Support Ele: Still viable?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Galen.9042

Galen.9042

I returned to GW2 this week after quitting just after the first Wintersday event. Back then I played a D/D bunker elementalist with a focus on support in dungeon runs and fractals. I was always very happy with my level of survivability and group healing back then, but upon returning to the game, I’ve found the build to be quite lacking.

However, looking around the elementalist forum, I can see plenty of information about dps builds, but nothing about support builds. The game has changed quite a bit since I left, so I was hoping for some feedback from experienced elementalists about the current state of the class, and whether a support role is still viable.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

You won’t find many support builds because the meta-thinking currently is “support the team by killing things faster”. In PvE type stuff, that’s pretty much what you want to do.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arcturus.8109

Arcturus.8109

You will be kicked very, very fast if you get in dungeon/fractal as “support d/d ele”.

in Elementalist

Galen.9042

Fair enough, sounds like the meta’s changed. Figured it probably would have in over a year.

Fortunately my 1575 gems I had lying around in my account have skyrocketed in value, so I’ll just re-equip myself with some DPS gear. Thanks for the feedback.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

That depends on what you mean by ‘support’. If you mean healing, then no (but I doubt a full healer ele was ever needed). If you mean offensive support (might, fury, vulnerability) then yes, you’d be quite valuable to the team. However, given that the optimal trait (Persisting Flames) for that is in Fire Magic, you’ll be a damage dealer anyway.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: P Fun Daddy.1208

P Fun Daddy.1208

Fair enough, sounds like the meta’s changed. Figured it probably would have in over a year.

Fortunately my 1575 gems I had lying around in my account have skyrocketed in value, so I’ll just re-equip myself with some DPS gear. Thanks for the feedback.

I know right? I got the game about a month after it came out, and gems were like 50 silver/100 gems.
I really should have invested back then, could have made myself quite the profit.

in Elementalist

Galen.9042

I know right? I got the game about a month after it came out, and gems were like 50 silver/100 gems.
I really should have invested back then, could have made myself quite the profit.

Oh, if I had the foresight, I would have filled my bank with iron ore back when there was a colossal glut on the market. I could scarcely believe how much it was going for on the AH when I was looking to craft some of the new ascended stuff.

On topic, I found a might stacking Scepter-Dagger build that I’m really enjoying, with LH thrown in for some situational DPS. Kind of surprised that Scepter DPS is still so terrible though.