Stay Elementalist or not?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Autumn.8043

Autumn.8043

I was just wondering if people think that I should stick to Ele.

I’ve pretty much guessed that my friend won’t play much but me on the other hand I want to play this game 24/7, can’t get enough.
Is Ele a viable option to run by my self?

I want to point out that I’m a complete noob. The combat I’m fine with, I’m unfamiliar with the mechanics such as what I have to do during this Halloween event etc..

If you think Ele isn’t a viable option for a noob, then what should I be?

I like the look of -
Theif
Necromancer
Mesmer

Don’t get my wrong I love Ele and I get comments from people saying I’m doing a good job.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The Elementalist is certainly a viable option, but you’ll have to be prepared to spend a significant amount of time into learning the profession. Not only do you need to pretty much know your weapon skills by heart but you’ll also need to have a good idea of what certain combos will do. All of this so you can plan ahead what move you’re gonna make. Then there’s dodging, avoiding damage, etc…which the elementalist will need to do better than any other professions due to our low inherent defense.

Basically, when you pick an Elementalist, you’ll have to be prepared to work harder than other professions. But when you do master it, it’s a lot of FUN to play.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: KOK.2650

KOK.2650

I like the look of -
Thief
Necromancer
Mesmer

You should go if you think other class look better. Trust me ,this game is all about looks.

Kok -lvl 80 warrior Tsukoyu-lvl 80 elementalist
Ayumu-lvl 80 Necromancer
Tsu-lvl 80 thief

in Elementalist

Autumn.8043

Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that. By looks good I meant I had played around with them up to a few levels and in the mists and like the way they play. I didn’t mean in a cosmetic sense.

Thanks ThiBash for the info.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bond.4813

Bond.4813

Depends on what you want to do in game. PvE or PvP? PvE is easy for all, just slooower and more dangerous for ele. PvP just roll mesmer… or a thief. You wont kill much with ele outside zerg and you will be just squishy to any burst dmg.

in Elementalist

Autumn.8043

PvE mostly, with a little PvP.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

PvE mostly, with a little PvP.

The Elementalist is decent in both fields. We just require a higher skill level and gear. Unfortunately gear is a major factor in our survival. Also, you aren’t going to be mowing down enemies as fast as others, but more of a dragged out process. Bunker builds still die, but not as fast as burst builds. We are really good for stacking might on our allies, so if you enjoy the guerrilla warfare approach and love lots of combo-chaining, then stick with Ele. I started with Ele, leveled to 80, and now when I try to switch to another profession, they do survive easier, but they get boring real fast.

Best of luck in your choice!

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

in Elementalist

KOK.2650

Play in the spvp for like 10 rounds , take a tally on the number of people playing each class.
You get this
1)Thief (most Common)
2)Warrior
3)Mesmer
4)Guardian
5)Necromancer
6)Engineer
7)Elementalist
8)Ranger (least Common)
And this list somehow looks similar to contribution chart.
Maybe that answered your question.

Ayumu-lvl 80 Necromancer
Tsu-lvl 80 thief

in Elementalist

Bond.4813

From personal expirience thief is very survivable in both (sword/pistol spec), has same hp and pretty good healing with signet (on hit heal) and food that heals on crit. I found it lots more survivable than ele. And way more dmg. However in pve you wont be meleeing bosses often. In pvp it can get borring when you just wont die due to escape abilities or just plain nuking people into oblivion (ele’s are my fav targets :p).

Necromance i played only lvl 80 geared up on friends account. I found it quite strong and survivable a bit more than ele. In pvp its just lol fun. Dots galore. People say its bugged a lot but i didnt notice anything gamebreaking like with ele’s. No big numbers on dmg but LOTS of small numbers.

Mesmer… king of pvp. Ppl say it sucks in pve but my guildies dont complain… cant say for sure.

Also check guardians and warriors. They have it rather easy as well.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Netglen.7826

Netglen.7826

“From personal expirience thief is very survivable in both (sword/pistol spec),”

A few nights back in WvW, I personally saw a thief take out 7 of us and then destroy a catapult. Maybe the thief was L.80 with full gear and had a lot of talent. He took his time and got the results. One guy would go down, and when we would start to rez, he would popback in and kill a rezzer and so forth. While we were laying down ELE AoE or ENG flamethrower attacks to hunt for him, he would pretty much insta kill the catapult operator.

in Elementalist

Bond.4813

Thats one skilled thief to pull that off. Best i could do was go vs 4 and “win” (just to be zerged before i could stomp em). And that took me very careful playing since i dont use stealth. Had to pop in and out of range and blast people trying to ress those i downed. Eventually got all 4 down And just as i was to stomp first one i droped instantly to a zerg (had i seen em i would have survived easy).

in Elementalist

Posted by: Netglen.7826

Netglen.7826

At one point we did get him near death. The thief was on the ground with 10% health with one person attempting the death blow while the rest were hammering away at him. Suddenly he moves or blinks away from the deathblow, he’s back on his feet at 60% life and vanishes.

in Elementalist

Bond.4813

He has 1 blink (like ele #2, just instant port to desired location) and stealth that comes rather late and can interupt as well but doesnt move you. Ressing up was probably rally since some1 died.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Expansive.3716

Expansive.3716

@Netglen: wow that sounded like a pretty hardcore thief. That would have left me devastated if he took on 7 ppl and succeeded.

And as for Ele. The profession is fun but you’ll have to put in a lot of work

in Elementalist

Posted by: Expansive.3716

Expansive.3716

Play in the spvp for like 10 rounds , take a tally on the number of people playing each class.
You get this
1)Thief (most Common)
2)Warrior
3)Mesmer
4)Guardian
5)Necromancer
6)Engineer
7)Elementalist
8)Ranger (least Common)
And this list somehow looks similar to contribution chart.
Maybe that answered your question.

and is this really accurate?

It saddens me that my two favorite classes are at the bottom. I knew about the elementalist being of the least played but ranger least played? I guess after the short bow fix, then everyone dropped the class.

I still enjoy the ranger though

in Elementalist

Autumn.8043

Thanks for the input.

I’m level 14 at the moment and have just started to find it getting a bit tougher.
I use staff because I prefer it, I find I chain skills together better.

I will admit that I seem to kill things slower than any other class.
I’m thinking of having my Ele as an Alt and maybe switch to something else for my main so I can farm easier etc..
I’m not sure yet, I’ll give it a bit longer.

in Elementalist

Bond.4813

Staff is just bad for killing fast. I used scepter/dagger. Casting dragons tooth and following with phoenix they land almost at same time. Phoenix can do 3x dmg if you aim it just lil bit behind enemy. After firewall (cast so it hits enemy on cast since it has initial dmg) and firegrab (if its not on cd…) you pretty much must switch attunment to either air or earth (prefer air due to higher direct dmg) to finish creep if it wont die from burning by itself. Never resort to autoattacking in scepter fire unless its to inflict burning for firegrab.
And yes, attunment dancing is mandatory for ele if you dont like swaping u shouldnt play ele. And elemental attunment (arcane trait V) is mandatory. Traiting into fire is… soooo not worth it.
As for how ele should be played check this player: http://www.youtube.com/user/daphoenix555?feature=watch
He outplays others by so much its unbelivable and still what he does in all 4 attunments i can do on thief by pressing 2 buttons It makes ele fun to play till u meet glass cannon thief that insta gibs u. Or a mesmer. Or engineer. Or…

(edited by Bond.4813)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lorian.4028

Lorian.4028

@bond that little dragon tooth+phoenix combo reminds me of one I loved to do in prophecies GW1, as an electronic I would tag the enemy with incendiary bonds and throw a fireball, the bonds would hit at the same time as the fireball, nice little burst. Ah nostalgia.

in Elementalist

Posted by: NatashaK.9418

NatashaK.9418

The easiest PvE classes are guardian and ranger.

Ele is one of the more challenging as a twitch class as you really can’t take a hit and expect to live.
Mesmer is challenging because gear itemization and builds are very specific – Frankenstein builds and gear really do no damage.
Necro is also very good for pve and pvp.
People are either good at thieves or they aren’t…they can be extreamly frustrating for beginners and devastating in the right hands.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

Ele can do well you just have to be willing to put in the work. I find I kill things fast enough and have good survivability and versatility as well. And Ele is fun because it’s an interesting, busy class so you won’t ever get bored. I find my alts are fun but being much easier and simpler they get boring.

