Staff #1 skills are horrible.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Timelord.8190

Timelord.8190

Can you make these skills hit a moving target? These have a horrible hit ratio when you cast them on a moving target. Revenant has like close to 100% hit ratio on hammer 1, faster moving projectile, and like 220% higher damage vs ele fireball and 5 targets vs 3.

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

(edited by Timelord.8190)

in Elementalist

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

staff is a support weapon. the damage skills are not good on their own in pvp settings, but it has nice utility

in Elementalist

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

Or remove the range and allow skillshots with action camera I’d be happy like a kid on christmas day.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Fire ball and “lighting attk” are good water is ok even with out healing power is very strong with healing power and out going heal. Earth 1 is week if only it was aoe for 3 targets and worked like morder 1 skill for eng so you could get aoe combo finisher.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Timelord.8190

staff is a support weapon. the damage skills are not good on their own in pvp settings, but it has nice utility

Staff is a support/dmg dealer weapon. That’s where the different elements comes in. Fire attunement is all about dmg. So why is it so low? It’s silly that a class like revenant got a better dmg skill, just as long range with 2 more targets, way higher hit chance than a light armored caster. The balance is so bad.

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ocren.9734

Ocren.9734

I haven’t used staff in about 2 years. staff imho is a more support weapon when your in a group. yes you can use it as a main damage dealer if spec right. I didn’t that the rev gets a better auto attack than ele which is kinda lame and should be fixed

wish auto on sceptor fire, water and earth would match air though

in Elementalist

Posted by: Alekt.5803

Alekt.5803

No it is not. “Staff is a support weapon” because the offensive parts of it, which are significant, are simply flawed and ineffective, hence why it is called a “support weapon”.

Alerie Despins

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mechalibur.9618

Mechalibur.9618

Ele has weaker autos because it has a very large range of cooldown abilities. You have 4 attunements, allowing you to cast 16 other weapon abilities in between your auto attacks, many of which wreck havoc among a zerg.

If you’re talking about poor 1v1 potential, then too bad. Staff isn’t amazing at everything. It’s great at PvE DPS, zerging, support, and PvP teamfights, but it’s not great at dueling. Them’s the breaks.

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

they’re “ineffective” intentionally

in Elementalist

Alekt.5803

they’re “ineffective” intentionally

I think you put anet designer too high in your esteem. Weapons have not been looked at for a very, very long while. Just look at Conjured Weapon auto-attacks for instance.

Lightning Hammer would seem to be designed to have a better auto-attack than any conjured weapon. But it is not true. Earth Shield auto-attack dps is higher when counting aftercasts and true animations. I don’t believe that Earth Shield was designed to have a higher dps than Hammer.

As for staff being “designed to be ineffective”: it has never been stated as such, or I missed the statement. It just happened to be inneffective and was never fixed because the support side of it is fine.

Alerie Despins

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

hammer has more dps than shield by my tests. but only slightly.

and lighting whip has higher dps than either…

in Elementalist

Alekt.5803

hammer has more dps than shield by my tests. but only slightly.

and lighting whip has higher dps than either…

Speaking of designs. It seems to be more randomly effective or ineffective than intentionnal.

Alerie Despins

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

-fireball has some nice dps when used on top of 3 other mobs that are standing in your lava font
-Water blast has weak dmg, slow attack but it does heal nicely. Most commonly used to heal the melees that hit your target (a boss or a champion). Can also be aimed where it lands in order to self heal if you shoot it in your feet, or in npcs.
-Chain lightning has decent dmg, also hits 3 targets like fireball but instead of blasting 3 that are near each other they bounce on 3 different enemies that are far away from each other or moving. Most commonly used to “tag” many mobs during a event of some sort with lots of mobs around.
-Stoning has ok dmg, single target only, applies weakness for 3 seconds (it is kind of a permanent protection against the boss or a few elite mobs). A lot of people forget that this skill is a spammable 100% projectile finisher. Use it to your advantage as you on your own have lots of combo fields with your staff alone.

