Staff Elementalist rune discussion (WvW)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Luimes.4281

Luimes.4281

Hey guys.

I wanted to start a discussion on rune sets for Staff Ele’s.
Just curious what people think about what the ’’best’’ rune is for dps Staff Ele.

Atm viable choices there are atm are:

-Strenght Runes
-Eagle Runes
-Scholar Runes

Now these are the 3 main runes that are probably being used with Strenght obviously being the favorite these days and probably the best choice. I still would like to hear people’s opinions.

An unconventional rune I looked at was Infiltration runes.

what is meme

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gokil.2543

Gokil.2543

Scholar all the way. You don’t put out enough might to warrant runes of strength. On top of that you’ll be above 90 percent a lot of the time as a dps staff elementalist (channel er to counter retal damage when showering).

The gamebreaker however is that ferocity is fenomenal for boosting your damage when meteornado’ing. You get a huge boost to power and precision in tornado, so both of them hit diminishing returns quite substantially. Ferocity is therefore a very important stat for dps staff, given how important the shower tornado combo is.

[Walk] Elemelentalist
Youtube

in Elementalist

Posted by: Luimes.4281

Luimes.4281

I begger to differ on the might output. You can keep perma might uptime without running battle sigil. Combined with sigil of battle you will have 6-8 stacks of might stable through fights.

And you might stay above 90% health if there is a 40 man melee train to guard you. But im speaking in terms of more organized guild raids. I think ferocity indeed is nice but I have my doubts on maintaining that DMG modifier

what is meme

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gokil.2543

Gokil.2543

I begger to differ on the might output. You can keep perma might uptime without running battle sigil. Combined with sigil of battle you will have 6-8 stacks of might stable through fights.

And you might stay above 90% health if there is a 40 man melee train to guard you. But im speaking in terms of more organized guild raids. I think ferocity indeed is nice but I have my doubts on maintaining that DMG modifier

If you’re playing glass ele, you’re either dead or full hp. I know that’s a big hyperbole, and you probably won’t play full glass, but my point is the same. Generally when you’re not full hp, you won’t be doing damage either. DPS ele is all about freecasting and positioning. When you’re not freecasting at full hp minus retaliation damage, you’ll be running away from a thief or repositioning depending on what your and their melee ball is doing, scholar bonus isn’t active, but you’re not doing damage either.

Strength is nice for the 100 percent reliable modifier, but I feel like the added impact damage you get from scholar is more meaningful. That first cast to obliterate a choke will do a lot more damage with scholars. In sustained fights strength will catch up due to superior uptime and extra might stacks from battle, but I value a strong initial punishing over the long-term dps. Fights are often won due to the element of surprise from a staff ele’s opening.

That’s my opinion anyway. Strength runes will also work great of course.

[Walk] Elemelentalist
Youtube

in Elementalist

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Strength runes works quite well with strength sigil. They keep might lasting a bit longer. There aren’t many opportunities for might stacking during mid fight besides strength sigil. I use runes of ranger for my pvt set to supply the additional precision.

I once had my HP dropped from 100% to 10% by retaliation after casting meteor shower on a zerg in my zerker/scholar set. In a guild raid, you would want sustainability over damage, so find your own balance, I guess…

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids