Squishiest class, yet lacking block/evade?

in Elementalist

Posted by: STRanger.5120

STRanger.5120

I played an ele at lvl 80 (not much, most pve ) and from what I noticed is that ele’s can easy stack might through combo fields/signet of battle/… allowing them to trait or equip defensivily. Also we can use sigil of energy without to much problems. That results in an extra dodge every 9~12 second.

Yeah, that works in PvE, PvP/WvW environment is unfortunately a different case.

#ELEtism 4ever

in Elementalist

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

How’s he not experiencing it when he states “I’m not the only one who experiences these bugs, if you search the forums a bit, you’ll see m8.”

I too experience these issues, have since beta, yes, in most cases it is due to connectivity, but often it is not.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kontrolle.3514

Kontrolle.3514

I played an ele at lvl 80 (not much, most pve ) and from what I noticed is that ele’s can easy stack might through combo fields/signet of battle/… allowing them to trait or equip defensivily. Also we can use sigil of energy without to much problems. That results in an extra dodge every 9~12 second.

Im able to buff myself and other with 10+ stacks of might very easaly, you not?

in Elementalist

STRanger.5120

Im able to buff myself and other with 10+ stacks of might very easaly, you not?

You’re also very easily missing the point of the forum posts, obviously.

#ELEtism 4ever

in Elementalist

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

a thing that most ele ignores…..

Stacking might via skill leads to burn of your insanely long CD…..

So stacking might at the cost of skills is a huge drawback unless you can hit your opponent….and in many case you won t or you will burn skills you need.

That is the same reason in difficult situation you don t “rotate” in order to keep you attunements and skills ready.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Elementalist

STRanger.5120

a thing that most ele ignores…..

Stacking might via skill leads to burn of your insanely long CD…..

So stacking might at the cost of skills is a huge drawback unless you can hit your opponent….and in many case you won t or you will burn skills you need.

That is the same reason in difficult situation you don t “rotate” in order to keep you attunements and skills ready.

Thanks man, I’m glad that at least someone understands what I was trying to say, I just don’t have the patience like you do

#ELEtism 4ever

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

How’s he not experiencing it when he states “I’m not the only one who experiences these bugs, if you search the forums a bit, you’ll see m8.”

I too experience these issues, have since beta, yes, in most cases it is due to connectivity, but often it is not.

I misread his comment while I was on the move. My reply came out in a rude tone so I deleted my comment. Most importantly, if this was an actual bug then everyone that spends an adequate amount of time with dagger offhand and LF would experience it with no exception but that is not the case. Finally, let’s assume it is a bug…. That still doesn’t add up to the half of bugged skills/traits he stated in exaggeration.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in Elementalist

MarzAttakz.9608

I misread his comment while I was on the move. My reply came out in a rude tone so I deleted my comment.

Tips hat to a gentleman.

in Elementalist

STRanger.5120

I misread his comment while I was on the move. My reply came out in a rude tone so I deleted my comment. Most importantly, if this was an actual bug then everyone that spends an adequate amount of time with dagger offhand and LF would experience it with no exception but that is not the case. Finally, let’s assume it is a bug…. That still doesn’t add up to the half of bugged skills/traits he stated in exaggeration.

Yeah, I exaggerated, but that doesn’t deny that some of the really important Ele skills/traits are somewhat bugged/not working correctly, and a lot of them are in that state since beta. Honestly, I admire the patience a lot of ppl here have, because I probably used all of mine to overcome the problems/bugs/incompleteness of other games and GW2 combined. I used to play a lot in the past, had more free time also, but now I don’t have that much, so I wish to spend it in a game of a good quality, you surely understand, right?

Edit: And I really like the concept and the idea of GW2, so I would like this to be that game

#ELEtism 4ever

in Elementalist

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Thats not a bug with LF lol. Thats a pathing issue with all blinks and completely avoidable if you know where you can use it. Its to prevent exploiting. Theres nothing they can do to fix it and it has nothing to do with the skill.

Ive never experienced that issue with RTL because i tend to use it for mobility and without targets (Im a pve player). And i do use it to cross gaps and jump over doors so i dont believe thats a pathing issue unless its only when using a target. Which again is nothing to do with the skill be bugged.