Elementalist is about switching attunements and using the various tools to your advantage whenever a specific situation shows up. Other classes do this as well. They can only use 2 skill sets for their situation, we have 4

in Elementalist

Timelord.8190

Fireball deals the same amount of dmg if they either are standing in lava font or not. I don’t get why you would bring that up.
And i’m not even talking about PvE, i said moving targets. PvE mobs hardly move at all, so that’s not a problem. Sure elementalist got 4 different #1 skills, but that doesen’t give any benefit if they are all less than medicore skills, with the same or longer casting time than other classes. The problem i have with them is that they have like 50% miss ratio on moving targets, and deals a low amount of dmg.

I don’t get why you list this basic info instead of talking about the issue, why do you even comment in my thread?

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

air 1 never misses for me

in Elementalist

Timelord.8190

What about fireball?

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mem no Fushia.7604

Mem no Fushia.7604

What about fireball?

To express my disatisfaction: I would cover my eyes when using it, to not destroy my mental health with that tennis gameplay.

Yes, autoattack tends to miss. I would check how it would look like with 1300 range instead 1200 only on autoattacks.

How is it possible to do: 1 weapon, with 20 skills and make them lack and use it as excuse for balance sake.

Our balance for weapons skill amount is attunement 10 s. cd when leaving out from that attunement and 1,5. cd on other attunements that you didn’t decide to swap. You can only use one attunement at a time.

We are further punished with aftercast on many skills and game doesn’t provide info about that in any tooltip.

We are further punished with traits.

We are furhter punished with utilities.

So at least weapons skills could mean more in our gameplay.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

Fireball deals the same amount of dmg if they either are standing in lava font or not. I don’t get why you would bring that up.
And i’m not even talking about PvE, i said moving targets. PvE mobs hardly move at all, so that’s not a problem. Sure elementalist got 4 different #1 skills, but that doesen’t give any benefit if they are all less than medicore skills, with the same or longer casting time than other classes. The problem i have with them is that they have like 50% miss ratio on moving targets, and deals a low amount of dmg.

I don’t get why you list this basic info instead of talking about the issue, why do you even comment in my thread?

What i dont understand is what do you expect from a weapon that is designed as a long range /support / “heavy magical” weapon for the ele? (compared to the others ,the scepter would be medium range semi-burst and dagers would be short range burst weapons)

I mentioned that pairing the 1200 range 3 target splash auto attack fireball with the 5 target aoe heavy hiting lava font can deal huge amount of dmg compared to other classes “combos”.

You think a fireball is slow and cant hit a moving target? Try using a scepter on a guardian.

And why would a massive* fireball ,a bolder or a bucket amount of water move trough air as fast as a arrow?

*Fireballs used to be massive…then the visual nerfs came

in Elementalist

Timelord.8190

I expect it to not miss first of all, and at least deal dmg on pair with other classes 1200 ranged skills. Guardian with scepter can hit 4 times a sec. It’s okey if it’s a slow moving projectile if the hit ratio is high.

Ever seen burning arrows? I don’t see why a fireball couldn’t move that fast. It’s magic after all. :P

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

Your mindset is wrong in my opinion. It’s not that Elementalist Staff 1 is too weak, it’s that revenant hammer is too strong. Hammer Bolt should have never been tuned such that the auto attack hits more than melee hammer.

I don’t recall seeing this type of thread until after Heart of Thorns.

At the end of the day, skills like Dual shot (Warrior longbow 1), Fierce shot (warrior rifle 1), Long range shot (Ranger longbow 1), crossfire (ranger shortbow 1), trickshot (thief shortbow 1), puncture shot (DH longbow 1) , Necrotic grasp (necro staff 1) , vital shot (thief pistol 1), richochet (Ranger axe 1) are still considered projectile. Due to the amount of projectile hate, they need to be stronger than a skill like Fireball.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

(edited by Infusion.7149)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Keadron.9570

Keadron.9570

Would fireball not be considered a projectile as well? I mean it is an object hurling through the air

in Elementalist

Timelord.8190

Yes, fireball is also a projectile.

