State of Ele/Okey for scrubs?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avipt.9632

Avipt.9632

So im thinking of coming back to GW2 due being tired of everything else i guess and its free. But im pretty casual and thought id try something else. Now how are Eles in PvE and PvP also im not really good at this game. hacing a hard time with mechanics. How are eles for casuals?

in Elementalist

Posted by: hornswroggle.8023

hornswroggle.8023

As someone having played Ele as my first char from 1-80 I can give you a pretty good breakdown.

Ele is one of the most intricate classes in the entire game. Much like the revenant swaps multiple sets of utilities around with his legends, the ele is handling basically 4 weapon sets at a time. Managing your cooldowns across all 4 attunements is key to mastering the Ele.

This unique property makes the Ele incredibly flexible. He can adapt to a multitude of situations within an instant.
However this flexibility comes at a cost: The Ele has a very steep learning curve to it. If you really want to learn Ele for yourself I recommend playing it from ground up with minimal boosting since the game gradually unlocks the mechanics so you have time to understand each of them.
If it had not been my first class, I myself would not want to put myself through learning it now. So I’m afraid Ele might not be the best choice for you.
Many say: “Understanding the Ele means understanding Guild Wars 2.” If you get yourself through this process you will have a very good grasp of many if not all ingame mechanics, but only if you want to learn them to their depth.

If you have trouble understanding the mechanics of the game or are not into the whole learning process, either a Warrior, Ranger, or Necromancer should be a better choice.

tl;dr: If you want to learn the game: Start with Ele! If you want to stay at the casual level, which is totally fine (not everyone wants to get in deep), don’t do it.

(edited by hornswroggle.8023)

in Elementalist

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I’m not sure Elementalist and “having a hard time with mechanics” go together at all. It’s one of the more intense classes with regards to mechanics. Same with PvP and “casual”, as well as the the same issue with mechanics.

As an Elementalist, you have to memorize 20 weapons skills… not 10 like most of the other classes (excluding Engineer which can be even higher than 20). I say memorize because you can only see 5 at a time, and there are 15 others for your inactive attunements. You need to know those skills in your head so you can smartly decide which attunement to switch to given your current combat situation.

If you like to play with different weapons for different game modes, then the problem compounds. I still getting use to off-hand focus which, until recently, I never played. After about a week I’m feeling comfortable with it (and that’s only 8 skills!).

I’ve been playing Elementalist for years and it’s the class I have the most hours on. After all that I wouldn’t even call myself “good”… I’m happy just being “competent”.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

For PvE, eles are in a pretty good place, with a few decent build directions (fire-camping staff, fresh-air dagger/x) and even has the ability to provide good support if you want. For casual open-world PvE, you can even build pretty tanky if you are struggling, and survive most content just fine.

For PvP, eles aren’t in the best place. You can play a support dagger-focus build that leaves decent margin for error, but takes quite a high skill-cap to effectively provide support rather than waste all your utilities selfishly. If you aren’t good with the build, you will fall behind where you would be with other classes. Alternatively, there is a burst build that isn’t all that great, but works against casual opponents. This build is very hard to play, and you will end up being adjusted to play against opponents with lower general skill (rotations, dodge timing, etc.) who have much easier and stronger builds carrying them.

Thus, PvE you can do great (this is true for all classes), but PvP there isn’t a great beginner’s build that will have you doing well without a good amount of game/class knowledge.