So ignore all the people saying Eles suck because they don’t. If you want to play an Ele go for it, just know you’ll have to put more work into mastering the class and I’d recommend coming to the forums and elsewhere on the internet to read up on it. On the other hand if you want something easier there’s nothing wrong with that. Thief, Necro, and Mesmer are all good classes so I’d just ask you what style you are looking for? Personally I like Mesmer best out of the 3 but they are all viable if you want something other than an Ele.

in Elementalist

KOK.2650

As for how ele should be played check this player: http://www.youtube.com/user/daphoenix555?feature=watch
He outplays others by so much its unbelivable and still what he does in all 4 attunments i can do on thief by pressing 2 buttons It makes ele fun to play till u meet glass cannon thief that insta gibs u. Or a mesmer. Or engineer. Or…

Her thief friends kill 3 of them. The video make a great nerf thief video
So you suggesting we go into spvp spamming flashy move in tank spec no less so that a friendly Asura thief can kill all of them? Good plan. In fact that is a great idea. I going to do it tonight

Ayumu-lvl 80 Necromancer
Tsu-lvl 80 thief

in Elementalist

KOK.2650

It saddens me that my two favorite classes are at the bottom. I knew about the elementalist being of the least played but ranger least played? I guess after the short bow fix, then everyone dropped the class.

I still enjoy the ranger though

Actually Mesmer is the least played PvE character and ranger is one of the most played char in open world PvE. The list is accurate if you take spvp into account only.

Ayumu-lvl 80 Necromancer
Tsu-lvl 80 thief

in Elementalist

Bond.4813

Her thief friends kill 3 of them. The video make a great nerf thief video
So you suggesting we go into spvp spamming flashy move in tank spec no less so that a friendly Asura thief can kill all of them? Good plan. In fact that is a great idea. I going to do it tonight

Thats a list of several vids. Dunno where you saw thief but in vids i saw from him he was solo at least most of time.

in Elementalist

KOK.2650

@Bond
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3r0eQczl0E&feature=plcp
I look at this video and found out that IN EVERY SINGLE battle, she has a thief with her. PS:the thief is small and she is spamming flashy move.
I have no idea what solo move you talking about.
And all the wvw fight( I watch 2 of them) is group play which I admit she is good. But then going DD mean that she is useless in zerg fight.

Ayumu-lvl 80 Necromancer
Tsu-lvl 80 thief

in Elementalist

Autumn.8043

Ele can do well you just have to be willing to put in the work. I find I kill things fast enough and have good survivability and versatility as well. And Ele is fun because it’s an interesting, busy class so you won’t ever get bored. I find my alts are fun but being much easier and simpler they get boring.

So ignore all the people saying Eles suck because they don’t. If you want to play an Ele go for it, just know you’ll have to put more work into mastering the class and I’d recommend coming to the forums and elsewhere on the internet to read up on it. On the other hand if you want something easier there’s nothing wrong with that. Thief, Necro, and Mesmer are all good classes so I’d just ask you what style you are looking for? Personally I like Mesmer best out of the 3 but they are all viable if you want something other than an Ele.

I love Ele but I am finding it hard Solo. I picked Ele to work with my friend that is why I brought then a copy of the game but they don’t play much now :/. When I first saw GW2 I wanted to be a Necro, didn’t even think of another class. I’m not sure why I then didn’t go Necro much I think I might give it a go, what is the best weapons for Necro?

in Elementalist

Bond.4813

@kok
There are 15 vids. And me linking that list was to show the nature of ele playstyle, not to show how op ele is (i know its not… should be obvious from my posts).

in Elementalist

Autumn.8043

I was just wondering if people think that I should stick to Ele.

I’ve pretty much guessed that my friend won’t play much but me on the other hand I want to play this game 24/7, can’t get enough.
Is Ele a viable option to run by my self?

I want to point out that I’m a complete noob. The combat I’m fine with, I’m unfamiliar with the mechanics such as what I have to do during this Halloween event etc..

If you think Ele isn’t a viable option for a noob, then what should I be?

I like the look of -
Theif
Necromancer
Mesmer

Don’t get my wrong I love Ele and I get comments from people saying I’m doing a good job.

What a pointless, dumb post. Who gives a care about what class you play except for you?

Which would make your reply equally pointless.
Now I remember why I’m socially awkward and prefer my own company :/

I’m done here now, Close, Lock W/e.