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

in Elementalist

Infusion.7149

Would fireball not be considered a projectile as well? I mean it is an object hurling through the air

It’s not a reflectable projectile AFAIK

It certainly doesn’t trigger combo fields.

The projectile hate includes:
Sublime Conversion
Magnetic Aura
Electro-whirl
Flaming Fury
Shattering Blow
Smoke Screen
Dagger Storm
Whirling Defense
Magnetic Wave
Phantasmal Warden
Mirror
Field of the Mists
Swirling Winds
Shield of Absorption
Protective Solace
Magnetic Shield
Sanctuary
Feedback , Wall of Reflection

in Elementalist

Timelord.8190

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fireball
It is!
It can still deal splash dmg to those who use reflect if it hit’s somebody that doesen’t reflect it, or you aim it at the ground next to them.

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

in Elementalist

Posted by: raubvogel.5071

raubvogel.5071

take a look at https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Necrotic_Grasp and be happy. at least from a dmg pov

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

take a look at https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Necrotic_Grasp and be happy. at least from a dmg pov

I see your Necrotic Grasp and raise you Wave of Wrath.

in Elementalist

Infusion.7149

Wave of wrath has a large radius; it is mostly used for tagging at roughly melee range.

The damage modifiers on Orb of Light / Symbol of Swiftness aren’t bad & Empower is a must in WvW.

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Fireball autos can’t be stronger b/c PvE mobs are dumb and stand in your lava fonts eating constant ticks to the tune of maximum dps in-game (when combined with autos).

Fireball being unreliable/slow-moving, however, is not called for.

I personally don’t think the autos are a problem. I would like to see them address air auto (it is supposed to be high single-target damage…but isn’t), as well as gust (too small of a cone), blinding flash (forever cast time for low dps and a blind?!?!), and shockwave (too slow), but on the whole I don’t think staff autos are all that problematic.

From a pvp perspective, I would like to see some changes that make staff skills more reliable while not buffing pve damage, such as moving ticks of lava font sooner after the cast, and maybe decreasing the blast time for eruption a bit. You could tweak staff to be more effective in pvp without buffing in pve at all. That said, it still has a pretty decent kit for support (mostly due to cc and water fields), it is just that b/c of no weapon-swap ele weapons need to be more adaptable to different roles.

in Elementalist

Alekt.5803

Fireball autos can’t be stronger b/c PvE mobs are dumb and stand in your lava fonts eating constant ticks to the tune of maximum dps in-game (when combined with autos).

Fireball being unreliable/slow-moving, however, is not called for.

I personally don’t think the autos are a problem. I would like to see them address air auto (it is supposed to be high single-target damage…but isn’t), as well as gust (too small of a cone), blinding flash (forever cast time for low dps and a blind?!?!), and shockwave (too slow), but on the whole I don’t think staff autos are all that problematic.

From a pvp perspective, I would like to see some changes that make staff skills more reliable while not buffing pve damage, such as moving ticks of lava font sooner after the cast, and maybe decreasing the blast time for eruption a bit. You could tweak staff to be more effective in pvp without buffing in pve at all. That said, it still has a pretty decent kit for support (mostly due to cc and water fields), it is just that b/c of no weapon-swap ele weapons need to be more adaptable to different roles.

The air auto-attacks are very good in PvP. The bounces can pull off a great “single target” damage if it hits twice. Sad part is that the damage is purposefully reduced by 15% on the last tick. A treatment that was surely not given to the triple Precision Strike we see from sword Revenant nowadays.

Alerie Despins

(edited by Alekt.5803)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

Wave of wrath has a large radius; it is mostly used for tagging at roughly melee range.

