the mark (which will stun him).

If you’re DD and glassy, the fight will be pretty hard and a medi guard who manages his cooldowns properly will probably hardcounter you.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

Lol i will never understand where people make up these statistics. Medi guard will definitely defeat any glass build if the opponent player is not knowledgable enough. A medi guard will never defeat my burst d/d, s/d or sf Ele. They can be kited easily and their burst can be avoided just as easy. Get familiar with their damaging combos and pay very close attention to avoid or counter them. They are easy but annoying in terms of how long a solo encounter against them can last if they are good players even if your damage is high.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

Lol i will never understand where people make up these statistics. Medi guard will definitely defeat any glass build if the opponent player is not knowledgable enough. A medi guard will never defeat my burst d/d, s/d or sf Ele. They can be kited easily and their burst can be avoided just as easy. Get familiar with their damaging combos and pay very close attention to avoid or counter them. They are easy but annoying in terms of how long a solo encounter against them can last if they are good players even if your damage is high.

well medi guards win mostly if the enemy doesnt see it coming due to the 1200 teleport, they can hide behind wall waiting for focus 5 to be rdy, then teleport without LoS working

its like using stealth, (aka hiding by using terrain) then backstabbing someone ..

when u know they are there its easy if u know what to dodge

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Elementalist

Posted by: ResJudicator.7916

ResJudicator.7916

When people say mediguard is a counter, I think they’re referring more to the fact that the mediguard will get a decap while you’re kiting. If you’re not required to stay on point, then it’s pretty easy to beat a mediguard through kiting until he burns his meditation CDs.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Waisenpai.6028

Waisenpai.6028

Neh just roll and make bunny sounds, sig air is a good immobile breaker and blind. Rolling and or change attumentments to earth or water to active chill or air for stun. You could roll in point. It’s way easier to kill mediation guardian than a top 100 HamBow war. But you can take them out even as a D/D ele if you know when to dodge roll or break stun or to flip him. Rupts and flips work since D/D are based on atttrtion warfare and annoyance. I suggest maybe playing mediation guardian so you can understand or watch them in Spvp or Wvw

An easy way is play every single meta, every single profession in the game to become a super adaptive player and have mutual respect to all professions. (or to pretend to be one and dispense luke warm advise on ele forums… cough cough)

You’ll always have to adapt your base style or reaction to multiple enemies. Memories each profession builds’ strength against you, weakness and play style. Then go make a chart, feed bunnies or kittens that may pass by before assessing your own strength and weakness by song or dance… maybe both.

Then you go eat some pie or tip over random people outside your residents before going back to spvp. If you’re not killed by random chinchillas, please continue to spvp or wvw. You’ll notice that you should had stop reading long before the second paragraph…

Hope you have fun and good luck.

Attachments:

Min Min core d/d ele Borlis Pass Bunny Thumper

in Elementalist

Chesire.9043

A build with 4 fire AND 6 Air AND 4 earth. That’s your problem.

You’ll need a lot more in defensive trees (Arcana+Water) to be viable in PvP.

Valuable input for sure. You guys are awesome.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Back to the drawing board. I’m really wanting to stick to a d/f build but if I can’t find something viable with it in the next couple of days then I’ll just hop on the meta train and wait for the next patch day to see if anything else becomes viable.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

Medi guards can be kited really easily. I main S/F and I don’t know anything about D/D so I can’t help you there, but as long as you chill them frequently and use your blinds they aren’t too hard to beat. With Valk gear they can very easily be beaten and in berserker you just need to be more careful. Water 4,5 Air 3 and 5 are your best friends when fighting Med guards. If you play well you should be able to mitigate their damage, you’re only likely to have a hard time if they try really hard to win and LOS you while they heal up.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs

in Elementalist

Chesire.9043

Medi guards can be kited really easily. I main S/F and I don’t know anything about D/D so I can’t help you there, but as long as you chill them frequently and use your blinds they aren’t too hard to beat. With Valk gear they can very easily be beaten and in berserker you just need to be more careful. Water 4,5 Air 3 and 5 are your best friends when fighting Med guards. If you play well you should be able to mitigate their damage, you’re only likely to have a hard time if they try really hard to win and LOS you while they heal up.

Thanks for the tips.