So you’re admitting you’re PvE player now, that makes sense.
However I’m not talking about the pathing issue, you are probably thinking that I’m totally dumb, right?
I’m talking about the bug (I don’t care what causes it, it’s bad coding whatever the reason is), all the “blink” type skills do this, even on visually flat surface, no gaps, nothing like that.

And I can assure you, in WvW/PvP, you can’t wait until you get to the place where you know that the skill will work, you have to use it when it’s needed, or you’re deadmeat….

Its not exclusive to pvp and wvw. It happens on many places in dungeons where it really shouldnt. And it is a pathing issue. The terrain looks flat but due to the way the textures were put together it acts asif there is a pathing issue. This can only be fixed by editing the terrain. So again i repeat its nothing to do with LF, its a pathing bug.

Anyway is there something wrong with being a pve player?

in Elementalist

STRanger.5120

Thats not a bug with LF lol. Thats a pathing issue with all blinks and completely avoidable if you know where you can use it. Its to prevent exploiting. Theres nothing they can do to fix it and it has nothing to do with the skill.

Ive never experienced that issue with RTL because i tend to use it for mobility and without targets (Im a pve player). And i do use it to cross gaps and jump over doors so i dont believe thats a pathing issue unless its only when using a target. Which again is nothing to do with the skill be bugged.

However I’m not talking about the pathing issue, you are probably thinking that I’m totally dumb, right?
I’m talking about the bug (I don’t care what causes it, it’s bad coding whatever the reason is), all the “blink” type skills do this, even on visually flat surface, no gaps, nothing like that.

And I can assure you, in WvW/PvP, you can’t wait until you get to the place where you know that the skill will work, you have to use it when it’s needed, or you’re deadmeat….

Its not exclusive to pvp and wvw. It happens on many places in dungeons where it really shouldnt. And it is a pathing issue. The terrain looks flat but due to the way the textures were put together it acts asif there is a pathing issue. This can only be fixed by editing the terrain. So again i repeat its nothing to do with LF, its a pathing bug.

Nothing wrong with that, I didn’t meant it somewhat offensively m8.
There is just that difference, in PvE you can predict and position yourself better for those skills to work without an issue, in the other environments it’s much harder while in a fight.
Even though it’s a pathing issue, it’s still the issue which haven’t been fixed since beta and which adds more of our favourite RNG to the game, this time to skills itself, and I really don’t like that, what about you?

#ELEtism 4ever

in Elementalist

Posted by: P Fun Daddy.1208

P Fun Daddy.1208

It’s not that there’s something wrong with being a PvE player, it’s just that it makes it hard to gauge relative effectiveness of classes in PvE because you’re all on the same team, and PvE tends on the easier side of things.
Balance in PvP is a whole different bird, because our squishiness becomes extremely relevant.

in Elementalist

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I completely agree balance is very different for both. But i disagree on gauging effectiveness. Theres a reason why organised groups favour various class compositions and build certain ways. We have to know the classes inside out to maximise efficiency and push ourselves to squeeze seconds out of dungeon clears. This involves building maximum dps which is a hell of a lot squishier than most pvp players build and although its a different gametype its very punishing in some areas of pve. Bosses that bleed or burn melt eles really fast if you dont have a cleanse and many bosses can 1shot or close to with a single attack. So we have to rely on blocks, evades, blinds and so on to survive.

Yes ele has a very low hp pool and thats what makes it difficult for inexperienced players with the class. But ele has loads of really strong defense options to make up for the low hp. Not to mention the ridiculous damage potential they can achieve. If you gave them more defense then it would be completely unbalanced and you would have to nerf ele dps to compensate. I suppose a few things could get slightly reduced cooldowns but only very minor imo. I feel like ele is probably the most well designed and balanced classes in the game and has been for a while.

(edited by spoj.9672)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Ele’s are a great class for PvE, no doubt.

The OP would be speaking in regard to PvP.

In PvP the elementalist has nothing they can fall back on. They’re good a numerous things, but not great or exceptional at anything.

Come up with any elementalist PvP meta build and there’s another class with a similar build with better survivability, mobility, or DPS. Those three things are what dominate PvP.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

“The jack of all trades, master of none,
is oft outdone by the master of one.”

