Staff Ele 1v1's in spvp

Staff Ele 1v1's in spvp

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dunecoon.5134

Dunecoon.5134

So I’ve been playing staff ele in spvp recently and I have to say I love it. I do amazing in large team fights but the problem I have is in 1v1 scenarios; its not that I’m dying, its just that I can’t kill anyone. I feel like every 1v1 scnerario I get into revolves around someone chasing me around the map while I constantly kite them and heal myself. I was wondering if anyone had any strategies against specific builds in terms of dueling. Like…

vs power rangers: be sure to do ABC but not XYZ
vs condi necros: be sure to do ABC but not XYZ, etc.

I also came up with a build using a trick from Diva’s condi signet build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fFAQFAWhMMKb23wuBd0ACAW4AQDoIOKIUeOMGSDA-TJRHwACuAAAeAAk2f4YZAA

the idea is the constant burning and blinds will really help out with 1v1 scenarios, the obvious downside is the lack of condi cleansing, hence the ether renewal. PS i haven’t tested this out yet.

Staff Ele 1v1's in spvp

in Elementalist

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

talk to josre he is king of pvp staff ele

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

Staff Ele 1v1's in spvp

in Elementalist

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

i played only d/d or s/f freshair since 2 years. I tried staff since 3 or 4 weeks and it is quite viable in pvp . Celestial is quite strong

Staff Ele 1v1's in spvp

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gokil.2543

Gokil.2543

Winning a 1v1 on a staff ele usually means full capping the point you’re fighting over, not killing the opponent. You should have enough aoe pressure to win most 1v1s that way. Don’t fight in between points.

[Walk] Elemelentalist
Youtube

Staff Ele 1v1's in spvp

in Elementalist

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

i don’t agree, if you fight well you can also win 1 vs1 … obvioulsy freshair sf berserker is much better to make 1 vs 1 but you can win even with staff. Staff has 2 huge waterfield and also a good cc

Staff Ele 1v1's in spvp

in Elementalist

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

If you want a name to duel with, Readymade is also a strong staff ele. He loves to push far and usually wins 1v1 against thieves easily.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Staff Ele 1v1's in spvp

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

You can win (kill, not just cap) 1 v 1 with staff. You have to have a mobile playstyle, make good use or your cc and learn to anticipate where your opponent will move when placing your aoe (helping him make the decision you want if possible). Moving inside your aoe, or on the other side, will make it easier to maximize enemy exposition.

Since staff doesn’t have anything like the explosiveness of the other weapon sets, being able to make space to cast a meteor shower (knowing how much damage you can take before having to let go) will be the key to many victory. The staff ‘spikes’ comes from addition of powerful, albeit slow, skills.

For pewpew rangers I find it easier with a staff than with d/d mainly because of earth 3, not because of the range. In fact, you should aim to fight them up-close. Their auto-attack will be less dangerous and using their pewpewness might kill them if used with such little time to react to their own attack if reflected. The better rangers, IMO, will switch to h2h weapons set when in that situation and the fight become fairer.

You can play as squishy as you want but one thing that will be unforgiving is having too little condi-cleansing. A non-moving ele is a dead ele, so movement impeding condi are especially deadly to you. Poison is the other thing that will be a pain since it strongly messes your great healing.

Staff Ele 1v1's in spvp

in Elementalist

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

I just don’t try and make staff what it’s not: a dueling build.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

Staff Ele 1v1's in spvp

in Elementalist

Posted by: Blackjack.5621

Blackjack.5621

Hey, as staff ele you should not have any issues killing low sustain classes.

General idea is to stack damage sources, not to buff your damage because noone is gonna stand in your fields for long. Thats why doom sigil and rune of the pirate is required if you want to be any useful in duels.

Most of your pressure comes from burning tho. Fire dodgeroll is a big part of that.

I Zapdos I
WTS Boston winner
Esl profile: http://play.eslgaming.com/player/7930634/

Staff Ele 1v1's in spvp

in Elementalist

Posted by: kybraga.7103

kybraga.7103

Normally people who play staff elementalist lack one side of the scale and that side is normally damage. People use staff for tanking a point the most not for zerker…. Unless you are up high and the other team has no range.

Staff Ele 1v1's in spvp

in Elementalist

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

I basically only use zerker amulet while running staff so I’m not sure what you mean with lack of dps… Even in a 1v2 I still have about a 50% of winning…

Staff Ele 1v1's in spvp

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlUeMoNsTeR.7145

BlUeMoNsTeR.7145

Have you tried try Frost Bow? The #5 skill is amazing for stunning and giving enough time to put a ice storm and a lava font on them. I can win a 1v1 against just about any class because of it

80 Ele Fire Cryer 80 Thief Deathlyblade 80 Necro Pale Three
Long time MAV member FC

Staff Ele 1v1's in spvp

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Have you tried try Frost Bow? The #5 skill is amazing for stunning and giving enough time to put a ice storm and a lava font on them. I can win a 1v1 against just about any class because of it

If anyone eats a Deep Freeze, especially in a 1v1, even if you lightning flash in their face as it is cast, they DESERVE to die a swift death. I personally love frostbow on fresh-air ele because of how hilarious it is to deep freeze someone, or coordinate an ice storm on-point with someone, but it honestly not really a 1v1 weapon. On staff, frost bow is just more of something you are already good at.

You COULD consider glyph of ele power (to get the burns) or taking burning precision (adept major in fire) to get some nice free dps, but usually you still want defensive utilities for truly serious play.

Staff Ele 1v1's in spvp

in Elementalist

Posted by: Alekt.5803

Alekt.5803

I would be willing to share my secrets of the art of staff dueling, if you would be willing to send me a private message in-game. I’m in NA.

I have a couple of builds you could consider for dueling. Two variations of power, and one condition staff.

Alerie Despins