I’m actually not a huge fan of Scepter, but focus is definitely a favorite. I’m thinking I may actually have a pretty good setup now that I’m not focusing entirely into offensive trees.

I need to test against a couple other classes first, though, such as s/d thieves. So far I seem to be holding my own with it and can even survive a 1v2 for quite some time depending on the class. But if one of them is a terrormancer or something with equal amounts of CC there’s not much I can do.

in Elementalist

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

hi Chesire, if u dont mind running a hybrid build instead of burst build.
Try this and see those guardians melt to your fiery power: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fFAQJAodhMMqb23wmBd0AdABxwzhBNlTbjB-TJRGwAAOBAJeAAh2fYZZAA

This is not a meta build so maybe something you might be interested in trying.
This build has adequate defense against CC and conditions.
Cheers.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Elementalist

Chesire.9043

hi Chesire, if u dont mind running a hybrid build instead of burst build.
Try this and see those guardians melt to your fiery power: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fFAQJAodhMMqb23wmBd0AdABxwzhBNlTbjB-TJRGwAAOBAJeAAh2fYZZAA

This is not a meta build so maybe something you might be interested in trying.
This build has adequate defense against CC and conditions.
Cheers.

Thanks mate! Looks interesting.

I was actually trying to get a hybrid build to work and I think I’ve found what I’m looking for but if it doesn’t satisfy my needs I’ll definitely give yours a shot as well. Really appreciate it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DutchRiders.2871

DutchRiders.2871

The typical spike guard will build might during the fight through blocks and crits, their heal (blocks every attack while active), aegis (1) and focus (3) skills can block. Do not waste skills on the heal, since it is easy might for the guardian. Most will run sigil of rage, the quickness on crit will turn them in unavoidable killing machines, so be prepared to pop a defensive utility. Since they lack stability and can be kited pretty easily while at the same time having very low health, wait for your oppertunity and seize it.

Every greatsword attack is easily telegraphed, unless you get stunned/immobilized or caught of guard, in which case you should pop a defensive skill, remove the shield before it explodes, and dodge the follow up / get some distance. From that point apply pressure till the guard runs out of defensive skills and finish him off. It can take quite some time with all the blocks/healing and the occasional renewed focus.

Watch out for the retaliation buff and do not expect to finish of a guardian with utilities off cooldown anytime soon.

(edited by DutchRiders.2871)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Its not a hybrid build but it is indeed very unique.

Hybrid builds are usually 02066 or 00266 with celestial all round and lemongrass with hoelbrak runes and a pair of daggers. 02246 with cantrips and a hybrid build is alot of fun

Edit

Found a hybrid build. This is the usual hybrid DnD ele

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fFAQJAoYhcM6c23wwBf0AdAB5xqvRBlzbjB-T1BEABS8AA0S5Xf6BA4EAIoSQMV/Jm9HCAgA4n/8n/8n/sf7bf7bf7byAwMGA-w

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

(edited by Fuzzion.2504)

in Elementalist

Chesire.9043

Hybrid builds are usually 02066 or 00266 with celestial all round and lemongrass with hoelbrak runes and a pair of daggers. 02246 with cantrips and a hybrid build is alot of fun

Edit

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fFAQJAoYhcM6c23wwBf0AdAB5xqvRBlzbjB-T1BEABS8AA0S5Xf6BA4EAIoSQMV/Jm9HCAgA4n/8n/8n/sf7bf7bf7byAwMGA-w

The 02246 is actually what I’ve discovered recently with d/f and it feels very versatile and fun to play. I haven’t decided on an amulet yet, but strength runes and battle/doom sigils work for it.

I’m trying to stay away from using Celestial amulet with this one if at all possible. Right now I’m using Carrion. I’m putting up a way better fight against guardians with all those extra heals from water and EA. My only concern now are those HgH engi’s; those guys still hit like trucks and with all the condi removal I am packing it doesn’t seem to matter in some fights.

Again, my issues are boiling down to L2P issues now I think, thanks to all the awesome replies this thread has gotten.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Edit

The 02246 is actually what I’ve discovered recently with d/f and it feels very versatile and fun to play. I haven’t decided on an amulet yet, but strength runes and battle/doom sigils work for it.