The damage modifiers on Orb of Light / Symbol of Swiftness aren’t bad & Empower is a must in WvW.

I never said the rest of the guardian’s staff was bad, although Orb of Light and Symbol of Swiftness have mediocre damage at best.

To contrast, Necrotic Grasp can be used to generate a lot of life force in a crowd; Wave of Wrath is used for farming. It’s not worth the time it takes to cast in any serious fight.

in Elementalist

Posted by: bladex.9502

bladex.9502

Fireball is one of the strongest autoattacks in the game, taking in mind that you can have a lava font on the ground at the same time which can be used for damage or to pressure your enemy.
It also has a pretty decent AoE explosion, so if your foe tries to sidestep it and you aim at the ground it will still hit him.
I would argue that earth 1 is pretty bad, but you generally want to stay away from camping earth too long so you shouldn’t autoattack in earth at all.

If you’re going to complain about skills being useless, try scepter first, because compared to scepter skills staff is severely overpowered.

in Elementalist

Alekt.5803

Fireball is one of the strongest autoattacks in the game, taking in mind that you can have a lava font on the ground at the same time which can be used for damage or to pressure your enemy.
It also has a pretty decent AoE explosion, so if your foe tries to sidestep it and you aim at the ground it will still hit him.
I would argue that earth 1 is pretty bad, but you generally want to stay away from camping earth too long so you shouldn’t autoattack in earth at all.

If you’re going to complain about skills being useless, try scepter first, because compared to scepter skills staff is severely overpowered.

If you consider putting “lava font” at the same time; we’re no longer speaking of auto-attack. Fire auto-attacks never hit and the attack rate is 1 attack pet 1.4 seconds; that’s weak.

Alerie Despins

in Elementalist

bladex.9502

If you consider putting “lava font” at the same time; we’re no longer speaking of auto-attack. Fire auto-attacks never hit and the attack rate is 1 attack pet 1.4 seconds; that’s weak.

Then its just a l2p issue on your end tbh, I rarely miss them.
With some might and vuln fire autoattacks can easily do over 5k damage, and even tho lava font is not an autoattack, it can be used at the same time, and should be taken in consideration when balancing the autoattack around it.
After all, your autoattack is just a filler between skill cooldowns.

Just a little word of advice I guess since missing them is a big deal for you, try binding your action camera on/off toggle to an easily accessible key and turn it on when you have to autoattack so you can aim towards the ground easier, or just get used to the curve they take and aim that way

(edited by bladex.9502)

in Elementalist

Mem no Fushia.7604

With some might and vuln fire autoattacks can easily do over 5k damage, and even tho lava font is not an autoattack, it can be used at the same time, and should be taken in consideration when balancing the autoattack around it.

Just a little word of advice I guess since missing them is a big deal for you, try binding your action camera on/off toggle to an easily accessible key and turn it on when you have to autoattack so you can aim towards the ground easier, or just get used to the curve they take and aim that way

Lava font can’t be used (casted) at the same time becouse it have 1/5s of cast time. Then 1s to thick, so its make it 1,2s total for dmg. After that first 1/5s ofc you can cast fireball. The other issue about lava font would be that it have aftercast which makes its cd longer. Even tooltip shows only total amount for dmg from lava font. If it supposed to pressure enemies it should contain info about dmg per thick for transparency.

in Elementalist

Alekt.5803

I think that we’re talking about different game mode here. Lava Font never hit more than once on players, and players strafe, dodge attacks, do dash closer. Fireball crits for 2k big max on light golems. Offensive Staff is good in PvE; absolutely not in PvP.

Alerie Despins

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

earth 1 is way better than fire 1
both do trash damage, but one applies a strong condition

water 1 would be decent if the heal radius were bigger, or if it were ground targeted or something, but people rarely stay in melee of each other for very long

(edited by reikken.4961)

in Elementalist

Mem no Fushia.7604

water 1 would be decent if the heal radius were bigger, or if it were ground targeted or something, but people rarely stay in melee of each other for very long

Water would be nice for heal if it would look: self heal + dmg at target and heal allies 4 at target. We can cut heal allies from 5 to 4. For sake of our health.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

I use action cam with water 1 to splash at my feet. Same with fire.