I don’t know who said it originally (I doubt anyone does), but I’m pretty sure this applies nicely to eles.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

“The jack of all trades, master of none,
is oft outdone by the master of one.”

I don’t know who said it originally (I doubt anyone does), but I’m pretty sure this applies nicely to eles.

Exactly, why use a profession that specializes at nothing and isn’t strong enough in enough areas to compensate, when you can use a profession to fulfill a role on a team better.

In PvP there’s two roles. Bunker and roamer, the ele can do neither near as well as other professions and it’s not good enough at speccing for both at the same time to warrant taking either. In fact most other professions are also better at speccing for both roles at the same time than the Ele.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in Elementalist

MarzAttakz.9608

I completely agree balance is very different for both. But i disagree on gauging effectiveness. Theres a reason why organised groups favour various class compositions and build certain ways. We have to know the classes inside out to maximise efficiency and push ourselves to squeeze seconds out of dungeon clears. This involves building maximum dps which is a hell of a lot squishier than most pvp players build and although its a different gametype its very punishing in some areas of pve. Bosses that bleed or burn melt eles really fast if you dont have a cleanse and many bosses can 1shot or close to with a single attack. So we have to rely on blocks, evades, blinds and so on to survive.

Yes ele has a very low hp pool and thats what makes it difficult for inexperienced players with the class. But ele has loads of really strong defense options to make up for the low hp. Not to mention the ridiculous damage potential they can achieve. If you gave them more defense then it would be completely unbalanced and you would have to nerf ele dps to compensate. I suppose a few things could get slightly reduced cooldowns but only very minor imo.

You’re building group synergy to shave off a few seconds from a dungeon run, those of us pvp’ing build group synergies to survive. There’s a massive difference between a speed run (implying you know exactly what to expect and when to expect it) and facing multiple thinking opponents who are also built for group synergy.

The only part of your statement I agree with is the following.

I feel like ele is probably the most well designed and balanced classes in the game and has been for a while.

Trouble is when compared to other classes it doesn’t really matter.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

I I feel like ele is probably the most well designed and balanced classes in the game and has been for a while.

No….
Its a game and its meant to have fun….

The overall cooldowns are not fun.

If you want to make every class unfun follow ele development.

For any skill give anothersimilar but totally worse in another tree..
At that point double the cd on everything and halve the effect……
Also make 4-8 skills situational or totally bad.

waiting is not fun….

We pay only for the burst potential of having so many skills.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Elementalist

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

Indeed it is a game.
Ele may or may not be underpowered, but dang is it fun. Therefore it is an excellent class as far as I’m concerned.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

I have experienced the stop-short bug with RTL. At first I thought it was because I hit an AoE and it stopped there (I remember reporting that tunneling wurms would crash into AoEs, in the same way). But it happens a lot on bosses. I dash towards them, from say a 700 range, I pause partway through (though the zap animation continues for the same duration while I stand in place), and then I come out of it without having hit the target. This doubles my cooldown, wastes the little damage I should have done, and when I use updraft at the end, it is out of range.

Another issue is how lag and rubber banding prevent the skill from connecting even when you reach the target. Happens most of the time when used in wvw. It’s quite broken there. And despite all efforts being made, and everything done right, we are still punished with double cooldown when using the skill as intended (not fleeing).

Another issue is how it can be fired backward. Many skills early on which were working when facing away from the enemy were changed to not work. RTL is one of the most necessary to make that change happen in, yet it was omitted. You can be running in PvE and get flung towards non-hostile enemies offscreen, way out of range, even at the bottom of a cliff, causing the skill to fire you to your death. I was desperate for that to be fixed a year ago and it still isn’t.

Another bug is how it randomly stops you at the end of the dash. Sometimes if you hold W, you’ll continue running at the end, other times you stop and are required to let go of the W and repress it in order to continue. This negates the point of the skill, which is to move forward as quickly as possible.

There are bugs also with targets moving. I’ve gotten trapped in walls and been zigzagged bizarrely to my death.

Lightning flash randomly doesn’t port you even when it appears you should(same with Renewal of Air). It can glitch out your animation. It can orient you in bizarre ways that cause you to move in a direction you didn’t want, which is another mobility negater.

Those are just the ones I have experienced.