I’m trying to stay away from using Celestial amulet with this one if at all possible. Right now I’m using Carrion. I’m putting up a way better fight against guardians with all those extra heals from water and EA. My only concern now are those HgH engi’s; those guys still hit like trucks and with all the condi removal I am packing it doesn’t seem to matter in some fights.

Again, my issues are boiling down to L2P issues now I think, thanks to all the awesome replies this thread has gotten.

Unless aiming for full bunker or full condi, the hybrid ele has nothing to worry about. Just get Celestial have a stress free time. Or in the alternative find professional build makers.You find them from referrals. They will make you a build that beats anything out there for a price(when i mean price i mean 200 to 500 gold)

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in Elementalist

Chesire.9043

They will make you a build that beats anything out there for a price(when i mean price i mean 200 to 500 gold)

Holy crap.

I wasn’t even aware that was a thing. I’m not sure that would even be an option for me but that’s something I wasn’t aware of. O_o

in Elementalist

Lettuce.2945

They will make you a build that beats anything out there for a price(when i mean price i mean 200 to 500 gold)

Holy crap.

I wasn’t even aware that was a thing. I’m not sure that would even be an option for me but that’s something I wasn’t aware of. O_o

Lol. I wasn’t aware of this as well. But if this is indeed true, that’s pathetic. The secret to making builds is to understand every single profession and how they work. For example, are you fighting a medi guard with a GS and sword/focus or hammer/focus? Or are you fighting a bunker guard? Etc… Are you fighting a boon strip thief, mesmer, or necro? Or condi thief, mesmer, necro? Are you fighting a mesmer that does dps when he shatters or applies conditions on you when you destroy his clones? Are you fighting a mesmer that constantly dazes you (lockdown mesmer)? Just some examples to think about and how you could think about countering them.

And understanding which condition is worth cleansing and which is just worth sitting on until it runs out.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ankushp.7245

Ankushp.7245

Try Full condi build with Stone heart and S/D. Its a fun change from burst and pretty effective on guards/wars.

in Elementalist

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

every profession has a hard counter. and anyone who wants to sell you a build should be reported for scamming.

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in Elementalist

Chesire.9043

I’ve been trying a different variety of builds over the past couple weeks. I’ve found that I enjoy the dagger focus weapon set over the others but I haven’t settled into a build yet.

I’ve dabbled with lightning rod, auras, condies, and pure power; I think the lightning rod build is the most fun, especially when combined with Tornado in team fights or trying to save a downed ally BUT it seems to be missing something that I can’t quite place my finger on. Most of the builds I make do, in fact.

I’m trying not to go into s/d for condi but if it comes to that I will I suppose. I just really want to make a viable versatile d/f build before changing weapon sets. I’ve put a lot of time into that weapon set and it’s the most fun to use to me. So I’m going to give it a little more time.

On topic of the post, though, I’ve come a long way in fighting medi guards now thanks to all of your posts. So thanks for that, you all are awesome.

in Elementalist

Neko.9021

in Elementalist

Chesire.9043

Thanks Neko! One question, what made you choose LS over say Arcane Shield, Mist Form, or AoE?

Right now I’m running 0/6/0/4/4 with it and I have to say it’s a pretty fun build, albeit somewhat fragile as I’m using zerker amulet. It can hit like a truck, brings some team support, and has a good range of CC. The only drawback is I can’t survive any kind of 1v2.

(edited by Chesire.9043)

in Elementalist

Neko.9021

Thanks Neko! One question, what made you choose LS over say Arcane Shield, Mist Form, or AoE?

Right now I’m running 0/6/0/4/4 with it and I have to say it’s a pretty fun build, albeit somewhat fragile as I’m using zerker amulet. It can hit like a truck, brings some team support, and has a good range of CC. The only drawback is I can’t survive any kind of 1v2.

Lightning Flash is simply one of the best spells Eles have in general. Blinks are just one of those really high value utility types, and besides the usual combos (Burning Speed + Lightning Flash), the ability to re-position yourself and/or do instant damage is just too good.

Also, the signets aren’t just there for the passives. Signet of Earth with Focus is just really strong, and proactively using the Signet of Air’s instant blind is a great defense mechanism (and of course, you can always use it reactively as a stunbreak).