Staff projectiles too slow for PVP?

in Elementalist

Posted by: MeatHugger.5768

MeatHugger.5768

Just played an sPVP game with as a staff ele and every other auto attack on a moving target was either “Obstructed” or “Out of range”. And this was on flat land with no walls around and definitely in range. Why is this a thing? Is staff just useless in PVP?

It seems all you have to do to negate any fireballs is just strafe back and forth really quickly…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Staff has low uses in PvP. If you do this, it is very high skill play to be effective. I did encounter good staff players but they are rare.
Staff shines in PvE and WvW (Zerg/Keep combat).

in Elementalist

Posted by: Guizao.4167

Guizao.4167

Just played an sPVP game with as a staff ele and every other auto attack on a moving target was either “Obstructed” or “Out of range”. And this was on flat land with no walls around and definitely in range. Why is this a thing? Is staff just useless in PVP?

It seems all you have to do to negate any fireballs is just strafe back and forth really quickly…

I play staff ele in pvp since when I first bought this game (2012) and my main problems with staff are:

• Short skill range (most of my AAs miss my targets because of this)
  • Lots of DPS inconsistence: meteor shower used to be good. Lava Font was always terrible against moving targets.
  • Lack of soft CC: frozen ground is easily avoidable.
  • Huge, but huge CDs, which makes you think wisely on what you’ll put on your utilities in order to compensate those CDs.
It’s all about THE COLORS

in Elementalist

Posted by: MrJefferson.1704

MrJefferson.1704

I’m just going to put this here: (see signature)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

I will never understand how we can cast lightning that moves slower the arrows of other classes. I didn’t know we were chronomancers lol.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Staff attacks are also too slow for WvW. Chain lightning needs a serious buff in speed for example to be somewhat reliable. When the game was released 1-2k for 3 targets meant something and I remember finishing people with it. Today it’s completely useless, people just regenerate health faster.

In the current meta only high damage bursts or skills are good (or condis), everything that does lower damage becomes worthless. And most elementalist skills are in that low damage zone, the other ones are too slow to be really reliable (ice spike – dragon tooth are to the extreme). Meanwhile a class like the Revenant can just press “2” and 1-shot an elementalist for 17k.

When you think that a skill like Eruption could have a 50% faster cast speed and 33% damage increase and it still wouldn’t make much of a difference for the other classes then you realize just how bad the class has been balanced.

in Elementalist

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

whisper josre if you need help with staff pvp

it can work, you just need practice

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

in Elementalist

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I find staff to be very strong.

Pics have 600k to nearly a million damage. Don’t use Auto attacks, staff is not designed for Auto attacks, it’s for fast rotations and self sustaining fields/blasts.

Although I play mine with a Berserker or Marauder Amulet, it can still be used with Amulets like Sage.

Attachments:

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)