Staff necessary for Dungeons?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aurum.9534

Aurum.9534

So, I don’t do dungeon’s all that much. I run a D/D build, and there were times in Ascalonian catacombs dungeon where I could’nt hit the boss guy. So should I start using the staff more, do later dungeons require longer range weapons, or if I used scepter/dagger it would work too?

in Elementalist

Posted by: pdboddy.4162

pdboddy.4162

I have only done one dungeon, AC story mode. I discovered that it was harder than I thought. I tried a few different weapons, and I found it more manageable with the staff. Easier to stay out of the fires, easier to see when someone goes down, and easier to get spells on target. You also have a really large aoe heal with water 5, which helps because everyone is moving to avoid traps and spells and such.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

I play staff all the time, but when starting the dungeons I did a little changing because of the enviroment. But all in all I found the staff, at least for me, to be the most effective in the dungeons. I have a 30-0-0-20-20 Build I use with it. It helps keep the DPS up and then just make sure I dodge enough to stay out of the line of fire.

Hjorje

in Elementalist

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

I run d/d in regular dungeons in most situations, but only use staff for fractals. If I were running tankier gear I think d/d would be viable even there, but it’s just so much easier to play from range, and the staff skillset is amazing for that kind of drawn out group fights anyway.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

There are times when range is 100% necessary. Off the top of my head I remember a boss in one of the Arah paths where there were geysers scattered about and everyone had to stand on one or else hordes of adds would spawn. This would require you to stand in one spot a good ways away from the boss.

In general there are several situations where range is just better, so yes, I always carry a staff around even if I prefer D/D. Staff is also much better than D/D against large groups.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Alilinke.7690

Alilinke.7690

There’s no problem with running D/D in dungeons. If you know the fights well you shouldn’t have a problem surviving at close range. Just learn patterns and you’ll be fine. Personally, I use full berserker gear and rotate between Staff, D/D and D/F depending on the boss.

I’ve found Staff to be my weapon of choice with organized groups, and D/D with PuGs. For instance, using staffs combo fields with my regular group will achieve a lot for group DPS, but most PuGs wouldn’t know what to do with them.

[nA] Professional Guild Hall Decorator

in Elementalist

Posted by: Razor.6392

Razor.6392

I use all 3.

Random list of weapon choices for specific encounters:

-Legendary svanir shaman @ fractals: S/D (dragon tooth can hit him when he’s at the top, cool stuff)
-Swamp @ fractals: Staff.
-Ascalon’s urban battleground @ fractals: Staff 24/7. Either s/d or staff for final boss.
-CoF p2: D/D. (staff for crossing the magma fields and the magg’s defense part. S/D for the final boss + glyph of storms switch / ice bow)
-CoF p1: D/D. (staff for the flame acolyte part, equip lightning flash for the bouncing rocks part, s/d for the brazier part, and either d/d or s/d for the final boss)

As you can see, I change my weps and utility stats depending on the situation. It should become obvious as you play ele more and more.

Level 60 pvp
Ele & thief main (full ascended)
Down with the braindead faceroll classes.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jabiacas Horologium.4976

Jabiacas Horologium.4976

Not necessary. If you are new to the dungeon it really helps to use ranged weapons no matter what profession you are until you learn the fights and how to manage your aggro. (look at the wiki for aggro mechanics) Once you get things figured out, use what weapons and trait builds you feel comfortable with.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Donut.6914

Donut.6914

I actually think D/D aura sharing is the best build for dungeons. I always keep Frost Bow on my utility bar in case I have to jump out of melee range and catch my breath.

I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. I swung a sword again—-hey hey that’s great!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

If you want to round out your playing skill as any class, learn what each weapon set does. Yes, you can do most content with any one set of weapons, but for best results, use what is most appropriate.

Only ele in group? Use staff for better group combos and support, increase overall group DPS beyond what you can output yourself in any case.

Two eles in a group? Maybe one can use staff, the other D/D for more DPS and point support.

Hard encounter requiring high survivability? Use S/F for ranged DPS and defensive abilities.

Your builds can be adapted too. I always turn on my Blasting Staff trait when equipping staff, and switch it for something else when using other weapon sets.

Insisting on using just one weapon set and a specific set of skills regardless of circumstance can and will put you in a position where you won’t be of much use to the group.

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

in Elementalist

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

i used staff as backup for a long time….
99% of times scepter focus are better backup options

Staff have huge problems:
1) attack rate is slow as hell

2) most Attacks are so slow you cannot hit any mobile target

3) even autoattack is slow and can be evaded by mobs (just walking)

4) despite the slow channeling the damage/effect is meh compared to any other weapon/profession

5) slow channeling and often requires you to stand still (water and fire 5)

6) an entire attunement almost completely useless (air) in most occasions (boss are immune to the Whole attunement)

7) almost no finishers

8) condition based

That just to get 2 advantages as range and more variety of fields?

In the end its good only if you really need those 1200+ (aoe) range rather than 900.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ninth Requiem.3250

Ninth Requiem.3250

I used to use staff in dungeons, due to it’s AoE blastiness and supportitude.
I’ve since swapped to S/D; I found that 90% of the time I wasn’t using the full extent of the AoE, I learned I could be a lot more mobile rather than stand as far back as possible to avoid damage.
S/D gives you access to a lot of blast finishers; being able to trigger AoE might stacks at an incredible rate is just awesome. I do sometimes swap back to staff if I need a lot of CC in a fight, but generally it’s just not worth it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I like D/F in dungeons quite a lot. The support spells are just great.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Elementalist

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

i mainly use D/D in dungeons (vigor on crit helps survivability amazingly) but switch to staff for certain things (those parts where you absolutely can not be in melee range/cant hit things with D/D – and swap renewing stamina for blasting staff) anything a warr/guard can melee; you can D/D (just dont stand there like a statue and get hit)

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

I used to do D/D in dungeons as a healer healing allies around me. But since the guardians and wariors do a fine job at that already with their shout builds I figured I’d try something different so I tried S/F and its amazing. Still wondering what runes and armor stats I should go for to complement the S/F weaponskills.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sacrypheyes.6043

Sacrypheyes.6043

staff is nice when you want/need to stay too far from the fight.
far from necessary, but at least you can’t really do wrong with the staff but the lack of mobility in combat (swiftness in combat makes too little of a difference in terms of run speed) can be a bother for some fights imo.