Edit: staff is the most efficient at close range anyway. That’s if you want your ennemies to stand in your aoes (and your projectiles to hit). At long range, they have enough gap closer to wreck you after you’ve used your cds uselessly. Depends on the situation, but most of the time i have to melee. And tempest is designed to be close range anyway.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

(edited by MyPuppy.8970)

in Elementalist

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

To be honest, I consider staff to be one of our least broken weapon. There is some degree of bias to that since it’s literally the only weapon I played and I don’t think it’s perfect.

Some of the blanket statements here are just not true at all. It’s not necessarily a support weapon. It just is a support weapon in PvP.

In PvE, it’s actually debatabley our highest damaging weapon with only fresh air Tempest builds currently being competitive. The reasoning for this is mastery of the content allows you to forsake all defensive utility in exchange for damage and the mobs aren’t smart enough to move out of our AoEs, ensuring max damage.

Staff elementalist was also top tier in WvW when people still…you know…played WvW. The reasoning for that it’s AoE support, control and damage abilities are very effective when working with zergs.

And in PvP, none of this is the case at all. You can’t build purely offensively, because you just get wrecked and the AoE is less effective when fighting in small controlled battles where it’s really easy to avoid the AoE. The only saving grace to that is point control which forces combat on a very small area, making the staffs AoE abilities more valuable, allowing staff to be used in a support type bunker role.

It used to be pretty kitten for awhile. I was quite successful with it as long as I didn’t engage in fights off point where movement is unrestricted with no penality. It got wrecked pretty hard in the expansion and now even more so with this patch and the removal of Celestial.

As much Anet sucks at balancing, I don’t think the historic problems with Staff in PvP are directly related to class imbalance, but rather the fact that game has three very unique and different game modes that some weapons are just not going to be suited for. You would need seperate spec and skill lines for each to make every weapon viable in every context.

The nature of staff being slow, ranged attacks with almost all AoE abilities just doesn’t fit cleanly into the structure of conquest. You can’t ever get full value from your AoEs unless you end up in some kind of 5v5 team fight.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

(edited by MadRabbit.3179)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Staff fire #1 is superb for dealing damage in PvE.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Elementalist

bladex.9502

I think that we’re talking about different game mode here. Lava Font never hit more than once on players, and players strafe, dodge attacks, do dash closer. Fireball crits for 2k big max on light golems. Offensive Staff is good in PvE; absolutely not in PvP.

I don’t know what build you are playing, but you can clearly see I’m doing 4k-ish crits against a light target golem, and 5k when bolt to the heart kicks in.
Staff is good in pvp, it just requires you to actually play well instead of facerolling with some kittenty celestial d/d build

Attachments:

in Elementalist

Alekt.5803

I don’t know what build you are playing, but you can clearly see I’m doing 4k-ish crits against a light target golem, and 5k when bolt to the heart kicks in.
Staff is good in pvp, it just requires you to actually play well instead of facerolling with some kittenty celestial d/d build

Well, I did put go Fire, Water and Air (Bolt to the Earth, Pyromancer’s Training, Aquamancer, Force sigil, Scholar Runes, Berserker amulet.) Of course, it deals 5k. But, for example, do a duel against me with all those traits and stats (I am marauder staff myself; and I promise that you will not even hit me once with that set-up.).

Nota Bene. Not that it means much, I got legendary last season using only zerk or marauder staff in solo queue.

Alerie Despins

in Elementalist

bladex.9502

Well, I did put go Fire, Water and Air (Bolt to the Earth, Pyromancer’s Training, Aquamancer, Force sigil, Scholar Runes, Berserker amulet.) Of course, it deals 5k. But, for example, do a duel against me with all those traits and stats (I am marauder staff myself; and I promise that you will not even hit me once with that set-up.).

Nota Bene. Not that it means much, I got legendary last season using only zerk or marauder staff in solo queue.

The fact that you got legendary (even tho it doesn’t mean that much in this game) on staff ele kinda shows that staff isn’t as bad as many people are implying here.
Buffing the autoattack would turn it from a perfectly viable spec to an OP spec, and would cause other weapon skills to become useless since autoattacking is more damage, like we saw on revenant in PvE for example.
Not even mentioning that staff ele already is the highest damaging build in the other side of the game, PvE, and buffing it would just bring back stacking as much eles as you can like we saw before HoT

in Elementalist

Timelord.8190

It doesen’t do 4k-5k on that golem without might stacks. You have probably stacked up 25 stacks of might before you attacked it. Wounder how long time you spent on making that picture. I see you got 5 crits in a row, which almost never happens.

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

in Elementalist

bladex.9502

It doesen’t do 4k-5k on that golem without might stacks. You have probably stacked up 25 stacks of might before you attacked it. Wounder how long time you spent on making that picture. I see you got 5 crits in a row, which almost never happens.

I used my eruption, arcane wave and heal in a lava font, since I wanted to replicate a real pvp scenario where you can’t swap from staff.

Also, berserker has a base crit chance of around 55%, with 20% from fury and 7% from the accuracy sigil, then another 9% from sigil of fire, thats 91% crit chance, so 5 crits in a row isn’t that rare.
If I really wanted to tryhard I could have went for force/air, scholar instead of strength, stacked vuln on the golem and prestacked 25 might and then try to go for crit RNG, line up the air sigil proc perfectly and post a screenshot of 1 fireball hitting 9-10k, but I honestly don’t care enough.

But here’s the entire screenshot if you really want, and you can see that pretty much every fireball hits well above 4k, in a solo scenario on a golem with 0 vuln

Attachments:

in Elementalist

Timelord.8190

If you wanted to replicate a real PvP scenario you wouldn’t run this build that’s full offense and zero survival. If you get focused you’re pretty much insta dead.

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

If you wanted to replicate a real PvP scenario you wouldn’t run Staff.

Fixed that for you, don’t worry.

in Elementalist

bladex.9502

If you wanted to replicate a real PvP scenario you wouldn’t run this build that’s full offense and zero survival. If you get focused you’re pretty much insta dead.

I have 91 matches on ele with a 63/28 win/loss ratio, and pretty much all of them are on full offensive staff ele.
You seem to be having a lot of issues with the game yourself tho, since you automatically assume everyone misses their attacks and instantly dies :/

in Elementalist

Timelord.8190

Must be on the NA server. Feel free to show me a video of you doing PvP with this build. I’m very curious if you are for real.

It’s not me who misses, it’s the game mechanic/server or delays who makes it miss. I do WvW so it’s alot less smooth than 5v5 pvp. So it’s a bigger chance to miss.

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

in Elementalist

Alekt.5803

The fact that you got legendary (even tho it doesn’t mean that much in this game) on staff ele kinda shows that staff isn’t as bad as many people are implying here.
Buffing the autoattack would turn it from a perfectly viable spec to an OP spec, and would cause other weapon skills to become useless since autoattacking is more damage, like we saw on revenant in PvE for example.
Not even mentioning that staff ele already is the highest damaging build in the other side of the game, PvE, and buffing it would just bring back stacking as much eles as you can like we saw before HoT

It’s the accuracy of the attacks and their velocity that needs some help. This does not increase the damage of the pve elementalist.

Immediate Lava Font does not increase overall dps. Reduction of cooldown on a few utilities does nothing to the “main rotations of fire”. Giving extra stuff to Stoning, or Shockwave, or gust does not conflict with PvE since they never use that spell for damage anyway.

Staff is garbage, and top mmr folks like to remind me about it at every chances they get.

Alerie Despins